Search found 173 matches

by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:24 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Belial wrote:Oooo, forum rules.
In this case, are stupid.
Follow them. This is not available for further discussion in this thread.
Bye.
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

And that's why we don't double post. Also of note, Acts 2:22 is one of the places where the KJV isn't authoritative: the Gideon Bible, the NRSV, the New English Bible, and the NIV all omit terminology of foreknowledge: Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to ...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Belial wrote:
redwards wrote:3 comments, 3 posts. Eat me.


Silas wrote:And that's why we don't double post.


No.

*I* am why you don't doublepost. Cut it the hell out.

You have an edit button just like everyone else, redwards. Use it. You too, random832
Oooh, Essays full of edits >>> 2 posts! :roll:
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Silas wrote:When you make claims about what the Bible says, it's customary to cite chapter and verse.
I did.
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:48 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Is there any scripture that claims that he knows what will happen before it happens? Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: First, don't triple post, it's annoying. 3 comments, 3 posts. Eat me....
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:44 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Only if the universe is deterministic. If it is not, then omniscience does not imply knowledge of future events. And free will implies the universe is not deterministic. Therefore, God has no knowledge of future events. No, us having free will was not part of the conclusion of my argument in that p...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

Omnipotence/Omniscience + creation = knowing the exact outcome of every event at the moment of creation. Only if the universe is deterministic. If it is not, then omniscience does not imply knowledge of future events. And free will implies the universe is not deterministic. Therefore, God has no kn...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:59 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

You're still missing the point. If I am omniscient and omnipotent, and I created you, I know when I create you which door you're going to take. Because I could have created you differently, in such a way as to make you choose the other door, but chose not to, I have predetermined which door you wil...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Girl dies as parents pray for healing of treatable illness.
Replies: 172
Views: 14520

Re: Girl dies as parents pray for healing of treatable illness.

I don't see what is arguing with itself here. I don't think refusal of medical help is a religious thing in all cases, but this case appears to be. I don't think anything can happen to the parents, I don't think it's right for that to be the case, but I can't justify forcing people to accept treatm...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Girl dies as parents pray for healing of treatable illness.
Replies: 172
Views: 14520

Re: Girl dies as parents pray for healing of treatable illness.

I don't see what is arguing with itself here. I don't think refusal of medical help is a religious thing in all cases, but this case appears to be. I don't think anything can happen to the parents, I don't think it's right for that to be the case, but I can't justify forcing people to accept treatm...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:05 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Evolutionary Psychology
Replies: 190
Views: 19078

Re: Evolutionary Psychology

It does a good job explaining what we already know, true I think that gives EvPsych too much credit. EvPsych uses circular reasoning, like so: 1. There is a current phenomenon X. 2. How can we explain X? Maybe Y happened in the past to make it happen. 3. If Y is true, then it would cause X. 4. Oh l...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:58 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

I watch a toddler go down the stairs. I know that he is going to fall; does that toddler not have free will because I know he's going to fall down the stairs? Knowledge of a coming event does not preclude the free will of the participants of that event. You're missing the point. If you created the ...
by redwards
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)
Replies: 201
Views: 12356

Re: Christians Should Beat Up The Homeless (if they want)

I watch a toddler go down the stairs. I know that he is going to fall; does that toddler not have free will because I know he's going to fall down the stairs? Knowledge of a coming event does not preclude the free will of the participants of that event. You're missing the point. If you created the ...
by redwards
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:52 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Illegal Immigration.
Replies: 498
Views: 41401

Re: Illegal Immigration.

but the idea is that there are immigrants who come here illegally (or legally with a technicality, like the marriage example) and take more than just the busboy or bathroom cleaner jobs. i can guarantee there are people from asia here illegally taking IT/dev/engineering jobs. i can also guarantee t...
by redwards
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Illegal Immigration.
Replies: 498
Views: 41401

Re: Illegal Immigration.

Gunfingers wrote:There's more to illegal immigration than mexican stereotypes.
Sure, but there's very little more to the argument about illegal immigration.
by redwards
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:20 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Illegal Immigration.
Replies: 498
Views: 41401

Re: Illegal Immigration.

If you have a highschool diploma, you aren't competing with an illegal immigrant for a job. It's that simple. youd be surprised. i work with a guy from Romania who came here and married for citizenship. he works in IT. now whether you want to technically call that legal, thats a totally different d...
by redwards
Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:00 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Illegal Immigration.
Replies: 498
Views: 41401

Re: Illegal Immigration.

Well in many cases illegals are being hired over citizens, because they can be hired cheaper. I won't speculate percentages or anything, i'm just saying that the issue isn't quite that clear-cut. Increasing the number of people legally accepted into the country would definitely be a good way to sta...
by redwards
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Illegal Immigration.
Replies: 498
Views: 41401

Re: Illegal Immigration.

There have been some interesting points made in this thread. I obviously have a particular viewpoint on certain aspects of immigration, and others have their own. Yet, most of the people who have a negative viewpoint about illegal immigrants have yet to discuss the morality of the laws in place. Wh...
by redwards
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:44 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: I feel like my friend is joining a cult (homeopathy)
Replies: 61
Views: 12974

Re: I feel like my friend is joining a cult (homeopathy)

Homeopathic medicine is the ridiculous belief that illnesses can be treated with extremely dilute (I'm talking 1 in 10^30 molecules) substances. In every controlled, properly done study, it was proven to be no more effective than water...which is why I don't understand why my friend wants to study ...
by redwards
Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:14 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Creationism
Replies: 914
Views: 91139

Re: Creationism

I think what Anpheus is saying is that God should never become a variable in the rules. The rules should be internally consistent, rational, and independant of God. However, this doesn't contradict the notion that God makes the rules. It does directly contradict the notion that he meddles. If you w...
by redwards
Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

Actually, atheism means that you don't believe in God, it's an absolute disbelief. (Which honestly, how can we know that...) I swear to any and all gods that may or may not exist: if we get into the "no, atheism means this !" argument one more time, I'm turning these fora around and drivi...
by redwards
Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Are placebos ever a good thing?
Replies: 49
Views: 5486

Re: Are placebos ever a good thing?

Placebos are useful for use as a control in a double-blind medical study. That's about it. Instances of the documented effect of placebos overwhelmingly occur within subjectively determined criteria, and rarely in objectively determined criteria. For instance, a placebo for pain may often result in ...
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Peak oil?
Replies: 137
Views: 13167

Re: Peak oil?

5. Replacing the worlds automotive fleet with electrics (as we would need to do if we replaced oil with nuclear) cant be done, because there is not enough lithium in the earths crust to make the necessary batteries (being that it is the case that lithium ion is the only currently workable storage m...
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:27 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

Well put, Greyarcher. Someone around here once had a signature that ran something like "Let me never fall into the trap of thinking that I am persecuted simply because I am disagreed with", and attributed to some famous guy. It applies. Also, who was that? I have totally forgotten. Emerson
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

miraidesuka wrote:If you're saying Transubstantiation does exist, I've got a nice cyanide communion wafer for you. :D

If you're saying it doesn't, then I'm lauging along.


I'm saying it's an example of something that's easily falsifiable. All you need is a Catholic willing to have his stomach pumped on Sunday.
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

Sure there is, climb mount Olympus and say high to them. As to Christianity, most branches have beliefs that are quite falsifiable. The problem is that these beliefs are often falsified, and the people who believe these things take issue with it, and try to say that the experiment wasn't done right...
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

Enigma90825 wrote:Has anybody here read the book Angels and Demons? I think Dan Brown makes a really good argument here (this text may be edited from the original book source)


I doubt that Dan Brown even agrees with that argument. Just a character spewing a load of utter crap.
by redwards
Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 185656

Re: Religion

I'm not certain I know how to respond to this. Just saying 'religion' is almost too broad a topic. I'm pretty sure every forum on the internet has had a 90 page religion slugfest at one point in time. Can you narrow down your area of interest? I'm also going to go ahead and guess that xkcd is about ...
by redwards
Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?
Replies: 303
Views: 23898

Re: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?

Interesting thought. It would depend on how many people you can get to do this and how much it costs them per click. I personally wouldn't want to get involved, though, because that seems rather underhanded to me. The "scripting-it" aspect is what would make it so that it really wouldn't ...
by redwards
Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?
Replies: 303
Views: 23898

Re: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?

So I had an idea. I know the internet is about 99% the Ronpaul supporters these days.... How much of an impact could it have on the warchests if we all ganged up and started clicking on ads for a given set of candidates (say, the top three Republican candidates) which are hosted on websites? There's...
by redwards
Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?
Replies: 303
Views: 23898

Re: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?

@ all of the "he has no chance in hell" people: Maybe I just spend to much time on the internet (a.k.a. RonPaulForPresidentville), but I thought the recent announcement that Paul had raised 5 million dollars in Q3, up 114% from the previous quarter, where Rudy and Romney had each raised ab...
by redwards
Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?
Replies: 303
Views: 23898

Re: So who's voting for the Ronpaul in the primaries?

How about a "No, I'm not a registered Republican" option?
by redwards
Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Non-Religious Leader
Replies: 57
Views: 6550

Re: Non-Religious Leader

The difference between believers and atheists is that believers obey to morality where atheists decide their morality. I think it would be more accurate to say that if directly questioned, those groups will claim those sources for their morality. The reality is likely much more complicated. The vas...
by redwards
Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:24 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Peak oil?
Replies: 137
Views: 13167

Re: Peak oil?

Fine, but that doesn't change the fact that the diagram is completely useless if it's going to ignore major sources of oil. I mean, you might as well put together a diagram only showing car sales from the Big 3 and go on to claim that car ownership is on the decline in the US. If you want to follow...
by redwards
Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:24 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Peak oil?
Replies: 137
Views: 13167

Re: Peak oil?

That diagram claims that Canada hit its peak oil production in the 1970s. That claim is absurd: there are more than 1000 billion barrels of oil recoverable using today's technology in the Athabasca tar sands. Now, it costs about $40/barrel to produce oil from the tar sands, so it's only profitable ...
by redwards
Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Non-Religious Leader
Replies: 57
Views: 6550

Re: Non-Religious Leader

So... if you decide you like objectivism, hang around the Ayn Rand section of the bookstore until you find some depressed goth who can lend an ear ::steps out of topic:: If you like getting advice from people who, generally speaking, hate everything you stand for? Goth tends to be characterized by ...
by redwards
Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:27 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2476426

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. You exist forever. You can't stop. You get to see the ultimate fate of the universe. It's really boring, cold, and you get really hungry after a few trillion. I wish I did not exist Granted. I'll put in a request to the mods to have your account banned. It'll be all the same to the rest of...
by redwards
Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:20 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Non-Religious Leader
Replies: 57
Views: 6550

Re: Non-Religious Leader

True, Atheism isn't really an organized religion. But I keep thinking about how many communities in the US are religion centered. You'll have the mayor but the pastor is also an important leader. I was thinking about what kind of leader you would have for non-religion ethical questions. But Gunfing...
by redwards
Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Respecting others' opinions and beliefs.
Replies: 32
Views: 2920

Re: Respecting others' opinions and beliefs.

Again I find serious fault in this forum. I agree with too many of you to make this thread interesting for me. Then... start a controversy subject? Actually i see your point, but the thing is a lot of people go here for help, so it's purpose isn't only to debate over topics, even thought most of it...

Go to advanced search