Search found 422 matches

by lorb
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability problem
Replies: 13
Views: 1673

Re: Probability problem

DavidSh wrote:Perhaps Goahead52 can clarify the values of B, R, and N for the following situation, because I don't think it follows lorb's bound.


That is because I wrote D where it should have said N. :/
by lorb
Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability problem
Replies: 13
Views: 1673

Re: Probability problem

Am symmetry argument says that P(B=k) = P(R=k), but any further insight seems to be a combinatorial nightmare. Having exactly 50 red and 50 blue cells looks much harder than throwing a coin for each cell, because your cell colors stop being independent, making it much less likely to find a nice clo...
by lorb
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Is Scrapy overkill for this kind of task?
Replies: 4
Views: 2194

Re: Is Scrapy overkill for this kind of task?

It offers the advantage of not having to build the whole tech stack that you outlined. You just run scrapy and don't do b) and c). All you need is to install scrapy and write a python snippet of code that is about 10 lines, or run it from scrapy cloud and you don't even have to install anything. I c...
by lorb
Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: "There is an Exception to every rule"
Replies: 32
Views: 4202

"There is an Exception to every rule"

Is the sentence "There is an Exception to every rule" a version of the liars paradox? Because for it to be true, it must itself have an exception, but that would make it false. Is this the same as the liars paradox, or something different?
by lorb
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:58 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Math without calculators
Replies: 33
Views: 16428

Re: Math without calculators

That's not true. There is definitely some math that requires a calculator because it is easy to use but very hard to actually do by hand. The trigonometric functions came to mind for example. Sure it would be possible to teach how to use sin() and cos() without actually using them, but that makes th...
by lorb
Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?
Replies: 319
Views: 35430

Re: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?

I tend to agree, but it's a good starting point if one wants to get serious about epistemology. To understand Descartes attempt at Foundationalism yields valuable insights how to methodologically attempt to get hold of an absolute truth. Like in mathematics where you first learn to do euclidian divi...
by lorb
Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?
Replies: 319
Views: 35430

Re: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?

I do believe you all are giving up on absolute truths way too fast. Though it is rather an epistemological question and doesn't really concern mathematics much, so it should also be discussed within an epistemological framework. Mathematics itself does not provide any clues about whether it's theori...
by lorb
Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: energy currency?
Replies: 63
Views: 10648

Re: energy currency?

If you can't find an immediate use, then trade for a longer-lasting resource. But they all depreciate in the end. You are still missing one of the points made in criticism here in this thread: sometimes it's impossible to find anyone who would be willing to give you anything at all for your energy ...
by lorb
Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Wikipedia wars
Replies: 31
Views: 1510

Re: Wikipedia wars

This game kind of already exists in an online version for single player: http://thewikigame.com/6-degrees-of-wikipedia
by lorb
Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Personal Goal.
Replies: 3
Views: 7714

Re: Personal Goal.

Today is November 15, 2016.
by lorb
Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 548526

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

I'm honestly very proud to say I'm straight, I'm a Christian, I'm a conservative, I'm a Republican, and I supported Trump since the first debate of the Republican primary. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-president-supporters-attack-muslims-hijab-hispanics-...
by lorb
Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:15 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Problem with probability of students' scores
Replies: 4
Views: 1507

Re: Problem with probability of students' scores

While mann-whitney-wilcoxon indeed uses more information but only tells you whether the scores have a different "median". In this case it tells you if one of the groups of students is doing better/worse on the test than the other. It's a good choice if that is what you want to know and if ...
by lorb
Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:48 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Problem with probability of students' scores
Replies: 4
Views: 1507

Re: Problem with probability of students' scores

The gold-standard for discrete variables is a chi-squared test. (Test scores are usually discrete.) As a rule of thumb there should be at least 5 data-points per bin, so you may need to pool values together. If you prefer to treat them as continuous you may use a Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or something...
by lorb
Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:30 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Efficiency of prime sieve
Replies: 7
Views: 2836

Re: Efficiency of prime sieve

You can get some ideas from here: http://primesieve.org/#implementation
The source code is also available on github. Depending on why you want/need to do this it may also be easier to just run a script to wget a list of primes.
by lorb
Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 548526

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

... and I don't get the impression that anyone with a degree in Social Work is voting Republican. There is many people not fitting your stereotype(s). ACU has a very significant overlap of students/graduates in their social work programme and college republicans membership. Also I'm not sure splitt...
by lorb
Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 548526

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

Besides, she didn't collect a salary from the Clinton Foundation -- claiming that these donations are bribes is like claiming that I'm bribing the cashier clerk at McDonalds every time I upsize my happy-meal. I do not believe that Hillary is a criminal openly taking bribes, but she is not absolutel...
by lorb
Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:31 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 548526

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

addams wrote:And! Dangerous!
Did we mention how dangerous politics in the U.S. is?


Please elaborate? What dangers are awaiting aspiring politicians at the local level, except frustration and boredom?
by lorb
Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:26 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Can't solve this simple puzzle. Help ?
Replies: 1
Views: 1526

Re: Can't solve this simple puzzle. Help ?

The patterns that the black dots form lose and gain axis of symmetry. Thus any rule governing their behaviour has to involve some outside source of direction. From the rule itself or from the central squares.
by lorb
Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0152: "Flood Death Valley"
Replies: 42
Views: 10822

Re: What-If 0152: "Flood Death Valley"

I guess TGLR was so distracted by temperature records that he neglected to answer the actual question. Agree with that. This what-if feels very weak, in that it talks very little about the actual question. So many paragraphs about temperature records and just two sentences about central parts of th...
by lorb
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Greatest Mathematician of all time?
Replies: 65
Views: 14032

Re: Greatest Mathematician of all time?

While some applications involving similar and right triangles have been around earlier than Thales he can be credited with having formalised and put them on a somewhat rigorous base. Also stuff like finding a proof that vertical angles are always the same. I don't think it's fair to say he didn't do...
by lorb
Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:27 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: Encryption for the Lich Queen's spys?
Replies: 9
Views: 3828

Re: Encryption for the Lich Queen's spys?

The question itself seems legit though. What if I send love-letters to my boy, but am afraid of anyone else reading them? What kind of encryption method that he can do by hand would be advisable?
by lorb
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 548526

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

This is another problem with the US's election system. The "safer" your state is, the less your vote counts. The rational person doesn't vote, because it doesn't matter. There is a way out of this for the safe states. The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact would in effect abolish th...
by lorb
Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: energy currency?
Replies: 63
Views: 10648

Re: energy currency?

So the actual currency would be energy storage systems, not energy.
Also I really think you should first read about how the current system of currency works, because you are demonstrating a lack of understanding some aspects of currency and how it works.
by lorb
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:26 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: energy currency?
Replies: 63
Views: 10648

Re: energy currency?

For most of us, money is a consumable, not a persistent claim. A system of energy coupons would accurately represent that kind of money. Now you just have to figure out a way to build an economy on that basis ... Energy is about 1000 times harder to store than food. So, at 3AM I can get energy coup...
by lorb
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Factorization using modular arithmetic
Replies: 41
Views: 5735

Re: Factorization using modular arithmetic

Goahead52 wrote:Now I can rest and cut off internet once for all.
No phone no internet no tv
Drinking fucking eating reading and that`s it.
by lorb
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:42 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should We Try Solar Radiation Management?
Replies: 89
Views: 9866

Re: Should We Try Solar Radiation Management?

@EMPT Governments are already attempting to limit CO2 emissions. SRM programs are not being undertaken, even though they are far cheaper per degree of heating averted. What? That is totally news to me. Source? From the top of my head I can name about ten ways to decrease/limit CO2 emissions that I ...
by lorb
Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:02 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Why are some linguistic patterns irritating?
Replies: 59
Views: 6151

Re: Why are some linguistic patterns irritating?

Something doesn't have to create any trouble in understanding to stop you for a moment. I am german and my language has a gender for every noun, if someone gets the gender wrong and says der instead of die or das, well it doesn't make it harder to understand them, the genders are superfluous and ca...
by lorb
Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:30 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Science-based what-if questions
Replies: 274
Views: 17176

Re: Science-based what-if questions

Sableagle wrote:[...] nobody wants to ski on really hard surfaces. [...]


Elite/high level competitive alpine skiing is done on very very very hard snow. Basically ice.
by lorb
Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: GOP Operative Confesses: Most PACs Are Scams
Replies: 30
Views: 4392

Re: GOP Operative Confesses: Most PACs Are Scams

Self-dealing is illegal and it looks very much like Trump did it.
by lorb
Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: are phonemic mergers making spelling more difficult?
Replies: 7
Views: 1977

Re: are phonemic mergers making spelling more difficult?

The problem I think arises when the mapping from graphemes to phonemes changes between words depending on factors that are independent from the orthography. An example would be the words "honest" vs "honed". The only reason one of them has a silent h is because it's a french loan...
by lorb
Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:44 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Science fleeting thoughts
Replies: 76
Views: 8058

Re: Science fleeting thoughts

I believe most "taking down of mountains" happens for stuff that is not very shiny at all.
by lorb
Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Fastest Minesweeper ever! What are the chances?
Replies: 14
Views: 2777

Re: Fastest Minesweeper ever! What are the chances?

hujackus wrote:40,000 expert games over the last 4 years


so about 30 games every day? for four years. how does it never get old?
by lorb
Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:10 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: You keep using that word...
Replies: 39
Views: 9545

Re: You keep using that word...

First you'll have to convince me that "theory" has a solid definition in the realm of science. The "theory" of evolution is well established, but string "theory" is just an unverified supposition supported by mathematics (no offense to the string theorists out there). ...
by lorb
Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:41 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Are "logical thinking" tests reliable/meaningful?
Replies: 19
Views: 2781

Re: Are "logical thinking" tests reliable/meaningful?

Note that one factor accounting for ~50% of variability is ridiculously good outside of the hard sciences. It's accounting for ~50% of the variability between individuals in cognitive tests. If a factor accounts for only 50% of the variability in test scores on a test that is supposed to measure th...
by lorb
Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:30 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Are "logical thinking" tests reliable/meaningful?
Replies: 19
Views: 2781

Re: Are "logical thinking" tests reliable/meaningful?

Do you really want to say the whole idea of intelligence is flawed? Yes it is. At least the idea that intelligence is a one-dimensional variable and every human having some ranking on this scale that puts them clearly above/below others with higher/lower score. It does have it's uses as you are des...
by lorb
Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:36 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: energy currency?
Replies: 63
Views: 10648

Re: energy currency?

...that works because a system that consists of banks, bunch of laws and the state guarantees that it can be... No, the system doesn't guarantee anything. It merely reassures people, which gives them another reason to want the currency. Ultimately, the only thing that government can do that actuall...
by lorb
Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: energy currency?
Replies: 63
Views: 10648

Re: energy currency?

Currency is only valuable because people want it. That is a bit of a simplification. Modern currency does not have much intrinsic value. People only want it because it can be exchanged for goods and services they want. And that works because a system that consists of banks, bunch of laws and the st...
by lorb
Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:15 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should We Try Solar Radiation Management?
Replies: 89
Views: 9866

Re: Should We Try Solar Radiation Management?

sardia wrote:In all seriousness, the most likely option is just mass murder under a more boring name. "I don't want to pay anymore taxes, instead of natural disaster relief funds, let's give white people more tax cuts."


There is a difference between murder and involuntary manslaughter.
by lorb
Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Goahead52's Math Posts
Replies: 148
Views: 9461

Re: Goahead52's Math Posts

Antoine Lavoisier was beheaded, but same as Archimedes, it was because of the political circumstances and had nothing to do with them being scientists.
by lorb
Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Goahead52's Math Posts
Replies: 148
Views: 9461

Re: Goahead52's Math Posts

Can you factor this number Goahead? I think if you can, everyone will agree you are brilliant mathematician. If you can't I think its fair to say you are an imposter. 179694915979410667329161284495732461563675618080126000708889188355317264603414909334933722478686507552308558641999292218144366847228...

Go to advanced search