Search found 3935 matches

by Robin S
Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

bigglesworth wrote:London has lots of good vegetarian restaurants I hear, and I've been meaning to try one some time.
It does indeed.
by Robin S
Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

I can't do Wednesday after about 7, but should otherwise be more-or-less free.
by Robin S
Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:16 am UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

Well, we missed / lost a couple of people largely due to my failure at organization, but overall I thought yesterday evening went quite well. Hope to see some of you again at Picocon, and maybe some of you who weren't able to make yesterday's event as well!
by Robin S
Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

Anyone who hasn't already, join the Facebook event for meeting arrangements, and so that we know numbers and who to wait for. See you all tomorrow evening!
by Robin S
Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:48 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

About the standard "popular science" level. If you follow science stories on sites like io9, you probably won't learn anything groundbreaking, but the interactive and social element still makes for a worthwhile experience.
by Robin S
Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

I'm definitely going, and a bunch of my friends are planning to go as well. Many of them read xkcd. I've created an open Facebook event here; feel free to join.
by Robin S
Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:53 am UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

I will almost definitely be there. Am up for meeting during the day if anyone else is about. Could get food in-between museum closing and re-opening times; plenty of good places nearby. Imperial College's sci-fi library is also practically next door, and all but guaranteed to be open in the afternoo...
by Robin S
Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

Yes, I should have recognized your photo. Hi!
by Robin S
Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 am UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

I'm in the London area and would be very much up for going to a Science Museum late. Another event that may be of interest to London-based forumites is Picocon . Definitely come if you're into speculative fiction (Charles Stross is speaking this year!), but come anyway even if you're not, because it...
by Robin S
Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 am UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

Wait. There was a meetup a couple of weeks ago, literally five minutes' walk away from where I currently am?

Damnit. :(

Can someone email me or something the next time this happens?
by Robin S
Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 am UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Deat

Hi all,

Just to add to the possible activities, the Royal Society's celebrating its 350th anniversary with a FESTIVAL OF SCIENCE. I'll be there. Will you?

P.S. Good to see my thread-merging recommendations are still pissing people off two years down the line.
by Robin S
Sun May 24, 2009 1:26 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Death

Crap. This is what I get for not checking this thread as often as I used to. In my defence, I probably wouldn't have been able to make it anyway... but any chance of another meetup soon? It being that time of year when students are finishing exams etc., methinks as much celebration as possible is in...
by Robin S
Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:20 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Death

I'm still planning to be at Picocon. I'm free until early afternoon on Sunday.
by Robin S
Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Death

Moo wrote:Moo & Keo are going to be (as visitors, not exhibitors) at the UK Web & Mini Comix Thing on that Saturday if anyone wants to say hi. It's in Mile End.
Sounds interesting, but it appears to be in March; Picocon's in February, so there shouldn't be a conflict.
by Robin S
Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Death

Picocon details. We can meet at Gloucester Road station, or wherever's convenient. It's not free, so if people would rather do something (or sometime) else that's fine by me.
by Robin S
Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:42 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk
Replies: 1549
Views: 356302

Re: [UK] London - Home of Literature, Time, & the Black Death

Hey guys. I do indeed check this thread from time to time. Hope you all enjoyed the meetup this weekend. It looked amazing - I couldn't make it as Philippa isn't really into that sort of thing, but I'd love to have a meetup over the Picocon weekend. If anyone's interested, it's in two weeks' time. I...
by Robin S
Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:37 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: I'm leaving.
Replies: 14
Views: 1491

I'm leaving.

As I've mentioned before, I've been considering the possibility for a while now, for a number of reasons that I'm perfectly willing to go into with anyone who feels like emailing me. For those of you who don't, many of my reasons are similar to Number3Pencils' (in fact, feel free to merge if you thi...
by Robin S
Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: "Going Dutch"
Replies: 35
Views: 3830

Re: "Going Dutch"

22/7 wrote:Damn, way to necro the hell out of a thread just to tell someone off.
To be fair, the original creator of this thread recently created a duplicate thread (presumably having forgotten about the original), so is clearly still interested in this issue.
by Robin S
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: I hate Wasps
Replies: 104
Views: 14903

Re: I hate Wasps

Yeah, that's been mentioned above a couple of times. My most painful encounter with a stinging organism involved a sea urchin. The little bastard was (I assume) dark-coloured, and hidden in the shadows of some smallish rocks which formed a boundary that you had to cross to reach even moderately deep...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 pm UTC
Forum: Site/Forum issues
Topic: Random
Replies: 8
Views: 2015

Re: Random

Durandal wrote:In psudocode, I assume it looks somewhat like this:

Code: Select all

generate random number between 1 and newest comic number
link to http://xkcd.com/(number here)
If that were the case, surely it would always come up with comic #4?[/quote]
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Write-in poll (for science!) (please help!)
Replies: 6
Views: 689

Re: Write-in poll (for science!) (please help!)

I'd say a combination of the song and the fact that it is "highest-ranking" are responsible for A♠; the Alice in Wonderland reference combined with the nursery rhyme are responsible for Q♥; and the fact that it is the "lowest-ranking" is responsible for A♣. My guess is that you d...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:09 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: An idea in search of somone to make it real
Replies: 8
Views: 1384

Re: An idea in search of somone to make it real

Nerd sniping has to be intentional and malicious. When nerds do an equivalent thing to each other unintentionally and benevolently, it's just conversation.
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)
Replies: 179
Views: 18052

Re: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)

First, I'd appreciate it if you divided the quote into sections and put your replies under each section, so I could see which parts you were replying to. Falsification only applies to what is out there, the statement: “what is objective, absolute truth can only be falsified” – ITSELF CANNOT BE FALIS...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:38 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)
Replies: 179
Views: 18052

Re: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)

Many people on these forums would argue that in order to be objective, absolute truths need to be falsifiable and have scientific evidence cannot be held true by your own standard. Really? You could create a poll and ask them. That counts as falsifiability, and if a sufficiently large number of peo...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Circumcision (split from picture-thread)
Replies: 319
Views: 38752

Re: Why does circumcision continue? also: foreskin restoration

VannA has already raised the issue of citation, so I'll address some other points: you cannot trust studies either Oh. We'd better abandon science then. I haven't seen the details of the study you mention, but I would imagine that the scientists concerned would make it clear in their paper that they...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: An idea in search of somone to make it real
Replies: 8
Views: 1384

Re: An idea in search of somone to make it real

I suspect that, due to the random nature of the initially-dealt single pixels, from a distance the mosaic is always going to end up looking like white noise - unless perhaps the same 3x3 units etc. are used multiple times.
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)
Replies: 179
Views: 18052

Re: What argument styles are acceptable/unacceptable? (Opinion!)

Lets be fair though, truth doesn't need to be proven. Truth just is. Personal beliefs and ethics on the other hand are perspective and subjective. I apologise if this has already been addressed, but why are 'ethics' merely a matter of subjectivity? I don't think there is anything 'subjective' with ...
by Robin S
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:17 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: I hate Wasps
Replies: 104
Views: 14903

Re: I hate Wasps

A few anecdotal stories about wasps and their cousins, bees and ants: When I was in primary school, or possibly soon after starting at secondary school, I went on a trip with my family to Crystal Palace Gardens to see, among other things, the model dinosaurs they have there from the 19th century. An...
by Robin S
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Circumcision (split from picture-thread)
Replies: 319
Views: 38752

Re: Why does circumcision continue? also: foreskin restoration

I'd say it does in this case. The only "benefit" for male circumcision is that some ignorant girls and guys seem to think that uncut penises are "gross!" A superficial argument like that could be and has been used in defense of female circumcision. You seem to be confusing "...
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:26 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Circumcision (split from picture-thread)
Replies: 319
Views: 38752

Re: Why does circumcision continue? also: foreskin restoration

viper7 wrote:nature's design
Just because we are born a particular way, does not automatically make it better than a given alternative.

I would also point out that there's already been at least one long thread discussing this already.
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:24 pm UTC
Forum: Your art and links
Topic: xkcd Animation Project
Replies: 2
Views: 1299

Re: xkcd Animation Project

There have been quite a lot of these already in other threads. Maybe they should be collected somehow, or even merged?
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:27 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Casual Excercise:Excercising without working out
Replies: 22
Views: 2058

Re: Casual Excercise:Excercising without working out

I just walk lots. I don't drive, and it's rare for me to be able to get a lift places, so I probably average a few miles a day during the majority of the year when I'm doing stuff. I know that's not a great deal, but it's better than nothing.
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:56 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Smooth yet non-differentiable functions
Replies: 6
Views: 1261

Re: Smooth yet non-differentiable functions

Yes, though only at isolated points (in this case, at a single point). When you say "infinite slope", you actually mean that the derivative, where it exists, goes to infinity as that point is approached. This definition only really makes sense for isolated points - actually, you might be a...
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Site/Forum issues
Topic: Suggestion: Geohash subforum
Replies: 23
Views: 2779

Re: Suggestion: Geohash subforum

I would definitely support the idea of a separate subforum if it looked like enough people were interested. It's just that, so far, there have only been a handful of threads on the subject. When most of the subforums were created, there tended to be a fair number of threads which already belonged in...
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: A Rose By Any Other Name...
Replies: 49
Views: 4605

Re: A Rose By Any Other Name...

Also, even in the abstract sense it need not refer to black holes. The "singularity" at the centre of a black hole is just one example of a singularity of a function. That's not the only problematic synonym in this thread, either. The world wide web is not the same thing as the Internet, a...
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:06 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Google and Searchsalt
Replies: 7
Views: 1458

Re: Google and Searchsalt

Hang on, you say you get this when you open http://www.google.com? I don't.
by Robin S
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:33 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Possible accidental humor; require confirmation
Replies: 11
Views: 1350

Re: Possible accidental humor; require confirmation

Nope, I'm getting adverts for a game called Cronous.
by Robin S
Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:19 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: you're floating through space
Replies: 31
Views: 5062

Re: you're floating through space

How do you keep track of your orientation?
by Robin S
Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Train Pass Price Gouging?
Replies: 22
Views: 2279

Re: Train Pass Price Gouging?

For most vehicles, yes, but travelling around London by car can be a nightmare, and many people don't have cars. Especially among the student age group.

Go to advanced search