Search found 164 matches

by Tiberius
Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0018: "B.B. Gun"
Replies: 59
Views: 18083

Re: What-If 0017: BB Gun

That's true for Newtonian mechanics, but since the train masses hundreds of tons and the BB masses less than a gram, a pure Newtonian solution would involve the BB traveling several times faster than "c". The question is, what is the appropriate velocity under Special Relativity for match...
by Tiberius
Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes and the Event Horizon
Replies: 5
Views: 2909

Re: Black Holes and the Event Horizon

Also, strictly speaking, Hawking Radiation doesn't come from the black hole itself, but the area immediately around the event horizon.
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

This shit happens in every school district in every state in the country. You're not the first person to try to figure out how to deal with shitheads. When someone assaults a teacher or school employee it is dealt with. What country do you live in and why are you assuming that the public school sys...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Thesh wrote:My parents couldn't. They had these things called jobs.

Well then, that seems like a pretty good incentive to not be a shithead.
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

And what would you do? What exactly can you say to a bully that will make them stop without sinking to their level? "You're off the bus. See you never!" You're assuming she has that power. For many parents the entire reason they have their kids taking the bus instead of walking home is be...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:30 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Thesh wrote:And what would you do? What exactly can you say to a bully that will make them stop without sinking to their level?


"You're off the bus. See you never!"
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Note that as someone who was once a teenager, I didn't give a shit about detention. Suspension meant more time to smoke pot. Saturday school was great for smoking pot. Walking home meant that I could smoke pot on the way home, which meant that even if my parents were home, I could still get high. U...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Plus, these events were apparently on the last day of school. So its not like they could have been punished IIRC. They aren't getting on a bus for a few months anyway... Once again i forgot that schools burn their permanent records at the end of every school year. Detention, suspension, and being k...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:49 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Princess Marzipan wrote:]You don't usually, but you made an apparent exception to create this thread.

Because I never act or say anything unless butt-hurt. That maybe the only thing that spurs you to action but not me.
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

I'm not blaiming her for them being bullies. I'm asserting that she has power over how she responds to her surroundings. You are insisting that she was powerless to do anything but sit there and cry. Just because that's what she did doesn't mean that's the only thing she could do. Also, you can't u...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Princess Marzipan wrote:Quick, someone rig a crosswalk button to donate another $5 to this woman every time it's pressed!

You realize i don't really care right?
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:56 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Don't people have the right to donate money even if you think it's not warranted? What, are you trying to rob people of all agency? Oh ya that's right! I forgot. Disagreeing with something== trying to force everyone else to stop. What are you a republican? Just so you know. You're no longer allowed...
by Tiberius
Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

I'm not blaiming her for them being bullies. I'm asserting that she has power over how she responds to her surroundings. You are insisting that she was powerless to do anything but sit there and cry. Just because that's what she did doesn't mean that's the only thing she could do. Also, you can't us...
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

I'm pretty sure calling the cops is always an option. When I was in school a kid was escorted off the bus by cops because he refused to stop using profanity. That was 4 years ago. I'm not arguing that what happened didn't sucked I'm just saying that making her wealthy isn't warranted. If she had don...
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Let's look at that measly $15k a year. She obviously doesn't work all year. Most schools are in 180 days. Lets assume 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon. That averages out to $20 an hour. That's pretty good in my opinion. Especially when she's not doing her job. I'm sure the actual chi...
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

You realize that giving money to someone who is now probably richer than you isn't a stand-in for substantive argument right?
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

So if a cop was being bullied by criminals into letting them do whatever they want would they still be getting pats on the back and everyones sympathy? Or is the fact that she's an old woman mean she's allowed to fail to do her job in protecting children? Doesn't that rob her of any and all agency? ...
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:45 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

Gifts that people you don't care about give to other people that you don't care about aren't really any of your business. Isn't the internet just full of people talking about shit that has nothing to do with them? Also I'm pretty sure the money could have been put to a little better use than making...
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Re: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her j

You do realize that there is a line between sympathizing with someone for a kind of suck-y experience and plopping 5 times the median net worth of an american family in their lap?

@aeki
No her job is to keep kids in line so the Bus Driver can drive.
by Tiberius
Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.
Replies: 109
Views: 17142

Bullied bus monitor given $500000 for being bad at her job.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/22/12357236-donations-for-bullied-bus-monitor-soar-past-500000?lite Apparently all suffering has been solved in the world because this women is being given a "small" fortune by the internet because she is spineless enough to allow a couple of twelv...
by Tiberius
Mon May 07, 2012 6:37 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Windows 7, XBox, may be banned in Germany
Replies: 60
Views: 10934

Re: Windows 7, XBox, may be banned in Germany

Somewhat offtopic, but: How can a US court forbid a company from enforcing a German court ruling? That doesn't make sense. Sounds rather like a "We rule the world" kind of attitude to me. Though, admittedly, considering that the US always gets away with stuff like that, they do actually r...
by Tiberius
Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Misbehaving pupils ending up in court
Replies: 75
Views: 12707

Re: Misbehaving pupils ending up in court

Oh my gosh! A thread about Lucrece projecting his own personal issues onto something else! You seem really preoccupied with the rights of people you identify with and no one else's. Elections are not the only things that check back rights abuses. That's why we have the supreme court. If the presiden...
by Tiberius
Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Misbehaving pupils ending up in court
Replies: 75
Views: 12707

Re: Misbehaving pupils ending up in court

Chen wrote:Maybe if teachers were given the authority to punish students without the parents flipping their shit and/or threatening to sue them, this wouldn't be necessary.


Yes if only we could beat these children for minor dress code violations.

CUUUUURSEEE YOUUUU OBAAAAMMAAAA!!!!!!!
by Tiberius
Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Obsession over grades is killing American Education
Replies: 188
Views: 25055

Re: Obsession over grades is killing American Education

Did anyone bother to take the time and question whether our education system is really in trouble or underperforming? Virtually every piece of data that I have seen that supports the notion that we are falling behind is based on really sketchy samples and just all around bad statistics. Systems like...
by Tiberius
Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Tea Party, Hypocritical Parasites?
Replies: 238
Views: 34624

Re: Tea Party, Hypocritical Parasites?

B. If that program helps those kids become successful and then they turn around and claim others need to work hard to be as successful as them while denying they were ever helped by a program is hypocritical. It's not clear to me that there's an actual contradiction here. Did the GI bill give every...
by Tiberius
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Tea Party, Hypocritical Parasites?
Replies: 238
Views: 34624

Re: Tea Party, Hypocritical Parasites? Yes.

Similarly, when the government is handing out free money to people, you'd be an idiot to not take the money. Especially when it is a completely legal move. Sure, you can be against it, but you've got a life to live and responsibilities to uphold. Hypocrisy or not, it doesn't invalidate the argument...
by Tiberius
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Because I cut off the second part? Well I agree with the second part, so why would I include that part in my argument? Your argument was, summarized, that sunbathers should take precedence over frisbee players because you can fit more of them per acre, so the city would rake in more tax dollars. Th...
by Tiberius
Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

You still haven't proven how selective enforcement uniquely leads to abuse. Cops can decide who they want to ticket for speeding based on the severity of the offense. That is a good thing. It has nothing to do with people i do or don't like. Their is this thing called spirit of the law and it deter...
by Tiberius
Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

This whole selective enforcement thing has been around for quite a while and the only problems have been discrimination which is illegal anyway so it really doesn't matter. Well shucks, let's just make everything illegal and let the cops enforce whatever they want. Oh wait, that's a fucking terribl...
by Tiberius
Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

So the cops are only going to stop people from being assholes? How will that work exactly? They now have the power to fine anyone throwing things on the beach, no matter what the circumstances. How do you kow they won't enforce it if the beach is deserted? How do you know some cop isn't going to fi...
by Tiberius
Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Well, banning all frisbee's on any public property would also be for the good of non-frisbee throwers, but I think you'd agree that would be ridiculous. All regulations are for the good of some people at the expense of other people. Like a national curfew would be for the good of the people who don...
by Tiberius
Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Well, banning all frisbee's on any public property would also be for the good of non-frisbee throwers, but I think you'd agree that would be ridiculous. All regulations are for the good of some people at the expense of other people. Like a national curfew would be for the good of the people who don...
by Tiberius
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches
Replies: 73
Views: 8454

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

stevey_frac wrote:And the Nanny state takes another step forward.


Ya how dare they regulate what you can do on public property. Next they will be telling me that I can't bring my smg to the white house.

If you couldn't cut through the sarcasm. I was calling you an idiot.
by Tiberius
Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Unemployment Down once again.
Replies: 54
Views: 8122

Re: Unemployment Down once again.

Keynes never argued that the economy doesn't go through cycles. In fact that was the basis for his entire work. He merely argues that spending in the low periods can help make the low shorter and less low.
by Tiberius
Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: One towns war against gays. (trigger warning)
Replies: 87
Views: 14269

Re: One towns war against gays. (trigger warning)

sourmìlk wrote:Oy. Are you alright?


It happens all the time. nbd.
by Tiberius
Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: One towns war against gays. (trigger warning)
Replies: 87
Views: 14269

Re: One towns war against gays. (trigger warning)

I normally think that trigger warnings are bullshit and hypersensitive but i actually had a panic attack while reading that report.
by Tiberius
Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Unemployment Down once again.
Replies: 54
Views: 8122

Unemployment Down once again.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 0355.story

That's gotta sting for the Republicans. They better fire a shit ton of teachers to even it out.
by Tiberius
Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting
Replies: 125
Views: 19260

Re: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting

@Kulantan If someone thinks that a noodle is a deadly weapon then they aren't fit to stand trial. Look to my definition of assault that's the actual US definition. It varies slightly from state to state but that is pretty representative of most states except NY which does weird shit with Menace. The...
by Tiberius
Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:18 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting
Replies: 125
Views: 19260

Re: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting

"The law allowed"? You do realise that the law isn't some kind of giant robot that oversees courts and fires its legal laser when it is displeased? Currently the police could arrest me and (baselessly) charge me murder. The... , but not fists which have caused multiple recorded cases of d...
by Tiberius
Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:08 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting
Replies: 125
Views: 19260

Re: HIV-positive man receives 35-year sentence for spitting

Attempted murder carries a harsher sentence than assault w/ a deadly weapon anyway. The only difference is an intent to kill. Prosecutors go for assault all the time when they aren't sure they can prove intent. All the time. The defendant demonstrated understanding that his actions could injure the ...

Go to advanced search