Search found 60 matches

by Ace_NoOne
Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0327: "Exploits of a Mom"
Replies: 210
Views: 107528

Re: "Exploits of a Mom"

woktiny wrote:
Ace_NoOne wrote:I still don't... :oops:
Under the common first-initial-last-name username convention
Duh! I didn't make that leap.
Thanks, and my sincerest apologies for being such a dud...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0327: "Exploits of a Mom"
Replies: 210
Views: 107528

Re: "Exploits of a Mom"

Soap wrote:
Hello, My name is Ryan Oot. I need to know my password.
lol. I didnt get that at first.

I still don't... :oops:
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0327: "Exploits of a Mom"
Replies: 210
Views: 107528

Re: "Exploits of a Mom"

dawidi wrote:...excuse me while I go publish a paper titled "SQL Magazine'; Drop Table BASObj;--" just to break your import code

Actually, this would even be feasible - go for it! :twisted:
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0327: "Exploits of a Mom"
Replies: 210
Views: 107528

Re: "Exploits of a Mom"

Brilliant comic, once again! So brilliant, in fact, that Twitter is going crazy over it (I'm tracking "xkcd"). and also didn't allow him to name her Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. I'd personally think it would be funnier to name the child Abcdefghijklnmopqrstuvwxyz. Then you could tell everyb...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

Oh, so it was intended - good thinking then!
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:11 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated!

btw: The exclude.txt in the ZIP file isn't empty; I assume that's an unintended omission?
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

Thanks for the info, davean.
Uh, oh, right, there are machine parsable data files for each comic also.
Separate (XML?) files? Where?

Has anyone tried ubergeek42's patch? Being a C# newbie, I can't really figure this out.
by Ace_NoOne
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

davean wrote:There *was* no atom feed before, silly.
Hehe - sorry, it was the RSS feed then. (I just saw those old items pop up in Bloglines, and went to the site to see whether it was RSS or ATOM... )
I'll switch to ATOM then.

Anyway, davean, could you elaborate on what's been changed?
by Ace_NoOne
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:18 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

I'm afraid I don't have Visual Studio installed at the moment.
However, I might take a look at the site's HTML code to figure out what's been changed - but that could take a few days, as I'm pretty busy myself these days... :(
by Ace_NoOne
Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:21 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

Andrew, your xkcd Wallpaper Randomiser has become non-functional. I assume it has something to do with changes on the site*. Can anyone confirm this? * Three symptoms that led me to believe there has been some work done: 1. The buttons for navigating the comics look different. 2. The ATOM feed sudde...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0291: "Dignified"
Replies: 120
Views: 31679

Brilliant - and the alt text is gold!
Best comic in a while...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0276: "Fixed Width"
Replies: 139
Views: 42552

I prefer to consider it a state, rather than a condition. One is xkcd, rather than one has xkcd. NOTE: I am insane because I have some form of insanity. Good point. However, there's some ambiguity in saying "I'm xkcd" - after all, it's RM who is xkcd!? So personally, I'd try to avoid that...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0276: "Fixed Width"
Replies: 139
Views: 42552

This is BRILLIANT!
And all this time I thought I was the only one out there who even noticed when chat lines are syncing up...
by Ace_NoOne
Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:26 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: [AutoHotkey] xkcd Extractor: all comics on one page
Replies: 13
Views: 5799

I guess legato meant that instead of having all comics on one page at the same time (which is the current output of my script), only one comic should be shown at a time, and the other ones loaded on demand.
by Ace_NoOne
Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:36 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: [AutoHotkey] xkcd Extractor: all comics on one page
Replies: 13
Views: 5799

I find mass comic reading works best with: ~5 comics per page. 1x1 pixel images of the next and previous 5 comics hidden somewhere unobtrusive. next and previous buttons. The pre/post loaded images means that I don't have to use firefox to tab-open the next comic while I'm reading this one. I bet t...
by Ace_NoOne
Sun May 27, 2007 6:56 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: [AutoHotkey] xkcd Extractor: all comics on one page
Replies: 13
Views: 5799

xkcd Browser? xkcd Spider? xkcd Bandwidth Hawg? xkcd Server Stress Test? Hehe... Just for the record: I did include a hotlinking warning in the AHK thread. I also don't expect this to be a heavily-used script, neither in terms of frequency nor with regards to the number of users. [ot] Hmm.... that'...
by Ace_NoOne
Sun May 27, 2007 10:37 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: [AutoHotkey] xkcd Extractor: all comics on one page
Replies: 13
Views: 5799

[AutoHotkey] xkcd Extractor: all comics on one page

In case anyone's interested: I've written a script in AutoHotkey (Windows-only scripting language) to create a single HTML page containing all comics (with title, image, alt-text and link). The code can be found over at the AHK forums ; the result looks somewhat like this: <html> <head> <style type=...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0266: "Choices: Part 3"
Replies: 58
Views: 14314

LE4dGOLEM wrote:So uh. This is the second comic in as many days. Randall must really want us to see this.
Actually, it's the third comic in as many days.
The RSS feed said something about updates every day this week.
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 23, 2007 6:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0266: "Choices: Part 3"
Replies: 58
Views: 14314

My first thought when I saw panel #7: "Wow - xkcd now has special effects!?"
Does that make me shallow? :?
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 16, 2007 5:41 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: XKCD @ MIT photos
Replies: 22
Views: 6399

I so wish I could watch the full lecture on video... :?
by Ace_NoOne
Mon May 14, 2007 9:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0261: "Regarding Mussolini"
Replies: 100
Views: 31980

Lol, quote a thought provoking comic OK, I will: "pi = 3.141592653589793helpimtrappedinauniversefactory7108914..." Haha, I was kinda thinking the same when I saw that typo... :lol: Oh, and on a mostly unrelated note... I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect. I don't get it. :( (An...
by Ace_NoOne
Mon May 14, 2007 6:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0261: "Regarding Mussolini"
Replies: 100
Views: 31980

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:By showing that comic here, haven't we already Godwined the thread?
Millions of Jews didn't die so you could throw this thread in the gas chamber on a whim. What are you, Hitler?

You, sir, just made my day!
by Ace_NoOne
Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0053: "Hobby"
Replies: 7
Views: 5379

Well, yeah, of course the comic wasn't directly about that kinda stuff - but that comment still reminded me of the comic, which prompted me to head over to The Fora here...

Anyways, that Matt story is very disturbing.
More background info on this here.
by Ace_NoOne
Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0053: "Hobby"
Replies: 7
Views: 5379

0053: "Hobby"

#53: Hobby http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/hobby.jpg The only one of these games I really played was Area 51 I noticed there wasn't a thread on this comic yet. It's definitely in the Top 50 (for me anyways) and thus deserves its own thread. The reason I'm posting this now? I came across this comment on...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 02, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0256: "Online Communities"
Replies: 318
Views: 113901

btw: I sure hope there'll be a posting about this comic on the Blag (as there was with The Map of the Internet)...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 02, 2007 6:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0256: "Online Communities"
Replies: 318
Views: 113901

FiddleMath wrote:Poster, nth'd. And I never usually give the internet my money...
Seconded.

wes wrote:I will buy at least one poster version of this.
Haha, I was just thinking that if (when?) I get a poster, I will buy two for fear of the first one being damaged at some point in time... (It's OCD-related, I guess!?)
by Ace_NoOne
Wed May 02, 2007 6:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0256: "Online Communities"
Replies: 318
Views: 113901

This is awesome!
Now whenever someone asks me why I'm such a big fan of xkcd, and why it's so brilliant - I just point 'em to this.

/me goes looking for more hidden jokes

I wish there was a hi-res version of this image...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:59 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

I'd definitely agree with that - humanity takes itself way too seriously anyway... (An issue that I think is touched on in the book as well.)
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:48 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

My opinion is language sucks badly, far too imperfect. I think hardly anyone will disagree with that - the question is though whether there can be anything more efficient, as the need for prior processing (encoding, transmitting, decoding, storing) is quite a bottleneck. And I don't think we'll be ...
by Ace_NoOne
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

Could you say which book that is? Because I don't dare to read your spoiler without having read that book first... I would if I remembered the specific name. It's in one of Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, or Children of the Mind. I'll just read 'em all, and then come back to revive this long-dead th...
by Ace_NoOne
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

Woo! Quoted! What's with the excitement - I didn't know there was an xkcd Fora Citation Index... ;) Am I missing anything here? Unfortunately, yes. Why unfortunately? It's actually quite fortunate that I am/was the ignorant and Mr. Card remains a genius. This is fairly explicitly covered in a later...
by Ace_NoOne
Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0241: "Battle Room"
Replies: 199
Views: 67392

I've just finished the book, and felt the overwhelming urge to thank everyone here for bullying me into reading it - which hereby I do. Now let's hope the other books from the series ( pl. ) are similarly brilliant... (Amazon.de makes me wait 2-3 weeks for Speaker for the Dead - $#@%!) PS: Yeah, the...
by Ace_NoOne
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:32 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

Uh-oh.
I should finish reading the book before reading any more replies in this thread...

However, isn't my premise the same as the humans'?
(For the record: Ender is just being transferred to Command School; p. 253 in my version of the book.)

Thanks for now.
by Ace_NoOne
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:26 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: language: importance and necessity
Replies: 30
Views: 7072

language: importance and necessity

After having been bullied into reading Ender's Game (bullying has never been more welcome), I've come across one paragraph in the book that made me think. For those who haven't read the book yet*, I guess it's not much of a spoiler to reveal that the "buggers" (what a brilliant term for ho...
by Ace_NoOne
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0242: "The Difference"
Replies: 70
Views: 24158

Wait - so according to this comic, Homer Simpson is a scientist!?
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0241: "Battle Room"
Replies: 199
Views: 67392

Now that I've bought the first book, I'll definitely have to read all of the 2×5+1* books - even if they suck horribly (it's sort of an OCD issue)**... * according to Wikipedia ** ... which is also the reason I'm still watching BSG - though that was worth it eventually, as the season 3 finale was o...
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0241: "Battle Room"
Replies: 199
Views: 67392

I agree - elitism definitely is a big part of xkcd's appeal.
(Which is why I've bought the book now - gotta get geekier to be part of the in-crowd.)
by Ace_NoOne
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0241: "Battle Room"
Replies: 199
Views: 67392

Alright alright, I'm on Amazon right now, ordering the book (it's just five bucks).
After having finished it, I'm sure I'll revisit this comic to at last succumb to its funniness...
by Ace_NoOne
Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:11 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

livejamie: How exactly do you want to use this on the web - just retrieve a random image from the website? That should be rather easy: I've taken a good look at Andrew's code, and it was quite helpful. However, while C# seems to be an interesting language, I have little experience with it. Thus I've...
by Ace_NoOne
Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:29 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: XKCD comics as desktop wallpaper [Moved from General]
Replies: 44
Views: 20569

Yep, that's the one. Thought about posting it here but decided not to. Well, I did - for posterity... :) Updated to-do list (mostly as a reminder for myself): ⋅ automatically set display mode (center by default, stretch if image is larger than the screen resolution) ⋅ use cached...

Go to advanced search