Search found 1340 matches

by OverBored
Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Paris Mafia - Game over, town win
Replies: 125
Views: 16050

Re: Paris Mafia - D1: Bonjour!

I had initially thought that lynch mime then mafia kill random townie, was the same as mafia kill mime then town lynch. Of course I kind of missed the fact that mafia could be the ones lynched. This needs to be offset against the fact that if the mafia NK the mime (who is acting exactly as a confir...
by OverBored
Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Paris Mafia - Game over, town win
Replies: 125
Views: 16050

Re: Paris Mafia - D1: Bonjour!

Firstly, huge apology for the delay. This weekend has been far more busy than I expected. I will post once this evening (this) and things should be better from then on. Oh and I don't understand OverBored's fourth point at all. Why would scum want to kill a mime rather than town? The idea that town ...
by OverBored
Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Paris Mafia - Game over, town win
Replies: 125
Views: 16050

Re: Paris Mafia - D1: Bonjour!

1. I am confident that any serious Mime claim is legitimate. Neither town nor scum will false-claim mime, as it serves no purpose but to get them lynched (possibly) 2. I dislike a mime claim strategy. It just feels wrong to say to 2 people: "okay, you guys get to win, now leave the game so that...
by OverBored
Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Paris Mafia - Game over, town win
Replies: 125
Views: 16050

Re: Paris Mafia - Pregame

Just to make concrete the objection Wam is having It is currently June, and so May 26th was roughly 4 weeks ago (and not a Tuesday) Will the game end if the Mime's win condition is met? If not, which outcome do the town prefer: Mimes win, then town wins or Scum wins I'll be back soon, after I have h...
by OverBored
Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Paris Mafia - Game over, town win
Replies: 125
Views: 16050

Re: Paris Mafia - Pregame

Confirm
by OverBored
Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Actual (Association) Football Talk.
Replies: 1114
Views: 203686

Re: Actual (Association) Football Talk.

Are you sure about that? If England had lost 2-1, it would have gone down to goals scored (all goal differences would be 0, England and France would be on 4 points each).
England scored 5
France scored 3
by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

You are fine:

Misnomer wrote:
1. I will usually give a deadline for the day, indicating when I am likely to call night. Until I actually call night, however, you are free to keep posting.

by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:37 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)
Replies: 7487
Views: 802167

Re: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)

Paris Mafia Mods: lynx, flarpfreak Setup: Open Flavour: None Size: Medium (12 players) Bastardry: Minimal Timeline hasn't been finalised yet but will most likely be 72-hour days and 24-hour nights. Deadlines will not be on the weekends if possible, and extensions may be allowed in some cases. Playe...
by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:51 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

Ok, this looks over for me then. I want to make it absolutely clear that I had no extra information. Any speculation I made was purely based on posts in-game, and are most likely plagued with incorrectness. Good luck and all that.
by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:38 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

It makes no sense because there wasn't any real justification for voting for either me or Adam. A connection between me and Adam was perceived, but then no real reason to believe that either of us is scum. Don't get me wrong, I would rather the vote be on Adam than me, but the only argument I see fo...
by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

If the day ends without a majority of votes on one player, is the player with most votes lynched, or no-one?
by OverBored
Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

I could really do with going to sleep soon, so this won't be the most complete of posts... Upon going through the thread very slowly and carefully, I have a few more concrete opinions than I have had so far. We have a number of lurkers. I know I haven't been contributing that much, but there a few p...
by OverBored
Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

Oops. Okay, you placed the second vote (I misread Misnomer's vote tally a few posts above as ahammel voting for Adam, rather than vice versa). That kind of invalidates my main reason then. :oops:
by OverBored
Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:54 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

@OverBored and wam: Really? You're think it's scummy to suggest a policy lynch to take away a scum second kill? If ever there's a scenario that calls for a policy lynch, that's it. For the record: I would have accepted "your reasoning is faulty", or "it's unlikely that scum have a re...
by OverBored
Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:30 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

So, I have never played with a PGO, but it seems that the wiki agrees with the rationale behind insta-claiming, and I can see the logic. All in all it seems to me very unlikely that KrO2 is a good choice of lynch target today. Policy lynching (and for that matter, policy no-lynching) seems like a re...
by OverBored
Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Misnomer's Game - GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY
Replies: 235
Views: 30590

Re: Misnomer's Game - Day 1: Who Murdered the Mayor?

Just a quick confirm for now, as I have just returned from travelling. Initial thoughts: Whilst the fact that the mafia did not kill the mayor is intriguing, it doesn't really change much. There are some (potentially one) non-town aligned factions, and the actual specific details of those factions i...
by OverBored
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:15 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)
Replies: 7487
Views: 802167

Re: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)

Misnomer's Game The Mayor of Xkcdia is dead. Clearly, this is a simple case of the Mafia once again terrorising the poor townsfolk. But if it's all so simple... why does it feel like there's more to it? Setup: Closed Flavour: Standard... at least on the surface... Type: Normal Bastardry: Non-Bastar...
by OverBored
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:22 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: group theory
Replies: 64
Views: 24840

Re: group theory

It is true. Unfortunately I can't come up with a good elementary proof at the moment. But I have a bit of a hammer proof: By Cauchy's theorem, there exists an element order p. Moreover, this element generates a subgroup H, which is normal since it is order 2. Also by Cauchy, we have an element o...
by OverBored
Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability of consecutive same faces in coin flip
Replies: 7
Views: 2711

Re: Probability of consecutive same faces in coin flip

But, consider n = 3, b = a = 2
Clearly impossible since 2 strings of length 2 require at least 4 bits in order to happen, but your formula gives 1/96,

In fact, for fixed a,b, your formula gives a decreasing probability as n increases, which is absurd.
by OverBored
Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability of consecutive same faces in coin flip
Replies: 7
Views: 2711

Re: Probability of consecutive same faces in coin flip

Would 2a in a row count twice? Or do you demand that sequences are separated by an opposite result?

Are we just counting sequences of one type, or both simultaneously? e.g a = 2: HHTT, is that a count of 2 or 1?
by OverBored
Mon May 28, 2012 5:56 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Writing a paper about Cellular Automata
Replies: 44
Views: 8136

Re: Writing a paper about Cellular Automata

OverBored: your question is based on what you define being zero or one in your rule 30 pattern. black and white has two different solutions, you need to specify which one it is. a sequence of 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1's had previously a sequence of ...0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,1.... (because 1 would have generated inf...
by OverBored
Mon May 28, 2012 1:39 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Writing a paper about Cellular Automata
Replies: 44
Views: 8136

Re: Writing a paper about Cellular Automata

Okay, how about this. I generated a random sequence of digits, and it turned out the at the next step my string looks like this: .....0000000000000000..... Or if you prefer, ....Black Black Black Black....... What did I have previously? Note that this is precisely the question you claim to be answer...
by OverBored
Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Is it better do do something on odd numbered days or even?
Replies: 3
Views: 1397

Re: Is it better do do something on odd numbered days or eve

Slight caveat on the more days front. If the deal starts on an even day, and you anticipate it lasting less time than it is until the end of the next month with an odd amount of days, you should go for even. Apart from that I agree completely with the above.
by OverBored
Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Basic math problem I think I'm getting wrong...
Replies: 12
Views: 2780

Re: Basic math problem I think I'm getting wrong...

I agree with Jaap for the first one, but I get a different answer from you for the second (I'm not sure I believe my answer though). I get 28.79827...

Edit: Incidentally, I am using the formula given here
by OverBored
Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Favorite math jokes
Replies: 1452
Views: 482845

Re: Favorite math jokes

TheChewanater wrote:
Monika wrote:I think they outlawed puns involving numbers last year.

That's two bad, I have some funny ones.


Feel three to try them out, just don't four-get that not everyone appreci-eights that type of humour.
by OverBored
Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Differential equations question
Replies: 4
Views: 1470

Re: Differential equations question

It is acceptable because we can try any function we like, and see if it satisfies our differential equation. It isn't strictly necessary, in that there are other ways to solve the differential equation. The reason we do this is because it works. It is fairly easy to show that if the roots of the qua...
by OverBored
Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Obligatory program in maths
Replies: 4
Views: 1545

Re: Obligatory program in maths

Here in the UK we had: 1st Year: Vectors and Matrices (mainly a simple look at linear algebra) Numbers and Sets (a little set theory, but mainly about proof methods and some modular arithmetic) Groups Differential Equations Analysis I Probability Dynamics and Relativity Vector Calculus We break our ...
by OverBored
Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Repeating decimals are x/99...9
Replies: 1
Views: 993

Re: Repeating decimals are x/99...9

Suppose x = [imath]0.{d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}...[/imath]

Then :

[imath]x*(10^n) - x ={d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}.{d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}... - {d_1}{d_2}...{d_n} = {d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}[/imath]

so [imath]x = \frac{{d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}}{{10^n} - 1} = \frac{{d_1}{d_2}...{d_n}}{99.....99}[/imath]
by OverBored
Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Distance between two points on/in an ellipse
Replies: 6
Views: 3641

Re: Distance between two points on/in an ellipse

f''(t)=(-a^2cos(t),-b^2sin(t)) This is not the equation of the normal. You can see this by observing that the dot product of the two lines is non-zero. Once you have the actual normal, you have (y-y_0) = m(x-x_0) . You know the y_0 and x_0 fro...
by OverBored
Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Exponent Combination Laws
Replies: 31
Views: 4249

Re: Exponent Combination Laws

Okay, I will write it out explicitly, but I am not sure how useful it is really. e^x e^y =(\sum_0^\infty {\frac{x^n}{n!}})(\sum_0^\infty {\frac{y^n}{n!}}) = (1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots)(1 + y + \frac{y^2}{2!} + \frac{y^3}{3!} + \cdots) We find th...
by OverBored
Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Exponent Combination Laws
Replies: 31
Views: 4249

Re: Exponent Combination Laws

Ok, so in my experience, we normally derive e, and the exponential function by considering power series. In particular we define them and then a radius of convergence, and then we note that this particular power series happens to be everywhere convergent. It is a standard theorem in analysis the pow...
by OverBored
Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:28 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Help with sums
Replies: 4
Views: 1387

Re: Help with sums

Plugging those points into the general equation (you'll need j+1 points*) gives us a system of equations we can solve to find a, b, c, and d. Once you have the polynomial, you can factor it to look nicer. Just to expand briefly on this. Trying to find a polynomial from a series of points it goes th...
by OverBored
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:30 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Elementary Real Analysis Proof Validity
Replies: 8
Views: 1813

Re: Elementary Real Analysis Proof Validity

Have you been given that f is differentiable? If not then the proof is a little problematic. Either way, I think an argument by contradiction is a better route for your proof to take.
by OverBored
Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:47 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Cambridge "senior wranglers" -good stories? career paths?
Replies: 4
Views: 4814

Re: Cambridge "senior wranglers" -good stories? career paths

Ok, I'll have a quick go at answering a couple of your questions. My brother graduated there in 2007 and says there was fierce competition for who would be the SW. No-one in the top 5 who had a chance of being no.1 discussed his working methods with anyone else, in or out of the top 5. I wasn't arou...
by OverBored
Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:47 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Prisoners, hats, twists, etc.
Replies: 21
Views: 4402

Re: Prisoners, hats, twists, etc.

Of course you are both right. How about this then: We are going to need to divide the time up significantly more for this to work. We stick with the same strategy, except that when you decide to call you pick a very specific time, which transfers all of the information you have to everyone in the li...
by OverBored
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Prisoners, hats, twists, etc.
Replies: 21
Views: 4402

Re: Prisoners, hats, twists, etc.

Is the blind person aware of the time? Yes: Each minute is a person's turn to either guess or stay quiet. We start at the back; if the current person cannot see the partner for the one at the front he shouts Karbuki, else he waits out his minute (the blind person doesn't know his turn, s...
by OverBored
Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:23 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: expression for the product of n rotation matrices
Replies: 16
Views: 2016

Re: expression for the product of n rotation matrices

Conjugating by phi means left-multiplying by phi inverse, and right multiplying by phi (or vice versa in some literature). Because the identity commutes, we would have our new word equal to the identity, but as the paragraph states, it would end in phi, which they go on to use for the next part of t...
by OverBored
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Different Infinities
Replies: 7
Views: 1242

Re: Different Infinities

First Pair
skeptical scientist wrote:the infinities of integers vs. even integers are exactly the same

Second Pair
skeptical scientist wrote:the infinities of (-∞,∞) and [0,∞) are likewise exactly the same


That is, the cardinality of the integers is smaller than the cardinality of [0,∞)
by OverBored
Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:42 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Chess statistics
Replies: 13
Views: 3026

Re: Chess statistics

Also, I'm going to defend 1.g4 a little here. It may seem to have very few merits, but if your opponent takes the bait, the games becomes very sharp, with the pace of whites attack being key. If black rejects the pawn, white protects it and castle queenside for a decent tempo gain for the kingside p...
by OverBored
Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:16 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: How can I get good at writing proofs?
Replies: 2
Views: 842

Re: How can I get good at writing proofs?

It is my opinion that the most stimulating proofs are those which answer questions you came up with yourself. The reason for this is twofold: Firstly, the questions you ask are likely to be natural questions, rather than being questions designed to test specific skills or understanding> Secondly, yo...

Go to advanced search