Search found 38 matches

by JetstreamGW
Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1989: "IMHO"
Replies: 111
Views: 25198

Re: 1989: "IMHO"

"Gif" is pronounced that way by truncation of the word "gift" Zhyffe. Because Mike Rugnetta just wants to watch the world burn :P I've also heard of people pronounce JPEG as, "jay-peg," like Joint Potographic Experts Group. Are you saying there are people who don't pro...
by JetstreamGW
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1924: "Solar Panels"
Replies: 60
Views: 11229

Re: 1924: "Solar Panels"

Is there an empty space nearby where it would be easier to put them ... Ah... About thaaaat... They've totally got several municipal contracts right now and are actively working on it. I know the media isn't really talking about it anymore, but the company doing Solar Roadways hasn't really gone an...
by JetstreamGW
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1595: "30 Days Hath September"
Replies: 132
Views: 29428

Re: 1595: "30 Days Hath September"

Man, all these fresh mnemonics. Seems more trouble than it's worth...

Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November.

Did you mention the month you need? If yes, then 30 days. If no then 31 days unless February :P
by JetstreamGW
Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:07 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1568: "Synonym Movies 2"
Replies: 50
Views: 22699

1568: "Synonym Movies 2"

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/synonym_movies_2.png Title Text: There's also the TV show based on the hit Hot and Cold Music books: Fun With Chairs, Royal Rumble, Knife Blizzard, Breakfast for Birds, and Samba Serpents. Hey! Those Tropical Boaters films aren't synonym titles at all! I mean, seriously....
by JetstreamGW
Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1567: "Kitchen Tips"
Replies: 175
Views: 29319

Re: 1567: "Kitchen Tips"

? And Emergency? accident? just a guess Accident and Emergency is the British equivalent of the Emergency Room. To us, ER refers to the Queen. Little Known Fact: here in the US and A, there are no "Emergency Rooms." THey are ED, for Emergency Department. Popular lore and TV show titles no...
by JetstreamGW
Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1529: "Bracket"
Replies: 191
Views: 52210

Re: 1529: "Bracket"

djagir wrote:
player_03 wrote:
addams wrote:No Who?
Why?


The Doctor is between Dr. No and Cory Doctorow. And he's up against some serious competition in the second round...


Yes, but is that BBC "The Doctor" or Voyager "The Doctor"?


It is almost certainly not Voyager.
by JetstreamGW
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1490: "Atoms"
Replies: 92
Views: 20107

Re: 1490: "Atoms"

Was beret mom one of these people then? I was thinking a pacemaker. There are still a few people living who have pacemakers implanted in the 1970s which are powered by an RTG using plutonium-238. Naw. I think Envelope Generator has the right of it. The insinuation in that case would be that beret g...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 185048

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And what about getting fired from your job** for things you say and do in your private life? Funny how that one is not mentioned. (**reading people's minds in advance: Fine. Being forced to resign under pressure...as though that is different.) Fact of the matter is that a CEO is supposed to be the ...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:39 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-if 0092: "One-Second Day"
Replies: 41
Views: 13867

Re: What-if 0092: "One-Second Day"

I had the misfortune of clicking on the "Citation Needed" bit.

What bugnuts insanity is this?
by JetstreamGW
Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1288: "Substitutions"
Replies: 147
Views: 43668

Re: 1288: "Substitutions"

Someone script up a "Gizoogle Transnizzle"-esque website for this, stat!
by JetstreamGW
Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1283: "Headlines"
Replies: 58
Views: 19098

Re: 1283: "Headlines"

Also, the brutal killing of an unarmed unresisting Viet Cong prisoner by the head of the South Vietnam national police force, in front of television cameras. It did a lot to make the American public think maybe we weren't on the side of the Good Guys in the war. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....
by JetstreamGW
Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1250: "Old Accounts"
Replies: 54
Views: 51186

Re: 1250: "Old Accounts"

GOOMHR.... when I checked my mail this morning and found various social network newsletters I thought "I should definitely clean up my memberships and leave the networks I'm not using anymore..." And "database linkage accumulation slowdown"...? He *made* that up, right? The test...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1249: "Meteor Showers"
Replies: 49
Views: 53568

Re: 1249: "Meteor Showers"

Eternal Density wrote:I didn't know meteor showers have names (assuming that's true) but I deduce that exactly none of the notes are the slightest bit serious. As for the names themselves, I have no idea.
rhomboidal wrote:In astronomy, you spend half the time waiting for things, and the other half coming up with names for them.
Wait for it. :D


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_sho ... or_showers

They do indeed.

That said, Randall has fabricated some of the names.
by JetstreamGW
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Texas Fertilizer Plant Fire/Explosion
Replies: 61
Views: 8625

Re: Texas Fertilizer Plant Fire/Explosion

Is there any indication as to whether or not this was accidental/intentional? Being so close to the Boston bombing there's sure to be speculation... It's a fertilizer plant in a tiny, tiny town. It caught fire and the ammonium nitrate exploded. Ammonium nitrate will do that. It's tragic, but not su...
by JetstreamGW
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:03 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Why is adultery legal?
Replies: 52
Views: 24959

Re: Why is adultery legal?

The legality of adultery has always struck me as odd. Wikipedia says the argument against making adultery illegal is to keep government out of personal matters and personal morality. I understand, then, if people have a problem with making, say, pre-marital sex illegal. But in the case of adultery,...
by JetstreamGW
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1145: "Sky Color"
Replies: 211
Views: 71150

Re: 1145: "Sky Color"

Yet another unnecessarily complex and long answer to "why is the sky blue", *sigh*... The answer is simply: Blue is the color of oxygen. (Yes, gaseous oxygen is very, very slightly blue, to a point it is sometimes incorrectly described as colorless.) Similarly, when a kid asks "why a...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1134: "Logic Boat"
Replies: 135
Views: 32016

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

You have a Ninja, a Pirate, and a Dinosaur... The Dinosaur can't see the Ninja, because it has some frog DNA and can't see things that don't move. The Ninja is good at not moving. The Dinosaur however, will eat the Pirate. The Ninja and the Pirate will kill each other. The Ninja will ki...
by JetstreamGW
Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1130: "Poll Watching"
Replies: 87
Views: 17681

Re: 1130: "Poll Watching"

If your claim was merely that "one of the dice will be higher than 2", then no, you wouldn't be wrong. However if your claim selected one of the two dice in particular as the one that would be higher, and it turns out the other one was higher instead, you'd be quite plainly incorrect. 83%...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1122: "Electoral Precedent"
Replies: 167
Views: 46437

Re: 1122: "Electoral Precedent"

I don't think "No challenger has beaten a incumbent", and "No incumbent has beaten a challenger" are contradictory, because they are both true at the relevant time. The fact that some of them are redundant is part of the point of the comic, I think. Also it's possible that "...
by JetstreamGW
Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1118: "Microsoft"
Replies: 134
Views: 39732

Re: 1118: "Microsoft"

Of course the difference (regarding Facebook and Apple anyway) is their consistent failure to REALLY corner the market. I can't speak to Google but he's probably right about them. Either way, Facebook is hated as much as it's loved and Apple is starting to revert to its usual niche market as other ...
by JetstreamGW
Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1118: "Microsoft"
Replies: 134
Views: 39732

Re: 1118: "Microsoft"

Of course the difference (regarding Facebook and Apple anyway) is their consistent failure to REALLY corner the market. I can't speak to Google but he's probably right about them. Either way, Facebook is hated as much as it's loved and Apple is starting to revert to its usual niche market as other p...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1114: "Metallurgy"
Replies: 138
Views: 31058

Re: 1114: "Metallurgy"

Or we can mine Neptune for its diamond core and finally break De Beers' monopoly. As I understand, that monopoly was broken about ten to fifteen years ago, around the time the Blood Diamond thing sparked up. http://www.economist.com/node/21538145 According to this article in the Economist, they act...
by JetstreamGW
Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:30 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-if 0006: "Glass Half Empty"
Replies: 94
Views: 45502

Re: What-if 0006: Glass Half Empty

And while I'm on pet peeves, when hypothetical asteroids strike the earth, why are they always centered on major cities, particularly New York or Los Angeles? Surely most of the earth's surface is water, and another large percentage is sparsely inhabited at best. What if a rock struck 100 miles inl...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1083: "Writing Styles"
Replies: 137
Views: 26431

Re: 1083: "Writing Styles"

The forum button seems to have vanished again...
by JetstreamGW
Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1076: "Groundhog Day"
Replies: 107
Views: 26974

Re: 1072: "Groundhog Day"

suso wrote:Something sounded fishy. 264 days / 7 days = 37 weeks. Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks. So you're saying the earth was born premature? Probably expains a lot.


40 weeks is closer to 10 months, mate.
by JetstreamGW
Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1073: "Weekend"
Replies: 53
Views: 18000

Re: 1073: "Weekend"

We are all, in fact, working for the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLA3cdUt5to
by JetstreamGW
Wed May 16, 2012 4:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1056: "Felidae"
Replies: 170
Views: 46536

Re: 1056: Felidae

Steve the Pocket wrote:Well, there's one problem Android will never have. We all laughed at their decision to name their versions after desserts. Who's laughing now?


Oh you can run out of desserts. Especially if they iterate three or four times a year like they seem to be.
by JetstreamGW
Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1043: “Ablogalypse”
Replies: 92
Views: 32153

Re: 1043: “Ablogalypse”

Unfortunately, Randall has just corrupted his own data by making a comic about it. The Google trends for anything he makes a comic about go crazy as soon as he makes the comic, so these results are probably no longer accurate. EDIT: Ninja'd, damn No, no, those results are accurate. His prediction i...
by JetstreamGW
Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1037: "Umwelt"
Replies: 478
Views: 318912

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

Fucking around with user agents in Chrome on Windows 7, Firefox gives me the snake, and Chrome gives me this: http://files.miffthefox.info/snow-in-al.png XKCD. IT DOESN'T SNOW IN ALABAMA. (Although if you changed the hurricane one to be about tornados I'd forgive you.) Christ, I can't figure out ho...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”
Replies: 116
Views: 36310

Re: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”

I'm unimpressed. There are 170 calories in a cadbury egg and 150 calories in a 12 oz can of Dr. pepper. Singling out soda as particularly unhealthy has been going on for a while, and doesn't really have much science behind it. Drinking a Dr. Pepper with dinner and not having dessert is roughly the ...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”
Replies: 116
Views: 36310

Re: 1035: “Cadbury Eggs”

US grams are smaller than outside the US? The eggs sold in the USA are somewhat smaller than those in other countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_egg During an interview on the April 4th, 2007 episode of Late Night with Conan O' Brien, actor B. J. Novak drew attention to the fact that Ame...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1032: "Networking"
Replies: 123
Views: 40209

Re: 1032: "Networking"

What the deuce?
by JetstreamGW
Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1016: "Valentine Dilemma"
Replies: 99
Views: 27964

Re: 1016: "Valentine Dilemma"

How faux pas. Giving easter candy in February is just promoting the corporations releasing all those egg-shaped treats as early as Boxing Day! Also, <3. The earlier and more frequently we get Cadburry Creme Eggs, the better it is for ALL THE WORLD. Oh and Jared The Great? Your sig is the worst joke...
by JetstreamGW
Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1011: "Baby Names by Frank Zappa"
Replies: 302
Views: 83462

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Wait wait wait!


Is Randall implying that he read the books years ago?
by JetstreamGW
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1010: "Etymology-Man"
Replies: 84
Views: 31553

Re: 1010: "Etymology-Man"

He's probably more thickly drawn because otherwise he doesn't stand out enough from his cape.

In the pictures of Doctrow (if I recall) his cape was red, so that problem wasn't ... a problem... But here the cape is just unfilled like everything else, so the thicker lines would serve to contrast.
by JetstreamGW
Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1003: "Hitler and Eve"
Replies: 447
Views: 94467

Re: 1003: "Adam and Eve"

Cain: "Damn it, Abel gets EVERYTHING!" I don't care who y'are, that's pretty funny right thar. [/Larry the Cable Guy voice] As a few others have said, it seems to me that in addition to twerking the homophobic holy rollers, Randall is riffing on the Literalist account of Genesis and the i...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1003: "Hitler and Eve"
Replies: 447
Views: 94467

Re: 1003: "Adam and Eve"

This crosses a line and yet... Brings up a very good point. Just like "Adam and Steve", "Abel and Eve" is also immoral, probably even more immoral. I stand here right now and challenge every single atheist in this thread to prove to me that incest is moral. Go! (No, I'm not trol...
by JetstreamGW
Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0991: "Phantom Menace"
Replies: 110
Views: 38583

Re: 0991: "Phantom Menace"

I was briefly horrified when I thought it had been ten years since the release of Phantom Menace. I would just feel old if it had been ten years. It... is not the tenth year since the release. As long as I don't do the math I'll be fine. You're absolutely right. It hasn't been ten years since the r...

Go to advanced search