Search found 7 matches

by arto7
Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1389: "Surface Area"
Replies: 125
Views: 38184

Re: 1389: "Surface Area"

Venus's atmosphere is nearly a hundred times thicker than Earth's, and because it's 96% Carbon Dioxide, the planet has a massive greenhouse effect. Can you think of a way to get rid of most of a planet's atmosphere to reduce the temperature enough so water stays liquid? Then there's the other 4% of...
by arto7
Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1385: "Throwing Rocks"
Replies: 37
Views: 8238

Re: 1385: "Throwing Rocks"

I never realized that White Hat was representative of a naively cruel, or childish, and indifferent god. Possibly relevant song lyric, "The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,..."
by arto7
Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"
Replies: 879
Views: 154604

Re: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"

There was some sensationalism about someone's theory of global cooling back in the 70's. However, it did not have the consensus or support of much of the scientific community, particularly climatologists. So, yes someone said that, no that does not make the current science false. It does point out t...
by arto7
Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"
Replies: 879
Views: 154604

Re: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"

Interesting on the parks but now do the same thing with cities. I put in Chicago, New York, London, Moscow, Los Angeles. Put in cities on your own and tell me the trend that you find. Not sure why the discrepancy. Wolfram did not have data for the couple of African National Parks I entered as my fir...
by arto7
Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1365: "Inflation"
Replies: 56
Views: 28761

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Dr. Gamera wrote:And all the world is football-shaped // It's just for me to kick in space.

But I thought all the world was biscuit shaped / there for me to feed my face.
by arto7
Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1040: "Lakes and Oceans"
Replies: 166
Views: 81449

Re: 1040: "Lakes and Oceans"

The Ballmer peak references a talk that Mr. Munro gave at Google in 2007. Someone else posted a picture of the graph as a spoiler. Here is a link to the video of the talk. http://youtu.be/zJOS0sV2a24 Eh... could I you provide a more explicit explanation? The video has almost an hour and there are n...
by arto7
Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1040: "Lakes and Oceans"
Replies: 166
Views: 81449

Re: 1040: "Lakes and Oceans"

The Ballmer peak references a talk that Mr. Munro gave at Google in 2007. Someone else posted a picture of the graph as a spoiler. Here is a link to the video of the talk. http://youtu.be/zJOS0sV2a24

Go to advanced search