Search found 120 matches

by webzter_again
Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Do you Dream?
Replies: 33
Views: 9436

Re: Do you Dream?

Роберт wrote:
webzter_again wrote:
Dream wrote:Sentence fragment.


evading the question. What are you hiding?!?

Do you, webzter_again?


I
by webzter_again
Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Do you Dream?
Replies: 33
Views: 9436

Re: Do you Dream?

Dream wrote:Sentence fragment.


evading the question. What are you hiding?!?
by webzter_again
Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 14032
Views: 1919503

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

SlyReaper wrote:Alternatively, another envelope with "Not to be opened until 2112" written on it.


Another envelope with "not to be opened after 1999" written on it.
by webzter_again
Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60777

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

From a nation of 300 million, you found 5 people who were successful without college. Strong evidence this is. I was given a list of the ten richest americans and told that "Even at the very highest levels of wealth, education is damned important, and birth is a lot less so." I fail to se...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60777

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Conclusion: Even at the very highest levels of wealth, education is damned important, and birth is a lot less so. Gates - college dropout Ellison - college dropout Jobs - college dropout (obviously not on current list due to being dead and all, but worth mentioning) Christy Walton (note spelling) -...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60777

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

If you're born in the top 20% what are your chances of ending up in the top 80%? If you're born in the bottom 20% what are your chances of ending up in the top 80%? [...] you don't seem to realise than when you "adjust for parents income" or other similar adjustments you're adjusting for ...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Arizona Immigration and Driver Licensing
Replies: 18
Views: 2596

Re: Arizona Immigration and Driver Licensing

I will punch you in the face so hard. Shut up and go away, or feel my fist on the inside of the back of your skull. Such violent threats are not acceptable on this forum. Consider yourself warned. -- Zamfir Something along the lines of, 'Holy pancakes Batman the Riddler is here!' might have been mo...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:17 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Not Equals
Replies: 91
Views: 56445

Re: Not Equals

F# (note, I'm an F# newb) > let a = 3 - a = 4 val a : int = 3 > let a = 3 - a <- 4 a <- 4 ^^^^^^ stdin(8,1): error FS0027: This value is not mutable > let mutable a = 3 - a = 4 val mutable a : int = 3 > let mutable a = 3 - a <- 4 val mutable a : int = 4 > let a = 3 - let b = a + 1 val a : int = 3 va...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Arizona Immigration and Driver Licensing
Replies: 18
Views: 2596

Re: Arizona Immigration and Driver Licensing

I will punch you in the face so hard. Shut up and go away, or feel my fist on the inside of the back of your skull. Such violent threats are not acceptable on this forum. Consider yourself warned. -- Zamfir Something along the lines of, 'Holy pancakes Batman the Riddler is here!' might have been mo...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:36 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?
Replies: 121
Views: 26971

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

People very rarely intend to be an ass, and most of the time when they are, they don't realize it. The few times that that is their intention, a little advice isn't going to change their mind. Hmm, and then there's the fact that interpretations of assholishness differ from person to person as well....
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life
Replies: 151
Views: 17023

Re: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life

I see you've come to these conclusions after thoughtful consideration and deep knowledge of both of the individuals involved in this case That's why I often don't bother parsing text like that. It's a bit difficult to understand what they're trying to say, and then turns out to be... statements wit...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?
Replies: 121
Views: 26971

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it... For me, it works. Basically, the point is treat others the way you'd want to be treated. Or, avoid treating others as you'd dislike being treated. Or maybe just don't be an asshole. [...] The intentions of this advice are of course noble - just it w...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Stored Procedures vs ORM
Replies: 5
Views: 9928

Re: Stored Procedures vs ORM

interviewed three people this week... three people use stored procedures because of one or more of the following "its more secure", "it lets me protect against sql injection attacks", or "I don't like raw sql in my code"
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Not Equals
Replies: 91
Views: 56445

Re: Not Equals

Actually I'd also consider just using ≠ (and ≤ and ≥) and letting people set up their editors so that they could get that. Non ASCII code just seems weird to me. public class ಠ_ಠAttribute : Attribute { public ಠ_ಠAttribute() { Debugger.Log(1,"Code Review Time","This code is bad and yo...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 pm UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: Help me set up/pick a development server
Replies: 7
Views: 1685

Re: Help me set up/pick a development server

My only addition to the thread is to suggest looking at Vagrant if you haven't already. Depending on how varied the work you do, getting in the habit of setting up and tearing down VMs might be very worthwhile.
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 318670

Re: Gun Control

The vast majority of guns on battlefields until mid to late 20th century weren't even used, much less used to kill anyone. There would have been no survivors if more than a tiny fraction of Civil War soldiers actually shot their weapons in the general direction of the enemy, much less aimed. Even i...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Help Wanted
Replies: 36
Views: 71814

Re: Help Wanted

We're hiring a junior to mid-level .net dev in Denver, CO. Some level of experience with asp.net, some sort of MVC stack experience, and JavaScript all highly useful. Plus you get to work with me and I'm a very charming fellow. Salary is competitive, work will be challenging, and the company is very...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 am UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Plural of "Octopus"
Replies: 89
Views: 45934

Re: Plural of "Octopus"

octocat: http://octodex.github.com/red-polo/ octocats: http://octodex.github.com/momtocat/ octopussy octopussies : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/octopussies (see also http://octopussies.tumblr.com/) There is no other valid option* * I don't have any marine biologist friends nor does octopus come up ...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?
Replies: 121
Views: 26971

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

every third post on Reddit wrote:don't stick your dick in crazy


but since this is SB.

"none of us get out alive so find something you love doing that you can make a living at and stop worrying so much"
- my 86 yr old friend Ivan
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Where does political ad money go?
Replies: 9
Views: 3771

Re: Where does political ad money go?

(Between Adblock and not watching TV anymore, I find I for one am not easily reached by advertisers, or so I'd like to think.) We don't have cable TV (and the only over-the-air we get is PBS and CBS), but we do subscribe to Hulu. There are, I'm guessing, about 6-8 15 second advertising spots in a g...
by webzter_again
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Plural of "Octopus"
Replies: 89
Views: 45934

Re: Plural of "Octopus"

But in thinking that you're right, because you agreed with me and thus are now permanently wrong, then you must be wrong! But because I asserted you're wrong, then you must also be right! And so we enter an infinite loop, in which it is impossible to determine correctness relative to me. This is pr...
by webzter_again
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Christianity, and the anti-gay part of it, didn't become the majority through illicit means. They became so by a long, steady build of influence, power, and results. ... The homosexual culture in particular, and the multicultural view in general, both have a long way to go before they reach the sta...
by webzter_again
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

felltir: Depends how you describe it semantically. You'll lose comparative privilege, but literally speaking, comparative privilege isn't a thing that has a quantifiable affect on you.* It seems more contextual than that to me. Suppose I lived in a country where only "males" were allowed ...
by webzter_again
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:45 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

edit: this post removed as context was fixed... so now this post has no context. :twisted:
by webzter_again
Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Christianity was enough to get people to give up their homes and join the crusades. Does multiculturalism inspire that kind of commitment? If it did, you wouldn't need to have the fight. ... taking a gun and shooting the opposition is counterproductive. I was not aware that the crusades were fought...
by webzter_again
Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 am UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: truffles
Replies: 8
Views: 4111

Re: truffles

not all truffles are that expensive, a quick search found me jars that contain 2 truffles in olive oil for less than $30 USD A fair point, but there are truffles and then there are truffles. There are black truffles from France which are expensive, regulated , counterfeited , and sold on the black ...
by webzter_again
Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4154
Views: 682432

Re: Today I Made:

Blueberries + sugar + butter + vanilla extract + lemon extract + dash of cinnamon. Reduced over low heat, cooled slightly, served over vanilla ice cream.

yes.
by webzter_again
Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The pros and cons of wars
Replies: 42
Views: 7565

Re: The pros and cons of wars

So, what is a war? Who benefits? Who doesn't? As the popular song goes, "War, what is it good for?" I very much enjoyed my copy of Archaeology of Violence by Pierre Clastres. He examines primitive warfare and it's role among indigenous tribes in South America. It's been a while so I don't...
by webzter_again
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 am UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Homogeneous diets
Replies: 22
Views: 7984

Re: Homogeneous diets

Also, when asking if they could recommend anywhere to buy similar, human-edible products I was advised to contact my "university county extension" for suggestions. After consulting google and wikipedia, I still have no idea what such a thing is. Does anyone else recognise the term? If the...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:32 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Jave D wrote:So the subject of this topic is not really the shooting, but the vast liberal media conspiracy? Just checking.


a complaint that a news story above the fold on the front page of various news outlets isn't on the front page because of some massive conspiracy.
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimize...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 23207

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

The real interesting part of this, to me, is the media coverage. CNN doesn't have it up on their front page at all. Except for the fact that CNN has it on their front page: http://i.imgur.com/2Hhqm.png I suspect it's a ratings game. Why would any national news outlet devote a lot of real estate to ...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Stored Procedures vs ORM
Replies: 5
Views: 9928

Re: Stored Procedures vs ORM

Well there are stored procedures and there are ORMs and then there are ORMs. Purely thinking in the .net space, you've got your traditional ORMs like NHibernate and Entity Framework and then a breed of very lightweight "ORMs" like Massive, Dapper and Simple.Data. (and there are data access...
by webzter_again
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9771
Views: 1574858

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Also, I don't actually know what the standard pattern is. if I understand what you're after, I've seen it called the guard pattern (and you can usually find a lot of projects that have a guard.cs file hanging around somewhere). For a somewhat more invasive approach, check out Microsoft Code Contrac...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:00 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9771
Views: 1574858

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Isn't the point that it's a member of Table that I can access without restriction enough to say that it violates principles of data hiding? How can you access it without restriction? There's a public get on the property. But you can't access it without restriction. It has a public getter which retu...
by webzter_again
Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9771
Views: 1574858

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

sourmìlk wrote:Isn't the point that it's a member of Table that I can access without restriction enough to say that it violates principles of data hiding?


How can you access it without restriction?

What would a better implementation look like?
by webzter_again
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Office
Replies: 25
Views: 28705

Re: Office

Related to Office (but not the Ribbon discussion), when I need to write documentation these days I'm turning to Sphinx more than anything. It creates pretty enough HTML (my primary use case) and it can output decent PDFs via LaTeX. I'm fairly noobish on the editor front but I tend to stick to either...
by webzter_again
Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: What Fun and Useful Programming Language Should I Learn?
Replies: 39
Views: 12435

Re: What Fun and Useful Programming Language Should I Learn?

I'll second Clojure

if you want to stick around the .net space a bit, I'd also recommend Nemerle http://nemerle.org/About/ for funsies.
by webzter_again
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:35 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Childhood misconceptions
Replies: 868
Views: 85606

Re: Childhood misconceptions

I used to think that muscles prevented body hair; all the people I knew were overweight and had chest hair and all the people I saw with muscles in magazines didn't have chest hair.
by webzter_again
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act
Replies: 429
Views: 62394

Re: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act

Ghostbear wrote:Professional statistician* thinks intrade is being overconfident.

* Is "professional statistician" the proper term to use here? It seemed the best fit.


Hmm, math wins yet again.

Go to advanced search