Search found 139 matches

by Negrebskoh
Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: So many interesting things to do/learn!
Replies: 14
Views: 8345

Re: So many interesting things to do/learn!

Some very good advice in this thread! Many thanks, peoples. :D

This confuses me, though.
Jplus wrote:You say that university is not an option for you.

Who says that? I don't see anyone in this thread saying anything like that? :oops:
by Negrebskoh
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:37 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

*must resist looking at spoilers*

Turns out I still needed an avatar! :D
by Negrebskoh
Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:48 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)
Replies: 13405
Views: 1496346

Re: Today I Learned

TIL about flywheel energy storage, thanks to What-If 86. Interesting stuff!
by Negrebskoh
Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Article: Bitcoin creator ousted!(?)
Replies: 7
Views: 3691

Re: Article: Bitcoin creator ousted!(?)

Has Satoshi Nakamoto made a habit of denying being specific people in the past? I don't believe so, but this article is a bit of a special case. There's a been significant outrage all over the intertubes because of the unresponsible disclosure of all sorts of personal information about the man by N...
by Negrebskoh
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9869
Views: 1776063

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

ahammel wrote:Bladow! New keyboard:

Spoiler:
Image

Extra points for HJKL, and a brownie for not having a Windows logo on the Super key.
by Negrebskoh
Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Jay911 wrote:The Laughter Song (which I've always thought was titled "Giggle at the Ghostie", but I learned something today)

I think it is called that - the YT vid just gave it a different name, methinks.
by Negrebskoh
Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: So many interesting things to do/learn!
Replies: 14
Views: 8345

Re: So many interesting things to do/learn!

I'm in awe of people who have worked toward one thing from a young age. Mixed feelings. I'm impressed as well, but I just don't see how people can be happy doing just one thing in their lives (no matter how broad they claim the subject is). This is a major cause of concern for me, since you can't g...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

That's one of the things that intrigued me about the show. Every one of the six main characters has a genuine mental breakdown in the first season. Cheese completely off the cracker. Kind of a strange thing to see in a kids' show. Slightly unrelated: are the other seasons good as well? I presume th...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: So many interesting things to do/learn!
Replies: 14
Views: 8345

Re: So many interesting things to do/learn!

However, if you aren't doing even that, how can you claim to be interested in even one thing, let alone many things? Pretty simple, actually. I can get extremely giddy about a number of things, but then not find myself able to work on them for longer than a week. Interest does not imply always bein...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1339: "When You Assume"
Replies: 50
Views: 12175

Re: 1339: "When You Assume"

Klear wrote:Finally a pure GOOMGR moment for me! I had exactly this idea not four days ago. Then again, I assume a lot of people come up with this joke at some point.

I confidently assert that you mean GOOMHR.
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]

Technically, threatening Russia with a stick is only going to make it worse if the stick isn't big enough. As the size of the explosion increases, the number of problems it can't solve drops to 0. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? TM In addition, the US isn't the only one with ulterior motives, Europe ...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Honestly, they're all pretty awesome. I'm just a big fan of people ponies bursting out singing, the world could use more of that.

Good god I'm turning soft already.
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]

Once you start with serious sanctions, you close that option. But it takes time to discover if the Russians are willing to make a deal. This is, honestly, why I don't understand the US approach at the moment. Don't they understand that threatening Russia with the stick only makes it less likely tha...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

OK, so I watched the pilot. These are my thoughts: 1. It's surprisingly... non-childish. I mean, sure, it's a cartoon and there are ponies, but there's actually some story behind it that may be entertaining to watch. I assumed it would be some kind of 'Teletubbies for girly girls' (which was why I w...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]

sardia wrote:it's that Europe has been bought off by the Russians

That's a bit blunt. It may well have to do with trade (see picture), but I wouldn't call that 'bought off'.
Image
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Pregnancy drinking examined as criminal in court case
Replies: 16
Views: 3728

Re: Pregnancy drinking examined as criminal in court case

On the one hand, presuming the mother knows she's pregnant and knows excessive drinking harms the baby, continuing to drink heavily is practically a form of child abuse. Not a very subtle way of looking at it, I know, but that's what it comes down to. As mentioned though, punishing women who are ig...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Pregnancy drinking examined as criminal in court case
Replies: 16
Views: 3728

Re: Pregnancy drinking examined as criminal in court case

I have extremely mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, presuming the mother knows she's pregnant and knows excessive drinking harms the baby, continuing to drink heavily is practically a form of child abuse. Not a very subtle way of looking at it, I know, but that's what it comes down to. On t...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]


I'm curiously impressed by how smart they're playing this. The more Crimea looks like a part of Russia, the more convincing the "We need to defend our own Russian citizens"-rhetoric becomes.
by Negrebskoh
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4462
Views: 799086

Re: Today I Made:

Bakemaster wrote:I suggest a delicious French lentil soup.

Can confirm that French lentil soup is, indeed, delicious. Thanks. (:
by Negrebskoh
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: So many interesting things to do/learn!
Replies: 14
Views: 8345

So many interesting things to do/learn!

...That you end up doing nothing. I wonder if this is a common occurence for people on xkcd. I've noticed myself doing this a lot, and figured it's possible the people who frequent xkcd might be similar. (I unfortunately don't know any close friends or family members who do this, and I've asked arou...
by Negrebskoh
Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 308926

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Heard a lot about it, never seen an episode. I kind of want to watch one sometime, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to take myself seriously ever again.
by Negrebskoh
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4462
Views: 799086

Re: Today I Made:

I just made vegetable broth, but I don't actually know what kind of soup I want to make. Not particularly looking forward to drinking only broth for dinner.
by Negrebskoh
Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]

CorruptUser wrote:I was more upset that it was going to cost hundreds of American lives

Minor annoyance, but it always irks me a bit when people talk about 'American lives', as if they're somehow different from 'lives'.
by Negrebskoh
Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Government and Economy Falls

Somewhat off-topic, but... [...] They could aim more at a situation like Transdniestria or Abkhazia [...] Wut and what? I'll be the first to admit my extreme lack of knowledge of historical and political events (and topography, for that matter), but are there any good sources I could read to get a ...
by Negrebskoh
Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:40 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 148536

Re: Ukraine Government and Economy Falls

Somewhat off-topic, but... [...] They could aim more at a situation like Transdniestria or Abkhazia [...] Wut and what? I'll be the first to admit my extreme lack of knowledge of historical and political events (and topography, for that matter), but are there any good sources I could read to get a g...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28495
Views: 3056204

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

its SO much easier to report something as DOA than "intermittent failure" Yeah, this product was definitely a DOA, but if something works for a day, then dies, I'm not going to tell them "Well, it worked at first, but then it died." That's a surefire way to get them to say "...
by Negrebskoh
Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28495
Views: 3056204

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Related pant. This new PC I was building? Mobo was semi-broken first. RMAd it, got a new mobo, turned out the video card I had was flaky as well. Returned it, got a new video card, DOA. :( Run of bad luck that is. (or flaky supplier) sorry to hear that. *electric hugs* Not sure electric hugs are go...
by Negrebskoh
Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: EVE Online
Replies: 4827
Views: 574235

Re: EVE Online

How have I not listened to EVE Radio before today...

And 'Hurricanes' is a totally brilliant song.
by Negrebskoh
Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9869
Views: 1776063

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

A program that steals focus, at any point in its execution, is annoying. A program that steals focus, at any point in its execution, with something that can take keyboard input is evil. Somewhat related: installers that take three hours to complete but no of course they need me to provide some bit ...
by Negrebskoh
Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28495
Views: 3056204

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Related pant. This new PC I was building? Mobo was semi-broken first. RMAd it, got a new mobo, turned out the video card I had was flaky as well. Returned it, got a new video card, DOA. :(
by Negrebskoh
Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9869
Views: 1776063

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Xenomortis wrote:How do the loops look after the compiler's had its way with them?

That's the most important question, I think. The first thought that entered my mind after reading what you (Diadem) wrote was "Huh, seems like you're accidentally interfering with the compiler's optimization heuristics."
by Negrebskoh
Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9869
Views: 1776063

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Is *_ some sort of indicator or part of syntax for any languages? I saw someone on the interwebs use *_ in a similar manner as I would use $ in $example in casual text, but it turns out that it's really hard to search for *_ and get potentially relevant results instead of emoticon things. Might jus...
by Negrebskoh
Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Today I Made:
Replies: 4462
Views: 799086

Re: Today I Made:

I made improvised nut cookies.

Grind a bunch of nuts (I used walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and pecans) in a food processor or blender, add raisins, add a bit of cinnamon and sugar, add coconot cream and an egg, mix. Finally, put it in the oven for a while.

Delicious goodness. :D
by Negrebskoh
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: IT Jobs in the USA
Replies: 5
Views: 4302

Re: IT Jobs in the USA

Getting a job offer doesn't necessarily require permanent residence. The chances of permanent residence are more likely with a high-level, advanced career position, but if you're just finishing your CS degree and only have a couple of years experience, it's not very likely. Many companies do sponso...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:53 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: IT Jobs in the USA
Replies: 5
Views: 4302

Re: IT Jobs in the USA

Regarding the permanent residence problem - that's actually one of the reasons I'm asking. It's not so much that I think I would be heavily discriminated against and therefore would be unable to get a job, but that I wonder whether obtaining permanent residence through a job offer is something one c...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:28 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28495
Views: 3056204

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

I'm filling an entire 1TB HDD with random data because I want to encrypt it. This is going to take a while... Is there a particular reason why you'd want to do that? It's vital in block-device encryption that the encrypted data (seemingly random bytes) are indistinguishable from the rest of the dis...
by Negrebskoh
Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:08 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: IT Jobs in the USA
Replies: 5
Views: 4302

IT Jobs in the USA

Since the xkcd fora appear to be filled with people who both a.) live in the USA, and b.) have a tech job of some kind, I figured this might be a good place to ask. It's a career-related question, so I'm not sure what board it should've been placed in - I hope general is fine. Basically, I'm going t...
by Negrebskoh
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:41 pm UTC
Forum: XKCD Meetups
Topic: [US] Los Angeles area
Replies: 30
Views: 30140

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

I may, ah, try to move the US - and one of the big cities in CA in particular - after I finish my degree in the Netherlands.

So, uhm, hang around for a few years, and I just might come to your next meetup. :D
by Negrebskoh
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Blistering blue barnacles
Replies: 28495
Views: 3056204

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

I'm filling an entire 1TB HDD with random data because I want to encrypt it. This is going to take a while...

Go to advanced search