Search found 257 matches

by Faranya
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0977: "Map Projections"
Replies: 353
Views: 136154

Re: Map Projections

Why is it upside-down? Up on a planet is a purely arbitrary choice. As someone living in the southern hemisphere why should my country always be on the bottom? Because the majority of the world's landmass is north of the equator, people tend to look at the top of a page first, and people tend to be...
by Faranya
Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0947: “Investing”
Replies: 148
Views: 33153

Re: 0947: “Investing”

iChef wrote: (The state tax on people who are bad at math)


See, I always had a problem with people making statements like that. By that logic, anyone who spends disposable income on something they find enjoyable is "wasting" their money...
by Faranya
Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0940: "Oversight"
Replies: 103
Views: 42085

Re: 0940: "Oversight"

hamjudo wrote:[Details of the sex life of a 50 year old have been omitted so as not to shock the sensibilities of any 20 year old readers.]


More cunnilingus than we could possibly imagine?
by Faranya
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:26 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0913: "Core"
Replies: 95
Views: 20705

Re: 0913: "Core"

astronelson wrote:
Millumi wrote:Same thing for astrologists, except they point up.


Surely you mean astronomers, astrophysicists, and cosmologists?


Yeah, astrologists really have nowhere to point...
by Faranya
Fri May 20, 2011 5:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0901: "Temperature"
Replies: 114
Views: 28005

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

In all honesty, wouldn't an effective oral pregnancy test be tremendously popular? Particularly if it were reusable?
by Faranya
Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0900: "Religions"
Replies: 178
Views: 38159

Re: 0900: "Religions"

I've never understood how people can combine religions when each religion clearly states that they are the only one. That being said, it would be awesome if the whole world would decide on some Islamic Judeo-Christian faith so we can focus on more important things. I think it would be even more awe...
by Faranya
Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0894: "Progeny"
Replies: 97
Views: 18291

Re: 0894: Progeny

Turning_Green wrote:Man can create a machine. Can machine create a man?


Not yet.
by Faranya
Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0891: "Movie Ages"
Replies: 158
Views: 38221

Re: 891: Movie Ages

Zalde Ocga wrote::( this sucks, I'm only fourteen, where do I fall into this chart?


You don't, because you are not old and cannot be made to feel old.
by Faranya
Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0891: "Movie Ages"
Replies: 158
Views: 38221

Re: 891: Movie Ages

So the algorithm is: 1) Figure out the difference between now and when they were 10-11 years old. 2) Figure out a movie that came out at that time. 3) Find a way to make that difference sound like a long time. 4) Tell them about it. 5) ??? 6) Profit Proposed step 5: pickpocketing, curing cancer, ro...
by Faranya
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0891: "Movie Ages"
Replies: 158
Views: 38221

Re: 891: Movie Ages

Aw man, I saw Jurassic Park when it came out.

When I was 3.

At a drive in theater.

Which doesn't exist anymore.
by Faranya
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0890: "Etymology"
Replies: 170
Views: 28972

Re: 0890: Etymology

I watched all 6 Star Wars movies with some friends on Friday night / well into Saturday morning. Could Randall secretly be one of the people in my Creative Writing class?! No. No he could not. We might as well get this straight: there are only three Star Wars movies. We might as well get this strai...
by Faranya
Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0888: "Heaven"
Replies: 131
Views: 34199

Re: 0888: Heaven

Did anyone else think of The Scary Door? "A casino where I always win! Wow, I must be in heaven!" "Wait a minute... A casino where I always win... that's boring! I must be in hell!" It's Hell if gambling is all you can do with the money. It's Heaven if that money can be used to ...
by Faranya
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0887: "Future Timeline"
Replies: 192
Views: 56110

Re: 0887: "Future Timeline"

Absolutely awesome comic... Was I the only one reading the list and counting off what could potentially occur in my own lifetime, then breathing a sigh of relief when I read immortality? ;-) 2040: Nanotechnology makes humans immortal. Please please please let this one be true. You certainly weren't...
by Faranya
Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"
Replies: 137
Views: 47704

Re: 0886: "Craigslist Apartments"

Tyrannosaur wrote:
A_of_s_t wrote:Anything is possible in Minecraft.


The only limit is yourself.


And continuous arcs.
by Faranya
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0884: "Rogers St."
Replies: 241
Views: 69381

Re: 0884: "Rogers St."

Jake Prescott bitches!

Well...I actually just sound like a douche with that name...

Ok, middle name-street. GO!

Gregory Prescott.

Damn, now I sound like some uptight Englishman...
by Faranya
Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0873: "FPS Mod"
Replies: 105
Views: 29943

Re: 0873: "FPS Mod"

According to Mitchio Kaku, we will have computerized contact lenses that could just "googl" someone's biography onsight and instantly. So I guess this strip could be possible in the near future. Its always easier to kill strangers than people you know even a little about, so i guess such ...
by Faranya
Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0883: "Pain Rating"
Replies: 136
Views: 47103

Re: 0883: "Pain Rating"

MrBawn wrote:If you say your pain goes to 11, they give you a spinal tap. (No, really, this happened to my wife.)


Well done sir, your pun has reached a value of 2 on this theoretical pain scale.
by Faranya
Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0883: "Pain Rating"
Replies: 136
Views: 47103

Re: 0883: "Pain Rating"

Specifically, the one where you're frozen in ice, unable to move for all of eternity. I believe that's the one for non-belief. Wikipedia says Treachery . The one for Heresy (which isn't quite non-belief, but meh) is being trapped in flaming tombs. Which would also be pretty uncomfortable. Actually,...
by Faranya
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0866: "Compass and Straightedge"
Replies: 94
Views: 21573

Re: 0866: "Compass and Straightedge"

phlip wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:...and in the darkness bind them?

If you have the right kind of friends, and they're in to that sort of thing...

And only where the shadows lie.
by Faranya
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0864: "Flying Cars"
Replies: 117
Views: 23496

Re: 0864: "Flying Cars"

You would need to reassemble someone or something after you 'beam them' and somehow I believe it could only be done at another transporter, otherwise the matter and energy would go boom or reassemble randomly. And, of course, if you can create an identical copy of a person from light which has been...
by Faranya
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0866: "Compass and Straightedge"
Replies: 94
Views: 21573

Re: 0866: "Compass and Straightedge"

ImTestingSleeping wrote:A ruler which constructs friends? A ruler to rule them all?


No, it can't construct friends.

It can however find them.
by Faranya
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0864: "Flying Cars"
Replies: 117
Views: 23496

Re: 0864: "Flying Cars"

TO hell with flying cars. I want reasonable, not ridiculously loud and energy inefficient hovercraft. Mostly because I hate parallel parking and hydroplaning...
by Faranya
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0861: "Wisdom Teeth"
Replies: 116
Views: 27317

Re: 0861: "Wisdom Teeth"

I recall the surgery to get my wisdom teeth out. I was out for a bit, then I woke up and could feel them chipping away at my teeth and sucking the broken shards out. Then I went under for a bit, but I remember them removing the IV anesthetic. Immediately afterward I stood up and started walking to t...
by Faranya
Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0842: "Mark"
Replies: 108
Views: 44365

Re: 0842: "Mark"

To those who don't get it. I interpreted the humor as this: The man is a near-existentialist who has found purpose in his life by being part of this club. He knows nothing about it, but he's sure it's important, and he's glad to be a part of it. Whereas in actual fact, it's a puerile joke. I interp...
by Faranya
Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0812: "Glass"
Replies: 119
Views: 30523

Re: 0812: Glass

katrmr wrote:@black_hat_guy: can you really be sure that a chair, when you turn your back to it, doesn't transform into a rabbit?

Yes, as my lettuce remains uneaten. Unless of course my lettuce becomes a chair while I'm not looking...
by Faranya
Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0808: "The Economic Argument"
Replies: 558
Views: 92582

Re: 0808: "The Economic Argument"

I'm not here to bait anyone, I'm here to encourage people to use logic and think. Except you are not encouraging thought. You are doing exactly the opposite. You are encouraging some bizarre rationalizing to the idea of 'anything is possible' based on some infinite regression in probability. You tr...
by Faranya
Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:56 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0808: "The Economic Argument"
Replies: 558
Views: 92582

Re: 0808: "The Economic Argument"

You haven't provided any links to evidence to the contrary, either, but expect me to provide links to evidence supporting it. I've seen a number of studies, but not for years, lol. See, the problem here is folks who do not understand the difference between evidence, and conclusive evidence. That an...
by Faranya
Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0811: "Starlight"
Replies: 130
Views: 28421

Re: 0811: "Starlight"

I doubt that bouncing is the solution to this. I would hypothesize that the photon is absorbed by the material, and then the material of the mirror emits another photon of approximately the same, but slightly less energy.
by Faranya
Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0809: "Los Alamos"
Replies: 181
Views: 46652

Re: 0809: Los Alamos

When I was in high-school I was the first one to get to math class one day. The teacher asked me to sit in a chair at the front of the class and I complied. She then requested that I take off a shoe and sock. I was perplexed, but did as she asked. Then still without explaining what was going on she...
by Faranya
Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0805: "Paradise City"
Replies: 144
Views: 41769

Re: 0805: Paradise City

LucasBrown wrote:In my reality, the sky is purple, the grass is yellow, and reproduction is asexual so that we can get rid of all that drama and focus on productive lives.


Man, what is with people hating on fun things just because they aren't productive...
by Faranya
Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0803: "Airfoil"
Replies: 243
Views: 99633

Re: 0803: "Airfoil"

... "give your answer in centimeters" so the smarter kids answered 36, and we were supposed to mark it wrong. Of course you were supposed to mark it wrong. It was wrong. I'd have to agree - if the rubric had stated "give your answer in whole centimetres" then 36 was right, but o...
by Faranya
Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0790: "Control"
Replies: 57
Views: 16142

Re: "Control" discussion (#790)

If the participants in the experiment already know who is in the control group, the experiment is useless anyways... For everybody worrying about whether the study is blind or double-blind, don't you think that if a participant is crazy/brilliant enough to have this hobby, he could somehow also fig...
by Faranya
Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0784: "Falling Asleep"
Replies: 96
Views: 28290

Re: Falling Asleep discussion (784)

Am I the only one that interprets it like this: He is happy to go to sleep because that's the only time he is away from her? Makes most of the comments of "get out of my life Randall" kinda weird ;-) I took it as he is trying to make himself feel better because he feels alone because his ...
by Faranya
Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0783: "I Don't Want Directions"
Replies: 193
Views: 37780

Re: "I Don't Want Directions" discussion (#783)

itsmattknox wrote:Nobody else fears that recent xkcd strips have begun to lean on mediocre observational humor?


Last I thought that, he came out with his "movie plot" comic (can't recall numbers atm) which obviously involved a lot of work. Perhaps this will prove to be a similar scenario.
by Faranya
Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0781: "Ahead Stop"
Replies: 171
Views: 37811

Re: "Ahead Stop" discussion (#781)

"Every time someone designs something idiot proof, Nature makes a better idiot." -written on the chalkboard my first day of class for civil engineering. So, the first thing they teach civil engineers is a superiority complex? Or is that simply a prerequisite? Or, you know, it is a useful ...
by Faranya
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0779: "Anxiety"
Replies: 113
Views: 67467

Re: "Anxiety" discussion (#779)

who says BHG is REALLY selling them Viagra?? it seems like he would sell them something painfully worse to take effect for the actual plane ride, much more classholish. or he has cleverly mixed both concoctions of hallucinogens and Viagra. maybe he is only sellin this very concoction because the me...
by Faranya
Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0780: "Sample"
Replies: 135
Views: 24109

Re: Sample (#780) discussion

Songs with sirens in them should not be on the radio. I hate when I'm driving, hear sirens in the background of the music, and then have to look around like an idiot for the non-existent emergency vehicle to confirm whether I need to pull off to the side to let it go by. Also, can't remember the son...
by Faranya
Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0779: "Anxiety"
Replies: 113
Views: 67467

Re: "Anxiety" discussion (#779)

...I know a urologist who literally has to look at penises all day for work, and his life isn't some sort of grotesque nightmare, he's actually quite happy and fulfilled in his life and work. And now you know why he took the job. He enjoys helping people overcome sometimes debilitating illnesses an...
by Faranya
Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0778: "Scheduling"
Replies: 159
Views: 45715

Re: "Scheduling" discussion (#778)

I dreamt last night that I read the most god awful confusing xkcd comic ever created. Then I woke up today and realized I wasn't dreaming, but recalling a memory. Really? I dreamt that I sang "The one that you want" from Grease in a high school production, despite not being in high school...
by Faranya
Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0779: "Anxiety"
Replies: 113
Views: 67467

Re: "Anxiety" discussion (#779)

I laughed. I've only dealt with TSA twice, the most recent one being in June on my return from Hawaii after the MATE ROV competition. The TSA agents in the airport held up one of the team's bags due to an electric motor/propeller that I guess looked suspicious on x-rays. We tried to tell them what i...

Go to advanced search