Search found 66 matches

by Vanzetti
Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:50 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1748: "Future Archaeology"
Replies: 54
Views: 11265

Re: 1748: "Future Archaeology"

Is it the same glowing dot from the AI-Box experiment?

Image
by Vanzetti
Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1645: "Toasts"
Replies: 81
Views: 17084

Re: 1645: "Toasts"

No rest for my wicked friends, and no wick for my rested friends.
by Vanzetti
Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1645: "Toasts"
Replies: 81
Views: 17084

Re: 1645: "Toasts"

Wider shins for my deasil friends and diesel for my widdershins friends.
by Vanzetti
Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0136: "Spiders vs. the Sun"
Replies: 89
Views: 41575

Re: What-If 0136: "Spiders vs. the Sun"

Image

I think this is one of the most amazing pictures Randall did. Lovecraft would be proud.
by Vanzetti
Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1499: "Arbitrage"
Replies: 164
Views: 22670

Re: 1499: "Arbitrage"

On one hand, I understand Randall's point.

On the other, I don't like unwritten rules. Unwritten rules mean that someone should not know them. Unwritten rules lead to information asymmetry. Unwritten rules cause corruption.
by Vanzetti
Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"
Replies: 200
Views: 59996

Re: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"

And the real solution is simpler anyway - "we do not negotiate with terrorists". If you stubbornly refuse to be blackmailed, anyone who knows this will know it's not worth the effort to try. Doesn't work for when you're likely to chicken out and acquiesce in actual blackmail situations, b...
by Vanzetti
Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"
Replies: 200
Views: 59996

Re: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"

And the real solution is simpler anyway - "we do not negotiate with terrorists". If you stubbornly refuse to be blackmailed, anyone who knows this will know it's not worth the effort to try. Doesn't work for when you're likely to chicken out and acquiesce in actual blackmail situations, b...
by Vanzetti
Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"
Replies: 200
Views: 59996

Re: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"

On the one hand, I'm really glad to see my in-group mentioned somewhere as popular as xkcd. On the other hand, I don't like that Roko's Basilisk is still the first thing anyone ever hears about the LessWrong community, FFS that was one time! The only reason it wasn't forgotten instantly was that th...
by Vanzetti
Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"
Replies: 200
Views: 59996

Re: 1450: "AI-Box Experiment"

Sooo... Roko's Basilisk is basically Pascal's Wager repackaged for Singularitarians? "You'd better fund the creation of a super-intelligent AI, because if you don't, it'll create a simulation of hell and put a simulation of you in it." It seems to me that if a super-intelligent AI might s...
by Vanzetti
Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"

I didn't accuse Randall of becoming extremist, I wondered if he is exhibiting the symptoms of the SWJ-plague (I can't read his mind, of course). It's not all black or white. I'm officially confused again. What does SJW-plague mean? A growing trend of groupthink and intolerance of dissenting opinion...
by Vanzetti
Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"

I guess I don't see how that fits with the other arguments on the thread, though. If meaniehead only applies to the extremists, why does criticizing the Devil's Advocate argument suddenly make Randall an extremist? (Unless this is just a Hitler Ate Sugar argument, but I'd like to give you the benef...
by Vanzetti
Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"

So, I've been mostly polite up to this point, but I'm kind of getting stuck on one point: what does any of this have to do with the Devil's Advocate thing anyway? Simply. I got annoyed that Randall decided to come out against the concept of Devil's Advocate aka "Maybe My Opponent Have Somethin...
by Vanzetti
Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"

Here's the gist of the problem. When some fundamental islamist fanatic 10000 miles away from me claims that all who don't agree with him must be beheaded, I don't feel anything. It is expected. Such is the world. Arguing with him is impossible. But when someone close to you says, basically, like, &q...
by Vanzetti
Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Then your reaction to this particular comic is completely baffling. Are you lost? (I mean, also, :roll: at that entire line of thought, but I find "what are you even talking about?" a more pressing question than "what did that strawman do to you to provoke such a beating?") Look...
by Vanzetti
Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:42 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Is it just me, or is Randall starting to exhibit the symptoms of the SJW-plague? I don't want XKCD to go in the direction of Sinfest... Hi. Randy has always (or, well, probably not always, but for most recent memory) been a feminist, anti-racist, and whatever other causes you're lumping under "...
by Vanzetti
Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:02 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Is it just me, or is Randall starting to exhibit the symptoms of the SJW-plague? I don't want XKCD to go in the direction of Sinfest... It is just you . Randall has always taken a stand against at least certain forms of bigotry. If you don't want Randall to go in a direction he's been travelling fo...
by Vanzetti
Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Is it just me, or is Randall starting to exhibit the symptoms of the SJW-plague? I don't want XKCD to go in the direction of Sinfest... Yeah, because if there's one thing plaguing the Internet these days, it's definitely a desire for too much justice . Like, do you not get how much it sounds like y...
by Vanzetti
Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1432: "The Sake of Argument"
Replies: 203
Views: 34259

Re: 1432: "The Sake of Argument

Is it just me, or is Randall starting to exhibit the symptoms of the SJW-plague? I don't want XKCD to go in the direction of Sinfest...
by Vanzetti
Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1362 - "Morse Code"
Replies: 31
Views: 13111

Re: 1362 - "Morse Code"

LJ is like, the largest blogging site in Russian language.
by Vanzetti
Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1294: "Telescope Names"
Replies: 89
Views: 21461

Re: 1294: "Telescope Names"

The Final Telescope has a better resolution than reality.

Alternatively, The Final Telescope is constructed from all the matter in the universe and observes itself.
by Vanzetti
Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1258: First
Replies: 72
Views: 19760

Re: 1258: First

N-th!
by Vanzetti
Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1214: "Geoguessr"
Replies: 102
Views: 30803

Re: 1214: "Geoguessr"

Second try: 31974 points http://www.geoguessr.com?v=eyJ0b3RhbFBvaW50cyI6MzE5NzQsInZlcnNpb24iOjEsInJvdW5kcyI6W1sicm91bmQiLCJsYXQiLCJsbmciLCJnTGF0IiwiZ0xuZyIsImNMYXQiLFtudWxsXSwiY0xuZyIsW251bGxdLCJwb2ludHMiXSxbMSwtMzIuMzY5MDg4LDE0OS4yNDQyNTcwMDAwMDAwNiwtMzIuMzY3OTI4MDk4ODc0OTU1LDE0OS4yNTA2NDA4NjkxNDA...
by Vanzetti
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1110:"Click and Drag"
Replies: 595
Views: 660605

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

blowfishhootie wrote:This may be the most snobbish thing I've ever read on these forums.


Now you are proving my point by overreacting again. :lol:
by Vanzetti
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1110:"Click and Drag"
Replies: 595
Views: 660605

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Way to overreact, people. This is a good comic, but declaring it the best thing ever? Seriously, do you think Randall is the first artist ever to paint a big picture with lots of small details? :roll: Come on, Subnormality does it routinely. You should increase the diversity of your art intake (i.e,...
by Vanzetti
Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Selecting desired genetic traits should be parent's choice
Replies: 52
Views: 10666

Re: Selecting desired genetic traits should be parent's choi

Qaanol wrote:
fifiste wrote:
Qaanol wrote:You need an argument that proves abortion is an exception to the general rule of non-discrimination.


The argument goes that fetus is not a person, so the idea of non-discrimination does not apply. Obviously, what is and isn't a person is a matter of consensus.
by Vanzetti
Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1037: "Umwelt"
Replies: 478
Views: 293809

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

In Israel I get the same hebrew comic no matter which browser...
by Vanzetti
Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New Sony Console scheduled for 2013
Replies: 30
Views: 4856

Re: New Sony Console scheduled for 2013

There is something I don't quite understand. Why must realistic games always cost so much? I mean, it's not like you have to draw everything from scratch with every new game you produce. if you made a model of a human being, with all the bones, textures, moves and gestures, its stays with you foreve...
by Vanzetti
Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IBM quantum computing
Replies: 35
Views: 5809

Re: IBM quantum computing

Biologist here. Protein folding, that's why. We want it to be easy. It is bloody hard. Yeah, but isn't that an example of a problem that might still be hard even with quantum computers, for all we know? Protein simulation is not my area of expertise, but I read in a several places that quantum comp...
by Vanzetti
Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: IBM quantum computing
Replies: 35
Views: 5809

Re: IBM quantum computing

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why people are so eager for quantum computers. It's not like they're dramatically faster in general, just that they are good at solving certain types of hard problems. And the hard problems that they are good at solving are mostly problems we want to be hard, not problems t...
by Vanzetti
Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: "Yoga is a Sex Cult" - NYT
Replies: 58
Views: 11523

Re: "Yoga is a Sex Cult" - NYT

Yoga is a sex cult? Where do I join???
by Vanzetti
Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Microsoft Antitrust suit killed thousands
Replies: 95
Views: 8799

Re: Microsoft Antitrust suit killed thousands

Oh God, just by eating breakfast today I probably killed like 10 people...

And now to drink tea. I like the taste of murder in the morning...
by Vanzetti
Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:36 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Microsoft Antitrust suit killed thousands
Replies: 95
Views: 8799

Re: Microsoft Antitrust suit killed thousands

Oh, I love consequentialism. You can use it to prove anything. For example, all those saved people in Africa are going to reproduce and make more kids. Who will then starve, all thanks to Gates foundation. :lol:
by Vanzetti
Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 506338

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

In all seriousness, not all genocides historically have been the result of Nazi-style mass-executions. It was not an explicit policy of the Europeans to round up and murder all of the Native Americans, for example, but rather the genocide was a side-effect of their aggressive pursuit of the land an...
by Vanzetti
Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 506338

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

A US B61 nuclear missile (which can be loaded on an F15) can have yield of up 340 kilotons. For reference the bomb dropped on Hiroshima had a 21 kilotons. Now while Israel may not have the exact equivalent to a B61 I imagine you could fit quite a few of their tactical nuclear weapons on a couple of...
by Vanzetti
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 506338

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

sourmìlk wrote:Yeah, I've always said that if the Israelis actually wanted to commit genocide against the Gazans, they'd send over precisely two fully-loaded F-16s and be done in two minutes.


Wait, how are you going to commit genocide with 2 F-16s? Even if you use WMD, it's just not enough...
by Vanzetti
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 506338

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

The point is that Israel's past and continuing actions show a clear pattern of racial and religious bigotry against the Palestinian people. Because of the US's unconditional support (and generous military aid), Israel has been able to carry out massive attacks against civilians. As long as the US c...
by Vanzetti
Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Duolingo
Replies: 32
Views: 12378

Re: Duolingo

I wonder how they will protect the system from malicious translations.
by Vanzetti
Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 506338

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

ut my understanding was that since the Palestine Papers got leaked, it became pretty clear that Palestine had been working towards real earnest negotiations and compromise while Israel was flatly refusing to be reasonable in this respect. Where do you pull your understanding from? If Palestinians w...
by Vanzetti
Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Representative Democracy and the voting criteria
Replies: 19
Views: 7769

Re: Representative Democracy and the voting criteria

++$_, you are assuming there is some objectively most important issue. :roll:
by Vanzetti
Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Legitimacy of Israeli Land Claims
Replies: 214
Views: 16070

Re: Legitimacy of Israeli Land Claims

Metaphysician wrote:EDIT: Also, as far as I know, the compulsory military service applies to the Arab population as well


No, compulsory military service doesn`t apply to Israeli Arabs. They can volunteer. Most don`t.

Go to advanced search