Search found 37 matches

by berk
Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Gender tickboxes on forms, more options than m/f?
Replies: 69
Views: 6874

Re: Gender tickboxes on forms, more options than m/f?

Jessica wrote:
berk wrote:You have a Y chromosome or you don't. Everything else is in your head.

Seeing as nature has provided us with a pretty simple "M/F" system, I see no reason why forms shouldn't follow nature's example just to humor people.
Uh. No. about everything you wrote.


Care to elaborate?
by berk
Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Gender tickboxes on forms, more options than m/f?
Replies: 69
Views: 6874

Re: Gender tickboxes on forms, more options than m/f?

You have a Y chromosome or you don't. Everything else is in your head. Seeing as nature has provided us with a pretty simple "M/F" system, I see no reason why forms shouldn't follow nature's example just to humor people. Speaking of humoring people, there are other reasons this is ridiculo...
by berk
Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:12 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Homosexuals in the military
Replies: 199
Views: 18152

Re: Homosexuals in the military

My opinion of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy is not a positive one. I don't think anybody can argue that it is discriminatory and unfair. However, I do not think it will change, and I don't think it should be forced (as the current administration plans to). I think it is likely that ho...
by berk
Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? (American)
Replies: 61
Views: 4369

Re: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? (American)

I follow college football, but USC (the real one, the one in South Carolina) didn't do so well this year. But I will watch them in the Outback Bowl. In professional news, GO PANTHERS!!! Oh no you didn't. ... Anyway, I only watch college football, usually USC (the real one, the one in Southern Calif...
by berk
Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

Image

So you say this thread keeps returning to me?
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Memes - do people know of them?
Replies: 169
Views: 14320

Re: Memes - do people know of them?

Ok, stop it. No unnecessary worshipping in my thread. I'm not going to do- ALL GLORY TO... Must... Resist... Seriously though, I kill the fucking Hypnotoad. With a crocodile, who doesn't care shit if it's really an alligator. There. Over and done with. I might get a crazy cult after me, though. In ...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: AI rebellion
Replies: 140
Views: 10625

Re: AI rebellion

In RE the "AI will be impossible to control because humans, the ultimate security, are imperfect", why not give it an impossible series of tasks to complete in order to escape? Such as break the laws of thermodynamics, or something, with no loopholes it can slip through. Or just make it so...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:35 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Mental experiments, How do/can people solve problems?
Replies: 25
Views: 2133

Re: Mental experiments, How do/can people solve problems?

After observing how one could solve problems, it made me think about how one usually does solve problems. For example, could video games in general be making people smarter if they play versions that are unique enough, or are the skills necessary to play games localized and therefore generally irre...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:29 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What can change the nature of a man?
Replies: 40
Views: 3436

Re: What can change the nature of a man?

z4lis wrote:Time! Every moment, I change slightly, my psyche and persona twerked every instant by even the subconscious experiences I have.


Haha, good answer!
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Publicity Stunts
Replies: 5
Views: 988

Re: Publicity Stunts

How about this one, by Chrysler: http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/17/autos/chrysler_shutdown/ Putting people out of work (when Chrysler has the money to pay them, for now) to generate sympathy for an auto bailout. Shameless. I hope it doesn't work. :P No "stunt" about it. The Big 3 automakers...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What can change the nature of a man?
Replies: 40
Views: 3436

Re: What can change the nature of a man?

Fat Tony wrote:
berk wrote:A woman can.

Funny. That's what mine said.


Your woman?
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:56 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

What if it's a shimmering silver blade? Sweeping through the fridgid moonlit air before cleaving the head off of three zombies and a werewolf at the same time? Plus you're eating bacon. Well as a whole that statement would be overflowing in manliness, given the context, but "shimmering silver&...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:05 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

Well, I think if we make it clear that loving a penis (rather than your penis) is the defining characteristic of manliness, it creates the flexibility we need in any unifying theory of penis equilibrium to account for homosexuality. I, for one, think that homosexuality is incredibly manly. All that...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:01 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Publicity Stunts
Replies: 5
Views: 988

Re: Publicity Stunts

How about this one, by Chrysler: http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/17/autos/chrysler_shutdown/ Putting people out of work (when Chrysler has the money to pay them, for now) to generate sympathy for an auto bailout. Shameless. I hope it doesn't work. :P Anyway, here is one I heard about a while ago from a...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:55 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

But I do want to point out that: PS: The personal insults really made your post that much more entertaining. Bravo for keeping it mature. At least I didn't devolve into insults with my "poorly" thought-out post marred by "grammatical and orthographical errors" and a "poor u...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

Come on now, snuggle-wuggums. In one sentence you maintain that a core tenant of atheism is that ' "believing" is illogical and crazy' ; now you're telling me that you're only talking about the 'hardcore atheists'? Make up your mind, my dearest sweetcheek mcgumdrops! "Core tenant&quo...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

@++$_ Honestly, I wish I had the patience you do. And the free time. I don't have the time to dig through 1,600 words filled with quote tags, but I read your post and have a response to (most of) the points you raised. A few points: -I highly doubt 70% of college students are devoutly religious. I a...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

In my original post I misunderstood what his subject was, not the subject itself. In addition, the terms get confusing, because "feminism" is generally associated with '60s- and 70s-style liberal feminism, yet is also associated with the movement as a whole (over the last 200 years). Not ...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What can change the nature of a man?
Replies: 40
Views: 3436

Re: What can change the nature of a man?

A woman can.
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:37 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

I am referring to frequent re-evaluation of your decision for the rest of your life. I say this because one of the most deeply held tenants of atheism is the assertion that "believing" is illogical and crazy. Thus, reconsidering your decision would make you a crazy person, by your own log...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:30 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

I mistook what he was saying, I guess that'd be more of a misperception than a misconception, but that was what I was getting at by quoting him. Oh, no! Not at all; I'm sorry for the lack of clarity back there. Let me try to make things a little more clear for you: Judging by your post, your unders...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

A few other things. Most of your claims are location dependent. For me, I see the opposite of you in pros/cons. Liberalism as the norm is not true here. I live in AZ. Being an atheist, or liberal, are actually harder here than being the standard republican christian. Same with generalizations. Peop...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:38 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Snow Art
Replies: 49
Views: 5287

Re: Snow Art

I haven't had a chance to make anything truly exciting in a while, but here are some old ones. The first one needs some explanation. Where I went to school, there was a old fence. There is a tradition to paint the fence to advertise an event, to post a message, or for any reason. There's a bunch of...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: end of semester party hors d'oeuvre idea
Replies: 2
Views: 654

Re: end of semester party hordourve idea

You can never go wrong with shrimp, when it comes to hor douvres. At least, that is my opinion. :P


PS: When I read that word, I pronounce it in my head "whore-doorvs".
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

zomg that-was-what-i-intended =P I guess you didn't see the part where I highlighted the word 'misconceptions'. Oh well. I mistook what he was saying, I guess that'd be more of a misperception than a misconception, but that was what I was getting at by quoting him. LET IT DIE Ultimate manly meal: h...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:14 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

Ah, feminists may eat as much bacon as they wish, but I've noticed that the bare mention of feminism tends to set things off for a huge discussion/debate/general raging about it, along with many misconceptions . zomg prophecy zomg irony zomg that-was-what-i-intended =P Ultimate manly meal: http://f...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:07 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

Anyway, I really am sorry for derailing the thread. I went into liberal-versus-conservative feminism because the post I responded to assumed that if you aren't liberal, you don't want equal rights for women, which is absurd. I don't know how you read that at all into what I said. Someone said that ...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3578706

Re: Rant Thread

Not everything is a phallic icon, people. I'm pretty sure that when Frank Herbert wrote Dune he didn't think "Oh, I know, lets have him ride worms because they look like a penis." No, he probably went "I need something that lives underground, and would look cool. Hmmm... not slugs. I...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:51 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

I don't know, I think attempting to promote gender equality is pretty manly. I disagree. Modern feminism is largely compressed man-hating. :P I put a joke post before, but actually - fuck you. Natraj said "gender equality", nothing to do with feminism. Which reveals your entire thinking -...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Who the dickens are you?
Replies: 10922
Views: 2416518

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Hi. Most of us try to stay witty and clever here. You'll find some rubbish stuff as well, but mostly it's good here. It's like the coffee shop beneath an University library. I've only ever been on one other large intelligent forum on the internet, and that's RPG.net. Which other ones did you know o...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:35 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

To clarify why most college students make the decision to be atheist: Pros of being an atheist: -Conforms to liberal political philosophy, which is also "the norm" and pressed upon you by your peers and superiors. -Easy to defend, especially when you are in a group. Two atheists actually d...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:19 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

In the context of a lot of Americans, it's not questioning your disbelief, it's questioning your belief that leads to your subsequent atheism. I cannot speak for the rest of the world, especially former Godless Communists. I understand this. But once people have crossed that bridge, I doubt they fr...
by berk
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt
Replies: 14355
Views: 1446936

Re: Boy Thread: All the good names were taken

I don't know, I think attempting to promote gender equality is pretty manly. I disagree. Modern feminism is largely compressed man-hating. :P Palin-type "feminism" is superior because it essentially values the women as an independent being who can do whatever she wants without any shame -...
by berk
Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Memes - do people know of them?
Replies: 169
Views: 14320

Re: Memes - do people know of them?

Lolcats:where do they come from? lolcats originated on /b/ (4chan). Then someone saw the potential for ...profit! and created the website http://www.icanhascheezburger.com, the new home of the lolcats. TL;DR (too long; didn't read) has made it to most of the places I frequent, and I think I caught ...
by berk
Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What's the average IQ of an atheist?
Replies: 157
Views: 22055

Re: What's the average IQ of an atheist?

I would not be surprised to see atheists score a few points higher on this test, but not because of intelligence. Simply because of demographics. People with higher IQs are more likely to go to college, and higher education is currently controlled by leftist atheists. Thus, more smart people are &qu...
by berk
Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Who the dickens are you?
Replies: 10922
Views: 2416518

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

o/

I'm a high school senior in Hawaii who happened to click on the "Forums" button while reading the XKCD comic... And discovered an intelligent forum on the internet. Go figure. I thought they were extinct.
by berk
Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:05 pm UTC
Forum: Books
Topic: Books that make you genuinely laugh
Replies: 107
Views: 18525

Re: Books that make you genuinely....

The P.G. Wodehouse books make me laugh, though I haven't explored his work outside of the Jeeves & Wooster books. The J&W mini-series is also great if you don't mind how British it is, if you have Netflix or something I recommend you get a DVD from one of the seasons. None of my friends find...

Go to advanced search