Search found 649 matches

by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Meditation
Replies: 5
Views: 906

Re: Meditation

I try every morning to wake up earlier than I normally would and contemplatively read the Bible. There is nothing else that I know of that gives me the strength to make it through the day in a way that I'm satisfied with. I'm tempted to attribute much or most of the positive effect I get out of it t...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: i'm "giving up _ for lent"
Replies: 31
Views: 3717

Re: i'm "giving up _ for lent"

"I'm giving up the forums for lent" - 1 hit
"I'm giving up the fora for lent" - 0 hits

I am actually doing one of these for Lent. Can you guess?
by MoghLiechty2
Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Has anything paranormal ever happened to you?
Replies: 67
Views: 10106

Re: Has anything paranormal ever happened to you?

And now I'm amused by this "marriage breaker", because I question its effectiveness. Like does it possess people, making them walk door to door, announcing themselves? If you're ever bored, pick up a copy of "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. It's a fictional (of course) acc...
by MoghLiechty2
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

I think Phill is right about the argument being a red herring. The problems you raise (and they are problems) are the same problems with or without there being opposing mythologies. I think it's better to focus on whether the reasons for believing mythologies at all are good ones rather than making ...
by MoghLiechty2
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:53 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

I'm not entirely sure that argument wouldn't apply to almost any type of belief system though. Certainly if I were born in the deep south, wouldn't I find myself more likely to be a young earth creationist? Does that mean that since I was born in a place where I got exposed to the science of the age...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Hopefully schools aren't teaching that evolution is true because 'that's what all the scientists believe' but instead are showing some of the evidence of evolution in action and how we can use this model predicatively to solve real world problems. Comparing the existence of Jesus to arguments for e...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:51 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

My main point was not to demonstrate conclusively that Jesus did not historically exist, but to demonstrate that belief in his existence is as much a matter of faith as a belief in god. Yes, but you'd be using a definition of faith that largely applies to most logical and evidential conclusions. To...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

This is where we get to the fun part. Why have so many religions, which were at one point widely regarded as The Truth, been relegated to the dustbin of history? What makes your religion so special? Why are the mythologies of Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc. more believable to their adh...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:38 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

I don't deny that the minority view exists, but it's still going to be the minority view. Zindler brings up almost all of the "normal" objections to interpreting the historical data as actually describing a real person, e.g. his assertion that many or all of the Josephus references were la...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:40 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

All I'm asking for is a reference to one historical piece of evidence that isn't a second hand account. I'm afraid you won't be able to find one, nor will you find a lot of scholars who think that such a fact is a serious objection to the idea of the historicity of Jesus. The study of history is in...
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:59 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Sorry if I missed it, but was any part of the argument for Jesus's existence in that article not an appeal to authority ? Actually, no. Appealing a logical fallacy in terms of constructing perfectly inductive reasoning yes (like you would a math problem), but as the wiki article states, it is an im...
by MoghLiechty2
Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Crying antisemitism: a time-honored libel on the rocks?
Replies: 40
Views: 5274

Re: Crying antisemitism: a time-honored libel on the rocks?

I argue that a racist action should be to a racist person what a lie is to a liar (where lies are what liars do even if one or two lies doesn't make you a liar). It's interesting to note that while the word for liar is different from the word lying, the word X-ist as a noun is a noun is the same as...
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:20 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

There is no solid historical evidence that the actual person ever existed... no eyewitness accounts of him were recorded during the time frame in which he is claimed to have lived, and the earliest documents which refer to him are only found decades after he allegedly died. In short, the best evide...
by MoghLiechty2
Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Once again, proving the weight of the argument isn't really my goal here. For a particular rendition of such an argument, the entirety of the linked article is relevant. Although I am a theist, I don't currently have a conclusive opinion on the particular subject of the mind-body problem, by which I...
by MoghLiechty2
Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Here's a question that might help us sort it out: Would it be too much to claim that the mind-body problem offers more intellectual support for the existence of God than it offers for, say, invisible unicorns? That does seem like too much to claim. How does the concept of a god help in any way to e...
by MoghLiechty2
Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:45 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

In the same way, many people do base their belief in God and certain relevant historical religious events in an empirical reality. You say that belief in God lacks scientific evidence, but you'll probably need to be more clear or careful than that. There are certainly more than one instance of scie...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Deconversion to atheism; an interesting journey
Replies: 14
Views: 3277

Re: Deconversion to atheism; an interesting journey

In fact, I believe the wrongest thing I could do at the moment is to cease to believe in him. That is, I believe such an action would lack warrant, without presuming that the same action would lack warrant for others, so I continue to do so while attempting to maintain a level head about the logica...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Deconversion to atheism; an interesting journey
Replies: 14
Views: 3277

Re: Deconversion to atheism; an interesting journey

This was an exceptionally well-put together little mini-series. For atheists, if they can watch it without seeing it simply as an absolute affirmation of their own biases, I suspect would be very useful as a reminder of how widespread people's reasons for belief are. For Christians and the like, if ...
by MoghLiechty2
Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

I don't have the desire to argue the semantics of axiom. But it is the term I feel most fits the concept I'm trying to get at. And I suppose I should of qualified evidence as scientific evidence. ...Are you arguing that a belief in God is rational? The semantics of the word "axiom" probab...
by MoghLiechty2
Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: The Official Running thread!
Replies: 444
Views: 176115

Re: The Official Running thread!

I've jogged once since the Chicago Marathon; it's been brutally cold and I'm woefully out of shape now. I'm running an 8k in March; I hope to get a couple long runs in, even if I have to join a gym for a month and use a treadmill. You did the Chicago Marathon? Out of curiosity, did you happen to co...
by MoghLiechty2
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Gerard Alexander: Why are liberals so condescending?
Replies: 97
Views: 8770

Re: Gerard Alexander: Why are liberals so condescending?

What interests me more than a discussion of liberal condescension / conservative stupidity is the idea of testing that divide in perceptions- it's clear that many liberals are condescending, but how would we know whether or not it's justified? A large roadblock to answering this question is the pro...
by MoghLiechty2
Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 593212

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Well hello again Zcorp! :) Feels just like old times. Well you just did. I certainly did and there is no evidence to support the large axioms (like god, miracles, heaven, hell in some sects, Virgin Birth, resurrection, Sin, 10 commandments etc). For many of the things you mention it's probably inacc...
by MoghLiechty2
Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:37 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shun God We Must
Replies: 112
Views: 13251

Re: Shun God We Must

And they certainly dont care what other people write. And another group of people who could learn something else from the Jews here. Man, what the fuck do you care? Meh. I don't really. If one has a valid objection to the choice of a motto to accurately describe a majority sentiment based on their ...
by MoghLiechty2
Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?
Replies: 93
Views: 8824

Re: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?

Even though my team lost, I suppose I can go to sleep safe knowing the Christians aren't coming to get me.
by MoghLiechty2
Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shun God We Must
Replies: 112
Views: 13251

Re: Shun God We Must

BlackSails wrote:Jewish law is for jews to follow.

I know a group of people who could learn something from the Jews here.

And they certainly dont care what other people write.

And another group of people who could learn something else from the Jews here.
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:12 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Tea Party Convention - implosion
Replies: 80
Views: 7596

Re: Tea Party Convention - implosion

The Reaper wrote:I'd read it.

Were it to exist it would carry the distinct danger of becoming my only news source.
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Tea Party Convention - implosion
Replies: 80
Views: 7596

Re: Tea Party Convention - implosion

Had you ever considered a career in opinion-editorials? ___ I had been one of a few I've ever talked to to actually attend one of the Tea Party protests. This was way back during the first round of them, when the sting of having what was viewed as an unacceptably progressive new president was still ...
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Palin spends $63,000 on her own book.
Replies: 20
Views: 1914

Re: Palin spends $63,000 on her own book.

Princess Marzipan wrote:If they're ONLY calling out politicians who are liberal for it, then yes, definitely.

Well I'm not sure, but that just might have been mmmcannibalism's point in criticizing the status quo of the fora.
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Palin spends $63,000 on her own book.
Replies: 20
Views: 1914

Re: Palin spends $63,000 on her own book.

Princess Marzipan wrote:So since she's only a little bit wrong, it's rude to call her on it?

The fuck?

I don't know, is it rude for conservative news outlets to call out liberal politicians as you criticized them earlier for?
by MoghLiechty2
Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?
Replies: 93
Views: 8824

Re: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?

And.... the relevant comic . Is it still being smugly superior if I really do just watch the ads? And yes, they are worth watching. In theory they're the best ads of the year. The original comic still packs a punch for me from all the annoying Indiana people who aren't Colts fan and are smugly supe...
by MoghLiechty2
Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: The "IT DOESN'T WORK!" thread
Replies: 1962
Views: 564494

Re: The "IT DOESN'T WORK!" thread

Ok, so I've been high and low all over the internet for an answer to this one. In JavaCC, if you have a TOKEN declaration in the grammar file, like say TOKEN: { <EXPRESSION: "KEYWORD " <ID>> } What is the best/simple way to make it so that the resulting Token object that you get from getNe...
by MoghLiechty2
Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?
Replies: 93
Views: 8824

Re: Anti-Abortion Super Bowl Ad?

And.... the relevant comic.
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Scanner and Parser Generators for C++
Replies: 5
Views: 1100

Re: Scanner and Parser Generators for C++

On the other hand, I'm sure some of the functional language folks will show up shortly to tell you that writing a parser is a great task for Lisp/Haskell/etc. And it probably is, but I haven't gotten around to learning any of them yet, so I'll leave that up to others... That's an option I hadn't th...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Scanner and Parser Generators for C++
Replies: 5
Views: 1100

Scanner and Parser Generators for C++

I'm beginning a project in which I need to scan and parse text files that contain source code that is very similar to C/C++, using C++. Essentially, I'll be inventing "my own language" but the idea is to make the syntax as close to C++ as possible. The result of compiling these source file...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Steve Jobs admits Macs crash. Amongst other things.
Replies: 32
Views: 4040

Re: Steve Jobs admits Macs crash. Amongst other things.

That's not entirely true. We can certainly blame Microsoft for Vista sucking, even though Vista itself wasn't the main problem. It was that they didn't give the third party developers enough time or support to write drivers that didn't erupt the entire tech world into a fit of Microsoft-bashing. Ala...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Apple launches iPad tablet
Replies: 323
Views: 25805

Re: Apple launches iPad tablet

gmalivuk wrote:Thus MoghLiechty2's point is valid.

Could you reiterate that, perhaps more along the lines of "Yeah, I'm with MoghLiechty2 on this one," then I can signature it and we can start our relationship on a long path toward vitriol and resentment?
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Apple launches iPad tablet
Replies: 323
Views: 25805

Re: Apple launches iPad tablet

There are indeed features that would make the iPad better, and it's good to criticize it for missing those features. But to dismiss it as "crap" or "useless" because it lacks features you want, or isn't a laptop, is stupid. These two quotes say essentially the same thing, but yo...
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Apple launches iPad tablet
Replies: 323
Views: 25805

Re: Apple launches iPad tablet

FFS Phil, nobody's trolling. What we have here are a bunch of people who have had more than a many rational discussion on far more important subjects, I think we'd know each other better than that.

(iTroll: It was never intended to provide rational arguments!)
by MoghLiechty2
Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Apple launches iPad tablet
Replies: 323
Views: 25805

Re: Apple launches iPad tablet

But complaining because it's not something it was never meant to be? Have you considered that the possibility that Apple not intending the iPad to do several stated useful things is itself grounds for criticism? There is a direct correlation between things a company intends and things it delivers o...
by MoghLiechty2
Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Apple launches iPad tablet
Replies: 323
Views: 25805

Re: Apple launches iPad tablet

Heisenberg wrote:So... a Tablet would be exactly what you want, with more functionality, and also cheaper. But it wouldn't have a picture of a fruit on it.

A fruit with a bite out of it, no less. Can anyone say, "original sin?"

Go to advanced search