Search found 125 matches

by Yat
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1982: "Evangelism"
Replies: 109
Views: 16050

Re: 1982: "Evangelism"

fibonacci wrote:If you point a telescope out to the right off the edge of the chart, on a clear night you can spot "Vegans".
"Oh, Hey, I didn't see you guys all the way over there" should have been the punchline.
https://xkcd.com/435/
by Yat
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler
Replies: 16
Views: 5353

Re: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler

Cradarc wrote:The only exception is if you put in additional limitations to what the villagers can do which are not stated in the problem.
Well, the villagers are supposed to have the power to selectively erase information from their own memory on command. Forget about limitations not stated in the problem.
by Yat
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler
Replies: 16
Views: 5353

Re: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler

I have something that is not very satisfying because it implies that the villagers are very gullible, but it doesn't require magically or hypnotically removing information they already have. Just updating it in a way you control, so that every time they change their mind, they actually have more inf...
by Yat
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler
Replies: 16
Views: 5353

Re: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler

Actually that is a completely valid command to give. You can ask the villagers to forget and remember any bits of information on a whim so long as it's in the form of command and follows in accordance with the three rules set for them I have a real problem with this. Forgetting something on command...
by Yat
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler
Replies: 16
Views: 5353

Re: The Goddess, the Villagers, and the Traveler

There's something that I don't get here. Please consider this first theoretical situation: The goddess actually is just a phantom flying around the village. She is not specifically linked to any of the villagers. The villagers think that she is walking among them, but they're wrong. apart from that,...
by Yat
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Could there still be new hat puzzles?
Replies: 12
Views: 6533

Re: Could there still be new hat puzzles?

Well, I was right - there is a much more elegant maximal strategy. You don't even need to divide it up into cases to use the strategy (though checking it will divide into cases)! Check the players that are first, second, and fourth from your left. Guess whichever color hat is worn by an even number...
by Yat
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Could there still be new hat puzzles?
Replies: 12
Views: 6533

Re: Could there still be new hat puzzles?

Proof of a theoretical maximum, assuming a deterministic strategy: EDIT: Actually, I don't even think we need to assume a deterministic strategy. I'll edit my argument in. There are 128 configurations of hats. Each player, in any given deterministic strategy, will be right in 64 cases and wrong in ...
by Yat
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:03 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Could there still be new hat puzzles?
Replies: 12
Views: 6533

Re: Could there still be new hat puzzles?

An absurd strategy where the prime-numbered players (2,3,5,7) pick the minority color and the other players pick the majority color As I said in the OP, "They can devise a strategy, but it can't be nominative. The player's can't take into account their own identity, the whole strategy has to b...
by Yat
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:05 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Could there still be new hat puzzles?
Replies: 12
Views: 6533

Re: Could there still be new hat puzzles?

HonoreDB wrote:This fails for one of the two most common splits, and doesn't use relative positions, so it's probably not optimal.
It is a good start, but you are right, it is possible to get less than half this error rate.
by Yat
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Could there still be new hat puzzles?
Replies: 12
Views: 6533

Could there still be new hat puzzles?

Here's a hat puzzle inspired by this one . Seven perfectly rational players stand in a circle. Everyone gets assigned, randomly and independently, a black hat or a white hat. Nobody can see the color of his own hat but the colors of all other players. All the players must try to guess the color of t...
by Yat
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Another hat puzzle
Replies: 9
Views: 3646

Re: Another hat puzzle

I don't have a formal proof that this will work for any n>2, but it worked smoothly for the values I tried, and it seems that increasing n just gives more margin of error when you build the strategy. Here it is: First, I have to determine in advance the lower bound of the number of correct guesses. ...
by Yat
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: 538 hats riddle
Replies: 20
Views: 4516

Re: 538 hats riddle

It may be possible to do better with two rules than SirGabriel has with one, but your posted win rate is less than his. To keep the thread alive, I think it is relevant to confirm that it is indeed possible to do better than SirGabriel, under the assumptions pointed out by jaap. For any number of p...
by Yat
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:12 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two secrets
Replies: 20
Views: 7647

Re: Two secrets

I think I have an O(log(N)) solution. Let A initially be {1, 2, 3, ..., N-1}. At all times, we know that at least one of the numbers is in A. Divide A into three roughly equal sets A 1 , A 2 , and A 3 , and ask about A 1 ∪ A 2 , A 1 ∪ A 3 , and A 2 ∪ A 3 . If we get a "yes" response to on...
by Yat
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two secrets
Replies: 20
Views: 7647

Re: Two secrets

Ok, I took a chance to work on my solution again, even if now it is just a correction of Nitrodon's solution, but here is where I landed: Let the initial state be state I, where we have one set containing both numbers. We cut the set in n parts and test every pair of parts. If there is only one yes,...
by Yat
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two secrets
Replies: 20
Views: 7647

Re: Two secrets

I think I have an O(log(N)) solution. Let A initially be {1, 2, 3, ..., N-1}. At all times, we know that at least one of the numbers is in A. Divide A into three roughly equal sets A 1 , A 2 , and A 3 , and ask about A 1 ∪ A 2 , A 1 ∪ A 3 , and A 2 ∪ A 3 . If we get a "yes" response to on...
by Yat
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two secrets
Replies: 20
Views: 7647

Re: Two secrets

So we just have to show that for any distinct a, b, c and d we can find g, h, i, j and T with a and b but neither c nor d in S(g,h,i,j,T). Let g be the position of any digit where a and c differ, h the position of a digit where a and d differ, i the position of a digit where b and c differ ...
by Yat
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Two secrets
Replies: 20
Views: 7647

Re: Two secrets

So we just have to show that for any distinct a, b, c and d we can find g, h, i, j and T with a and b but neither c nor d in S(g,h,i,j,T). Let g be the position of any digit where a and c differ, h the position of a digit where a and d differ, i the position of a digit where b and c differ ...
by Yat
Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: New puzzle : Equalize
Replies: 13
Views: 5066

Re: New puzzle : Equalize

a solution is impossible for the following example "random" starting position: r r bb bb r r rrrr rbbr rbbr rbbr gives 1 1 1 1 1 -2 -2 1 -1 2 2 -1 -1 1 1 -1 with the original system, and 2 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 2 5 5 2 1 3 3 1 with yours. In the first case, both sums are 2, in the second case bot...
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:28 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

Re: the halting problem

Change your definition of x to this. x takes just one input, and: x(p) internally uses h and works this way: -if program p halts with input p, loop forever -if program p does not halt with input p, return 1 Now x(x) halts if and only if x(x) does not halt. There is an important point here: this is ...
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:55 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

Re: the halting problem

It sounds like you're not familiar with quines , which are programs that can print their own source code. Well, I actually am, wrote one years ago in C, discovered recently that it was possible with compressed files too. The very last part is the one that really blew my mind. I mean, the fact that ...
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:43 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

Re: the halting problem

I'm not sure where you got this proof from, but the explanation on Wikipedia seems pretty clear to me (and different from yours). Well, from various places, including the wikipedia article. Can you tell me how it is different from mine ? Wikipedia's h is the same as my h, my x(i,i) would be wikiped...
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:24 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

Re: the halting problem

For example, you could be passing x as a string (the source code), and x-as-a-program runs some checks on the string to decide whether it halts or not. Ok, but with what inputs? By definition, x halts or not depending on its input. Here, x is supposed to decide wether x halts or not. But with which...
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:06 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

Re: the halting problem

That is a function that does not use its input. What does it have to do with my question?
by Yat
Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: the halting problem
Replies: 16
Views: 7027

the halting problem

Hello I apologize in advance for how trivial this may seem for anyone that truly understands the halting problem and/or if this question has already been answered here, but my searches were not conclusive. There is something I don't get in the halting problem, and none of the explanations I've read ...
by Yat
Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:22 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Simple math word puzzle
Replies: 9
Views: 2616

Re: Simple math word puzzle

I would prefer from any student to see the full solution. 1. y=x+20 2. xy=wz+d 3. z=w+26 4. x+y=w+z Putting 1 into 4 4a. 2x+20 = w+z Putting 3 into 4a 4b. 2x+20=2w+26 ---------- -26 4c. 2x-6=2w --------------- /2 5. x-3=w Putting 1 into 2 2a. x(x+20)=wz+d Putting 3 into 2a 2b. x(x+20...
by Yat
Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:49 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Simple math word puzzle
Replies: 9
Views: 2616

Re: Simple math word puzzle

Here's my method:

Spoiler:
The two pairs of integers have the same sum, so they have the same arithmetic mean, x.
The first two numbers are x-10 and x+10, the two other are x-13 and x+13.
The first product is x²-100, the second one is x²-169.
The difference between the products is 69.
by Yat
Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Six statements. How many are true?
Replies: 20
Views: 6617

Re: Six statements. How many are true?

Of course I solved tis with the classic method, but considering how some of the statements were designed, I wanted to try something else. I consider the nature of a statement depends only on how this statement matches reality, and not on what other statements say about it. For example "This sta...
by Yat
Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Create a perfect lossless compression algorithm
Replies: 21
Views: 4888

Re: Create a perfect lossless compression algorithm

Does Alice have a way of telling Bob the transfer is over, or do we need to establish a protocl which allows Bob to know when he has read the last bit, and stop expecting new information from Alice ? If Bob can know when the transfer is over wothout having to figuring it out with the data, then we c...
by Yat
Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:26 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle
Replies: 7
Views: 2515

Re: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle

Thank you for proving me that this can be solved with a non computer-enhanced brain! :wink:
by Yat
Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:07 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle
Replies: 7
Views: 2515

Re: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle

Snark: I think we're supposed to specify all three trials in advance, before we have the results of any of them. Here's my solution, retaining your labeling of the coins as ABCDEFG: Test ABC vs. DEF, AD vs. BE, and AF vs. CD. ABC < DEF, AD < BE, AF < CD: AG are fake ABC < DEF, AD < BE, AF = CD: AC ...
by Yat
Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle
Replies: 7
Views: 2515

Re: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle

you need to tell the weights beforehand. Just checking for clarification of this point. Does it mean that you know what weights both types of coins are before you start weighing them (eg: you know the real coins are (say) 30g and the fake ones are (say) 29 grams)? Or does it mean something else? I'...
by Yat
Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:53 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: (Hopefully) new balance puzzle
Replies: 7
Views: 2515

(Hopefully) new balance puzzle

I have never seen this variation of the classic balance puzzles before, so I tried to solve it and found the solution. I am not going to tell a story around this because it is a classic type of problem, the deal is that you have 7 coins, but 2 of these coins are slighly lighter than the other 5. Of ...
by Yat
Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Another gambling game
Replies: 17
Views: 4088

Re: Another gambling game

Even given superrationality, I disagree with the superrational solutions posted so far... Say every one of the million people chooses to play with probability p. Then we would, between them all, expect a total of 10 8 p dollars be paid in entry fees, and a total of 10 6 (1 - (1-p) 10000...
by Yat
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Another gambling game
Replies: 17
Views: 4088

Re: Another gambling game

I totally forgot about mixed strategies: if the perfectly logical strategy is to play with a probability p, then there are 1,000,000p players to split the $1,000,000, so the gain is 1/p-100. As this happens with probability p, that makes p(1/p-100), that is 1-100p. That means that if p is be...
by Yat
Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:40 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Another gambling game
Replies: 17
Views: 4088

Re: Another gambling game

If all other players are perfect logicians, then they will all come to the same conclusion : "Either I play and everybody plays, and we all lose $99, or I don't play, and nobody plays, and we are all even. I don't play." Now, I am not a perfect logician, I am just human, so my reas...
by Yat
Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Rubik's Cube false solution
Replies: 11
Views: 5006

Re: Rubik's Cube false solution

Tirian wrote:
Spoiler:
when you solve English peg solitaire down to the point that you have two adjacent pegs, it is literally impossible for them to not be able to jump to the center.
What ?
Do you have an example on how to do that from a situation which is not one of the 4 obvious ones pointing directly to the center ?
by Yat
Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:10 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Imposter Puzzle
Replies: 69
Views: 18743

Re: Imposter Puzzle

Two solutions which came to my mind: 1) Use an asymmetric encryption method. Each member i has a public key A_i which is known by all, and a private key B_i only known to them. In a meeting of 2 persons, both exchange their number i. Both generate a random string, encypt it with the public key ...
by Yat
Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Cutting an unfolded cube from a square of paper.
Replies: 20
Views: 7595

Re: Cutting an unfolded cube from a square of paper.

tomtom2357 wrote:Okay. what is the highest percentage of the rectangle you can use, I have 2/3 so far.

I get 3/4 : draw crosses (connecting opposite corners) on two opposite faces, cut along the lines, then cut one of the edges linking those two faces. Other cuttings of the opposite faces get the same result.
by Yat
Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Numbering the insides of a Rubiks Cube uniquely
Replies: 23
Views: 5076

Re: Numbering the insides of a Rubiks Cube uniquely

WarDaft wrote:Consider:

Code: Select all

  X1 1X3 3X
  2   2   2

  2   2   2
  X1 1X3 3X
  4   4   4

  4   4   4
  X1 1X3 3X


Does this not satisfy your placing criteria?


Using the same pieces, you could also get this :

Code: Select all

  X1 1X3 3X
  2   2   4

  2   2   4
  X1 1X3 3X
  4   4   2

  4   4   2
  X1 1X3 3X
by Yat
Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:02 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Volumetrically Maximized A4 Cylinder
Replies: 8
Views: 5229

Re: Volumetrically Maximized A4 Cylinder

My attempt was based on what felt like the most obvious solution, assuming the discs were not required to be each on one side of the rectangle. It consists of one vertical rectangle 29.7cm long, this detemines the radius of the discs, both discs are put on the same side of the rectangle, thus determ...

Go to advanced search