Search found 101 matches

by Marrow
Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0163: "Donald Knuth"
Replies: 36
Views: 22214

"there 1 type of person in the world. 1) those who start their arrays with index 1; 1) those who star their arrays with index 0" i may have misquoted that, but i'm sure you get the general idea... I am suddenly perpetually currious if it should be "there is one type", or "t...
by Marrow
Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: infinitely small triangle
Replies: 12
Views: 8784

Shoofle wrote:Technically, there is no smallest triangle. The limit of the smallest triangle's size as you continue doing the algorithm is infinitesimal or 0.


... You had to go and use the word technical(ly). I should have said the most smallest triangle then.
by Marrow
Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:55 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

I understand it, I know why it is said to be true. Unlike Kira's math class though, I just don't like it. Its just like the time when the teacher showed us a method for understanding how to multiply by nine, and when I thought of another way and wanted to share it she said it would just confuse peop...
by Marrow
Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: infinitely small triangle
Replies: 12
Views: 8784

Infinitesimal. Not math, buts its english for what the smallest triangle is. I think it would work with other shapes, though not quite the same. For a square it would just alternate between square and diamond shapes with each corner at the center of the previous size. For circles they are concentric...
by Marrow
Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

I wasn't ignoring the ... I was just being lazy when I put my last message up.

I am going to just have to chalk this one up to math being taught to going from right to left instead of the reverse.
by Marrow
Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:48 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

Sorry, there is no covincing by saying something the same way repeatedly. Would this also mean that 0.666... and 0.667 are equal by the same reasoning. No. Very to the point. Yes, if its that difinitive then there is no point in saying anything about 1.000-.333 being .667 and .999-.333 being .666. ...
by Marrow
Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0161: "Accident"
Replies: 34
Views: 18815

Yes, we have seen the effect, but what about the how, we can't just use CG for the whole thing, can we?
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

wisnij wrote:
Marrow wrote:Sorry, there is no covincing by saying something the same way repeatedly. Would this also mean that 0.666... and 0.667 are equal by the same reasoning.

No.


Yep, I quit.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 11929

When I did that I also added one for Tuesday and Friday as there are a few out there that update twice a week, most are on different days, but generally those two will catch all of them. Yes, you could just put them in MWF as well and know that one day they won't be updated. I also make one for ones...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:54 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

Sorry, there is no covincing by saying something the same way repeatedly. Would this also mean that 0.666... and 0.667 are equal by the same reasoning.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

Oh, I snapped long before I started up on this forum. There are just so very many bits of one's psychy that can snap, some of which are reprable, or reparable, or repairable, whichever you decide to chose. I am just not currently silly enough to avoid taking this too seriously.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0148: "Mispronouncing"
Replies: 42
Views: 19788

I just use comfy anyway.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:20 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

If you have been reading any of my posts in the last hour you may have already won the realization that I have snapped for the night, also I may be tired as I should have gone to bed a bit ago.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:17 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Obscene word games (f*cking jacket, ass-car)
Replies: 131
Views: 44359

Nah, I just see ass whole as a mispelling, because it sounds exactly the same. (If anything its more difficult, increasing its assinine qualities.)
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:13 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: New to the Site
Replies: 23
Views: 8835

Rotate it 180 and see what it says then.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:12 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

Factitious wrote:Right.


Stop taking my quotes out of context. Yeah, because the text mentions cm 4 times and no other unit of measure, thats all.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0155: "Search History"
Replies: 87
Views: 26099

The only book on tape I own is Starship Titanic, I have not owned a tape player in well over 14 years it would seem. I have only listened to it once when I borrowed a friends boombox (they were still called that when they could play tapes, I don't actually use that word). I should just buy the book ...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0154: "Beliefs"
Replies: 149
Views: 57137

I had always thought that it was "Its not rational to believe the universe is."
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:01 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

because of the "..." rounding, cutting off, either way you are not fully representing t... you know what fine, I could argue this forever, look 1/3, or any repeating decimal continues forever unless you trucate it, round it, or otherwise denote its infinite length. Its just like those comm...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Obscene word games (f*cking jacket, ass-car)
Replies: 131
Views: 44359

Oh yes, I prefer to call people whole asses instead of ass holes.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:45 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

I don't mind being proven right, if I did I wouldn't learn anything and would just be wrong more often. I can't think of a good example but it doesn't seem like you can switch so easily between the edge and volume measurements and expect both to be accurate. It comes down to what the machine bases ...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:43 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

I don't mind being proven right, if I did I wouldn't learn anything and would just be wrong more often. I can't think of a good example but it doesn't seem like you can switch so easily between the edge and volume measurements and expect both to be accurate. It comes down to what the machine bases ...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

Heirtopendragon wrote:There are so many easier ways to explain this.

Code: Select all

1/3 = .333...
x 3    x 3
3/3 = .999...
1 = .999...


Its still rounding anway you look at it

.333+.666=.999
.333+.667=1.000
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:14 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

Also you should need the same number of digits used. if the 9's continue infinitely you need to use the same number of infinite 9's for x and 10x So even if you cut x off at a predetermined number of decimals you are actually going to end up with 8.9991. If you used went to the ten thousanths place...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:02 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

Its my understanding though that the machine "produces the cubes of side-length between 0cm and 10cm" I'm not sure how you are going to base your average on a 100cc step system when it is producing them based on their side-length. Its true that they are both measured using cm but one is cm...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 am UTC
Forum: News
Topic: Shirts
Replies: 51
Views: 78714

As long as the shirts are not torn as well you can't lose.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:35 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0162: "Angular Momentum"
Replies: 103
Views: 59087

Anyway you put it, at least she is getting some excercize, who needs sleep anyway.
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:33 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Long Links and Forum Etiquette: the Hidden Story
Replies: 29
Views: 11395

That seems reasonable now, but a few years down the road, we'll be regretting trusting third-party URL redirection. This is exactly how the Y2K bug started. ...No. The Y2K bug started because of the short sightedness of programmers who used a DDMMYY format instead of DDMMYYYY. Yeah, and we all saw ...
by Marrow
Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: I have found today an amazing site...
Replies: 4
Views: 3067

I also imply to agree with myself too as well.
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:11 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

Random is incalculable without knowing what the random resuslts already are. Of course if the results are already known there isn't much reason on betting on them. The number of cubes made would affect the chances of winning without affecting the odds though. if only two cubes were made the odds of ...
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

Also you should need the same number of digits used. if the 9's continue infinitely you need to use the same number of infinite 9's for x and 10x So even if you cut x off at a predetermined number of decimals you are actually going to end up with 8.9991. If you used went to the ten thousanths place...
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0162: "Angular Momentum"
Replies: 103
Views: 59087

If she throws up then it wasn't meant to be.
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:22 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

The odds would be better with the volume because 500 ccm is well above the average volume aka a cube 5x5x5. All we know about the cubes is that their volume is somewhere in the range (0, 1000). What about that setup makes you think the volume is more likely to be below 500 than above it? While the ...
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:14 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

its just like infinity divided by anything is 0 I don't understand, and more significantly I doubt what you say. Perhaps you mean anything divided by infinity is zero? In any case, infinity is not a number and these statements are meaningless. You should use limit notation. Yes, I always confuse wh...
by Marrow
Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A very interesting Mathematical Paradox
Replies: 387
Views: 156773

its just like infinity divided by anything is 0 Also you should need the same number of digits used. if the 9's continue infinitely you need to use the same number of infinite 9's for x and 10x So even if you cut x off at a predetermined number of decimals you are actually going to end up with 8.999...
by Marrow
Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:21 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Cube Factory, and a Variant
Replies: 28
Views: 12235

The odds would be better with the volume because 500 ccm is well above the average volume aka a cube 5x5x5. If it were to produce boxes where each side could vary between 0 and 10 that would make for a different table of possible volumes. Off the top of my head using no logs (since I barely know wha...
by Marrow
Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:52 pm UTC
Forum: Food
Topic: Geek food ideas!
Replies: 47
Views: 18021

Some people enjoy caffiene type energy stuff, I've never had a redbull but Monster are good tasting, though I don't really notice anything like caffiene sugar or energy drinks having any real effect for me. Yes with vodka too.
by Marrow
Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0161: "Accident"
Replies: 34
Views: 18815

This comic wins the universe. And your petty sciences won't create a katamari, you need something more. More divine. More omnipotent. Funk. Yes, but if we use divinity to create a Katamari its just bam and it is there. Besides that sort of divine power is not in my paradigm. So I've been thinking a...
by Marrow
Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0161: "Accident"
Replies: 34
Views: 18815

If you ask me, the mail box deserved it. Though the stickiness only works if you are rolling the car along. For maximum effectiveness you would have to have some sort of gravitational phenomena, whatever you want to actually call it black hole or whatever. The problem with magnets is of course that ...
by Marrow
Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Not far ago
Replies: 5
Views: 3086

Oh, take the easy answer.

Go to advanced search