Search found 852 matches

by PeterCai
Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: NK - nuclear questions
Replies: 79
Views: 17383

Re: NK - nuclear questions

Fire Brns wrote:genocide.

huh?
by PeterCai
Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Italian seismologists sentenced to 6 years for earth quakes
Replies: 42
Views: 4877

Italian seismologists sentenced to 6 years for earth quakes

link
Spoiler:
Seven scientists and experts on trial for manslaughter linked to an earthquake in Italy that killed more than 300 people have been convicted and sentenced to six years in prison, a court has ruled.
by PeterCai
Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: China is reforming problematic labor camp system
Replies: 0
Views: 1650

China is reforming problematic labor camp system

http://news.yahoo.com/china-reforming-problematic-labor-camp-system-042245079.html BEIJING (AP) — A judicial official says China recognizes its system of re-educating people through manual labor is problematic and the government is working on reforms. Others have called for the abolishment o...
by PeterCai
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

The costs of conquering these islands is so completely disproportionate to their strategic value that I'm pretty confident this is just the PRC appealing to domestic nationalism. I can't imagine they're seriously considering using military force here (because it WOULD set off World War 3, no questi...
by PeterCai
Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

Iulus Cofield wrote: Maybe a hundred years of control is a kind of weak claim to territory, but I think 80 years of undisputed control is pretty strong.

It's not 80 years of undisputed control, America controlled it from 1945-1971
by PeterCai
Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

A traditional war between China and US will never happen, because nuke.
by PeterCai
Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

Then again, they didn't do much to temper anti-Japanese feelings either. I am for example always amazed by the number of war movies on Chinese TV. You pick up a remote at some random time, zap around, and as often as not you'll find some communists-vs-japanese historic drama. Though I guess there's...
by PeterCai
Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

@ peter, the protests don't look organized, but they look remarkably tolerated. Not much police in many videos, the police you see is very passive, the people don't look particularly worried about the police. That's not universal, I have seen videos with serious numbers of riot police as well, but ...
by PeterCai
Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

I like the little Taiwan seat in the corner. :roll: I'd like to clear up the misunderstanding that Chinese government somehow intentionally stirred up the nationalist sentiments in China, and directly caused the riots. They did not. Nationalism, especially the kind that stems from frustration over ...
by PeterCai
Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

they've controlled for over a hundred years [citation needed] From the original article... However, Mr. Noda gave no indication he was considering Chinese demands that Japan abandon its purchase of the disputed islands. Tokyo does not recognize any dispute over the ownership of the islands, which h...
by PeterCai
Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:18 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islands
Replies: 97
Views: 18677

Re: Japan, China, on collision course over uninhabited islan

they've controlled for over a hundred years Wrong, Japan erected the marker in 1950, and U.S controlled the island from 1945-1972, the islands were of no significance, and nobody controlled it before WWII. In any case, this is a stupid argument that a lot of people make in a lot of territorial disp...
by PeterCai
Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter
Replies: 80
Views: 11026

Re: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter

I dunno. Why are current and past judgements of the SCOTUS and the US government in any way related to the issues at hand? So far, its between the UK, Sweeden, and Ecuador. :roll: Because the issue is whether or not Assange will receive a fair trial? For a non-troll answer: It sounds like you're tr...
by PeterCai
Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter
Replies: 80
Views: 11026

Re: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter

KnightExemplar wrote:Assange (and Wikileaks) are hardly the paragon of open and free leaks.

Why is the competence of Assange and Wikileaks in any way related to the issues at hand?
by PeterCai
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter
Replies: 80
Views: 11026

Re: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter

wow, the pure unadulterated american butthurt in this thread is disconcerting. The same SCOTUS that set Daniel Ellsberg free. I'm open to you showing me any court that does it better when taken in total. If you believe that Assange is a paragon of virtue, or that he doesn't or hasn't had his own axe...
by PeterCai
Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter
Replies: 80
Views: 11026

Re: Assange Gets Asylum, UK says it doesn't matter

Really? The main reason Ecuador is granting him asylum is concern for his human rights? The government of Ecuador gives 0 fucks about human rights and fair trials. Back this claim up with evidences While the US does a lot of fucked up things, I think it's pretty easy to say that we're better than a...
by PeterCai
Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: London Olympics 2012
Replies: 265
Views: 32360

Re: London Olympics 2012

Me watching the footage is what makes it seem ridiculous. Their legs just sort of wobble in the air as they're deciding which one to land on. I can see wanting to jump really high, and wanting to jump really far, but can't see why the hop, skip and jump would be any good at all? Why not just have w...
by PeterCai
Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: London Olympics 2012
Replies: 265
Views: 32360

Re: London Olympics 2012

Yes, I know. However, it's still ridiculous. Why would anyone ever need to jump with such weird restrictions on what they're legs are doing? Just because it's old doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it ridiculous. I and my classmates did a lot of t...
by PeterCai
Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: London Olympics 2012
Replies: 265
Views: 32360

Re: London Olympics 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18906623 China cruised to gold, with GB second, as the medal prospects of the United States and Germany disintegrated. Japan, initially placed in fourth, moved up to second after an appeal. and this is what the netizens of GB has to say about this: http://imgur....
by PeterCai
Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: London Olympics 2012
Replies: 265
Views: 32360

Re: London Olympics 2012

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/03/britains-olympic-gold-medal-winning-cyclist-says-he-crashed-on-purpose/ In Thursday’s qualifying session, Britain’s first man Philip Hindes crashed after a quarter of a lap in the match against Germany, prompting a re-start with the home team going on to win...
by PeterCai
Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:06 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Greek Triple-Jumper Barred for Twitter Joke
Replies: 58
Views: 5278

Re: Greek Triple-Jumper Barred for Twitter Joke

IOC is not a nation or a political organization, it alone decides whether to ban someone from the game, and it doesn't have an obligation to protect your freedom of speech.
by PeterCai
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act
Replies: 429
Views: 62384

Re: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act

ManaUser wrote:So within this framework, they could just say, new tax rate... 100%. But if you buy a refrigerator you'll only have to pay the old rate.

if you can gather enough support for it in all of the 3 branches, then yes.

PS: I can't believe people are falling for steroid's obvious trolling
by PeterCai
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act
Replies: 429
Views: 62384

Re: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act

ManaUser wrote:So basically they've ruled that the government can for any reason, or no reason, force the American people to buy a commercial product. First Citizens United and now this. CEOs must be dancing in the streets.

....
but that's exactly what they didn't do
by PeterCai
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act
Replies: 429
Views: 62384

Re: Supreme court debate Affodable Care Act

Fucking liberals man...one of these days
by PeterCai
Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 51094

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

If smoking is a bad habit, isn't not smoking also a bad habit?
by PeterCai
Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Wikipedia bans Scientology from editing
Replies: 15
Views: 4472

Re: Wikipedia bans Scientology from editing

So that you don't have to guess what happened, here's the Requests for arbitration that resulted in the ban. Google, it works!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... cientology
edit: apparently clicking on the link provided by the article also works.
by PeterCai
Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:46 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Sabre-rattling for space war
Replies: 35
Views: 4881

Re: Sabre-rattling for space war

the problem is that the people on the whole have absolutely no control over the government and have in essence become addicted to the growth the communist party provides The government didn't create growth, the Chinese people did. The party just allowed for the growth to happen. (which i firmly bel...
by PeterCai
Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life
Replies: 151
Views: 17019

Re: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life

But again, this is only because we feel like the person driving the car which hits another person should be punished. Look at it this way: 100 people are driving on the same road, all going over the speed limit. They are all committing the same crime. One of those people hits someone. What action h...
by PeterCai
Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Obama invokes Exec. Privilege on Fast and Furious documents
Replies: 39
Views: 6103

Re: Obama invokes Exec. Privilege on Fast and Furious docume

Boehner has a good point here. Either (A) the President was involved and Holder has been lying, or (B) the President hasn't been involved, which means he's abusing Executive Privilege to protect his underlings from embarrassment. Or you know, to protect important information so that the executive b...
by PeterCai
Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Dude, calm down. It's just an internet debate. No need to burst an artery over it.
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

leady wrote:assuming reasonable source - looks like they are toning it down these days...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_tran ... c_of_China

thanks
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

leady wrote:There is one state that effectively does do state sponsored organ harvesting - China

evidence please
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Come on, it's not that difficult as concept. A natural right is a moral principle formulated as a right. As contrasted to a legal right, which is a law formulated as a right. So suppose you think it's bad that people kill other people, no matter what the local law says. Then you can also formulate ...
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Ormurinn wrote:Because we'll just go round in circles. If you don't think people have any rights save those granted to them by the state then we'll forever disagree.

I am just asking for a definition.
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life
Replies: 151
Views: 17019

Re: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life

Miller told the jurors Khankhanian is guilty of murder whether he intended to kill the girl or not. ...................what? Miller showed a powerpoint slide with the word "manipulation" in all caps while she played the recording. what the fuck...what the actual fuck...... "The defen...
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Ormurinn, i think if he wanted wiki articles he would've done so himself. I think he is familiar with the theory, try giving him supporting data and stuff.
Anyway, why does every libertarian I ever met feel the need to ignore me when i asked for a definition on natural right?
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:52 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: A small, specific question about libertarianism
Replies: 667
Views: 60762

Re: A small, specific question about libertarianism

Ormurinn wrote:Natural Right

Define this.
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life
Replies: 151
Views: 17019

Re: Driver who killed girl in accident gets 15 years to life

Sorry to cause such a ruckus, I just intended that to be a demonstration of why the depraved heart murder clause is a joke right now. There are plenty of examples from the supposedly "civilized" states btw, if anyone is interested.
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: China sends her first female astronaut to SPACE
Replies: 97
Views: 8537

Re: China sends her first female astronaut to SPACE

Can we stop celebrating the first woman to do this or that? It is becoming tiring and is a meaningless way for the human race to pat itself on the back for not being QUITE as male-centric as it used to be. Ladies, what the fuck are any of you complaining about? China sent one of you to SPACE, clear...
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: China sends her first female astronaut to SPACE
Replies: 97
Views: 8537

Re: China sends her first female astronaut to SPACE

Djehutynakht wrote:MILITARIZE SPACE! MURIKA FUCK YEAH

Really? And people say China is a threat to world peace?
by PeterCai
Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia
Replies: 57
Views: 9985

Re: 'stranger than fiction' Orwellian laws in Australia

Derek wrote:The site isn't about the carbon tax, it's about "carbon price claims":

Oh ok, my bad OP. Now I sort of see your point

Go to advanced search