Search found 16 matches

by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: I absolutely was happy when Bill Maher got canned for his 9/11 comments but it wasn't right and shouldn't have been done. So... there's nothing anyone can say that should get them fired from any job whatsoever? Because that pretty much seems to be what you're saying, absurd tho...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: There are boycotts against companies who do business with Israel. Those boycotters tend to have valid points of their own, and I see nothing wrong with their choice to boycott even though I don't involve myself in the Israel/Palestine debate. If you think the KKK isn't any wors...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Trying to prevent someone from retaining their high-paying job at a company I do business with after they donate heavily to the KKK is not bad. Yes it most certainly is because the definition of what constitutes a bad group (such as the KKK) is entirely subjective. Remember the UN had a resolution ...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: Can you please wrap your head around the abstract concept that this eventual leads to the suppression of Free Speech because of the fear it creates. Can you please wrap your head around the fact that this is an absurd slippery slope The ACLU set the threshold on what can be con...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

No groups are going around firing anyone. No one even got fired in the first place. *Every* group has a right to voice its concerns and try to organize boycotts against whatever companies are doing things it disagrees with, and every other group has a right to join the protest, start a counter-prot...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: Giving money to a group that lobbies against gay marriage is not really on par to executing them Yes, welcome to the goddamn point! My position is that there are different levels of "par", and which level your actions are at matters. Your position was that "somet...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: What he did in his private life negatively affected millions of Californians. Don't you see the slippery slope of that argument? So depending on how the political winds blow one can be driven out of their job? Support Israel today, ok, support Palestinians, you're fired. In the...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

What he did in his private life negatively affected millions of Californians. Don't you see the slippery slope of that argument? So depending on how the political winds blow one can be driven out of their job? Support Israel today, ok, support Palestinians, you're fired. In the future, it's the rev...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Donating to the KKK is something people do in their private life. Sending money to restrictive governments that execute homosexuals is something people do in their private life. Do you not see a difference of degree in these five different "private actions"? Edit: Like, if you simply beli...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

We know he really did act against gay marriage, whereas many of those accused of communist ties had no such connections. We spoke against the CEO and public face of a progressively-minded company who acted against gay marriage, not just any old run-of-the-mill employee. (How the fuck are you and ot...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

DeeperThought wrote: Let's just apply Ocamm's razor here and say "It's ok to fire only the people whose positions we disagree with". But that's not Occam's razor. That's just a straw man that has been refuted on pretty much every page of this thread so far. What? I've established that pri...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Btw, is there a list of the positions that it's ok to be fired for if publicly stated? 1. Anti-gay marriage, fireable. 2. Holocaust denier, fireable (with a question mark). 3. Pro-gun, ? 4. Anti-immigration, ? 5. Armenian Genocide denier, not fireable. 6. Misogynist, general fireable unless directed...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

However other people choose to answer that question, the situations aren't quite analogous. Making girls at a religious school wear burqas is more like refusing to perform same-sex marriages in your place of worship than it is like trying to force the state as a whole to outlaw gay marriage. And yo...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

To begin with, the government, with its full legal force, was directly involved in the blacklisting: both the House, with its un-American Activities Committee, and the Senate, with McCarthy in the lead. It wasn't a matter of actors, writers, and directors being unable to find work because private o...
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire (not really)

Has morphed to "I do not agree with what you have to say, there's the door."

Again, a sad commentary on what progressives beliefs have become.
by DeeperThought
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 179003

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

As someone who grew up in the late 70's and caught the tail end of the hippie generation I find this particular comic indicative of the slide towards "crypto-fasicism" by the left. The desire to surpress opposing viewpoints is present in everyone as is the ability to rationalize censorship...

Go to advanced search