Search found 20854 matches

by gmalivuk
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Annoying words, and Words You Hate
Replies: 1929
Views: 345816

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Criticizing a single element of your country's educational system wasn't an attempt to insult you at all, subtle or otherwise.
by gmalivuk
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:51 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: How to write in plain language
Replies: 31
Views: 1423

Re: How to write in plain language

Eebster the Great wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:He based it on the most common ten hundred words, twerked slightly to make it work.

I think you mean "twerked."

Yes.
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Hydrodynamic Levitation
Replies: 35
Views: 2129

Re: Hydrodynamic Levitation

In most configurations, they don't balance, but obviously they do in one, because the thing observably works, and Zamfir and I both explained why that equilibrium is stable (at least, why it's stable in the directions and axes we discussed, he one more than me).
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:28 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Hydrodynamic Levitation
Replies: 35
Views: 2129

Re: Hydrodynamic Levitation

Water sticks to most surfaces, and you can't say the ball's mass is negligible because its weight is precisely the thing balancing out the upward force of the water.

Also, there's not a single force through the center of the ball, which is why the ball is spinning so fast.
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:35 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Hydrodynamic Levitation
Replies: 35
Views: 2129

Re: Hydrodynamic Levitation

Water in the upper right quadrant isn't being deflected in either direction on average... What do you mean by this? Water in the upper right quadrant is going up and right on average, meaning that it should apply a force toward the lower left quadrant. If you say that the vertical component of this...
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Hydrodynamic Levitation
Replies: 35
Views: 2129

Re: Hydrodynamic Levitation

Water in the upper right quadrant isn't being deflected in either direction on average, so is mostly irrelevant. Water in the upper left is going to the left so it pushes the ball right. That balances out the push to the left from the water stream itself. The upward force is mostly applied by the wa...
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?
Replies: 338
Views: 42962

Re: Misunderstanding basic math concepts, help please?

This ground has been covered, again and again and again, in this and other threads Treatid has started over the years.
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Annoying words, and Words You Hate
Replies: 1929
Views: 345816

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

any system that separates Eurasia but not the Americas is just being obtuse for obtuseness' sake. That's pretty insulting and doesn't make sense, either. How does that not make sense? The Americas are at least as separate as Eurasia, and clearly moreso geographically. It seems like nothing more tha...
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:26 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Miscellaneous language questions
Replies: 404
Views: 33975

Re: Miscellaneous language questions

...sure, but I wasn't talking about your speech
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Miscellaneous language questions
Replies: 404
Views: 33975

Re: Miscellaneous language questions

Mega85 wrote:The words "soar" and "saw" sound very different in my speech.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about your speech.
by gmalivuk
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Miscellaneous language questions
Replies: 404
Views: 33975

Re: Miscellaneous language questions

It still results in lots of homophones that aren't homophonous in American English, like "soar"/"saw".
by gmalivuk
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:21 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Words you think English should have or bring back.
Replies: 643
Views: 107037

Re: Words you think English should have or bring back.

Monika wrote:In German it's for a variety of terms mostly for people
Zwilling twin
Drilling triplet

I assume that continues counting up for higher-order multiple births?
by gmalivuk
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:12 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

↶ What the fuck does any of that have to do with the number of marriages in NY outside of NYC, though? If you were paying attention when I first posted you would know. I know what you thought it was related to, but as I said at the time, I was talking about underage marriages. You quoted my comment...
by gmalivuk
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

What the fuck does any of that have to do with the number of marriages in NY outside of NYC, though?
by gmalivuk
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

morriswalters wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:We're talking about underage marriages here.
You're talking, I'm offering data specific to the point.
But you're not.

The point had to do with underage marriage, and you responded with an irrelevant statistic about all marriages.
by gmalivuk
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

↶ Edit: And those four weren't out of thousands, they were out of however many happened in 2011 alone, in New York State outside of New York City. According to the vital statistics record in 2011, 60,114 licenses were issued outside New York City. I couldn't find the breakdown by age for 2011 but d...
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

↶ Do you want to claim that a 16yo girl can't have a consensual relationship with a 19yo boy? No, and in many places (including NJ) that wouldn't be statutory rape, either. And out of the thousands of cases in the article, only four were singled out for extreme age differences. Therefore those must...
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

The fact that it's discouraged by the mainstream doesn't contradict the fact that, among other things, the legal loopholes allow parents to marry off their children to their rapists. That's not a loophole. Adults can marry their rapists, too, if they want. Yes, if they want . Being forced by your p...
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

The fact that it's discouraged by the mainstream doesn't contradict the fact that, among other things, the legal loopholes allow parents to marry off their children to their rapists.
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

I don't care whether you suppose it or know it for a fact, it's still not a relevant response to, "Most of the defenses of child marriage use religious reasons."
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Rejecting complete cultural relativism doesn't mean adopting any one particular universal morality. Would you share with me how that might work in practice? If I reject the teachings of Catholicism, that doesn't mean I've decided to be Buddhist. And it's not a stretch to suppose most or all marriag...
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

speising wrote:My issue was that you seemed to imply that most of those marriages are with old men
Yeah, but as I clarified I never implied any such thing.
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Gmal, you could end this stupid argument right now by just admitting you made a mistake with your blanket statement, and remember to never say never and always avoid always. I may have overstated the first part of my statement (about statutory rape), because NJ has a close-in-age exemption where it...
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Are you reading that correctly?

I'm not claiming most child marriages are between 13-year-olds and 30-year-olds, I'm just commenting on the ones that are.
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Anyone having sex with one of those 13-15-year-olds before they were married was committing statutory rape if nothing else. And it's not a stretch to suppose most or all marriages between a 13-year-old and someone two or three times her age is at least somewhat coercive. That's a supposition by you...
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Take your pick. "Universal" means it applies universally, not that it's accepted universally. Well that's convenient. Thus spoke the Church and the traders as they plundered the New World. Poor misguided savages. Rejecting complete cultural relativism doesn't mean adopting any one particu...
by gmalivuk
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm UTC
Forum: Site/Forum issues
Topic: 1037: Umwelt
Replies: 4
Views: 1935

Re: 1037: Umwelt

"Umwelt" changed based on where and how you viewed it, and also apparently when. I think it's quite appropriate that it's now invisible.
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2812
Views: 311727

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Please show me a universal moral framework? Take your pick. "Universal" means it applies universally, not that it's accepted universally. And yes, the rape marriages are the worst case scenarios. Using the word rape confuses the argument, however true it might be of some cases. But the tr...
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:34 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Annoying words, and Words You Hate
Replies: 1929
Views: 345816

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

As an ESL teacher, I frequently have to explain to Latin Americans that for the majority of English speakers all over the world, "America" refers to the United States. It's not unreasonable to complain about that fact, but it's nevertheless a fact they need to be aware of if they want to a...
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:26 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Annoying words, and Words You Hate
Replies: 1929
Views: 345816

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

As far as I can tell, that's never how it has been used, either.
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Annoying words, and Words You Hate
Replies: 1929
Views: 345816

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Quizatzhaderac wrote:It makes sense in (only) an archaic sense. Using "America" to mean the all of North an d South America a and the Caribbean one can reasonably say "These united stated of America" versus "the other united states of America"

Except, that's not actually ever how it's used.
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1852: "Election Map"
Replies: 29
Views: 2486

Re: 1852: Election Map

I've decided I'm going to fix the original post when it's done incorrectly, and then change it so it looks like I made it in the first place.

If you want the recognition or whatever it is that motivates people to rush to making the first post about a comic, then post correctly.
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1852: "Election Map"
Replies: 29
Views: 2486

1852: "Election Map"

Image
Title text : Luckily for my interpretation, no precincts were won by the Green Party.

The original OP, who didn't follow the rules and thus shall not receive recognition for making this post, wrote:I would say that Team Instinct still has not taken any Pokemon Go gyms.
by gmalivuk
Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Superconducting CPU?
Replies: 66
Views: 3408

Re: Superconducting CPU?

(You know that the "et" in "et cetera" already means "and", right? Seems weird to see "and etc.")
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1849: "Decades"
Replies: 89
Views: 5694

Re: 1849: "Decades"

I'd argue it takes 8-12 years following the close of a decade before everyone has settled on that decade's identity, and that this comic is a bit premature. Aughts and teens are awkward terms (compared to 70s, 80s, 90s), but I posit we're not yet far enough out of the aughts for the nostalgia to ha...
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1849: "Decades"
Replies: 89
Views: 5694

Re: 1849: "Decades"

2000-2010 = "the twenty-hundreds" Is this format used for numbers divisible by one thousand though? All you need to make this work is simple analogy: 1899 = "eighteen ninety-nine" 1900 = "nineteen hundred" 1901 = "nineteen oh-one" Therefore: 1999 = "nine...
by gmalivuk
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1849: "Decades"
Replies: 89
Views: 5694

Re: 1849: "Decades"

No
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Very, very, very SLOW meteoroids.
Replies: 15
Views: 3427

Re: Very, very, very SLOW meteoroids.

greenlimejuice wrote:I used this website and it showed my location in red (second place for worst light pollution)
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

North Korea is so fucking creepy on light level maps.
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1849: "Decades"
Replies: 89
Views: 5694

Re: 1849: "Decades"

Did people actually say "the ${decade}s" during that decade? (I was too young during the 90s to remember :oops: ) I thought people only referred to previous decades as such. Yes, they do start to refer to it during that decade, but it usually increases a lot more afterwards. (Though inter...
by gmalivuk
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1848: "Glacial Erratic"
Replies: 23
Views: 2357

Re: 1848: "Glacial Erratic"

DanAxtell wrote:My guess is that there really are no glacial erratics south of the equator
New Zealand would disagree (and is in addition a place where the comic's English conversation might happen).
Image

Go to advanced search