Search found 491 matches

by scwizard
Mon May 24, 2010 4:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 20014

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

That was one of the worst comics in a while...
by scwizard
Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0705: "Devotion to Duty"
Replies: 99
Views: 25061

Re: "Devotion to Duty" discussion

This comic is why I don't want to be a sysadmin, because I've seen them and they actually get like this.
by scwizard
Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:50 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0696: "Strip Games"
Replies: 250
Views: 68509

Re: Strip Games Discussion

Image
by scwizard
Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0696: "Strip Games"
Replies: 250
Views: 68509

Re: Strip Games Discussion

This comic is, of course, like all the others based on Google results, going to quickly skew itself from sites linking to it. Also, "Strip Magic: The Gathering" doesn't sound like it could be THAT rare. I know some people I could envision playing it. Or would the rules be hard to work out...
by scwizard
Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: HOLY BAM!!! SCOTUS overturns campaign finance
Replies: 143
Views: 10880

Re: HOLY BAM!!! SCOTUS overturns campaign finance

Personally, the optimist in me is hoping for a constitutional amendment to explicitly strip corporations of personhood. The 1st amendment says that congress can't make a law restricting freedom of speech. It doesn't say the speech needs to come from a person. If we were to change it to something ap...
by scwizard
Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: HOLY BAM!!! SCOTUS overturns campaign finance
Replies: 143
Views: 10880

Re: HOLY BAM!!! SCOTUS overturns campaign finance

The supreme court ruling makes for good reading. You can download it here: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-205.pdf

Reading the ruling is in my opinion the best way to gain an understanding of all sides of the debate.

EDIT: Oh OP, linked to it, cool.
by scwizard
Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0676: "Abstraction"
Replies: 88
Views: 18284

Re: "Abstraction" Discussion

So Randall confirmed for mac user?
by scwizard
Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0674: "Natural Parenting"
Replies: 100
Views: 21639

Re: "Natural Parenting" Discussion

The alt text really made this comic.
by scwizard
Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0634: "Date"
Replies: 102
Views: 16367

Re: "Date" Discussion

Joke is too highschool imo.

Was not amused.
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment
Replies: 40
Views: 3667

Re: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment

Persons not in the labor force (US): http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4193/lnu05000000593954125207.gif Compare with US population: http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&tdim=true&q=us+population+graph EDIT: Yeah, after running the numbers it seems that the por...
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism, socialism, and differing views of reality
Replies: 212
Views: 22563

Re: Libertarianism, socialism, and differing views of reality

Would it be possible to have a libertarian society with strong property rights, that just redefined the idea of property rights? Take for instance a capitalist society, where someone's right to a piece of some profit was determined by if they contributed or not. With each contributor getting an equa...
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment
Replies: 40
Views: 3667

Re: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment

Nonono, the US is definitely not excluded from this trend.

Even if the US is lagging behind Western Europe in terms of those not working (as as you demonstrate, it's not) it's moving in the same direction.
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment
Replies: 40
Views: 3667

Re: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment

Well that's the problem with capitalism. The fact is that in post industrial society there aren't enough jobs for that, and that will remain the case no matter how free the markets are. This is why every post industrial society, including America, has some sort of social protections for the unemploy...
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment
Replies: 40
Views: 3667

Re: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment

Another mid-term alternative would be to slowly reduce the number of people being born, subsequently reducing the number of people looking for work. Hmm, this seems to work for South Korea, but I'm not sure it's working so well for Japan. Also as China has demonstrated, birth control laws are no fu...
by scwizard
Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment
Replies: 40
Views: 3667

Possible ways to fight the looming problem of unemployment

It seems that one of the trends of the post industrial world is towards increased unemployment. Places such as Western Europe and Japan have high and increasing levels of unemployment. This trend, if it exists, seems reasonable to me. Advances in technology have lead to increased wealth in those cou...
by scwizard
Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0625: "Collections"
Replies: 137
Views: 29897

Re: "Collections" discussion

I'm kind of confused about the rules of this comic thread creation game. Do you need to actually read the comic and add a comment about it in the OP? I skimmed the comic and added something, and thus my topic was a few seconds later than that other guy's. If that isn't a requirement in thread making...
by scwizard
Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0625: "Collections"
Replies: 137
Views: 29897

Re: "Collections" discussion

suso wrote:Comment Magnet. Assholes of the world, please waist time analysing this stoopid comment so that we can keep you away from other places on the internet. Thank you.

I'm confused. What are you trying to say here?
by scwizard
Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0625: "Collections"
Replies: 137
Views: 29897

"Collections" discussion

Duplicated thread. Mergening!

Witty comment:
Big fan of Pratchett. Have every discworld book.
by scwizard
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0623: "Oregon"
Replies: 141
Views: 38083

Re: "Oregon" Discussion

I'm 19 and I grew up with this game as well.

I think I played it on an apple II or something, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

EDIT: nm I'm thinking of a later Oregon trail, that I played on windows 95 or something.
by scwizard
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0621: "Superlative"
Replies: 136
Views: 27669

Re: "Superlative" Discussion

Not a funny or interesting comic.

I know people like that. They're pretty boring. What else is there to say?
by scwizard
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0619: "Supported Features"
Replies: 157
Views: 29366

Re: Supported Features

Happy windows user here. This comic is pretty much the reason I switched from Linux to windows after trying Linux out.

Also this :P
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

Ugh. Atlas Shrugged. 1000 pages of bad philosophy are swirling back into my brain. Ha. No, in reality, it WAS very unique. But good God, I contemplated throwing it out the window multiple times. What did you find so bad about the philosophy? What parts made you so angry you wanted to throw it out t...
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

mchainmail wrote:And I just started reading Atlas Shrugged today...

Its style is quite unique isn't it :P

Some people can't stand it. I was able to tolerate it. I liked some aspects of it, and the parts I didn't like I could forgive because of how unique the whole thing was.
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

Commodore wrote:Ahaha! How dumb those other people are, all thinking they're special when they aren't. Makes me glad I'm not them!

Indeed, welcome to the half of the population that doesn't think they're special. It feels good to be part of the superior half ^^
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

Zero51423 wrote:Lies, I am special, all you other people are just predetermined puppets of a sadistic deity/deities. I alone have broken their/its web of predictions and control(insert interrobang here)





Or maybe I'm just crazy......

No you're not crazy. It's actually pretty normal to think that.
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:16 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

Very soon some of the objectivists on this site are going to get annoyed.

EDIT: Wow I suck at English.
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:12 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

hahaha, yeah, everyone thinks they're so individual, but there are millions of other people that have much the same lifestyle and are exposed to the same things...so many, many of us think completely alike. nice one randall-such a simple joke Just because two people share the same culture doesn't m...
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

dasada122 wrote:You mean... you mean I'm NOT special?

Define special.

I mean you're certainly unique.
by scwizard
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0610: "Sheeple"
Replies: 511
Views: 80829

Re: Sheeple

I know some folks who accuse me of being a sheep because I believe that Islamic extremists perpetrated the September 11th attacks.
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

Yeah my bad. About the argument the movie is making. Demonstrating that less intelligent people died younger in the days of yore doesn't prove that the population growth of stupid people was comparatively less than that of intelligent people back then. It suggests it though, makes me interested in l...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

Oh, I haven't seen the movie. You're right, it is a straw man. EDIT: The hat guy isn't making the straw man, the other guy did make that argument, he said "depressing huh." What your saying is that Randall is using the stick on the left as a straw man for the movie. You're only correct ab...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

I see. I find the comic distasteful to now. I wonder if Randall has actually seen the movie.
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

Oh, I wasn't talking about which position you should take in real life, I was just thinking of it in terms of which position you should argue on forums. If you argue a socially unacceptable position on forums, then you need double strong evidence because you'll be facing down more people. When I sai...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

Oh, I haven't seen the movie. You're right, it is a straw man. EDIT: The hat guy isn't making the straw man, the other guy did make that argument, he said "depressing huh." What your saying is that Randall is using the stick on the left as a straw man for the movie. You're only correct abo...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

While all of this could probably be resolved with further research, research into the heridity of intelligence, racial and socioeconomic differences in intelligence, ect. is difficult to do, and the Basically Decent refuse to even CONTEMPLATE the notion that all men might well NOT be created equal,...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

That's an interesting criticism. My response is that it's ok to act like your better than someone because you're right and they're wrong, but not ok to act like you're better than someone because you're smart and they're dumb. Yes, I completely agree, but this comic doesn't make any kind of justifi...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

criticism was what we saw as the hypocrisy and "holier than thou" attitude of this comic that seemed made to in fact attack shun that very attitude. That's an interesting criticism. My response is that it's ok to act like your better than someone because you're right and they're wrong, bu...
by scwizard
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0603: "Idiocracy"
Replies: 573
Views: 110054

Re: "Idiocracy" Discussion

Bah, the 100 year outlook for climate isn't nearly as bad as Randall thinks. Life flourished thousands of years ago when the planet was five or so degrees hotter than it is today. I've seen environmentalists write absurd things such as "bird migration patterns changing are proof of warming"...
by scwizard
Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0602: "Overstimulated"
Replies: 131
Views: 26472

Re: "Overstimulated" Discussion

I've been to some parties that I found pretty fun, but I've never found parties of any sort relaxing.

The party going on in this comic sounds like the kind of party people have nearby me, and then I need to tell them to turn the music down because I'm trying to sleep.
by scwizard
Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0573: "Parental Trolling"
Replies: 78
Views: 17674

Re: "Parental Trolling" Discussion

lol, that's not very nice

Interesting to see that trolling still exists in the future

Go to advanced search