Search found 42 matches

by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1866: "Russell's Teapot"
Replies: 78
Views: 9782

Re: 1866: "Russell's Teapot"

Cueball is trying to settle the teapot argument by actually launching a teapot into space... but how would doing this settle the argument? The comic is funny, but logically it's not changing anything. I wonder what "Cueball" thought this mission would proof... Russell's Teapot is a hypoth...
by peterdavidcarter
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1862: "Particle Properties"
Replies: 35
Views: 4588

Re: 1862: "Particle Properties"

Why does it feel like 'entropy' is Randal's word for 'stuff I don't understand'?
by peterdavidcarter
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1861: "Quantum"
Replies: 69
Views: 7907

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

Great sass is communicated before it is understood. I had to Google that one. It turns out to be T.S. Eliot who said, "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." He also described a cat that is "always on the wrong side of every door," which sounds very quantum mec...
by peterdavidcarter
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1861: "Quantum"
Replies: 69
Views: 7907

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

Great sass is communicated before it is understood. I had to Google that one. It turns out to be T.S. Eliot who said, "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." He also described a cat that is "always on the wrong side of every door," which sounds very quantum mec...
by peterdavidcarter
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1861: "Quantum"
Replies: 69
Views: 7907

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

Great sass is communicated before it is understood. I had to Google that one. It turns out to be T.S. Eliot who said, "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." He also described a cat that is "always on the wrong side of every door," which sounds very quantum mec...
by peterdavidcarter
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1861: "Quantum"
Replies: 69
Views: 7907

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

You've got to put stuff in a place. You're trying to get it bunched up, and you're trying to get it to lie flat. These two things conflict - you can't do them both perfectly. The math is literally the same for that problem as for the HUP. I certainly believe what you say, but sadly, I simultaneousl...
by peterdavidcarter
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1861: "Quantum"
Replies: 69
Views: 7907

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

I don't know about the Intern Clown Posse, but the only appropriate song here is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ3eBerHfM
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1860: "Communicating"
Replies: 60
Views: 8410

Re: 1860: "Communicating"

I take it you interpreted chris' joke as self-depreciating? (namely him being the egg and the long-haired one being a woman) Otherwise, how do you get to the assumption that chris is thinking the stick figure is a girl? Self deprecating? I don't believe so. The cartoon is gender neutral other than ...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1860: "Communicating"
Replies: 60
Views: 8410

Re: 1860: "Communicating"

I note here that in saying "neither more nor less" the evocation is of Communism, which leads new Alice to believe our new Humpty is giving her his stuff (though why she initially disincludes his car in this seems to have been an issue of her not being quite so adept linguistically as new ...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1860: "Communicating"
Replies: 60
Views: 8410

Re: 1860: "Communicating"

It was the first such comment on the thread, so yes, actually it must have been pretty original. No, that just suggests that earlier posters are better people than you. I don't know why, but I find this person less funny than Ron Maimon, who I find very amusing, but technically the linguistics and ...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1854: "Refresh Types"
Replies: 32
Views: 5767

Re: 1854: "Refresh Types"

The great thing is that with a few keymappings and a little knowledge of DNS queries you could actually do this.
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1845: "State Word Map"
Replies: 53
Views: 8946

Re: 1845: "State Word Map"

The word "pornography" originated from the literal Greek "writing about prostitutes." Originated, schmoriginated. It's what the word means now, in English, that matters. Anyway, it only really got going in the 20th Century, presumably influenced by sharing the "-ography&quo...
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1845: "State Word Map"
Replies: 53
Views: 8946

Re: 1845: "State Word Map"

It's basically all just either 1 or 0 anyway.
by peterdavidcarter
Sat May 06, 2017 5:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1833: "Code Quality 3"
Replies: 19
Views: 4188

Re: 1833: Code Quality 3

I have to look at a codebase for an indie MMO on Monday that looks exactly as described. It has been about six months since I last attempted to work on it and in the end threw my hands up in despair. I can only assume in the ensuing time no-one else was able to fix it either. On the flip side lookin...
by peterdavidcarter
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1823: "Hottest Editors"
Replies: 55
Views: 11773

Re: 1823: "Hottest Editors"

@Soupspoon what's your keybinding on that meme series?
by peterdavidcarter
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1823: "Hottest Editors"
Replies: 55
Views: 11773

Re: 1823: "Hottest Editors"

p.p.s I love how mental Explain XKCD got with this post
by peterdavidcarter
Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1823: "Hottest Editors"
Replies: 55
Views: 11773

Re: 1823: "Hottest Editors"

p.s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRISPR with Vim keybindings... think about it...
by peterdavidcarter
Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1823: "Hottest Editors"
Replies: 55
Views: 11773

Re: 1823: "Hottest Editors"

a: this is the worst, most obnoxious troll I've ever seen
b: Sublime Text lmfao
c: people actually genuinely don't understand Vim, even now
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1814: "Color Pattern"
Replies: 62
Views: 12252

Re: 1814: "Color Pattern"

Couldn't you just fix this by unevenly distributing the pixels on the chip. Are you talking about the source code, or pure binary, or something else... PinkyShinyRose is talking about randomly sprinkling pixels on crisps, like they do with salt and spices, instead of rasterising them. There in no r...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1814: "Color Pattern"
Replies: 62
Views: 12252

Re: 1814: "Color Pattern"

PinkShinyRose wrote:Couldn't you just fix this by unevenly distributing the pixels on the chip.


Are you talking about the source code, or pure binary, or something else...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:34 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1814: "Color Pattern"
Replies: 62
Views: 12252

Re: 1814: "Color Pattern"

I ran this through a sentiment analysis program written in Python and it returned: Rainbow Another behind and When the spacing is tight/and the difference is slight Given this was not actually a sentiment analysis, but rather just a selection of seemingly unrelated keywords, I sent an additional dat...
by peterdavidcarter
Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1791: "Telescopes: Refractor vs Reflector"
Replies: 99
Views: 13282

Re: 1791: "Telescopes: Refractor vs Reflector"

Ever since Steve Jobs, and probably before, there has been a common belief that psychedelics help you to understand science and technology. Recent evidence of so called "space vampires" uncovered by researchers who had a few hours previously ingested large quantities of lysergic acid dieth...
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1790: "Sad"
Replies: 81
Views: 11778

Re: 1790: "Sad"

So basically Randal was doing the exact same thing and was too blind to see it, so she reflected it back at him. Women, eh! Who knew?
by peterdavidcarter
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?
Replies: 9
Views: 3487

Re: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?

The evidence points more towards a spearphishing attack... basically Podesta was sent an email asking him to change his credentials and the link took him to a fake website - presumably on a machine owned by Russian intelligence. Which really doesn't require much in terms of sophistication; it's a f...
by peterdavidcarter
Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 am UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: IRC filtered, all other ports open
Replies: 1
Views: 4000

IRC filtered, all other ports open

A bit of a naive question, but I'm a sorta baffled by a recent nmap result on a server, which is showing all ports wide open apart from IRC, which is filtered. Is this a common configuration? In people's opinions what would they say is the most likely reason someone would config their server this way?
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?
Replies: 9
Views: 3487

Re: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?

Nevermind, it appears the full list is here:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20161229.aspx

So if anyone's struggling to find a hacker for hire, now there's a public directory.
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?
Replies: 9
Views: 3487

Re: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?

So you think she might have provided software to a third-party company who then used it to hack? It's a plausibly theory. But surely it's one the CIA would have considered themselves. By outing her in this way, in addition to closing off most of the 'white market' they've opened up a lot more other...
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?
Replies: 9
Views: 3487

Re: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?

So you think she might have provided software to a third-party company who then used it to hack? It's a plausibly theory. But surely it's one the CIA would have considered themselves. By outing her in this way, in addition to closing off most of the 'white market' they've opened up a lot more other ...
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?
Replies: 9
Views: 3487

Russian Hacks: is Alisa Shevchenko the culprit, a scape-goat or a little of both?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/06/russian-hacker-putin-election-alisa-shevchenko She suggested that the US authorities were guilty either of “a technically incompetent misinterpretation of the facts” or had been fooled by a “counterfeit in order to frame my company”. Those who could hav...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:25 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Methods of ensuring legal compliance
Replies: 10
Views: 5159

Re: Methods of ensuring legal compliance

I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action? Is there a reason you use a real ...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:25 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Methods of ensuring legal compliance
Replies: 10
Views: 5159

Re: Methods of ensuring legal compliance

I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action? Is there a reason you use a real ...
by peterdavidcarter
Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:22 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Methods of ensuring legal compliance
Replies: 10
Views: 5159

Methods of ensuring legal compliance

I have a request pending under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and have reason to believe it will likely not be complied with. If I seek redress via Kali Linux and Python scripts in order to access the required information, do people think this a reasonable action?
by peterdavidcarter
Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:12 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)
Replies: 43
Views: 16822

Re: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)

Also regarding enforceability of arrangements like this, isn't that supposed to be the role of the police... and of the secret service.
by peterdavidcarter
Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:51 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)
Replies: 43
Views: 16822

Re: Disparate Impact and Fair Housing Act (1968)

Could someone explain to a non-American what the rationale is behind these two... whatever you call them. Laws? I got pointed to these elsewhere and read their Wikipedia pages. This is how I understood them: The Fair Housing Act prohibits landlords from rejecting tenants based on non-business crite...
by peterdavidcarter
Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:04 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1773: "Negativity"
Replies: 25
Views: 6259

Re: 1773: "Negativity"

jc wrote:
SerialTroll wrote:Better alt: "Crab Grass"

Hey, if people kept lopping off your top,and stomping on you with their hard shoes, you'd be crabby, too.


One can only take so many inappropriate downvotes before one attempts to mow the worms out of the grass, no?
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:40 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Banned from Stack Exchange
Replies: 35
Views: 12693

Re: Banned from Stack Exchange

Which amazing stories? True ones or the part-fiction? Do you feel there was a story behind the post, or a genuine question, or a bit of both?
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:31 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Freelance coding: what should I expect?
Replies: 1
Views: 3579

Freelance coding: what should I expect?

It's difficult to know exactly how to phrase what I'm asking, in some ways, but as someone new to the freelancing world I'm finding it all a bit bizarre. One minute I'll have someone offering me $120 for some fairly simple Systems Admin work, will overlook any errors or problems, and be extremely gr...
by peterdavidcarter
Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1772: "Startup Opportunity"
Replies: 13
Views: 4606

Re: 1772: "Startup Opportunity"

Old Bruce wrote:
Morgan Wick wrote:Is this the same company as this comic?

Or for that matter, this one?


You missed this one, I include it because I figure I could handle the technology involved.


Ok, that's it. I'm certain. White beret guy is just me. Where do I sue for copyright? Do I have to have a law degree?
by peterdavidcarter
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Banned from Stack Exchange
Replies: 35
Views: 12693

Banned from Stack Exchange

So, like, how many of you have been banned from Stack Exchange sites, and which ones, and why, and how long for?
by peterdavidcarter
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1772: "Startup Opportunity"
Replies: 13
Views: 4606

Re: 1772: "Startup Opportunity"

Morgan Wick wrote:Is this the same company as this comic?

Or for that matter, this one?


Or this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1LPkdZNRc

Go to advanced search