Search found 81 matches

by fooliam
Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Rock Climbing
Replies: 168
Views: 101065

Re: Rock Climbing

I've started climbing again after many years off. Been goin for about 3 months now, and just gettin back to climbing v3. Mostly, I boulder. I like top roping and lead climbing, but I go right after work and don't often have a partner to belay may. So, I stick to the bouldering walls. I don't do a lo...
by fooliam
Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:54 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Freshness
Replies: 17
Views: 4229

Re: Freshness

On the topic of anti-oxidants: They're really great to prevent cellular degeneration. HOWEVER, one of the main chemical signals for mitochondrial biogenesis (one of the key components to increased fitness) are reactive oxygen species (AKA Free radicals). So...while anti-oxidants might keep you wrink...
by fooliam
Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:52 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: I'm losing weight, not in a good way
Replies: 5
Views: 2450

Re: I'm losing weight, not in a good way

I agree with Nath on this one. Your body isn't dumb, and it isn't wasteful. If you aren't lifting as heavily or as often as you were before, you are going to lose muscle mass. No if's, and's or but's about it. Your body does not maintain excess muscle mass. That effect will be further exacerbated by...
by fooliam
Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:24 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: How do I get fit?
Replies: 11
Views: 2966

Re: How do I get fit?

If you're trying to put on muscle, doing distance runs on a treadmill isn't gonna help you very much. When is the last time you saw a distance runner that wasn't skinny? Never. If you're trying to put on muscle, you are going to want to do short bursts of high intensity effort. Weight lifting, and i...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: The Official Running thread!
Replies: 444
Views: 160758

Re: The Official Running thread!

Do good shoes really help? cause I've been running 5 or so miles a week with a pair of monstrously beat-up vans that are over a year old. Conservatively I'd say I've RUN 50+ miles on them, and walked literally hundreds more. I'm not really caring about it though, and I prefer to run barefoot anyway...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Pez Loses Weight
Replies: 16
Views: 3204

Re: Pez Loses Weight

wait wait wait...you're 6 feet 8 Inches tall, and you think 185 is overweight? Thanks MJ for checking the math...5'6" makes a LOT more sense. Anyway, if you're not big on going to the gym, lots of walking can be fine. If you can get an hour to 90 minutes of brisk walking in a day, you should be...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How does one become a famous scientist?
Replies: 84
Views: 15383

Re: How does one become a famous scientist?

I didn't know Feynman was a Nobel Prize winner. I don't even know who Feynman is, and compared to the vast majority of people, I'm pretty up on my historically significant science figures. I can promise you that WAYYY more people are familiar with Carl Segan than Feynman. If you do not know who Ric...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Laptop Exercises
Replies: 10
Views: 3690

Re: Laptop Exercises

If you have .5kg weights on for a whole day, and you do a lot of going up and down stairs...like a couple thousand...it could do maybe a tiny bit? ha.
by fooliam
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:10 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Knowledge from group averages
Replies: 25
Views: 3032

Re: Knowledge from group averages

gmalivuk wrote:
fooliam wrote:Lets got everyone in the state of California to guess next week's lottery numbers and see if more than the predicted amount of people are able to correctly guess the lottery numbers.
Right. Which is to say, let's implement the California state lotto...



oh. right. :oops:
by fooliam
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How does one become a famous scientist?
Replies: 84
Views: 15383

Re: How does one become a famous scientist?

Two words my friend: Nobel Prize. Einstein and Feynman both got it, and they are 2/3 of the famous physicists of the 20th century. Once you get the prize you have a single moment where everyone cares what you say. If you say something interesting, you become famous! Not to mention most people can't...
by fooliam
Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How does one become a famous scientist?
Replies: 84
Views: 15383

Re: How does one become a famous scientist?

Two words my friend: Nobel Prize. Einstein and Feynman both got it, and they are 2/3 of the famous physicists of the 20th century. Once you get the prize you have a single moment where everyone cares what you say. If you say something interesting, you become famous! Not to mention most people can't...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:40 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: which would you recommend
Replies: 7
Views: 1355

Re: which would you recommend

Mass Effect 2 is a must buy for anyone who's ever going to play a video game ever. So, the first choice is a given. The second choice is a bit muddier. Arkham Asylum is by far the best Batman game ever, and probably the best, or very easily debatable, superhero game ever. Just plain awesome game, t...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6201

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

Anecdotally, I weighed 145 pounds the end of my senior year of highschool...by the end of my freshman year of college I weighed around 170 with little change in diet or exercise habits. I just started "filling out" so to speak. That's a big lifestyle change to undergo without any changes ...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Knowledge from group averages
Replies: 25
Views: 3032

Re: Knowledge from group averages

Hmm, from lottery data on the number of winners per number, you could eventually figure out which numbers people are most likely to pick. You'd need rather a lot of samples though :D On a tangential point, I've always been curious if it would be worthwhile to construct a retrospective statistical m...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:24 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on fire
Replies: 25
Views: 2501

Re: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on

I say kevlar wicks, dipped in citronella oil, kerosene or FireSol , and bound to the blades with wire. Safest, most practical way to do it - that's how firetwirlers do it. He wins. By far the best idea. Well, provided we define best as "makes a flaming knife with the lowest likelihood of setti...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:38 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: which would you recommend
Replies: 7
Views: 1355

which would you recommend

I haven't bought a new game in a while, and I find myself getting bored with Team Fortress 2, since its more or less the only thing I've played in months. So, I'm hoping that the good people of xkcd will be able to help me decide which of the above games to purchase. I've thought about purchasing th...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Knowledge from group averages
Replies: 25
Views: 3032

Re: Knowledge from group averages

The example I saw of a similar experiment was "how much does this melon weigh". However, in that question, you can both pickup the melon, look at it, and use your intuition (calculate via observation) the weight. This does allow you to get an average number of guesses that end up very clo...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Personal Records
Replies: 159
Views: 64087

Re: Personal Records

I set a personal record today! ...in heart rate fuck I'm out of shape. my pulse was 250. I decided to take it a little easier after that. Either you counted wrong or your heart rate monitor is bad at its job, cuz theres no way you got your HR to 250 It's not impossible, just highly highly improbabl...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:30 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Knowledge from group averages
Replies: 25
Views: 3032

Re: Knowledge from group averages

It seems possible that even if people don't have that specific information, they may have enough tangential knowledge to infer a relatively accurate guess. But it seems like it would depend too much on the accuracy of peoples' assumptions based on that tangential knowledge to really be accurate.
by fooliam
Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Glee goes Political?
Replies: 31
Views: 5822

Re: Glee goes Political?

Then, on last night's episode a character says 'faggy' toward a gay character, and during the obligatory chewing out, he's told "Do you call [black character] the N word? do you call [disabled character] retarted?", obviously referencing the hell that Sarah Palin raised after someone she ...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Battle of the Doctors
Replies: 31
Views: 7661

Re: Battle of the Doctors

Garzahd wrote:I want Hugh Laurie as one of The Doctor's regenerations. Now that would be awesome.


That would just be fantastic. Seriously would be the greatest thing to ever happen in Television.
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Paul the Octopus
Replies: 34
Views: 4876

Re: Paul the Octopus

SlyReaper wrote:I get it! Octopodes experience time backwards like Merlin. He was simply remembering the match result when he chose which mussel to eat. The two earlier failures were simply Paul getting fed up of always having to choose mussels based on football match results.


I concur.
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:11 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Broken reusable supersaturated exothermic hand warmer?
Replies: 11
Views: 8677

Re: Broken reusable supersaturated exothermic hand warmer?

If its a supersaturated solution, a lack of 100% complete dissolution will result in full crystallization when cooled, as Ulc stated.

Would some kind of damage to the inside of the container be enough to cause recrystallization, similar to scratching the side of a beaker to induce crystallization?
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on fire
Replies: 25
Views: 2501

Re: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on

The Sterno I've worked with is jelly consistency and is probably do-able w/o grooves. It really depends on whether or not you want to actually cut anything with it, and whether you want to eat what you cut, in which case Sterno is a bad ida. I was just thinking about making it as much like an ordin...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:05 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6201

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

Victoria Maddison wrote:What a waste of my time. I'm not going to indulge your sophistry anymore.


:roll:
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:04 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6201

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

I'm interested in proper research by people without a product/book to sell. This is just anecdotal and thus slightly off topic but I'd like to say that my personal experience with protein supplementation has been highly positive. I started weight training as a skinny teenager after reading "We...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:13 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on fire
Replies: 25
Views: 2501

Re: Irresponsible and dangerous: need help to set knives on

How much work are you prepared to put into this? If you have access to machine tools, you could carve some 1mm wide grooves into the back of the blade, or just below the back on the faces, then lay some fine brass tube, with a series of holes drilled along its length, into those. Hook up a disposab...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How does one become a famous scientist?
Replies: 84
Views: 15383

Re: How does one become a famous scientist?

Well...Make a bunch of TV shows that explain science in lay terms. Like Michio Kakau (Old gray haired asian guy...you know who i'm talkin about, but I don't know how to spell his name) or that Neil guy that decided Pluto wasn't a planet. Or pull a Carl Sagan and make an awesome television series abo...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Paying for a Personal Trainer
Replies: 6
Views: 2088

Re: Paying for a Personal Trainer

IF you're just going to the gym to stay in shape, and you've had pretty good results without a personal trainer, why pay the money? However, if you've got some specific goals in mind, then a personal trainer will be a good investment, as they will be able to develop an exercise plan specifically des...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:46 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6201

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

In response to Victoria Maddison, since I'm too lazy to go back and quote everything... 1st part) I wouldn't say thats a straw man argument. If you're using protein supplementation to increase hypertrophy, than the influence of protein supplementation on anabolic hormones is relevant. While that stu...
by fooliam
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:22 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Stretching
Replies: 3
Views: 1754

Re: Stretching

kinda depends on your starting point. Some people are more flexible than others regardless of any kind stretching routine. ALso depends on the type of stretching you're doing and how often you do it, as well as how well your body responds to the stretching routine. In other words, there is no way to...
by fooliam
Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:05 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6201

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

Well...some evidence against amino acid supplementation... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12093449 That article relates specifically to whether or not amino acid supplementation increases growth hormone production, finding no results. I'd say that's an argument against amino acid supplementation...
by fooliam
Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:31 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: using biology to defend civil rights
Replies: 59
Views: 7403

Re: using biology to defend civil rights

Your post is very interesting and I actually thought about the topic long ago. I think that there is simply no need for so many arguments. Homosexuality does no harm so banning it or shunning it makes no sense at all. It being a choice, natural, consented by the other person or anything else is irr...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Personal Records
Replies: 159
Views: 64087

Re: Personal Records

I set a personal record today! ...in heart rate fuck I'm out of shape. my pulse was 250. I decided to take it a little easier after that. Either you counted wrong or your heart rate monitor is bad at its job, cuz theres no way you got your HR to 250 It's not impossible, just highly highly improbabl...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: 6-pack
Replies: 96
Views: 20681

Re: 6-pack

Find a tricep cable pull-down machine. Put some weight on the stack, then get on your knees, facing the machine, and a bit aways from it. Tuck your arms beside/behind your head, and very slowly and with good control do a crunch towards the floor. Be careful coming up, making sure you stay in contro...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: The Official Running thread!
Replies: 444
Views: 160758

Re: The Official Running thread!

I'm in the Army. Running fast is part of my job's requirements. For the life of me, I cannot run fast. You're running longer distances than you "need" to, so shorter them. Run one mile as fast as you can. Do fartleks. Do wind sprints. It sounds silly, but he way to get faster is to run fa...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Point fans outward or inward from windows?
Replies: 10
Views: 17718

Re: Point fans outward or inward from windows?

What about the air sucking in the surrounding air? If the fan is blowing cool air in...the some of the warm air being pushed out the window would be caught back up and pushed back in correct? And if the fan is blowing warm air out, would some cold air be caught and blown out along with the warm air?...
by fooliam
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:26 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Paul the Octopus
Replies: 34
Views: 4876

Re: Paul the Octopus

Of course, he could just be a time-traveling sentient octopus from the future who came back and picked world cup teams just to screw with humanity combined with a little revenge for all the calimari the world has eaten. Just sayin...its possible.
by fooliam
Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Personal Records
Replies: 159
Views: 64087

Re: Personal Records

Watcher Of The Skies wrote:I set a personal record today!
...in heart rate
fuck I'm out of shape. my pulse was 250. I decided to take it a little easier after that.


Either you counted wrong or your heart rate monitor is bad at its job, cuz theres no way you got your HR to 250
by fooliam
Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:16 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Personal Records
Replies: 159
Views: 64087

Re: Personal Records

400m: 49.87
200m: 22.80
1600m: 5:40

Squat: 405lbs x 1
Bench: 185lbs x 1

Go to advanced search