Search found 38 matches

by EugeneStyles
Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1789: "Phone Numbers"
Replies: 27
Views: 8501

Re: 1789: "Phone Numbers"

I have one phone number. The only folk I know with multiple numbers are "purveyors of rare herbs and proscribed chemicals". I always thought it was "prescribed chemicals". No, he definitely meant proscribed. Purveyors of prescribed chemicals and purveyors of proscribed chemicals...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1789: "Phone Numbers"
Replies: 27
Views: 8501

Re: 1789: "Phone Numbers"

I have one phone number. The only folk I know with multiple numbers are "purveyors of rare herbs and proscribed chemicals". I always thought it was "prescribed chemicals". Pseudo-edit: The Internets agree with me. That's a stupid pair of words though: almost identical pronunciat...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1768: "Settling"
Replies: 50
Views: 15140

Re: 1768: "Settling"

gmalivuk wrote:Depends on the relationship. DTMFA is sometimes the best advice.


I thought DTMFA meant Down To Make F*** Alot.
by EugeneStyles
Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1757: "November 2016"
Replies: 41
Views: 10967

Re: 1757: "November 2016"

What I got from this is that Netflix has been around way longer than I thought, and Rickrolling and saying silly thing about Charles Norris way less time that I thought. Seriously, I would have put Rickrolling as older than Netflix, and both of them somewhere in the vicinity of "those X-Men mov...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1728: "Cron Mail"
Replies: 21
Views: 8079

Re: 1782: "Cron Mail"

Randall is hoping this comic will motivate the creation of the website "explainexplainxkcd.com". Don't be silly. He's looking for us to solve the general problem of explaining arbitrary explanations. Bonus points for doing it in a standard way. Well, now I'm thinking about starting a webs...
by EugeneStyles
Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1482: "#NowPlaying"
Replies: 89
Views: 16298

Re: 1482: "#NowPlaying"

...Musipedia also lets you search by the actual sequence of notes, and it came up with the Friends theme by the Rembrandts; the melody matches the first part of the first line, corresponding to the words "Well no-one told me life was gonna be", although it has to be in A major, not the or...
by EugeneStyles
Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1482: "#NowPlaying"
Replies: 89
Views: 16298

Re: 1482: "#NowPlaying"

The notes are most definitely not random and I immediately heard them as a specific phrase. I'm at work and can't record it, though. It's in eighth-notes except for the last note; the first E (in the unedited strip) is an anacrusis, and the intervals ascend up to D, then descend to the E (the conse...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1480: "Super Bowl"
Replies: 102
Views: 17550

Re: 1480: "Super Bowl"

The only people more annoying than those who must loudly and repeatedly insist that they don't understand or care about the Super Bowl, are people who won't shut up about this "World Cup" thing, whatever that is - not that I care.
by EugeneStyles
Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:55 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0127: "Tug of War"
Replies: 61
Views: 24246

Re: What-If 0127: "Tug of War"

Harvard had a Tug-of-War team. I saw that picture a few minutes ago, and for some reason the first thing I thought of was them dressing up a pile of bricks in a sweater vest and trying to pass it off as a student. Somewhere along the lines of a "Weekend at Bernies"/"Ladybugs"/&q...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:55 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0124: "Lunar Swimming"
Replies: 60
Views: 34444

Re: What-If 0124: "Lunar Swimming"

Yeah, we could make water ON the Moon by extracting hydrogen and oxygen from the rocks (or maybe get it from polar craters). After doing some (minimal) research, I would think that being able to efficiently extract oxygen from the lunar soil is a prerequisite to having a manned base, but I still ha...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:14 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0124: "Lunar Swimming"
Replies: 60
Views: 34444

Re: What-If 0124: "Lunar Swimming"

Do the hydrogen and oxygen atoms suddenly get more mass when they bond to form water? 'Cuz if not then bringing them separated and then bonding them there wouldn't make a bit of difference. ...No, they don't. More mass requires more matter, and matter cannot be created or destroyed. You're right th...
by EugeneStyles
Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1442: "Chemistry"
Replies: 63
Views: 21775

Re: 1442: "Chemistry"

You are correct (according to Wikipedia) and hilarious (according to me). The craziest thing to me is that this appears to analogous to a cranberry morpheme, nothing is "biang" except "biang biang noodles", so one would never write that character once without writing it a second...
by EugeneStyles
Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1442: "Chemistry"
Replies: 63
Views: 21775

Re: 1442: "Chemistry"

Does that character contain the entire recipe? http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=46480 Based on my total ignorance of Chinese topography, I"m going to guess the center column is the recipe, the two identical columns on the left and right are people eating it, the markings outside of ...
by EugeneStyles
Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1435: "Presidential Alert"
Replies: 59
Views: 13415

Re: 1435: "Presidential Alert"

This one is strongly overlapping with my sincere desire to be watching a football and see the following: Ref: Sorry. I just haven't thrown a flag all game and wanted some attention. You can go back to the game now, everything's fine. I can virtually guarantee you this will never happen in a Footbal...
by EugeneStyles
Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1431: "Marriage"
Replies: 442
Views: 74253

Re: 1431: Marriage

I found it perhaps ironic and at least humorous that the graph for legal acceptance of interracial marriage looks a bit like mirror-image Oklahoma.
by EugeneStyles
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1394: Superm*n
Replies: 82
Views: 16317

Re: 1394: Superm*n

You would think that astronomers of all people would know what "mega" means. great, large, vast, big, high, tall; mighty, important ? Only in the same way that "theory" means a wild guess with no proof. Mega- is an SI prefix with a specific meaning in scientific terms. Using the...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1394: Superm*n
Replies: 82
Views: 16317

Re: 1394: Superm*n

At least "super" just means above, beyond, or more than. The one that really annoys me is "mega-earth" being used to describe an exoplanet that isn't a million times as big as earth (it's 17x as massive, and twice the diameter): https://student.societyforscience.org/article/first...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1311: "2014"
Replies: 40
Views: 11041

Re: 1311: "2014"

We Finns are technically not in Scandinavia, but that is legitimately the greatest compliment I could ever hope for. Is this somewhat accurate? If so, I don't want to know. http://31.media.tumblr.com/2237e3270a21932651854ea0ce1639d6/tumblr_mku5d2eSES1qfswzgo1_500.jpg The three rightmost circles are...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1301: "File Extensions"
Replies: 102
Views: 32513

Re: 1301: "File Extensions"

scarletmanuka wrote:Just wanted to say that the reliability score given for .xls/.xlsx is way too high.


I think xlsx should be substantially lower on the list than xls.
by EugeneStyles
Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1285: "Third Way"
Replies: 163
Views: 32088

Re: 1285: "Third Way"

I am convinced that the silent misanthropic conversion of double spaces to single in HTML is the number one cause for the downfall of reading comprehension on the webertubes. The additional space takes negligible effort to input and, in the rare cases where it is preserved, adds a nice separating ef...
by EugeneStyles
Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Play Your Cards Right
Replies: 26
Views: 24794

Re: Play Your Cards Right

I had a go myself using the same algorithm, and I didn't quite the same results. These are the numbers I got: Swap 0, offers 1000000000 (100%), swaps 538447130 (53.84%) Card 0, guesses 1000000000 (100%), successes 788402043 (78.84%) Card 1, guesses 788402043 (78....
by EugeneStyles
Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Play Your Cards Right
Replies: 26
Views: 24794

Re: Play Your Cards Right

Okay, first another 100,000 trials with sucess per guess: Trials: 100000, Successes: 7193 Rate: 0.07193 Successes: 0 : 100000 (100.00%) (100.00% of trials) 1 : 78771 (78.77%) (78.77% of trials) 2 : 54922 (69.72%) (54.92% of trials) 3 : 38125 (69.42...
by EugeneStyles
Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Play Your Cards Right
Replies: 26
Views: 24794

Re: Play Your Cards Right

Okay, had a chance to run a quick trial with bins for success per card, and here's what I got: Trials: 10000, Successes: 702 Rate: 0.0702 Successes: 0 : 10000 (100.00%) (100.00% of trials) 1 : 7864 (78.64%) (78.64% of trials) 2 : 5530 (70.32%) (55.30% of t...
by EugeneStyles
Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:12 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Play Your Cards Right
Replies: 26
Views: 24794

Re: Play Your Cards Right

That looks right, and pretty much agrees with my calculations. Do you have an easy way of getting the marginal probabilities for getting each step right, assuming the previous was right? Is it true that the second is the lowest? That's a good question, but I haven't really been storing my data - ju...
by EugeneStyles
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Play Your Cards Right
Replies: 26
Views: 24794

Re: Play Your Cards Right

This picqued my interest, so I decided to Monte Carlo it. The general algorithm is pretty simple. Look at the cards remaining in the deck and if more of them are HIGHER than the current card then LOWER than the current card, guess higher. Most of the time, this is equivalent to guessing higher on 2-...
by EugeneStyles
Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:34 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1185: "Ineffective Sorts"
Replies: 180
Views: 63899

Re: 1185: "Ineffective Sorts"

Okay, so this comic got me thinking about sort algorithms again, as I sometimes do (thanks to whoever posted sleepsort, BTW, that's brilliant. Stupid, but brilliant), and especially the "half-hearted" sort got me thinking. I can think of some applications where a half-hearted sort might ac...
by EugeneStyles
Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1189: "Voyager 1"
Replies: 119
Views: 54524

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Eikou wrote:"trans-Neptunian panic zone" you say? I wonder how it got that name. Interesting...


All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror.


Don't worry, that's just its name.

It's really more of a nebula.
by EugeneStyles
Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1189: "Voyager 1"
Replies: 119
Views: 54524

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

rainspeaker wrote:
FourTael wrote:Was that a reference to Cats in the alt-text?

Quite the reverse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennelly%E ... side_layer


Thank you. I just learned something about the Earth's atmosphere. And Cats. And RF.
by EugeneStyles
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:30 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0995: "Coin Star"
Replies: 105
Views: 22265

Re: 0995: "Coin Star"

Am I the only one that imagined the machine feeding out a full-sized candy bar?

Or just too obvious to bring up?
by EugeneStyles
Mon May 14, 2007 5:48 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: My write-up of the "Blue Eyes" solution (SPOILER A
Replies: 1368
Views: 421033

Okay, I read through the first 2 pages of this thread, and I don't think anyone has stated this plainly... (edit: duh, it turns out that it was mentioned in the posts directly above mine... sorry, skimmed over those, which was obviously stupid... anyway, I'll leave this post here, maybe it will be u...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:10 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Chess Game [solution discussion]
Replies: 11
Views: 4883

Umm... I thought the original question stated that the checkmate move occurred on the 5th move of the game. The 5th move is taken by white, not black, and it's only his 3rd move of the game... seems impossible given the constraints. Okay, I admit that if you consider that a checkmate via knight capt...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The surprise exam paradox
Replies: 217
Views: 66167

I don't believe there is a truly satisfying answer to this paradox. The problem comes from defining the statements as follows... N = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} for some n in N, Tn = 1. if E(P(Tn)) = 1 then P(Tn) = 0. Where P(Tn) is the probability of the test being that day, and E(P(Tn)) is the expected probab...
by EugeneStyles
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:38 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 689755

I suppose I should have posted in here before, as I've noticed people being a bit snarky (possibly jokingly snarky) about newbies not posting in the introductions thread. So, despite the fact that I dislike introductions threads and the fact that I am, in fact, a spambot... hi. I'm EugeneStyles and ...
by EugeneStyles
Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0254: "Comic Fragment"
Replies: 92
Views: 31366

Re: "Comic Fragment" Discussion

I apologize for the thread-jack, guys. But I just want to answer the question/attack... Doesn't change the fact that the actual meaning of the word "beg" in that phrase is "to avoid". "avoid" is not the "actual" meaning of "beg" in this case, what ma...
by EugeneStyles
Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0254: "Comic Fragment"
Replies: 92
Views: 31366

Re: "Comic Fragment" Discussion

I think maybe it's "jumping the shark". As in, "the comic wherein Janine Garofolo rode a dirt bike into a volcano was totally when xkcd jumped the shark." :D Maybe it begged the question of how many darts it takes to down a raptor, assuming that everyone reading the comic was as...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:53 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0254: "Comic Fragment"
Replies: 92
Views: 31366

Re: "Comic Fragment" Discussion

The comic begs the question: how many tranquilizer darts are required to down a raptor? Well, after seeing this .. who knows what madness has occurred? Also, wouldn't that be "raising the question," not "begging the question" ? It's one of those phrases that I refuse to use beca...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0247: "Factoring the Time"
Replies: 137
Views: 53715

My own factor clock . I wrote it earlier, before I thought to check the forums. Anywho, it has a few options and I think it displays more nicely than the others (but of course I'm biased). Your clock is better. Of course, it has to be. If you posted it after and it was worse, it'd be a huge letdown...
by EugeneStyles
Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0240: "Dream Girl"
Replies: 207
Views: 114394

...didn't get into MIT. I hereby declare us the Official Xkcd "Not Good Enough" club! I get to be precedent! Hmm. I was actually accepted to MIT for undergrad, but didn't go. Then later I got rejected by MIT for grad school. I'm not sure which club I belong to. ;) You get to be in the &qu...

Go to advanced search