Search found 6184 matches

by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Animal Rights Activists Trash Italian Lab
Replies: 170
Views: 15705

Re: Animal Rights Activists Trash Italian Lab

Izawwlgood wrote:it is quite evident that [these activists] haven't thought about it very carefully.
How is that evident? Aside from their reaching different conclusions than you have.
by Princess Marzipan
Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

And let's be honest, it's REALLY not fair to stop at having resurrected just the left half of a victim.
by Princess Marzipan
Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:16 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

I'm seeing a lot of twitter chatter about this fellow not yet having been read his Miranda rights.

Thaaaat is really not sitting okay with me.
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Just guzzle PBR until the feeling goes away.
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooter at MIT
Replies: 13
Views: 2461

Re: Shooter at MIT

Black hat guy? White hat guy?

RANDAAAAAALL!
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

And the result is that rather than a single accurate account, you end up with dozens of different accounts, with various edits and changes, which make it very difficult for the public to be reliably informed, which is the entire point of the news media! *puts hand against ear, listens to incoming me...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

I have never been more proud to say that while I am not *from* Boston (though relatively nearby) I am definitely "of" Boston. Boston is totally in my blood. I've never felt prideful of having come from or lived in any place before, but holy shit am I proud to call myself a Bostonian. One ...
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.
Replies: 721
Views: 95303

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

The Schneier quote eloquently expresses what I've been feeling. I keep seeing that this or that official, up to and including President Obama, has declared this to be an Act Of Terrorism. Like some public official's statement has anything to do with. It sickens me, because once that phrase drops, th...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Man arrested because his phone could be a weapon
Replies: 27
Views: 5684

Re: Man arrested because his phone could be a weapon

This whole thread sounds like terrorist talk.
by Princess Marzipan
Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Transsexual man admits 'tricking' 2 girls into sex
Replies: 342
Views: 26856

Re: Transsexual man admits 'tricking' 2 girls into sex

CorruptUser wrote:Kind of personal.

Spoiler:
[spoilersnip]


Spoiler:
What part of ANY of those problems is not IMMEDIATELY solved by your asking "Hey, you wouldn't happen to transgender, would you?" before engaging in sex?
by Princess Marzipan
Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:49 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6424
Views: 936612

Re: Police misbehavior thread

And yet all three branches working together, or even simply being filled with people whose interests are similar enough that working in their own interests is effectively the same as working together, renders those checks impotent.
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Man arrested because his phone could be a weapon
Replies: 27
Views: 5684

Re: Man arrested because his phone could be a weapon

They're mightier than swords, after all.

-_-

I really wonder if there is any solution at all to the tendency for power to be willfully abused.
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Baroness Thatcher dead
Replies: 44
Views: 5817

Re: Baroness Thatcher dead

I really like this text, HungryHobo. But I'm really put off by the source... Harry Potter fan-fiction?? :? Even if it's "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" and contains stuff like this (thanks for removing the surrounding Harry/Hermione discussion, btw), I'm really torn as to wh...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: CFAA draft would make ToS violations a felony
Replies: 19
Views: 4503

Re: CFAA draft would make ToS violations a felony

philsov wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:"Agreeing to the Terms of Service blahblahblah."


yeah yeah, whatever.

*clicks Accept*


PAGE-ing sweet Lady Justice...
Spoiler:
ImageLook out, she's got a hell of an arm.
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: NASA plans to rassle an asteroid
Replies: 87
Views: 7925

Re: NASA plans to rassle an asteroid

Nylonathatep wrote:With a bit of deceptions we could even make it look like a natural disaster instead of an attack.
Simpsons Stargate did it!
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: CFAA draft would make ToS violations a felony
Replies: 19
Views: 4503

Re: CFAA draft would make ToS violations a felony

"Agreeing to the Terms of Service is a violation of the Terms of Service."
by Princess Marzipan
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

To be fair exceedingly generous, the single sentence in question was indeed circular. And yes, I am indeed putting the responsibility for derailment caused by using "mansplain" on the shoulders of the folks using the word. So let me rephrase it to more accurately match my intended meaning,...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

It was a direct statement . The context does not change its meaning. And yes, I'm divorcing it from your argument, because I genuinely do not want to engage with any argument that uses victim-blamey logic like that. [edited away some rudeness] Reducing my viewpoint to "victim-blamey" logi...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

That wasn't my argument. Yet again, you've plucked a sentence out of its paragraph, divorcing it from my argument. It's a word that is going to quite naturally raise hackles and put people on the defensive. Once that word comes up, the entire conversation becomes a discussion about why "manspla...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

Uhh... you're comparing the concept of privilege with the word mansplanation? Are you claiming that if someone derails a conversation by questioning the legitimacy of the word "privilege", the conversation will continue to be about actual issues of privilege, rather than about a nonsensic...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

http://media.tumblr.com/616ab3dbff3f0a76f37e706338469baf/tumblr_inline_mjgvdssCIH1rd196p.gif Thanks, folks, for completely ignoring the very next sentence, where I stated the term has some merit. (And if you think those tactics are so important, you've still got a lot to learn about appealing to th...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

To be fair the exact same derailment can often be accomplished by, say, mentioning the concept of privilege, or the word feminism. At a certain point, avoiding derailment means avoiding having the discussion at all, which is incidentally the entire point of derailing in the first place: to prevent ...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

PM: In this discussion, "mansplain" was first used in the Colorlines.com article, whose target audience is not XKCD-forum-goers. It was used a single time in the article, in the middle of a list of other things. (ETA: And none of the comments at the bottom of the article refers to it.) To...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

Since the word "mansplaining" was used, how much time and effort have gone into discussing its validity as a term, and how much time and effort have gone into discussing feminism, or its goals, or its relation to the Adria Richards debacle, or the debacle itself? Using the term is an insta...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

Maybe it's a shitty idea to throw around words like brogramming and mansplaining in discussions with people who disagree with the overall point by sheer virtue of the fact that it makes the discussion entirely about how valid brogramming and mansplaining are as descriptive terminology. If they're us...
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Do You Care About Privacy? You're Lying.
Replies: 23
Views: 3594

Re: Do You Care About Privacy? You're Lying.

This seems to look at people skimming past user agreements and concludes that people don't really care about privacy. It's not that people don't care, it's that reading user agreements is tedious. Not to mention the prospect of keeping straight the nuances of every privacy policy for every site one ...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6424
Views: 936612

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Tyndmyr wrote:It leaves me with the niggling feeling that all it takes is a cop asking his buddy to call in a "tip" to entirely negate due process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94&t=50s
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Wiley sues student for infringing copyright on resold book
Replies: 489
Views: 37475

Re: Wiley sues student for infringing copyright on resold bo

J Thomas wrote:Poor people need cheap stuff. If you give them stuff that they can afford that's too good for them, it will only cause trouble.


Image
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Mundane cellphone cameras... of the future!
Replies: 8
Views: 2313

Re: Mundane cellphone cameras... of the future!

That said, I wonder how you are supposed to market these new cameras if you put them in a cellphone... most people only look at megapixels to determine which phone is better. That's because most people don't research beyond advertisements, and buy into the marketing hype. It's not that people are p...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Stop making arguments that boil down to "other people don't think so". Seriously. The entire point of what you're arguing against, Lucrece, is that it's detrimental to society to base the goals of our justice system around the desire to punish wrongdoers. All you're doing is saying "...
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 14855
Views: 2316472

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Color me disgusted that official public servants are making light of the death penalty.
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 25429

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

-Making high school locker room jokes in any situation is fine; so long as you're taking proper care to share it only with your intended audience who will be amused and that it won't reach anyone who will be hurt/upset/angry FTFY I wrote and posted this response, but I'm not actually sure about it ...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Lucrece, would you mind directly answering this question? Elaborate as much you like, but your last reply didn't address it. Would you object to a system that allowed a criminal to be released when it's determined he can add value to society and won't commit another crime, and also provided all nece...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Who here is actually defending the sex offender registry? Being uncharitable toward rapists does not mean you agree with all the punishment. But I argue that to an extent retribution is not a bad part of the system if you're going to give a damn about victims. Because telling a victim "the guy...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Wiley sues student for infringing copyright on resold book
Replies: 489
Views: 37475

Re: Wiley sues student for infringing copyright on resold bo

Obviously society is better off if drug companies make more money. Nope! Turns out DRUG COMPANIES are better off if drug companies make more money. Society, not necessarily. I learned recently that Jonas Salk declined to patent his polio vaccine and instead chose to make it publicly available. I ha...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Most sexual assaults including rape involve some form of abuse of power. And what about the sexual assaults that involve...having one's junk exposed in public in order to urinate, because public bathrooms don't exist outside of commercial establishments or transit stations? Keep in mind that when y...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Sorry, stupid typo. Meant as a teacher or something else with kids. Um. I'm still not following. How are the kids in danger from a "sex offender?" I mean, if we're talking about a pedophile, I can understand. But a sex offender who assaulted or raped someone their own age can hardly be re...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

CorruptUser wrote:Hiring a sex offender is obviously negligence
Wat.
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Lucrece wrote:I'd like to hear from someone proposing that they would have had this teary-eyed epiphany were they not in a courtroom facing jail time).
Don't hold your breath waiting to see anyone here make that argument. Try turning on the news though.
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 21416

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

I absolutely agree that the system that produces such people deserves examination. I think maybe we can start with examining the propensity of our society to confer godhood status on ass heads that do ball tricks. And now we, too, are in agreement. Why all these qualms about the poor little souls w...

Go to advanced search