Search found 609 matches

by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I'm not understanding jpk's argument - it seems to me that he's arguing that the ethical thing for people who oppose Prop 8 to do is to donate money to the next Prop 8 campaign that comes around. Okay, not donate directly, but indirectly by giving money to someone who they know is likely to donate ...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Except for the fact that the path you describe has never been used solely and successfully for justice. Equality has never been achieved that way. What you are suggesting simply has never worked and will likely never work. We can argue the history of the civil rights movement some other time, I sup...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And you're still confused by the fact that nobody ever has said that Eich should not have been allowed or should have been prevented from donating to Prop 8. That's the crux you're missing. And once he did donate, I'm allowed to exercise my right to stop supporting him. If I owned a business, and b...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I disagree with those who claim that the boycott was an attempt to suppress Eich's freedom of speech; There are two subtle points of confusion here. First of all, the issue is not so much about his freedom of speech, but his freedom of conscience. He has a belief (which, once again, I find repellen...
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:55 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1360: "Old Files"
Replies: 108
Views: 23742

Re: 1360: "Old Files"

Bonooru1234 wrote:Why is he deleting Animorphs? I liked those books.



I can't tell if it's that it's animorphs fan fic, or that it's in .rtf
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1360: "Old Files"
Replies: 108
Views: 23742

Re: 1360: "Old Files"

I believe that I've got data on my pre-current machine that dates back to 1988. That particular archive hasn't made it onto my most recent machine yet, so there's a chance I might break that chain. We'll see.
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

jpk wrote:Write on. Some days you're the only person on this board making any damned sense at all.



or,
should I say

a writer that makes you stop and wonder
what the hell they're trying to say
makes you stop and wonder

And that is a gift.
by jpk
Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

[A poem I can't understand :/] I can barely understand your comments :/ It's so hard to read those weird small lines and try to extract meaning from them, maybe because I'm not a native English speaker. I am sorry I am difficult to read. I am capable of writing long sentences, with clauses. I also ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Can you point to any person or any group of people who is more free now because of this business? Every gay child ostracized by their parents, their family, their community can see one more big time example of the American public saying that "no, bigotry is not right. You do belong. We will fi...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Assuming you would agree that the legalization of same-sex marriage amounts to an increase in freedom/rights for gay couples, then one answer would be: gay couples of the present (and future), who live in states where they can't marry, but might be able to in the future. This is because moments lik...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Is this a joke? There is a party being ganged up upon here, but it's not rich, straight white guys like Eich. People standing up for gays and demanding they be acknowledged as human is a reaction to centuries of gays being "ganged up on." Oh, please. Nobody was standing up for anyone here...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

What do you mean by that? They appointed him as CEO, so clearly they had the freedom to do that! What's confusing about this. Ok, let's break it down again because it's still a very difficult topic: >be a non profit with principles and values >appoint new CEO >new CEO found out to be homophobic and...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

New fact: Eich's bigotted actions were enough to embarass the company and cause a segment of their userbase to decide to not use their product. Presumably they had previously thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The reaction from their customers gave them a basis to reconsider his suitability...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

also, it may have been known theoretically, but not considered. That is so, no "if" about it. If you're not clear on the details of the story, probably you shouldn't be trying to make arguments about it. It was not "known theoretically and not considered" - it had been brought t...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

if, being notified of a mistake, you take correctivce actions, that is a noble reaction. Bullshit walking. There was no mistake made. They knew who they were hiring, and they thought he was the right guy. Are you intentionally trying to rewrite the story, or are you simply unable to remember back t...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

jpk, you haven't answered any of the other points made. His actions and values were at odds with the values of the organization he was in. This was made public and he decided to remove himself from that. You are completely ignoring the freedom of association Mozilla has, and you and people who argu...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

So yeah, in that sense, I'm saying that you don't have a right to impose financial or professional "consequences" on someone else for the crime of having an opinion, just as they don't have the right to do the same to you . What do you mean with "professional consequences?f I have a ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

How about we look at it the other way. When JCPenney put up pro-gay-rights ads, would it be wrong to support them because of the ads? If so, why? If not, why can political speech be rewarded but not punished? I think you'd be a little bit stupid to support them because of those ads. You do business...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

addams wrote:Besides; We all have the bumper Sticker. (right?)
Protect Freedom of Speech!
That's how we Know who the AssHoles are.


+1.
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:13 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

So, to be perfectly clear, are you saying no one should face consequences for their speech? I am saying that you, like any other citizen, have the right to participate in politics without fear of reprisal, and you do not have the right to deprive any other person of that right. More generally, you ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Do you not know what the Bill of Rights is? Did you never learn it in school. The ONLY freedom of speech we have comes ONLY as protection from GOVERNMENT censorship (and not even then in limited circumstances). There is NO other "freedom of speech." You've never actually read the bill of ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Of course they don't want consequences because they're terrified that one day everyone will realize they're horrible people because apparently knowing how to be a decent human being and not a fucking bigot is too nebulous a concept for them. Just out of curiosity, who's this "they"? Am I ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

avocadoowl wrote:What the fuck do you think Prop 8 was all about?


Prop 8 was about a bunch of bigots trying to prevent people from enjoying the same civil rights that Eich enjoys. And your point is?
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

You don't want consequences when you are found out denying human rights? You don't want consequences when you are found out fucking and shitting over someone else? Of course this is complete and utter nonsense. He denied nobody any rights. He exercised his right to speech. If you disagree, go thou ...
by jpk
Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Freedom of speech ONLY comes from the government. To say otherwise is to argue for an entirely different society than the one we live in. This was already addressed quite well early in the thread. Simple answer: no, not true. I'll ask you. If a neo-nazi was just appointed CEO of a company, am I not...
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

to paraphrase: eichs right to swing his bigotted arm ends where it hits gay noses. Suppose Eich had been targeted by a crowd of anti-abortion activists for supporting a pro-choice political campaign? Would you still believe that he should have been punished for his beliefs? If he was acting as spok...
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

speising wrote:to paraphrase: eichs right to swing his bigotted arm ends where it hits gay noses.


Suppose Eich had been targeted by a crowd of anti-abortion activists for supporting a pro-choice political campaign? Would you still believe that he should have been punished for his beliefs?
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

nobody told eich to shut up. I'm going to be nice and say that this is rather disingenuous. i could also have said that a) you haven't read the comic or at least still don't understand what free speech means and b) their views are not against even your definition of free speech. just against free a...
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

speising wrote:nobody told eich to shut up.


I'm going to be nice and say that this is rather disingenuous.
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Simpler still: either you believe in the right of people to express their views peacefully, or you do not. If you do not, then you should exercise your beliefs, and shut the hell up. When people call for a boycott that also falls under free speech you know. And boycotts also happen to be peaceful. ...
by jpk
Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 159836

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Twenty pages of comments? WTF? It's amazing how complicated people try to make this issue. It's really quite simple: if you believe in freedom of conscience and freedom of speech, then you do not believe in calling for penalties to be levied on someone for something they say - even if you disagree w...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

This is seriously off-topic though so whatever Yes. But the topic is seriously not that interesting. I mean, really, haven't we all kind of gotten over the PUA people by now? They're a bunch of pathetic drippy little men hoping that they'll learn to be cool by watching someone else be cool in a vid...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Weeks wrote:So you admit that you are trolling.


[url="http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/troll.html"]Not in the sense that I've always understood the term[/url] (see sense 1), but clearly you mean something different. What is it you mean by the term?
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Yes, it has been tiresome ever since you started it. You are, after all, the one who first made this little tiff personal for no apparent reason other than your desire to bring up my behavior in another thread. In an effort to dismiss my argument here as the result of my own personality flaws, whic...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

]Yup, because someone who swears at idiots on the Internet is totally the exact same thing as someone who flips a table when he doesn't get a job. No one acts differently with peers online than they do with employers in person, after all. So you're saying you think you could hold it together throug...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

For clarity, it seems PeteP mostly pointed out that you used the perceived usage of an argumentum ad hominem as an argumentum ad hominem and then laced it with a lot of insults and wanted to troll you in the process. You can do as you like. As I said, I'm going to assume he wasn't being an ass. (on...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

The problem is, interviewers would have no way of knowing that ahead of time, and would probably learn from experience that far more people react like angry American Idol rejects than react well to that sort of bluntness. Based on the number of ad hominem and obscenity-laced responses I see from yo...
by jpk
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:00 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

The problem is, interviewers would have no way of knowing that ahead of time, and would probably learn from experience that far more people react like angry American Idol rejects than react well to that sort of bluntness. Based on the number of ad hominem and obscenity-laced responses I see from yo...
by jpk
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Uh, demisexuality and sapiosexuality have nothing to do with gender. Demisexuality means you're only sexually attracted to people with whom you already have a strong bond (of some sort), sapiosexuality means you're attracted to intelligence. I wonder if there's a word for people who are turned on b...
by jpk
Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 100005

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Do you really think it would feel good for anyone involved if a job interviewer tells you to your face, immediately after the interview you prepared and worked hard for, "You know, you don't actually sound like you'd be good at this job, so we definitely won't be calling you later"? Of co...

Go to advanced search