Search found 609 matches

by jpk
Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1325: "Rejection"
Replies: 515
Views: 99972

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Psychologically, we're statistically virtually identical in most measures. The OkCupid blog , for example, suggests that men find photos of women smiling at them most attractive, while women find photos of men looking away from the camera and not smiling most attractive. Never mind the sampling bia...
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

I don't know Zylon didn't intend that, though, because what they apparently did intend was already pretty ignorant on its face. Self-styled grammar mavens and language purists quite frequently have self-contradictory beliefs about how language does and/or should work, so how are we supposed to know...
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1324:"Weather"
Replies: 76
Views: 17060

Re: 1324:"Weather"

If you care, you already know. That's... actually a worse response to a question than "just f-ing google it". Just as unhelpful, with a good helping of snobbish passive-aggression thrown in, without the justification of getting tired of people asking google-able questions. Actually, it's ...
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1324:"Weather"
Replies: 76
Views: 17060

Re: 1324:"Weather"

Could we change the subtitle to "x geeks have it tough" for any x where x is some subject most people have a casual interest in? For instance, once you start geeking out over detailed specs of smartphones (voltages, clocks, wiring details like cache size/speed or instruction sets) you get...
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

Sure, but Zylon insists that clear communication is paramount, so pardon us for taking that post literally instead of adding all this additional subjective interpretation of what the words really might have meant. No, sorry. "Taking people literally" is usually, and in this case, an exerc...
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1324:"Weather"
Replies: 76
Views: 17060

Re: 1324:"Weather"

Helldrake wrote:Can we get some weather geeks in here to clarify what he's saying?



If you care, you already know.
by jpk
Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1324:"Weather"
Replies: 76
Views: 17060

Re: 1324:"Weather"

No. They don't. Really, if the worst thing you have to put up with in your day is "people don't care about your personal obsessions" then you're doing A-OK.
by jpk
Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 83640

Re: 1321: "Cold"

Neither. I am joining others in labeling this proposal as racist and a form of eugenics, deciding which people get to have children and which do not. You haven't cited a proposal at all. You've cited an opinion piece that contains exactly two words from Gore, published in an outlet known essentiall...
by jpk
Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:41 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

Or consider the plight of a future linguist trying to make sense of "milkmaid", "soda jerk", "cable guy", and "girly man". I had to google "soda jerk." Don't make us tell you to get offa our monoculture biomasses in front of our personal repose encl...
by jpk
Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:38 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 83640

Re: 1321: "Cold"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle It's just unfortunate that so many global warming enthusiasts have so much hidden agenda. Al Gore as worst offender. And he supports eugenics to combat global warning. What a guy. Wait, whut? Are you saying that population control is the...
by jpk
Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

Or consider the plight of a future linguist trying to make sense of "milkmaid", "soda jerk", "cable guy", and "girly man". I had to google "soda jerk." You didn't reach for your dictionary? (the best thing about dictionaries: when I went to confirm ...
by jpk
Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

The comic text reminds me of the kind of neologisms that children make. Also, Uncleftish Beholding was awesome. I remember coming across that in a back issue of one of the SF magazines when I was in high school - it must have been Analog, I suppose, unless I'm wrong. Absolutely blew my mind. I show...
by jpk
Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1322: Winter
Replies: 125
Views: 26828

Re: 1322: Winter

1. German (has the largest vocabulary) Interesting. I wonder if that's because it has the largest actual vocabulary, or because the language (IIRC) keeps adding smaller words together to make new words, when English keeps them separate. ("Betäubungsmittelverschreibungsverordnung" vs. &quo...
by jpk
Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:13 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Where are you getting "throw the book at him" from anything in my posts? All I know she did is bring the story to the attention of administration. Nothing in that sentence implies that she even wanted him punished at all, let alone have the book thrown at him (i.e. suspended in this case)...
by jpk
Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Lots of schools have completely asinine zero tolerance policies with regard to anything even edging on weapons or violence, so it's entirely possible that the teacher had literally nothing to say on the matter after they decided this situation fit whatever definitions they set for the policy. Fair ...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:47 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

As far as I know, the teacher didn't make the decision to suspend the student, so I'm not sure why you're laying that at her feet. If she wasn't comfortable confronting the student directly, which was probably the case if she felt threatened at all, who should she have gone to instead of her higher...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:41 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

So you're saying it's so obviously true, you don't have to worry that there isn't actually any reason to believe it? ("It" here is the claim that "such a story is evidence of actual intent to do harm", not "such a story will make someone feel threatened") Was Eebster t...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Alternate bottom point: Don't write a story for a teacher about how a student murders and dismembers a teacher. Or if you do write that, don't be surprised when there are consequences for it. I think that this is a good bottom point for someone who's achieved a level of maturity beyond what we can ...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:38 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1317: "Theft"
Replies: 60
Views: 11419

Re: 1317: "Theft"

Which is exactly my point. Thanks for proving it. Wait, there was a point? So, you are confirming than when you were writing: I think "the sort that quibbles over the definition of a simple word in the hopes of proving a point" is not what I had in mind, but thanks for trying to define by...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:37 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Yes, it is fairly obvious that a student writing a story for a teacher to read about a student murdering a teacher will probably feel threatening to the teacher. Yes, it's obvious that it will feel threatening to the teacher. Not the question, though. What someone feels is threatening is very diffe...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:31 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

And again with the playing dumb (i.e. trolling) or actually being dumb (i.e. moron). And again with the personal attacks. Do these really help your argument, or do they just make you feel better about yourself? Perhaps therapy would be more useful than shouting at people on the webs. First of all, ...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:12 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Eebster the Great wrote:You don't need evidence that a student submitting a story about another student killing his teacher is threatening.


So you're saying it's so obviously true, you don't have to worry that there isn't actually any reason to believe it?
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

The point, once again, is not whether there is an actual statistically significant difference. I would hope that actual evidence would have a role in this discussion. and moreover can often reasonably be expected to feel threatening That is exactly the question I was raising. A student writes somet...
by jpk
Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

I might well have written something vaguely similar as a schoolkid - partly knowing that I'd never do something like what was described, and partly as an intellectual challenge... Yes, I think many of us might have done. Those weren't stories that I particularly would have written, but I knew kids ...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

There are also considerations that you seem unwilling to take on board, such as whether the student's submission might have been an honest attempt to complete an assignment in a creative but not-well-considered way, and whether a more measured response might have served all sides better. Actually, ...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 83640

Re: 1321: "Cold"

If the language is taught well, you do this by explaining the idea of the stack and the heap, which naturally leads you to aliasing. Just because you can't manipulate a pointer directly doesn't mean you can't show them working - for example, by setting two different pointers to one mutable object a...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Something isn't nice or mean only because of the words used. The implications of the post were what I took issue with. I have female coworkers who have had male students write extraordinarily creepy things in their classes, and the suggestion that they were being whiny and overreactive when they fe...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 83640

Re: 1321: "Cold"

I guess I'd do the same thing and use a different symbol again, maybe x &= y. In an approach that tries to hide the existence of pointers from the programmer, you need to convey that what's being done is a little tricky: you're saying "make x refer to the same object as y". I'd be int...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:06 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"
Replies: 95
Views: 21082

Re: What-If 0080: "Pile of Viruses"

Your post wasn't magically nicer or more civil just because you didn't use naughty words. Actually, it was much nicer and more civil. You just didn't like the ideas in it. See, here's the post you responded to: Although, sadly, it rarely works out that way. I still recall a news story from the mid-...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1317: "Theft"
Replies: 60
Views: 11419

Re: 1317: "Theft"

Kit. wrote:Which is exactly my point. Thanks for proving it.


Wait, there was a point? Could you just show me what it was and where you made it?

Clearly you think you've done something very clever, but I'll be damned if I can see what it is. Can you help me out?
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1317: "Theft"
Replies: 60
Views: 11419

Re: 1317: "Theft"

Look at the scope of the adjective a little more carefully. It applies to the cult, not to its members. "Idiot" is a noun. Also quite commonly used as an adjective. For example "Get out of here and take your idiot friends with you". Please don't play the pedant if you can't brin...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1317: "Theft"
Replies: 60
Views: 11419

Re: 1317: "Theft"

The kind that avoids calling others "idiots" and doesn't take itself too seriously. Look at the scope of the adjective a little more carefully. It applies to the cult, not to its members. I think if you spend a few minutes looking at it, you'll find that your cult is indeed idiotic, which...
by jpk
Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1317: "Theft"
Replies: 60
Views: 11419

Re: 1317: Theft

cellocgw wrote:we are not supposed to use "real-world" time units in the OTT



Good gravy - what sort of idiot cult are you people putting together here?
by jpk
Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: New to Coding
Replies: 101
Views: 139537

Re: New to Coding

Java schools? Don't get me started on what I have to teach people we hire from Java schools. Oh, please!. Don't jump on the Spolsky bandwagon - it was a stupid meme when he started it, and it's still as stupid as ever. You'll complain just as much about the products of js schools or haskell schools...
by jpk
Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1316: "Inexplicable"
Replies: 99
Views: 16406

Re: 1316: "Inexplicable"

Wooloomooloo wrote:I'm just going to postulate that any sufficiently advanced (complex) logic is indistinguishable from randomness.


First time I've seen it claimed that the smlnj compiler is advanced technology.
by jpk
Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:57 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1312: "Haskell"
Replies: 70
Views: 19959

Re: 1312: "Haskell"

Learn You a Haskell's code should totally work, except a few parts which are slightly outdated. The "Learn you a haskell" book is one of the reasons I've never yet felt any temptation to try the language. The language's users, as a group, constitute another reason. Life's too short to spe...
by jpk
Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1320:"Walmart"
Replies: 28
Views: 12424

1320:"Walmart"

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/walmart.png title="What I really want is to hang out where I hung out with my friends in college, but have all my older relatives there too." I think the big mistake is thinking that you can "hang out" or "interact" on a web site.
by jpk
Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: 2013 XKCD Store Images
Replies: 19
Views: 7123

Re: XKCD Store Images

We've been keeping track of them over in the OTT while we Wait for it. mscha has collected most of the banners. They appear in series. Right now the site is returning banners with "J#" in their filenames, or Series J. I hate to say it, but you really need to get professional help at this ...
by jpk
Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1299: "I Don't Own a TV"
Replies: 99
Views: 17876

Re: 1299: "I Don't Own a TV"

That graph might not quite be right - I can't really think of a time when proclaiming not owning a TV would have been just... neutral. I'd say there's a discontinuity there, when a vague embarrassment suddenly flipped into smugness, without passing through zero at all; or worse yet, some sort of &q...
by jpk
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1251: "Anti-Glass"
Replies: 147
Views: 26389

Re: 1251: "Anti-Glass"

eran_rathan wrote:
clockworkbookreader wrote:So.... Hiro Protagonist CAN go 'totally gargoyle' now... AND there's a defense.

Excellent.


You get +1 internets for the Snow Crash reference.


Rant: why is that not a movie yet?!?!



Because after the pizza delivery, the book sucks.

Go to advanced search