Search found 515 matches

by Vash
Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Most-Racial America
Replies: 78
Views: 16153

Re: Most-Racial America

WaPo isn't calling them out because they're white men signing a letter. It's calling them out because it's overwhelmingly white men leading this attack. Just like there's nothing wrong with one white CEO, it's 99/100 CEOs being white that's a problem. So, you're saying that white men are overrepres...
by Vash
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0985: "Percentage Points"
Replies: 85
Views: 25617

Re: 0985: "Percentage Points"

savanik wrote:I mean, no politician would ever say "smaller dick => bigger income tax", 'cause they'd be raising the taxes on themselves.

There actually is a correlation between smaller penis and more money. I'll just leave this here.[/quote]

Measurement error!
by Vash
Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0985: "Percentage Points"
Replies: 85
Views: 25617

Re: 0985: "Percentage Points"

So what's the subtext? Whatever issue spawned this, I must not have followed it too closely. Basically, 'Plunged by 19%' means that it went down to 1%. However, because of the wording, some people might interpret it as having lost 1%, and that now his popularity is at 19%. The point is, plunged by ...
by Vash
Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0985: "Percentage Points"
Replies: 85
Views: 25617

Re: 0985: "Percentage Points"

americablanco wrote:Meh... seventh grade mathematics. :shrugs:


Usted no es de los Estados Unidos? Nosotros no tenemos educación de matematica muy buena.
by Vash
Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitude
Replies: 66
Views: 9563

Re: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitu

CorruptUser wrote:I hear they are replacing the sawdust with ordinary wood.


Hershey's chocolate, now with that original woodblock flavor.

CorruptUser wrote:Fine, typing about it in an online forum...


No, saying talking is good enough. I just meant we weren't talking about it. I don't believe we are.
by Vash
Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

I'm not really sure this is the place to discuss, and I'm not trying to convince you that one or the other is better, and I can promise you that you can't convince me having used both. I know which I prefer, and I know why. I'm happy Android works well for you. It didn't for me, and now I'm back to...
by Vash
Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Goodbye Yue Yue
Replies: 58
Views: 6505

Re: Goodbye Yue Yue

Soralin wrote:Well, then that leads to the obvious conclusion: civil court is unjust, and should therefore be altered to make it so. (Note, "just" and "legal" do not mean the same thing)


In a sense, civil court is more justified because science is incomplete.
by Vash
Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitude
Replies: 66
Views: 9563

Re: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitu

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:I'd recommend boycotting Hershey's also on account of their chocolate tasting like cocoa mixed with sawdust.

That's because they are cocoa mixed with sawdust.


In fact, they've slowly been replacing the cocoa butter with sawdust.
by Vash
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Goodbye Yue Yue
Replies: 58
Views: 6505

Re: Goodbye Yue Yue

I'm extremely lazy, so if I can overcome the bystander effect it pretty much means that there's no excuse for anybody else. People have to know the bystander effect to overcome it, I think. It also takes bravery and force of will for most people. You have a lot of both of those things, which is goo...
by Vash
Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitude
Replies: 66
Views: 9563

Re: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitu

Wait a sec, you really don't think the rest of the world doesn't treat their unskilled workers like shit? I could go the easy route and point to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, or just about any other "developing" country, but I like a challenge; Britain does the same crap to the Poli...
by Vash
Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:13 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitude
Replies: 66
Views: 9563

Re: Hershey forces exchange students into indentured servitu

Gotta get indentured servants from somewhere.
by Vash
Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: New Research: Autism is likely Genetic
Replies: 82
Views: 10139

Re: New Research: Autism is likely Genetic

In 2007, CSHL Prof. Michael Wigler revealed that some children with autism have a small deletion on chromosome 16, affecting 27 genes in a region of our genomes referred to as 16p11.2 It's cool, but we already knew that certain gene defects were correlated with autism. And not all people diagnosed ...
by Vash
Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Billion Tonne Comet May Have Missed Earth By A Few Hundred K
Replies: 21
Views: 3856

Re: Billion Tonne Comet May Have Missed Earth By A Few Hundr

At least no one calls them tuns. Except me. Right now.

I do like how tunnes looks, kinda. No, nevermind. Still painful.
by Vash
Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: A Win For The Scientific Method
Replies: 102
Views: 11485

Re: A Win For The Scientific Method

One could also just be insulting the opposing argument by demonstrating its worst form. First post was a troll post, though.

Also, I think this is great, but I still don't think it will convince skeptics. Surely, it will be somewhat useful for doing so, however.
by Vash
Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:49 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 320771

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

I can straight up remember any password for quite a long time with memorization repeated over a few days. I think we are underrating human memory.
by Vash
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:54 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

I didn't imply that Windows was any less secure. Let me put it in a different metaphor. During the recent Blackberry Messenger blackouts, the number 1 spot for complaint is, naturally, one's carrier. They took a huge part of the blame for a system they never actually had control over. Several had t...
by Vash
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0967: Prairie
Replies: 117
Views: 29721

Re: 0967: Prairie

I'm disappointed. I expect more from NASA than stick figures shopped on top of a picture of a grain field.
by Vash
Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: How'd you come up with your username(s)?
Replies: 1405
Views: 245774

Re: How'd you come up with your username(s)?

I tried to come up with a single, one-word, straightforward username of something popular that I liked.
by Vash
Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Just married!
Replies: 65
Views: 7644

Re: Just married!

Homeslice, I congratulate you!
by Vash
Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

I'm sure Steve has done a bunch of stuff, but I think he's overrated. Apple marketing and fans have created this kind of myth or legend that is Steve jobs. The famous ppt talk, the look. Yes the iPhone revolutionzed things and so will the iPad probably too. The whole "internet in your pocket&q...
by Vash
Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked
Replies: 53
Views: 10294

Re: Unedited Wikileaks cables accidentally leaked

I just came across this cable in the wikileaks archive, ID - 08BAGHDAD1454. It explains the dangers faced by the nine remaining Jews in Baghdad, how some of the community have been killed in recent years, and names them all. 10. (S) Moualim also provided her opinion as to why the other eigh...
by Vash
Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

But yeah, Steve AppleJobs made really user-friendly products with great design. Customizing geeks just aren't the target. Absolute this. This is the bit missing from all the "Mac vs. PC" debates: they serve different purposes. I wouldn't get a Mac desktop: I always build my own. But for a...
by Vash
Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)
Replies: 195
Views: 22252

Re: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)

Watching the TED talk and reading through some of the data, I can see his (Steven Pinker's) point concerning the decline of violence, though my position wasn't that uncivilized societies are less violent; only that industrialization supplies the tools for humans to kill with far greater efficiency ...
by Vash
Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)
Replies: 195
Views: 22252

Re: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)

What I'm saying is that a draft that excludes women for the purpose of maintaining population stability is a compelling argument only if you're a nativist; not if you're anyone else. I disagree for certain nations other than the United States. You can just plain have serious population decline, lik...
by Vash
Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: NASA!: It Rained So Hard the Oceans Fell and more
Replies: 23
Views: 3729

Re: NASA!: It Rained So Hard the Oceans Fell and more

This is one of the most fascinating experiments in history.

poxic wrote:I ... don't think it's profitable to take the other side of that bet. :(


Goldman Sachs will make money off of it.
by Vash
Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Amanda Knox Trial
Replies: 55
Views: 8605

Re: Amanda Knox Trial

ibgdude wrote:I'm going to go on an alleged murder rampage!


I'm going to allegedly murder so many people that entire towns will be allegedly murdered. We should allegedly conspire.
by Vash
Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)
Replies: 195
Views: 22252

Re: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)

gmalivuk wrote:Maybe try reading the rest of the post you just quoted?


Oops. lol

I had, but didn't connect it when I went back to the post again.
by Vash
Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)
Replies: 195
Views: 22252

Re: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)

Sir Hotzenplotz wrote:under 15 years: 1.04 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.27 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 1.03 male(s)/female


I'm curious as to what causes this trend.
by Vash
Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Minidisc criticism has a lot of 20-20 hindsight in it. When it came on the market, PCs couldn't handle music, hard disks had less space than a minidisk, CD burning appeared to be unreliable and expensive, and the internet was used by scientists. Their market changed fundamentally changed before min...
by Vash
Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)
Replies: 195
Views: 22252

Re: Why men are in trouble (CNN Op-Ed)

The point this article makes is valid and has been made before, but unholy damn is the way it's made god-awful. The data does not bode well for men. In 1970, men earned 60% of all college degrees. In 1980, the figure fell to 50%, by 2006 it was 43%. Women now surpass men in college degrees by almost...
by Vash
Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: RIP Steve Jobs
Replies: 210
Views: 29295

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

A man dying is sad; though, he may not be a hero. An important businessman with a wonderful sense of design and marketing. I have honor for who he was.
by Vash
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15189
Views: 2704233

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Magnanimous wrote:Scientists attempt to create most annoying song possible

This happened three years ago, but it's too great not to post. I don't know if I'd call it annoying... I don't think there's yet an adjective for this. o_o


I think they missed the point, but it's definitely interesting.
by Vash
Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0958: "Hotels"
Replies: 107
Views: 32560

Re: 0958: "Hotels"

SMBC did a comic on that yesterday, now xkcd. Anybody else think that comic would have been even better if they had cut out the last panel? I absolutely agree. The comic was very amusing all the way through, but in the last panel it became a lame, tired "lol economists suck" joke. I don't...
by Vash
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:34 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0958: "Hotels"
Replies: 107
Views: 32560

Re: 0958: "Hotels"

So, it sounds like a pretty solid case that having people be paid instead of just having pure altruism might not always be the best idea.

I just think "you'll want to use what are called 'fractions'" is the perfect punch line.


Yeah, true. It's a great one.
by Vash
Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:28 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most excellent times
Replies: 5132
Views: 922713

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Oh, I did get around to finishing the series. I thought it was really good overall, but the finale left me wanting. Also, the super obvious Christian overtones were a bit annoying. Yeah, the finale was not perfect. I still enjoy it a lot, though. Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to think about the Chr...
by Vash
Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:19 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0958: "Hotels"
Replies: 107
Views: 32560

Re: 0958: "Hotels"

Presumably guilt was a better disincentive than a small fine, and introducing the small fine got rid of the guilt. Is that the example from Freakonomics? I don't remember. Anyway, let's not jump to conclusions so quickly. The fine may not have gotten rid of the guilt. They may have also lost favor ...
by Vash
Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0958: "Hotels"
Replies: 107
Views: 32560

Re: 0958: "Hotels"

A_of_s_t wrote:How does BHG's script get past all the captchas?


Don't captchas mostly only make it hard for people? I was under that impression at least.
by Vash
Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Topman pulls T-shirts with 'sexist and offensive' slogans
Replies: 66
Views: 9856

Re: Topman pulls T-shirts with 'sexist and offensive' slogan

I'll grant you that the red shirt avoids mentioning specific genders. However, when I read the shirt images of domestic violence lept into my mind, most likely because of the tag line below. The fact that people are interpreting it as advocating domestic violence could in part say something about t...
by Vash
Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most excellent times
Replies: 5132
Views: 922713

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Yeah, I've now seen through episode 10 and I'm enjoying it very much. I can't wait to see Vash's background story explained (and Wolfwood's, for that matter).


It's very cool, and quite good. I'm excited just thinking about it.

Go to advanced search