Search found 293 matches

by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future
Replies: 1922
Views: 385658

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

The new Lightning cable that Apple uses isn't keyed, and has rounded edges. It's very easy to put in, in the dark. The laptops use MagSafe, a magnetic connector. They're awesome. You literally cannot damage the connector by pulling on it. It's also not keyed, and easy to put in while blinded. -Crissa
by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1109066

Re: Police misbehavior thread

It seems rather irrelevant whether she was intoxicated at the point that an officer is punching her repeatedly in the face.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: MH17 Shot Down Over Ukraine-Russian Border
Replies: 102
Views: 22079

Re: MH17 Shot Down Over Ukraine-Russian Border

Why should sanctions not be used? Why does it matter if it were Russians or the Russian-backed Ukrainian separatists?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

gmalivuk wrote:Elementary has a bigger audience even when you add in torrents of Game of Thrones, though.

How many people even torrent? Is it a million?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:36 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

Well, for one, Elementary has more viewers than there are HBO subscribers. So the audience for Game of Thrones is highly limited before you get to content.

But I think that wasn't what you meant.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.
Replies: 32
Views: 10799

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Djehutynakht wrote:
morriswalters wrote:And the smell of a fresh bud is pleasurable.

I disagree.

It... Depends. Greatly.

But yeah, mostly it's stinky. Then again, I don't like incense.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 547056

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

Here's another good read, although I'd assume some won't like the take on it:
http://m.forward.com/articles/201764/ho ... ended-war/

-Crissa
by Crissa
Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Israel/Palestine discussion
Replies: 6262
Views: 547056

Re: Israel/Palestine discussion

I was told to stay out of the argument, but this was a good (if short) read:

http://prospect.org/article/moral-respo ... n-conflict

-Crissa
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:48 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

The Bechdel Test doesn't say anything about the relationships, and is a really, really low bar. Two named characters, female, have lines to each other without the subject being a guy. This is hard to do mostly because most lines are relating to the main characters who are, usually, male. But it's a ...
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

Tyr, do you understand that the world is messy, not binary? The example of the tragedy of the commons is the perfect example of why what's good for an individual is not good for the group. Because you repeatedly pop in and contradict, then argue points no one was arguing. Although I'd love to see a ...
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

KrytenKoro wrote:I think Supernatural has passed those, yeah? Definitely the Bechdel at the very least.

What episode would that be?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 366771

Re: Gun Control

It is on topic. It is not about you, it is simply additional topic-relevant news. Now you're just lying to cover up your distraction that you lost the exchange. Gun control does affect suicide rates because it increases the lethality of suicide attempts. No amount of saying that there are other fac...
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:24 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

Well the alternative is that the bulk of humanity are herd animals that need to be dominated by a higher caste (reword to your fancy) because they can't be trusted to make the "correct" choices That is what is called a 'false dichotomy'. It's just a fact - if I were to do what is good for...
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 366771

Re: Gun Control

Why would an off-topic link have anything to do with my argument?

Tyr, that's just... Pitiful. I don't even know what you're expecting that to prove.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:37 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

I would seriously back a plan to make - at least half - the Senate into apportion by party. Our fixation on geography makes dispersed groups too powerless.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: [WARNING: OPINION WITHIN] Black captain america, female thor
Replies: 124
Views: 27172

Re: [WARNING: OPINION WITHIN] Black captain america, female

I'm okay with the heroes being followed up by other heroes.

I'm annoyed at the way Marvel is doing it, though. 'Diversity!' What about all the non-white characters you wrote before?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15142
Views: 2623502

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

A few points though: - US troop numbers in Vietnam can easily be found via a dozen different sources. It's an interesting page, but ultimately tells us nothing about a President's policy or what the troops were doing If you notice, the big buildout happens after the President's death. I don't know ...
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 4532
Views: 696851

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Additionally, one of the problems was that he wasn't following lawful orders. And he was murdering civilians. Yeah, I'm going to throw out here that your statement is superbly stupid. That's what soldiers do when civilians resist the military authority. Like I said, I don't usually go into defendin...
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Congress Robs Pensions to Feed Highway Fund
Replies: 9
Views: 2829

Re: Congress Robs Pensions to Feed Highway Fund

In 1994, the gas tax was under 20% of the cost of a gallon of gas. Today it's closer to 4%.

Why wouldn't we raise the gas tax? At least indexed to inflation? As it is, we're basically paying for 50% less roads today than we were in 1994. That's huge!

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trigger Warning: Cards against Humanity author accused of...
Replies: 33
Views: 8417

Re: Trigger Warning: Cards against Humanity author accused o

If people can only offer the same arguments that apply to a myriad other rape accusation cases, then we already have a myriad of those threads and no dire need for another one. I would say this is different. In this case there isn't a preponderance of evidence that any occurred. Discussing how we s...
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Picture Proof of Moon Landings
Replies: 41
Views: 11906

Re: Picture Proof of Moon Landings

SlyReaper wrote:Off topic, but that site is blocked from my workplace and the reason given is that it contains humour. Of all the jobsworthy reasons they could think of to block it, they chose to block it for containing humour.

A humorless workplace, eh?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Microsoft to lay off 18,000+ employees
Replies: 8
Views: 3489

Re: Microsoft to lay off 18,000+ employees

Yeah, Wall Street loves a good bloodbath of pink slips. They'll be fine.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Google tells music magazine to censor album covers
Replies: 44
Views: 11063

Re: Google tells music magazine to censor album covers

But A) It's not an explicit website and B) they're basically saying their need to sanitize art to a ridiculous degree to become a customer.

Why should I have to abide by the decency standards of India or Nebraska, when I live in Santa Cruz?

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

I know Lucy Liu has an awesome actress from Hong Kong, so there's that. Even so, I know people who harp on the sexual tension in Sherlock and think it's exploitive while saying Elementary has gotten past that. I see it as the reverse. I don't think there's anything wrong with sexual tension or mis-c...
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

If you want both concern about environmental costs... Do you know of a libertarian of that stripe in elected office or leading an environmental think tank? I don't believe there are unicorns. I'm firmly of the view that whats good for the individual is good for the group (note not all individuals.....
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 366771

Re: Gun Control

Tyndmyr wrote:Additionally, while complaining about sniping and lack of citations, you trimmed your quote such to remove the included citation link. Pot, kettle, black.

You can lie about your citation, but it does not say anything to contradict me.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1394: Superm*n
Replies: 82
Views: 15947

Re: 1394: Superm*n

But compared to the population deviation, isn't a 'supermoon' being 5% larger than the average moon more outstanding than for a human to be 5%? 5% taller than the average is like 3" but heights vary much more than that; but moon size doesn't vary as much so 5% is more notable? We'd have to comp...
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]
Replies: 891
Views: 158673

Re: Ukraine Crisis [New Title]

There were reports of Russian troops firing upon rebels as well. This may be troubling, but it's the obvious outcome of fighting - it doesn't respect lines on paper.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Google tells music magazine to censor album covers
Replies: 44
Views: 11063

Re: Google tells music magazine to censor album covers

So does this mean Google is going to censor all the historical libraries that have ad content? Or is this only for the modern artists? It seems hypocritical to try to force others to sanitize pages you're linking to. Music and art isn't always 'proper' in some conservative terms. It's very offensive...
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6884
Views: 1109066

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Hmm, yes, sorry, it was.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 4532
Views: 696851

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Why exactly is a soldier following lawful orders a terrible person? I'm not big on the overly broad allowance to veterans, but sheesh. It's more the US's fault for not tracking down his superior and getting him to go home. The Philippines were a US protectorate at the time, after all, and the US did...
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trigger Warning: Cards against Humanity author accused of...
Replies: 33
Views: 8417

Re: Trigger Warning: Cards against Humanity author accused o

How exactly is this a topic? We literally cannot know anything about it. There is no evidence, it's a decade old, and only rides upon a controversy over admitted dark humor about things which should not be funny. It wouldn't be a conversation piece. It's not a useful accusation. There is no victim i...
by Crissa
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:06 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

Why is it that we constantly argue about what's sustainable in fifty years for conservative spending, but never environmental exploitation? Why is it the policies which 'balance' fifty years always seem to need to be applied today, whether tor not they haven't been applied for the last fifteen years...
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

Tyndmyr wrote:And in ages past, the original would almost certainly have been set primarily in NYC/LA, not in Asia.

Only one part of the movie was in Asia. Alaska, Vancouver, San Francisco are all not in Asia. Hong Kong was used as a Cyberpunk dystopia.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 366771

Re: Gun Control

I notice a lack of citation. Whatever. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23897090 You can continue this sniping, but you don't have any citations. And you're not facing any of the points I brought - I'm not disputing that there are other risks. Repeatedly. -Crissa Fix your markup, too, please.
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

Okay. Not clear? It was positively opaque from this angle. And apparently looked very similar to an argument I've seen in many places

Your clarification is obviously much different than I'd interpreted.

-Crissa
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

it isn't the only cause of many issues its blamed for. Yes, racist outcomes are not all correlated with racist ideals. And probably more important, since it does more damage . Without the outcome being racist, the input is pretty much unimportant. Which is why your straw-feminist teacher was trying...
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?
Replies: 348
Views: 69193

Re: Is White Dominance Exaggerated?

The same reasoning is why there has been a grand total of 2 mainstream holywood films that explicitly are explicitly Christian... So the four that were pushed out this year don't count? The vast number of characters which thank god or have christian morals don't count, either? Such a high bar, turn...
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:04 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The 'third way' experience in political debates
Replies: 237
Views: 42531

Re: The 'third way' experience in political debates

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" implies an adversarial, polemic, or combative debate, and creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") an...
by Crissa
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gun Control
Replies: 2237
Views: 366771

Re: Gun Control

The US has not had the same level of gun control in general...but the suicide level has been remarkably invariant, I notice a lack of citation. Perhaps it's because 'the US' does not have consistent gun laws because most are at the state level? Perhaps because it doesn't support the right-wing posi...

Go to advanced search