Search found 1191 matches

by warriorness
Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:25 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: 'Stewardesses' is allegedly the longest English word that
Replies: 283
Views: 46131

'Stewardesses' is allegedly the longest English word that

can be typed with only the left hand.

I realized something just now, though. If you count "carebearstare" as a word, then it wins by a letter.
by warriorness
Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: That's why they call it a 'unit'
Replies: 29
Views: 6923

But don't you go buying and selling cars for cycles per second. Cycles are much more environmentally friendly, for a start. I think I just died on the inside. Technically, you could measure anything in nepers or decibels, simply by measuring it against whatever you want. Now I just got the idea to ...
by warriorness
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0209: "Kayak"
Replies: 53
Views: 23655

no-genius wrote:
warriorness wrote:I'm a relaxed empiricist


I've never taken a formal philosophy course before; thanks for defining that for me so I didn't have to go look it up for myself.

*looks it up*

Cool, I learned a new useful phrase today.
by warriorness
Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:37 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0209: "Kayak"
Replies: 53
Views: 23655

It was the whole Ruler of the Universe scene that got me thinking about solipsism. My philosophy is identical to that of the Ruler (and Tractor as well) excepting only the difference in what we accept as truth. While the Ruler accepts nothing as truth due to lack of complete evidence, I choose to ac...
by warriorness
Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:11 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Groaners - The new "Nerdy Jokes" thread
Replies: 41
Views: 11189



This wins so hard
by warriorness
Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0209: "Kayak"
Replies: 53
Views: 23655

Image

I hope this doesn't make me a bad person
by warriorness
Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:38 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0207: "What xkcd Means"
Replies: 482
Views: 75066

Oh another crazy thing I do: when I'm bored, I'll imagine I'm talking to people and make up all the scenarios that are the most likely, so when I encounter them, it's simpler. Oooh, yeah, I do those imaginary scenarios too, though they never actually happen. me too. And sometimes I imagine totally ...
by warriorness
Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Nerdy Pet Peeves
Replies: 445
Views: 113321

Here's another big one: Why is it improper to put punctuation outside of quotation marks? Example Bob said that the English language is "stupid", but Jane disagrees. makes more sense, since the comma is not necessarily part of the string (i.e., what Bob said verbatum), but the proper way i...
by warriorness
Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0208: "Regular Expressions"
Replies: 60
Views: 21632

tylerni7 wrote:/Wooo*!* I [l[o|u]ve?|<3] regex[!|1|one|eleven]*/i


"luve" would work for that one, and nobody uses that. Try [love|luv|<3] (or with a nested bracket if two | in a row isn't allowed).
by warriorness
Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:25 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0208: "Regular Expressions"
Replies: 60
Views: 21632

My question is: What is the significance of the alt text?
Wait, forgot to escape a space. Wheeeeee[taptaptap]eeeeee.

Does it imply that only two keystrokes (see original comic) plus three more to correct an error are necessary for the regex?

EDIT: typo
by warriorness
Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0207: "What xkcd Means"
Replies: 482
Views: 75066

Re: 11 and the microwave

I hope that usually entering times in the microwave that are multiples of 11 also counts as xkcd. bonus points for doing 88 when you want a minute and thirty seconds I almost do that. Instead, I sometimes find a number close to the recommended time that I'm superstitious about - for example, 42 - a...
by warriorness
Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0204: "America"
Replies: 19
Views: 11072

Many years later, on January 1, 2007, the online webcomic XKCD referenced the incident on a (very sparse) time line of United States history, stating that "America must never forget" and that "The younger folk in the audience think this is a joke." [3] Wow, people sure are fast.
by warriorness
Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Pictures that make you say "WTF"
Replies: 142
Views: 31531

Aoeniac wins because he uses a fixed-width font, which allows the graphics to be transmitted in their original text form without risk of loss. Fixed width doesn't allow for as fine detail though, and you're kind of limited when it comes to spacing options. Although I will grant that it takes talent...
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Is Wikipedia an acceptable source for research papers, etc?
Replies: 29
Views: 6705

Twasbrillig wrote:Wikipedia, 3005, "The Mathematics of Quantum Neutrino Fields", Dr. Hubert Farnsworth

Wikipedia, 3005, "The Mechanics of Quanto Burrito Fields", Philip Fry


Those are real people. Why don't they count?


Spoiler: those two aren't real
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:49 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Word Association game
Replies: 3971
Views: 445339

cousin

EDIT: got beaten
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:16 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Songs that you get 'obsessed' with.
Replies: 156
Views: 33131

Oh, another one, of course: Moskau

Unfortunately I only have it in .wav because I took it from a YTMND; if anybody has a higher-quality mp3 that'd be greatly appreciated.
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:59 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Is Wikipedia an acceptable source for research papers, etc?
Replies: 29
Views: 6705

Is Wikipedia an acceptable source for research papers, etc?

I think it's fine to use Wikipedia as a research source, but only if you recognize the inherent fact that it can be edited with false information. So whenever I get information from Wikipedia I always do one of two things to ensure its credibility: 1) Check the same article again a week or so later,...
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:34 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0203: "Hallucinations"
Replies: 30
Views: 12391

Ive actually recently began training myself to dream lucidly, and i think it may be one of the more worthwhile endeavors one can pursue because it makes very good use of the time we "waste" sleeping. My understanding of lucid dreaming is very limited, but doesn't it sort of defeat the pur...
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:11 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Attacking queens
Replies: 7
Views: 3566

For Warriorness: In your idea for n=8, you forgot the sides and the corners of the board, or even simply the box of queens, if you don't fully fill the chessboard. The corner queens will only threaten 3 others, the side ones only 5. Infinite chessboard. And I don't really get what you're suggesting...
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:40 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Songs that you get 'obsessed' with.
Replies: 156
Views: 33131

Aoeniac wrote:
warriorness wrote:Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but Ievan Polkka by Loituma...

>_<


Got the BBM remix? :D


And right now, I'm stuck on Foreigner - Cold As Ice


Yes.

And as a bonus I also have a techno remix.
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:44 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Nerdy Pet Peeves
Replies: 445
Views: 113321

superiority wrote:
warriorness wrote:the subjunctive tense


Subjunctive mood, I think you'll find.


"Mood" is stupid; the way I learned it it's a tense and so I will call it a tense >_>
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0199: "Right Hand Rule"
Replies: 53
Views: 22506

Antipas wrote:This "right-hand rule" is just another right dominance conspiracy against the left-handed population.


As a lefty I have to say the right-hand rule is in our favor. I never make the mistake of trying to use my left hand for it because my left hand is too busy writing.
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:50 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Songs that you get 'obsessed' with.
Replies: 156
Views: 33131

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but Ievan Polkka by Loituma...

>_<
by warriorness
Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:48 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 695751

17/M/North Carolina

Senior in high school, most of my life is tied up in college applications but thankfully that'll be over soon. My "home" forums are LUElinks and 4chan /b/. Current classes: BC Calculus, Physics C, Spanish Language, English IV, Computer Tech II, Data Structures.
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Obscene word games (f*cking jacket, ass-car)
Replies: 131
Views: 44770

I seize every opportunity I can to make fun of when people use "like" as a filler word. Person A: "Okay, so when making this recipe, set the timer for, like, five minutes." Me: "Like five minutes? So would four or six minutes be fine too? Those are like five minutes." P...
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Nerdy Pet Peeves
Replies: 445
Views: 113321

Most of mine are grammar-related. The biggest one is misuse (rather, non-use) of the subjunctive tense. It exists in English, so why isn't it taught in English classes? "If I was smart like you..." should be "If I were smart..." Another big one is overuse of "<subject> and I...
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:33 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Pictures that make you say "WTF"
Replies: 142
Views: 31531

So be it.

Image
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:22 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Attacking queens
Replies: 7
Views: 3566

Using the original question (that in line ABC, A does not attack C) and an infinite chessboard, I propose the solution: Place a queen on each square. Each queen attacks the eight queens around it. n=8. For this assumption, any n>8 would be impossible, because a queen only attacks in eight directions...
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:11 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Pictures that make you say "WTF"
Replies: 142
Views: 31531

Aoeniac wrote:This is where my free time goes.


I'm afraid I'm gonna have to one-up you:

Image
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0202: "YouTube"
Replies: 81
Views: 39180

I'm sure this is probably just coincidence, but are you by chance a /b/tard? "BigMike" is a common meme on /b/. Speaking of which, http://www.animud.com/images/uploads/real/247.jpeg Where'd you find that one? Should read "Anonymous" instead of "/b/tard". /r/ fixed image
by warriorness
Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Pictures that make you say "WTF"
Replies: 142
Views: 31531

This topic seems like a scaled-down version of 4chan.

Regardless, here are some pics.

Image

Image

Image

Go to advanced search