Search found 233 matches

by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:27 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Interesting puzzle
Replies: 10
Views: 1452

Re: Interesting puzzle

Sounds like something you could pretty easily make for 10-20 dollars. Go find an electrical engineer at your college, or if you want something steampunk, a mechanical engineer :P
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:10 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: One third Russian
Replies: 10
Views: 1443

Re: One third Russian

Would you have to include a recursive fraction to account for your lineage involving yourself, which has to account for your lineage involving yourself, etc. No, that has been accounted for: Let my Russianness be x, some number in [0,1]. I went back in time, slept with my Russian grandmother on my ...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

But that particular usage isn't inherently anything about homosexuals unless you take it to mean that. I don't understand why it's not OK for a word to have 2 different meanings in 2 different contexts. There's lots of words like that. So you'd have no problem with the word 'straight' or 'hetero' b...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:38 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Asexuality
Replies: 330
Views: 75536

Re: Asexuality

I'm a 21 years old guy and I'm a straight asexual. Just curious, but what differentiates a straight asexual with a gay one? I'd just like to know your definition, because for me, it's simply incredibly hard to be attracted to either gender. So I'm not sure how straight or gay come into the equation.
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:12 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Marijuana
Replies: 172
Views: 26201

Re: Marijuana

I'm for legalization of all drugs for any purpose and anyone who wants to buy them. It's up to personal (and parental) responsibility to manage whatever you put in your body, be it weed, or heroin, or mcdonalds.
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:00 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")
Replies: 113
Views: 8218

Re: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")

But does every group get to have their fun if it involves shutting down a major city for an entire day? I say have your fun, meet in a park, or a place that's designated a RECREATION AREA. Not the middle of friggen market street where you have to have a ton of cops and state paid for security etc t...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:53 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should the government regulate marriage?
Replies: 51
Views: 4679

Re: Should the government regulate marriage?

I knew you knew it was coming too :P And I won't dissect your statement anymore, I was more or less trolling you. But my point still remains and I made my analogy in the other thread. The government is doing something that I don't believe it has any authority to do (marriage), therefore I simply can...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:42 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")
Replies: 113
Views: 8218

Re: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")

The majority gets the rest of the time. If you don't like it, well, deal with it. We deal with it every day of our lives, you can do it for a few minutes while you drive downtown. The problem is it's dealt with by series after series of backlashes. The gay movement "rebells" against the s...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Questions about society and knowledge
Replies: 34
Views: 4627

Re: Questions about society and knowledge

This is my criteria, but don't take that to mean anything :P 1. Expect an understanding of at least the concepts behind most of the majority of scientific fields including quantum mechanics (minimum: at least read the wikipedia page on it) 2. Incredibly stupid. 3. To be intelligent you must know at ...
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:21 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

(or the even more proper "African-American") Not to derail this entirely, but it really is a counterexample to your point. I think this is very much not more proper. African American? wtf does that even mean. Does that imply that all black people are from Africa? That's very presumptuous....
by Falmarri
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:18 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Should the government regulate marriage?
Replies: 51
Views: 4679

Re: Should the government regulate marriage?

Different example: is it okay to fine people for speeding? In that case, you're discriminating against people who don't want to slow down. Should we just let anybody go at whatever speed they want, even if it's less safe? No. Those fucks should slow down, and if other fucks want marriage benefits, ...
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:28 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (merged threads)
Replies: 35
Views: 5275

Re: Uncertainty Principle

I'll let someone a little more qualified answer this question, but what you're essentially describing is a CRT tv. I'm pretty sure to get a correct pixel color at a correct location, the position-velocity point is sufficiently big enough to be bigger than Planck's constant and thus not collapse the ...
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:21 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Gravity Equation
Replies: 7
Views: 1025

Re: Gravity Equation

If you want something long, why not use maxwells equations in coupled differential form, instead of vector calc form.
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:14 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: One third Russian
Replies: 10
Views: 1443

Re: One third Russian

Bassoon wrote:Would you have to include a recursive fraction to account for your lineage involving yourself, which has to account for your lineage involving yourself, etc.


I was just about to say that. Don't you have to take into account your 1/3 russianness, which changes your russianness.
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: How not to make stupid math mistakes...
Replies: 9
Views: 1400

Re: How not to make stupid math mistakes...

Use a ti-89 to do all your computation.
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:07 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")
Replies: 113
Views: 8218

Re: Pride Parades (Split from "Slurs")

The majority gets the rest of the time. If you don't like it, well, deal with it. We deal with it every day of our lives, you can do it for a few minutes while you drive downtown. The problem is it's dealt with by series after series of backlashes. The gay movement "rebells" against the s...
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Homosexual Marriage?
Replies: 394
Views: 36868

Re: Homosexual Marriage?

If gay people could marry across the board (and get the benefits granted to straights who marry) then this thread wouldn't exist, so feel free to hang on to that one all you like. Gay people are more than welcome to marry. As long as they marry someone of the opposite sex... So if the government wa...
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:19 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

AtomicCow wrote:Best post in the thread


I think I love you. You expressed how I feel succinctly and couldn't agree more.
by Falmarri
Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Vice-Presidential Debate
Replies: 105
Views: 9287

Re: Vice-Presidential Debate

To those of us for whom it is a slur, it is hateful. And to Nougat, I didn't say you had to think it. You draw the line differently from where I draw the line. Are you friggen kidding me? Also, I really liked Biden in this. I never really knew much about him but he got some respect from me in this ...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 190499

Re: Religion

My point of view is that the majority of society has been religious for thousands of years, and it's not going to do anything but cause unneccessary strife trying to change that. Wow, that's a pretty shitty viewpoint. "Oh, it's fucked anyway, let's not try to fix it." No wonder we can't g...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Homosexual Marriage?
Replies: 394
Views: 36868

Re: Homosexual Marriage?

Since homosexuals are not allowed to marry across the board, they are being discriminated against. Any other discussion is secondary to that fact, including whether or not the government should be involved in marriage. You (SJ) and Falmarri have gotten on Jessica about her doubt that that the gover...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

Not to ignore the rest of the post, but I do. I think it's just as gay when they do it. I think <blank> for the sake of <blank> is usually pretty stupid. Maybe you were being ironic here, but from the arguments you've been making, it's hard for me not to see this as (un?)intentional pejorative, not...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Homosexual Marriage?
Replies: 394
Views: 36868

Re: Homosexual Marriage?

I can't do that by myself. Then that seems like a personal problem. I don't see why the government needs to get involved simply because you can't fulfill your promises. I want the social benefits of marriage, but am not religious. But that's my point, why should there be ANY social benefits to marr...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:46 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

Nobody complains when an actress's tits become a selling point for a movie, or when a smoking hot, carefully photographed nude woman is being used to sell shampoo; or when straight people concoct entire systems for bagging more chicks; or when straight people visit an island paradise for the week-l...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:39 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

Nobody complains when an actress's tits become a selling point for a movie, or when a smoking hot, carefully photographed nude woman is being used to sell shampoo; or when straight people concoct entire systems for bagging more chicks; or when straight people visit an island paradise for the week-l...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:34 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: EA sued over Spore DRM
Replies: 118
Views: 10934

Re: EA sued over Spore DRM

Minidisk player etc The same deal with iPods really. You can't take music off your ipod (at least easily) once it's on there. And that you HAVE to go through itunes to do it (again, easily). Also the fact that itunes won't scan a folder and continuously put new music in the library unless you bough...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Obama releases science plan, endorsed by 61 Nobel Laureates
Replies: 64
Views: 6071

Re: Obama releases science plan, endorsed by 61 Nobel Laureates

Well, I think I've found one situation in which I might actually support a tax cut. Maybe. Are you kidding me? I personally think that math should be integrated with science and otherwise done away with beyond the essential algebra/geometry/arithmetic (K-12, that is). Most higher math has little re...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:14 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Comcast Limit on Maximum Bandwidth (250 gibabyte)
Replies: 154
Views: 13793

Re: Comcast Limit on Maximum Bandwidth (250 gibabyte)

The problem isn't that you can only get 1 cable company because of an apartment rule, it's the fact that a single cable company is the sole cable proprietor of an entire geographic area. I know if I didn't stick with cox, my only option would be to go with Qwest, which is DSL and much more expensive...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:47 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How should I disinfect this water bottle?
Replies: 54
Views: 6167

Re: How should I disinfect this water bottle?

Boil water in it.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Bacon and Mole: A Culinary Experiment
Replies: 37
Views: 13816

Re: Bacon and Mole: A Culinary Experiment

I've skipped over this thread many times because I didn't want to know what kind of crazy person was eating a mole.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Partial Fractions homework
Replies: 12
Views: 824

Re: Partial Fractions homework

I agree, web assign sucks. What a lazy solution for the professor to spend less time grading. It would be easier to scan solutions and e-mail them to professors.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:35 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: Slurs

It's interesting to note that, because I care about the issue, you've assumed I'm homosexual. Sorry, I was only using the proverbial you because it seemed we were in a direct debate. It was just more clear if it's directed instead of referring to an unknown third party. Edit: I tend to do that, mak...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:17 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Slurs
Replies: 391
Views: 41223

Re: "that is so gay"

My point of view is that if you're getting insulted by someone using a word to describe someone or something ELSE, the problem isn't the word. I don't understand how people can get insulted so easily. It's just a word, ignore it, who cares what word someone chooses to describe something The problem...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:12 am UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Mentalist
Replies: 6
Views: 1783

Mentalist

Anyone been watching this show? It's pretty interesting. Reminds me of house in a way.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Multiple Choice Questions
Replies: 19
Views: 3912

Re: Multiple Choice Questions

In one of my math classes, we would have to take these online quizes as the entirety of our homework. It went up through partial differential equations, so it wasn't easy stuff. You could ALWAYS figure out the answer without doing any work just by looking at them. This is what the questions would be...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:19 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: What's it like/what does it take to be a professor?
Replies: 23
Views: 2373

Re: What's it like/what does it take to be a professor?

davetp425 wrote:such as that terrestrial objects fall because they want to return to their origin in the earth


Actually things are held to earth because of sin.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:35 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: simulating an infinite grid (Conway's Game of Life)
Replies: 9
Views: 3424

Re: simulating an infinite grid (Conway's Game of Life)

Infinite grid? Isn't the point of the game of life to have the corners loop back around so the left touches right, top touches bottom etc so it simulates a closed system? At least that's how I had to do it when I got this assignment a few years ago when I was still a CS minor.
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:35 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 190499

Re: Religion

Apathy about your purpose doesn't lead to nihilism and whininess... There's a difference between apathy and understanding there is no purpose. That should be and/or. You can be nihilistic without being whiny. Sure you can. But excluding emotion when coming up with your utility function usually caus...
by Falmarri
Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:06 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion
Replies: 2000
Views: 190499

Re: Religion

Nath wrote:
SJ Zero wrote:you get all nihilist and whiny.


That should be and/or. You can be nihilistic without being whiny.

Go to advanced search