Search found 3210 matches

by Eebster the Great
Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

I'm not really sure what you are asking, Youngstudent. We do observe dark matter; that's how we know it is there. We just don't observe it emit any light. There are a number of known kinds of matter that can do this, but it isn't clear which ones constitute most of it or if there are some kinds of m...
by Eebster the Great
Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

Mandalorians only help those who pay them handsomely. (As you can tell, I'm going along with the "Bad people skills" thing) How about a very handsome George Washington? http://www.marshu.com/articles/images-website/articles/presidents-on-us-paper-money/one-dollar-bill-large.jpg P.S. Why c...
by Eebster the Great
Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

Actually, it was called "dark energy" because, like "dark matter," it is energy that we cannot detect otherwise. We can't see it, making it dark. The difference is that dark energy is more like negative pressure, while dark matter is just matter.
by Eebster the Great
Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

It looks like the Mandolorians are very similar to the Diabetics. If I combine my bad people skills with their bad people skills, can we be the angriest, most universally hated alliance ever, but with so many powerful weapons that nobody can do shit about it? Because that is the alliance I want.
by Eebster the Great
Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:55 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Math: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 427
Views: 140565

Re: Math: Fleeting Thoughts

It seems trivial to me. [imath]v \cdot v = v^2 \ge v \cdot w = v^2 cos \theta[/imath].At least given the relevant conditions.
by Eebster the Great
Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:58 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

Or maybe just shooting down my idea that the extra dimensions in the universe are gradually unwinding themselves and inserting into 3D spacetime creating more space and accelerating the expansion of the Cosmos? This would give us large extra dimensions, but would not change the size of the three la...
by Eebster the Great
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

The effect you are noting is usually called "dark energy," and is usually supposed to be a cosmological constant. I am not sure what relation if any it has to extra dimensions.
by Eebster the Great
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:03 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

Eebster the Great – Diabeetus
Good traits: Large amounts of weapons-----Advanced weapons
Bad traits: Bad people skills------------------ Angry citizens

YES, I got the U.S.! :D

What exactly is the difference between "Advanced weapons" and "Superior weaponry," by the way?
by Eebster the Great
Mon May 31, 2010 9:30 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

nbonaparte wrote:I think we can safely assume youngstudent isn't coming back.


I can still take his place then. I'm ready to start whenever.

Our team name is Diabeetus.
by Eebster the Great
Sat May 29, 2010 6:38 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

nbonaparte wrote:I have.
Spoiler:
nbonaparte wrote:Subject: Space Simulation

YoungStudent wrote:I'd take leader spot.

Are you coming back?
I think it may be a bit snappy, but it gets the point across.

Cool I just didn't want to assail him with a dozen PMs from different users.
by Eebster the Great
Sat May 29, 2010 3:31 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

I am sitting in my car. The air around me isn't moving. The air outside my car is moving at 60mph. Bernoulli's principle implies that the air outside my car has a lower pressure. Then why does the air outside go into the car? I conclude that either Einstein or Bernoulli is wrong. This has nothing t...
by Eebster the Great
Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 21211

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

just because a joke is formulaic (think about one thing in terms of another) doesn't mean it can't be funny. See: every funny meme ever. The problem is when the joke is formulaic AND the formula is boring. In other words: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/989/wegetit.jpg Well I don't get it. They ...
by Eebster the Great
Sat May 29, 2010 3:25 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

Has anybody PMed youngstudent?
by Eebster the Great
Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Will creating life be possible in the future?
Replies: 30
Views: 4366

Re: Will creating life be possible in the future?

Leumas13 wrote:The worlds first synthetic cell was just made.

The genome was synthetic. The cell was not.
by Eebster the Great
Fri May 28, 2010 4:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 21211

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

xkcdsucks has obviously never heard of a one-liner.
by Eebster the Great
Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

I will take youngstudent' spot if necessary, but I expect him to return.

Otherwise I guess I am now in Chewy's team, again, provided it is named FasterThan#mK撃^[Dk.
by Eebster the Great
Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 21211

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

So am I the only one that thought that "speed run" referred to his sexual performance and not the walkthrough? It seems like all the comments here are attaching the "speed run" to the walkthrough... but the other guy asked him how his date went, and he's answering that question....
by Eebster the Great
Wed May 26, 2010 1:31 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Will creating life be possible in the future?
Replies: 30
Views: 4366

Re: Will creating life be possible in the future?

I think building ribosomes would be the real challenge. Ribosomes can self assemble from their parts, in vitro. But can we currently create either subunit of a ribosome? I argue for a criterion for a fully synthetic organism: If you can make a synthetic organism from scratch, then you can make it m...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 25, 2010 6:30 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Will creating life be possible in the future?
Replies: 30
Views: 4366

Re: Will creating life be possible in the future?

Yes. J Craig Venter's team is working on creating a new bacterium, starting from nucleotides. Of course this is not truly creating life from scratch, since it relies on enzymes for many of the basic biological functions (e.g. DNA transcription) and basic structural proteins to already be present. O...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Space Simulation
Replies: 83
Views: 7477

Re: Space Simulation

I would like to advise BlackSails under the condition that we name the team FasterThan#mK撃^[Dk.

I will leave it up to you to figure out why.
by Eebster the Great
Mon May 24, 2010 6:33 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0744: "Walkthrough"
Replies: 68
Views: 21211

Re: "Walkthrough discussion"

creaothceann wrote:I wonder if it was an unassisted speedrun, or a tool-assisted speedrun...

Tools could definitely speed it up.
by Eebster the Great
Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A seemingly easy logic problem.
Replies: 17
Views: 3899

Re: A seemingly easy logic problem.

Since there is no way of interpreting the argument such that (iii) is false and (i) and (ii) are true, the argument is valid. This is in fact why explosion works. If there is no way of interpreting the argument such that (i) and (ii) are true at all (not even worrying about (iii) yet), then automat...
by Eebster the Great
Sun May 23, 2010 7:53 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A seemingly easy logic problem.
Replies: 17
Views: 3899

Re: A seemingly easy logic problem.

Since there is no way of interpreting the argument such that (iii) is false and (i) and (ii) are true, the argument is valid. This is in fact why explosion works. If there is no way of interpreting the argument such that (i) and (ii) are true at all (not even worrying about (iii) yet), then automat...
by Eebster the Great
Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2912
Views: 684704

Re: RELATIVITY QUESTIONS! (and other common queries)

I can't say for certain, Shivahn, but it sounds like you are trying to divide zero by zero. I don't think that is a fruitful thought experiment.
by Eebster the Great
Fri May 21, 2010 1:52 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Given that you have a brother...
Replies: 41
Views: 7498

Re: Given that you have a brother...

For two-kid families, the probability is 75-25. 2/3, I think. The general form is that, in a n-kid family, where the size of the family is independent of the genders of the kids (so the parents aren't doing something like "have kids until we have a son, then stop" or something), the chanc...
by Eebster the Great
Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Given that you have a brother...
Replies: 41
Views: 7498

Re: Given that you have a brother...

Contrast: " Given that your parents have a son, is it more likely that you're male or female? " Unless I'm mistaken this is the slightly different question that has involves a probabilty of 2/3 for reasons some people are posting. Given that you have one sibling anyway. I could have w...
by Eebster the Great
Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A seemingly easy logic problem.
Replies: 17
Views: 3899

Re: A seemingly easy logic problem.


I didn't get the idea from xkcd, it's just a principle of logic.
by Eebster the Great
Wed May 19, 2010 4:09 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: A Small Calculus Question
Replies: 10
Views: 1919

Re: A Small Calculus Question

Yeah, [imath]\frac{dx^3}{dx} = 0[/imath] is only true for dx = 0, which is never the case for differentials defined in the ordinary way (although you never really find a "value" for a differential anyway . . . the equation just doesn't make sense).
by Eebster the Great
Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Think Before Naming Your Child
Replies: 1622
Views: 337837

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Moo wrote:Whoosh :roll: Because God forbid someone might have other interests, at different intensity levels, and expressed in a different manner to you.

I was obviously kidding. This is a stupid debate.
by Eebster the Great
Wed May 19, 2010 4:02 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A seemingly easy logic problem.
Replies: 17
Views: 3899

Re: A seemingly easy logic problem.

So, for example: 1. All cats are dogs. 2. All dogs have eight legs. A. Therefore, all cats have eight legs. Is a valid syllogism, even though all of the propositions are incorrect. I prefer: I am tired. I am not tired. Therefore that is exactly what your mother said last night. A valid syllogism an...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 6:43 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Math: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 427
Views: 140565

Re: Math: Fleeting Thoughts

auteur52 wrote:
Qoppa wrote:But we have Riemann integral, and Riemann sum!


It's pretty common for multiple forms of a name to be used as adjectives. Just like Gaussian distribution vs Gauss sum or Jacobian vs Jacobi sum, etc.


Hey guis sorry im laet

Why is Laplace an adjective but Laplacian a noun?
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: How To Ask Someone to Be My Girlfriend
Replies: 8
Views: 4093

Re: How To Ask Someone to Be My Girlfriend

A girl asked me to Sadies this year I had to look this up. What a weird holiday. It's based on a comic strip? Also, FTFY is definitely better than QFT (although still far inferior to Fix'd), because it actually involves creating an original post and making a point, whereas QFT is the marginally mor...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: A seemingly easy logic problem.
Replies: 17
Views: 3899

Re: A seemingly easy logic problem.

So, for example: 1. All cats are dogs. 2. All dogs have eight legs. A. Therefore, all cats have eight legs. Is a valid syllogism, even though all of the propositions are incorrect. I prefer: I am tired. I am not tired. Therefore that is exactly what your mother said last night. A valid syllogism an...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: 2nd Law
Replies: 32
Views: 2951

Re: 2nd Law

If the expectation value is much much less than 1 per age of the universe, we can say it is impossible. Wouldn't that mean impossible things continually become closer to being possible as time goes on? Wouldn't they just have been possible the whole time, then, by the time the event occurred? It re...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Trig
Replies: 14
Views: 2191

Re: Trig

(Aside from matrices and vectors and shit...at least, those aren't covered in our curriculum) While not strictly necessary for single variable calc, these are pretty important to know, in general. I would argue they are more important than calculus, in fact. (They are more important than partial fr...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 12:07 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: 2nd Law
Replies: 32
Views: 2951

Re: 2nd Law

Velifer wrote:If you're thinking Brownian motion rattling the ball into your hand, I think I'd rather wait for it to quantum tunnel its way there.

Now I wonder which is less likely.
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Trig
Replies: 14
Views: 2191

Re: Trig

Well, wave motion is kind of the example for what trig functions actually get used for, but whether they would get covered in a particular trig book is questionable. I would argue that right triangles would be the example. And you know, finding distances and stuff. But yeah, I get your point. Waves...
by Eebster the Great
Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Think Before Naming Your Child
Replies: 1622
Views: 337837

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Moo wrote:You mean to unafraid to shun societal constructs of what normal is in favour of expressing their interests and individuality? Maybe because they're awesome!

No, he means finding Star Wars to be so interesting they want to think about it every day.
by Eebster the Great
Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: 2nd Law
Replies: 32
Views: 2951

Re: 2nd Law

If the expectation value is much much less than 1 per age of the universe, we can say it is impossible. Not really. Plenty of isotopes have half-lives much longer than the age of the universe, but we don't say a decay of one of those atoms is impossible (since, you know, it happens all the time). I...
by Eebster the Great
Mon May 17, 2010 6:20 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Trig
Replies: 14
Views: 2191

Re: Trig

In an approximate order (may overlap with other posts.) . . . Formulas for standing and traveling waves. (Amplitude, phase, velocity.) Complex numbers (if you don't already know them.) Polar form for complex numbers. De Moivre's formula. Roots of unity. Most precalc classes probably won't cover all...

Go to advanced search