Search found 428 matches

by rat4000
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

PeteP wrote:Or are you just being pedantic?
Yes.
by rat4000
Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Quibbling about semantics is pretty damn irrelevant to my point, but fine, I'll reword: "trying to avoid preventable suffering and death of human beings". Now at least the two things you're comparing ("ranking", if you will) are comparable. Problem is, what you call an obvious t...
by rat4000
Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:12 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

"And yeah, no, I'm perfectly happy with decrying any nation's culture if that culture prizes "winning battles for the sake of it" over "trying to avoid pointless suffering and death of human beings". That's not a valid comparison. In fact, you can't compare the two things a...
by rat4000
Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

KrytenKoro wrote:"winning battles for the sake of it"
"trying to avoid pointless suffering and death of human beings"
Ain't it fun how the two are compatible?
by rat4000
Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

Ratr0000 That is such a wonderful typo. Ratroo. Ratroooooooh. Please call me that always. How is it ok to abort a fetus that's brain damaged[?] If that lump of flesh can become a person, those responsible for it should help it do so, assuming that the harm done thereby is not greater than the expec...
by rat4000
Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

Do you think the way Fred Phelp's crew harass funeral goers is immoral? Do you think it should be a criminal offence to demonstrate as they do? Yes and no -- but I don't respect their choice or their right to this particular choice, and would do my best to disrupt their harassment if I could do so ...
by rat4000
Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

[...] Rights don't stop simply when a person dies else countries everywhere would be idiotic not to harvest all organs on death even if the person expressly forbid it when alive*. [...] Another example would be that someone's right to distribute their property as they see fit doesn't end just becau...
by rat4000
Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

So, just to reiterate your position; bodily autonomy AND legal power of making decisions for a family member in a medical crisis totally matters, unless there's a baby involved, in which case the state steps in and the baby trumps everything? And we should intervene to keep her on expensive life su...
by rat4000
Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

Respecting the wishes of how a dead individual wishes their corpse to be treated is precisely a bodily autonomy issue. Whose? I'm dead; I don't exist; I don't have bodily autonomy. Or are you saying that, before I die, I have the right to say what should be done with my body? So it's a right I have...
by rat4000
Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

.... huh? Lets be clear; whatever atheist state you're talking about *should* prefer to respect the wishes of the individual. Okay, here's the post directly above yours, except shorter: The woman is no more. Her wishes are no more. Her bodily autonomy is no more. The only wishes we _can_ care about...
by rat4000
Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:31 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes
Replies: 351
Views: 38477

Re: Dead Pregnant Woman on Ventilation Against Family Wishes

Taking something from the fourth page... If an individual has no bodily autonomy after death, why can the state not force all brain dead patients to remain on life support until their organs can be harvested or transplanted? Why indeed? Because we believe that dead bodies have some sort of intrinsic...
by rat4000
Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Animal Rights Activists Trash Italian Lab
Replies: 170
Views: 17712

Re: Animal Rights Activists Trash Italian Lab

Go back, reread this, and try the same approach with plants. The argument is something like this: "The reason it's never legitimate to conduct experiments on highly impaired human beings is that they generally still feel emotions and pain." "The reason it's never legitimate to conduc...
by rat4000
Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Kermit Gosnell - aka why abortion clinics need oversight
Replies: 39
Views: 6077

Re: Kermit Gosnell - aka why abortion clinics need oversight

There are other angles. For instance, some say pro-lifers should tone down their rhetoric. Stop calling abortionists mass-murderers. Perhaps the label isn't accurate, but we know that in at least one case it is. It probably is in more. I'm not going to argue the ethics of abortion with you (except ...
by rat4000
Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)

I agree that using mansplain with a general audience is going to be a bad idea. But the article that used it was pretty clearly directed at people who already considered themselves progressive, pointing out that the discussion had been framed by tertiary sources (ie the amanda blum article, where b...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

sam_i_am wrote:It's not uncommon for public figures to get death threats.

Athletes get death threats for losing high profile sports games.
Yeah, hence the restriction to sex- and gender-related stuff. Gabe's case does fulfill that.
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Gabe himself got death threats, actually. (Dickwolves debacle, if someone wants to google it.)

Meh. Not exactly what I wanted, but close enough. I was wrong, apparently! How embarrassing.
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

That's quite a bold claim. I wouldn't put it past the /b/ crowd to give rape threats to men, but I'm sure that many, or even most of them would elect to give death threats instead. OK! Examples examples examples! I want someone who wanted some sort of equality and was also male and was hazed simila...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Aaaaah. It looked so earnest with the reproductive rights and all, like you were actually trying to be serious.
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

People would've blamed your hypothetical man. People would've stopped way short of rape threats because you don't send these to men. It just plain doesn't seem to happen. (Ninja Meaux seems to disagree. I'm actually just going by what I remember about similar kerfuffles including some involving men;...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

So you're not willing to entertain a hypothetical parallel scenario, yet you boldly claim that Adria was fired because of her gender. Yes. Why do the two contradict each other again? I'm basing my opinion on the facts that I see. That it's very hard to entertain a hypothetical parallel scenario cha...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

That example of yours is missing something. Yep. That's what the counterfactual in parentheses is there for. The one you quoted? Really, I think imagining what might've happened in the half-hypothetical Scalzi case is better than imagining what might've happened in the wholly hypothetical mentally ...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

sam_i_am wrote:I don't think I'm alone in believing that potentially offensive language isn't a big deal if you're not directing it at someone who you know to take offense at it.
And if the people democratically elected a totalitarian government, none would be justified in resisting it.
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Imagine a different but similar situation. This is a good idea but I think what you did is slightly misleading. You can't just switch out women for differently abled; the two groups are oppressed differently. It adds lots of variables you can't control for. Let's try for a real male while feminist ...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Certainly, all the sexist commentary (and thus a large portion of the internet drama) directed at Richards originates from the fact that she is a woman, and thus her firing could be said to be "because she was a woman". However, this effect is several steps removed from the firing itself....
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Riiight. Next time a random male twit posts an identifying photo on the internet, plus maybe some bullshit about the person depicted (but not a name or an address), and the internet explodes, you call me. /s/ has a beautiful faces thread Wednesdays. Ex-girlfriends threads, always. I'm waiting for th...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Hell, any PR person who acted with such recklessness and arrogance, attracting a lot of negative attention, would probably end up in trouble, male or female. I don't see it as something we should reasonably assume gender had anything to do with, since guys get fired for that flavor of stupidity all...
by rat4000
Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Someone did something on the internet (Adria Richards)
Replies: 202
Views: 27957

Re: Gender-charged Twitter Drama (Adria Richards)

Torchship, one way to deal with public shaming is public disagreement. People could've (people have) publicly disagreed with what Richards did without posting her address or calling her names or sending her death threats. I'm thinking this might be what Meaux means. Really, though, almost everyone i...
by rat4000
Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)
Replies: 234
Views: 24045

Re: Rape in Steubenville, OH (Trigger)

Lucrece wrote: How do you un-condition a lifetime of violent behavior in just a couple of years?
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2000920,00.html
by rat4000
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: John Cheese: Politicians don't understand poverty
Replies: 324
Views: 49497

Re: John Cheese: Politicians don't understand poverty

Forget the moral angle entirely. The question of whose fault something is generally is often pretty irrelevant to fixing the problem. In fact, the process of laying blame can often substitute for fixing the problem(witness the US financial system). In the end, you and your close family are gonna ca...
by rat4000
Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Ghostbear: All right, now we've hit a wall. I disagree with you on those things and that's it. I've seen your arguments, you've seen mine, and we're at the stage where we're just repeating stuff at each other over two very clearly identified points that are ultimately either matters of opinion or mo...
by rat4000
Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

You're taking a gamble on knowing the future religious and community values of the child, and telling the children for whom you got it wrong "LOL, you should have been exactly what your parents predicted you would be! Too bad!". Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. No sarcasm. This is wh...
by rat4000
Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

BattleMoose, I wonder who you're referring to. (I am forced to wonder because you'd rather let people guess than make communication easier. Please don't do that again, or you get sorts like me who imagine it's about them. Even when it really couldn't be about me, because I'm neither circumcized nor ...
by rat4000
Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Not arguing with you here, and I don't necessarily disagree. But why ? Is there anything other than cultural momentum (see also religion) that makes that statement true? Because if not... it's not really relevant, is all I'm saying. Because the entire paragraph preceding that could be applied to ev...
by rat4000
Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

If the ceremony they wish to perform infringes on the rights of somebody else, then quite frankly, I do not care if they are disappointed on not being able to perform an important cultural ritual. If they have a ceremony that does not infringe on people's rights, that does not impose their religiou...
by rat4000
Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

(Temporary pain) and disappointment. The temporary was only applied to the word after it. Those are still not "pretty much the same", specifically because of the kind of choices they are. One person is being denied the choice for themselves , while the other person(s) is being denied a ch...
by rat4000
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

I can agree to disagree on what "small" means.
by rat4000
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:14 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2665579

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Wiki gives two pronunciations for the Japanese word: [tsuˈna̠.mi] and [suˈna̠.mi]. Among the pronunciations for the English word is /tsuːˈnɑːmi/. (No idea why one of those is using phonemes and the other phones. Ask wiktionary.) Either way, a t is definitely allowed to be there. Adacore is correct o...
by rat4000
Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Just to clear both of those up, so you may hopefully know whether you disagree with me or not more easily: [snip] I don't know if he disagrees, but I (sort of) do, so I'll respond. Once you bring a belief-dependant premise into a philosophical argument, I can freely disregard your conclusion. There...
by rat4000
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Hmm do you take religious freedom to impart special privileges? If you forbid doing all similar things to little kids, I wouldn't consider religious people not getting an exception as being something against religious freedom. (I won't comment on circumcision itself, I don't want to be pulled into ...
by rat4000
Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 65130

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Regarding religion vs utilitarianism: So having more steps of pure logic in an argument makes it better? Those who were unhappily uncircumsized still have a lifetime of thinking that the state denied their parents religious freedom. Meanwhile, those who were unhappily circumsized have a lifetime of ...

Go to advanced search