Search found 249 matches

by lu6cifer
Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:59 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Horizontal lines as local max/mins?
Replies: 6
Views: 6594

Re: Horizontal lines as local max/mins?

Well, I guess, more specifically, I'm talking about when f ' (x) bends down to touch the x-axis, doesn't cross it, and begins to increase again. At that point, this would create a horizontal line for the graph of f(x), right? Would that point be the x coordinate of a local maximum?
by lu6cifer
Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Horizontal lines as local max/mins?
Replies: 6
Views: 6594

Horizontal lines as local max/mins?

Let's say you have a function with a horizontal line y = 5, which is also as the highest y-value. Let's say that y = 5 between x = [-4,4]. Could you say that a local maximum exists for the x-value of any point within [-4,4]? Or do local maxes and mins exist only for values that are a single point?
by lu6cifer
Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: How'd you come up with your username(s)?
Replies: 1405
Views: 240355

Re: Where did you get your Username?

Man, what lame stories. My last name is Lu, and in sixth grade, one of my friends decided that "Lucifer" would be a cool nickname for me. Of course, he didn't know that Lucifer was the devil at the time (or so he tells me), so I began taking on the nick and using it on the internets. But, ...
by lu6cifer
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:42 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90173
Views: 9105646

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

I didn't want to start another thread about this, and I'm too lazy to find the correct keywords to google or try it out myself...so, does anyone know for how long you have to be away on gchat before your status indicator turns orange?
by lu6cifer
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: SAT Scores (because somebody had to do it)
Replies: 20
Views: 2195

Re: SAT Scores (because somebody had to do it)

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Critical Reading: 800
Math: 800
Writing: 710

I curse the introduction of the writing section with my every waking breath.

I only took it for the NMSC, so I actually don't really care. But perfect scores are nice.


Psshh...and you call yourself the grammar bolshevik.
by lu6cifer
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:17 pm UTC
Forum: The Help Desk
Topic: Odd Ubuntu home directory problem
Replies: 3
Views: 464

Odd Ubuntu home directory problem

For the past few months, I've had this disk check while starting up Ubuntu. It always stopped at 70% on /dev/sda7 (my /home). Then, after five minutes or so, it'd send me to a root terminal and tell me to perform some filesystem check. At that terminal, it also gave me the option to ctrl-d and resum...
by lu6cifer
Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: SAT Scores (because somebody had to do it)
Replies: 20
Views: 2195

Re: SAT Scores (because somebody had to do it)

I believe there's already a thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6933
by lu6cifer
Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0652: "More Accurate"
Replies: 131
Views: 39585

Re: "More Accurate" Discussion

Meh, I didn't really like this one...

But yeah, the word filter is off for some reason, lol. I can lol as much as I please, lol.
Lol, this post is going to look really stupid lol (at least more than it does now) if the filter gets reactivated, lol.
by lu6cifer
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Recommend me a good introductory text on Game Theory
Replies: 14
Views: 1681

Re: Recommend me a good introductory text on Game Theory

Well, just based on a google search: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/game-theory/
I've looked at this website, and it's not mathematically heavy at all, but it gives you a good idea of the general concepts of game theory.
by lu6cifer
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Linux Nostalgia
Replies: 51
Views: 3887

Re: Linux Nostalgia

One of my friends introduced me to Linux around 2007--I remember it clearly, it was a cold, breezy November afternoon..... Anyway, I remember being kind of put off; I was still a bit of a Windows fan-boy back then. But then I saw a couple of videos, I saw all of the different environments one could ...
by lu6cifer
Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Happy Birthday Randall!
Replies: 18
Views: 3266

Re: Happy Birthday Randall!

Happy Birthday!

/me scribbles signature...
by lu6cifer
Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:52 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Please delete.
Replies: 71
Views: 6256

Re: Please delete.

Mods, everyone just lost twenty dollars and my self respect, now would you please delete this?


EDIT: wtf...I accidentally the word filter
by lu6cifer
Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

RogerMurdock wrote:You wouldn't happen to go to a Northern Viriginia High School and take physics from a certain Mr. Bowman would you?


Not quite. I go to an Eastern Pennsylvania high school.
by lu6cifer
Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:40 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

Azrael001 wrote:You should have made a ballista.


It's actually funny you say that, because I have a ballista frame from a Science Olympiad competition a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, we have to have some sort of lever arm in the design.
by lu6cifer
Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

I am sorry to report that the trebuchet failed miserably.

Well, semi-miserably. It launched a tennis ball about 25 yards, but after that, the sling just wouldn't function correctly, launching the tennis ball backwards or at an incorrect angle.

So, we resorted to a lacrosse stick + bungie cords.
by lu6cifer
Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: pie charts
Replies: 16
Views: 1946

Re: pie charts

complex numbers? Instead of drawing a pie chart you could just give the area that a particular segment sweeps out in terms of where the end points are one the unit circle in the complex plane. eg. if a segment represents 20% then it goes from i on the unit circle to e^i(pi/10)~ 0.951+0.309i. Then y...
by lu6cifer
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:25 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

What I'm worried most about the sling is if the ball stays in the sling past the point of release, or if the ball falls out of the sling before point of release. Any advice on getting the right balance?
by lu6cifer
Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Design your own ideal education system
Replies: 53
Views: 12000

Re: Design your own ideal education system

I'm a math/science oriented guy, but because our school is preppy/full of overachievers, I'm forced to take AP classes that I don't really want to take just to keep up with the competition. For example, AP US history. The subject matter is interesting, the class discussions are interesting, but firs...
by lu6cifer
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:30 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

Okay, so based on the comments I've heard, I'm probably gonna go with a counterweight trebuchet. Many people say that a sling would help increase the range of a projectile, but does it really help? My group was just planning to use a lacrosse stick.
by lu6cifer
Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Re: Making a Catapult

Some other restrictions...

It has to fit in a 1.5-1.5-1.5 meter box; would that be too small for a trebuchet that would have to sling something ~30 yards?
Also, the catapult has to have a firing mechanism, but that shouldn't be a problem for a counterweight trebuchet, right?
by lu6cifer
Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:27 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0644: "Surgery"
Replies: 110
Views: 26986

Re: "Surgery" Discussion

...powered USB is out, unless you can do something like use blood flow to power a tiny generator. A circulatory system turbine would put additional stress on the heart, likely voiding your warranty. There's some adaptability there, but I'm mindful of what happened to two of my computers when I over...
by lu6cifer
Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:54 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Making a Catapult
Replies: 24
Views: 3516

Making a Catapult

So, for physics, we have to build a catapult, but I'm not a very good builder. Does have past experience with building catapults, or know anything about catapult design? What's the simplest design (i.e, can be built and calibrated in a few hours) that can launch a tennis ball roughly 40 yards?
by lu6cifer
Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0644: "Surgery"
Replies: 110
Views: 26986

Re: "Surgery" Discussion

I liked this one, because I can relate: I just know that webcam will eventually work under ubuntu with a patch...
And yay, no tests for me tomorrow!
by lu6cifer
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Favorite math jokes
Replies: 1452
Views: 485462

Re: Favorite math jokes

This was one of my friend's jokes:

What do you get when you cross a butterfly with a samurai?

Spoiler:
(epsilon over three!) [math]\epsilon / 3[/math]
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:41 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Top blogs
Replies: 23
Views: 2997

Re: Top blogs

the xkcd blag, of course
Plus lifehacker and gizmodo--lots of tech related/life tips.
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:34 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: College Computer
Replies: 5
Views: 1083

Re: College Computer

If it were me, I'd get a decent desktop like the ones mentioned by Game_boy, and maybe a netbook for notetaking
And though they're great quality laptops (I'm pretty sure they're actually used in space), Thinkpads are a bit on the expensive side, for me at least.
by lu6cifer
Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:41 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Just wondering: Why can't we find i?
Replies: 50
Views: 7308

Re: Just wondering: Why can't we find i?

Internetmeme wrote:Okay, then how do we know that e^(pi*i)+1=0? Wiki has left me slightly confused.


It involves a long, rigorous proof that's probably best left till you take trig.
by lu6cifer
Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:50 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Puzzles from the xkcd book (big puzzle SOLVED!)
Replies: 147
Views: 161121

Re: Puzzles from the xkcd book

For the page numbers
Spoiler:
perhaps it is supposed to be in base 3, but the omitted numbers represent some sort of code?


And for the last page of the introduction:

Spoiler:
As far as I know, this is also a simple substitution: okay here we go
by lu6cifer
Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0639: "Lincoln-Douglas"
Replies: 94
Views: 17676

Re: "Lincoln-Douglas" Discussion

Another your mom joke + reference = not that funny...
by lu6cifer
Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:36 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Tell me about this "Blade Runner" movie
Replies: 56
Views: 8226

Re: Tell me about this "Blade Runner" movie

You should really just watch the movie and decide what you think of it later, instead of trying to create an opinion beforehand.
It is a relatively slow-paced movie, but some scenes, especially toward the end, are worth it.
by lu6cifer
Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos
Replies: 61
Views: 5634

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

v1nsai wrote:I really think that these days the only reason everybody uses Windows is because everybody uses Windows.
Maybe there's a good reason that a lot of people use Windows! Maybe Microsoft is even right in warning a lot of those people away from using Linux!


Do you really believe that?
by lu6cifer
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 am UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Ways to keep busy in a boring class
Replies: 124
Views: 14150

Re: Ways to keep busy in a boring class

Well, our school had so many computers that it was more economical to just give each student a laptop for the school year.
So now we have laptops during class...and most teachers let us use them, for 'note-taking' :wink:
by lu6cifer
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:36 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos
Replies: 61
Views: 5634

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

F*ck man pages. My classic example is "dir". In MS-DOS, "dir /?" provided you with a nice, convenient, single screen that told you everything you would ever probably need to know. Under newer versions of Windows it's a little more than a single screen. "ls --help" give...
by lu6cifer
Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0636: "Brontosaurus"
Replies: 85
Views: 22630

Re: "Brontosaurus" Discussion

I liked the comic, but the alt-text was just meh and predictable for me...

Apatosaurus FTW!!!
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:10 pm UTC
Forum: Books
Topic: Cool Chapter Titles
Replies: 5
Views: 4148

Re: Cool Chapter Titles

keozen wrote:I'd be tempted to give my chapters names (like Geoff and Lucia)


Reminds me of Catch-22, in which nearly every chapter title was the name of a new character.
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Stanley Kubrick: Because He is Awesome
Replies: 37
Views: 9886

Re: Stanley Kubrick: Because He is Awesome

2001 was better after I read the book

Dr. Strangelove was probably my favorite film by him, followed by A Clockwork Orange and then Full Metal Jacket. I thought the Shining was okay...Jack Nicholson was good, but the woman who played Wendy was just unbearable...she was just so whiny and annoying.
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Units
Replies: 24
Views: 3469

Re: Units

But, I was talking about in general, how do you 'visualize' units such as newton-meter or newton-second, or joule-second?
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:03 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: End of the Universe Poll
Replies: 42
Views: 3588

Re: End of the Universe Poll

What? Where the hell is otter/duck?
by lu6cifer
Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:51 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Units
Replies: 24
Views: 3469

Units

So, a unit like m/s--meters per second--means that if I run at 5 meters per second, I will travel 5 meters every second. But, then what does something like a Newton-meter mean? How would you explain that as I did with m/s? Edit: "I will travel 5 meters per second" instead of "I will t...
by lu6cifer
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Compliment the Enemy
Replies: 27
Views: 5380

Re: Compliment the Enemy

Windows Vista is shiny.

Go to advanced search