Search found 1398 matches

by Dason
Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Not-necessarily-fair-coin flipping
Replies: 10
Views: 2329

Re: Not-necessarily-fair-coin flipping

Like snowyowl, I assumed a uniform probability distribution of p across 0≤p≤1. That assumption is extremely dubious. The probility distribution of p would be bulge around a what an unweighted coin would have, which depends on what type of coin it is, but for most coins would be close to p=0.5. It w...
by Dason
Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Mega millions 5 number prediction
Replies: 34
Views: 6972

Re: Mega millions 5 number prediction

skiingbandit wrote:i did not say it predicted the lottery - read what i said - in 3 years I had the correct 5 number combination in a list that the program produced.

Can you elaborate on this some more? Without knowing more specifics it's hard to gauge whether you're doing any better than just randomly guessing...
by Dason
Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm UTC
Forum: School
Topic: Do you think what my school teacher said was too much?
Replies: 22
Views: 14753

Re: Do you think what my school teacher said was too much?

None of that had any place in a high school psychology class. Definitely report them.
by Dason
Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:01 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Dthen wrote:When we stopped talking about cats.

Is it bad that I prefer the cabbage talk to the cat talk?

...

And that is how I earned a place on Dthen's foe list.
by Dason
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: An Infinite Length String and what it contains
Replies: 83
Views: 15519

Re: An Infinite Length String and what it contains

Because the property I mention is countable additivity. The real numbers are uncountable so we don't need to worry about that.
by Dason
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: An Infinite Length String and what it contains
Replies: 83
Views: 15519

Re: An Infinite Length String and what it contains

And yet that is a contradiction. Once again you have that each number has a probability of 0 of being obtained. However since these numbers don't overlap we should have the probability of their union should be the sum of their probabilities. However 1 isn't equal to 0 so your construction doesn't fo...
by Dason
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: An Infinite Length String and what it contains
Replies: 83
Views: 15519

Re: An Infinite Length String and what it contains

Events that are impossible have a probability of 0. However, that doesn't mean that all events that have probability 0 are impossible. For example if I get a random draw from the uniform distribution on [0,1] (call it x) then it doesn't matter which x I got - it's true that P(x) = 0. However, since ...
by Dason
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Looking for a set of math problems from Discover magazine
Replies: 16
Views: 2631

Re: Looking for a set of math problems from Discover magazin

jestingrabbit wrote:I think if there's a club we have to assume that there are at least two people in the club. Or meetings would be at the very least odd.

I see nothing wrong with a club with a single member - for example I see no reason to let anybody else enter my solipsism club.
by Dason
Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

And again, with the menu, don't ask me how much something costs. It is on the menu. All of the prices. Funny you say that - I was at subway today and was at a loss to find out how much they charge for a fountain drink. It might be somewhere on that menu but if it is they don't make it easy to find ...
by Dason
Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9979
Views: 1976440

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

https://github.com/munificent/vigil i'm pretty sure there's a bug in one of the examples in the README: def fib(n):    if n < 2:        result = n    else:        result = fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2)    # fib() never returns negative number.    swear result >= 0    return result returns a negative numb...
by Dason
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Every now and then it doesn't show up with any available networks to connect to but if I wait a little while (or log out and log back in) they'll be there. There should also be a little refresh button in the window if you're impatient. I try that - doesn't do anything for me. Then again the sound j...
by Dason
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:45 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

What? Whenever I click on the network icon in the taskbar, a list of networks pops up similar to the list that pops up in OS X and Ubuntu. Same here. Every now and then it doesn't show up with any available networks to connect to but if I wait a little while (or log out and log back in) they'll be ...
by Dason
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Fermat's Last Theorem
Replies: 76
Views: 13951

Re: Fermat's Last Theorem

Hidden congruent numbers are numbers where the N is 5 but it doesn't have an integer solution to x^2+y^2+y^2 so you have to multiply by the common factor to move all three numbers into the integers. See, right there, you did one of the exact things I said you shouldn't do - pull a variable out of t...
by Dason
Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Diemo wrote:Trying to have 2012 pages by the end of the year (we really should get 21 posts on the 2012th page, and then get a mod to lock it for a day :) )

You mean the end of the Mayan calendar? Because otherwise there is plenty of time to get to 2012.
by Dason
Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I think I missed something (which is very possible since I don't often read *everything* that I've missed in this thread). Why are we trying to spam posts right now?
by Dason
Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post Your Pets
Replies: 70
Views: 29623

Re: Post Your Pets

Image

I love my dog
by Dason
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Fermat's Last Theorem
Replies: 76
Views: 13951

Re: Fermat's Last Theorem

You are absolutely right. But I cannot "polish" the paper up to the standard required by math journals (including La-Tex format) for lack of professional skill. LaTeX isn't that bad to learn and if you actually think you have something worth while then it would definitely be for your bene...
by Dason
Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)
Replies: 2641
Views: 540205

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

New User wrote:Duke Nukem 3D is currently free on GOG.com.

Thankfully I did not buy it 3 days ago like I was thinking of doing.
by Dason
Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:37 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: I can't answer questions like "Would you X?" Is this normal?
Replies: 38
Views: 5163

Re: I can't answer questions like "Would you X?" Is this nor

If there is a question to which 'it depends' is not a valid answer, I haven't found it yet. 0+0 = ? (assuming we're talking mathematics and not an electronical operation) I don't know what you mean by "electronical operation", but assuming you mean that we're using the electronic engineer...
by Dason
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:26 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

eculc wrote:pant: I wish I could find the music that plays on this website somewhere for me to listen to, and I can't.

http://plusredelixir.com/audio/One.Edit.ogg
by Dason
Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:59 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Transliterating numbers into other bases
Replies: 13
Views: 2146

Re: Transliterating numbers into other bases

I guess I don't see what the issue is since you're keeping the representation almost identical. It doesn't sound like you need any calculation to do what you're asking about.
by Dason
Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:54 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9979
Views: 1976440

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Code: Select all

print("Is this discussion still going on?  Seems like less of a fleeting thought and more like something that should be in an actual thread.")
by Dason
Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:35 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Elf is a great movie. That is all.
by Dason
Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

I just broke it, but there were EXACTLY 80,000 posts on page 2000! after this posts, there will be 80,001. I feel bad, but I need to point out the double epic milestone-ness. EDIT: fuck, i broke it again. page 2001. welcome to the millenium, i guess. It's almost like the board defaults to 40 posts ...
by Dason
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:03 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Language Love/Hate
Replies: 80
Views: 19549

Re: Language Love/Hate

The official solution is to do this: def foo(x): #{ if x: #{ print("What you passed is true!") return None #} print("What you passed is false!") #} Everybody's happy now, right? I enjoyed that page until I got to this one: http://www.python.org/doc/humor/#python-vs-perl-accordin...
by Dason
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:12 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Wait, so if "Yes, I'm just looking" is unacceptable, is "No, I'm just looking" also unacceptable? I will very frequently meander around a store if I have already found what I was looking for just to see what else the store has on the shelves. I'm not looking for anything in part...
by Dason
Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions
Replies: 4059
Views: 366939

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

I also hate it when people think that raptors dislike goto statements based on the statistically-insignificant so-called 'evidence' of one set of still images that doesn't even conclusively show an attack happening. I mean, it may just be that the raptor in question really likes the proper use of g...
by Dason
Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:19 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Fermat's Last Theorem
Replies: 76
Views: 13951

Re: Fermat's Last Theorem

McPgr wrote:
dudiobugtron wrote:I'm interested in seeing the proofs of those assertions btw, if they exist. :)


I'm not allowed to publish URL of the Proof according to rules of the site.

Now you're at 5 posts so you can post links. I'm interested in the proofs of all of your assertions as well.
by Dason
Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9979
Views: 1976440

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

To kill time (and pass online judge questions), I've tried implementing BigInteger in C++. Several operator overloads later, I managed to hammer out the worst corner case bugs I've encountered in my coding life so far. After that, apparently, my implementation works well :D, except for division. I ...
by Dason
Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hifaleetin' thoughts
Replies: 90172
Views: 9094478

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

You can now watch Netflix Instant View on Ubuntu (relatively painlessly). I AM SO EXCITED.

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa ... p-app.html
by Dason
Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Using points in 3d to create function
Replies: 7
Views: 1435

Re: Using points in 3d to create function

What are you taking as the input and what are you taking as the output?
by Dason
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3483105

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

freezeblade wrote:A car is just a box with wheels, that you sit, in to swear at people.

What is going on with those commas?
by Dason
Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Language Love/Hate
Replies: 80
Views: 19549

Re: Language Love/Hate

DaveInsurgent wrote:Fixed, thanks. One shouldn't drink and code.

Unless you're able to drink just enough
Image
by Dason
Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15144
Views: 2626034

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

oxoiron wrote:A lot of ethics are hard.

Not if you have the right book
Image
by Dason
Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:04 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: odds/probability of identical board setup in Battleship
Replies: 36
Views: 24070

Re: odds/probability of identical board setup in Battleship

So, what is the number based on this? That would be 30,093,975,536 and the probability is 1/30,093,975,536 for this event to occur. Errrm, that would be assuming that we choose Battleship setups uniformly, and I suspect we don't at all. Sure but what other assumption are you going to make? Anything...
by Dason
Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:41 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9979
Views: 1976440

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Is there a good place to post code you want other people to look at and criticize (IE, give you a basic gist of whether or not you've got any bad habits--if you're doing things in a silly, roundabout way--different methods you could use to optimize/clean up your code)? I've never used it but this s...
by Dason
Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Do you like or hate Windows 8?
Replies: 127
Views: 116452

Re: Do you like or hate Windows 8?

It so happens that our own Hammer wrote a blog post on Windows 8 . Thank you for that! I didn't realize Hammer had a blog and it lead me to this gem: http://onetireddeveloper.blogspot.nl/2012/10/when-good-analogies-go-bad.html For something slightly on topic - I really want to try out that new mine...
by Dason
Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:47 am UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Linux vs Windows vs Mac
Replies: 276
Views: 128847

Re: Linux vs Windows vs Mac

I tried to read as much as I could in this thread, and I'm honestly shocked to even see this discussion in a forum for xkcd... I thought the reader base was smart! The reason why no one will ever agree on the answer to this question is that the question itself flawed to the core! You can't compare ...
by Dason
Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: a simple question of probability
Replies: 4
Views: 1397

Re: a simple question of probability

This smells of homework. What have you tried so far?
by Dason
Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?
Replies: 818
Views: 225020

Re: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?

I would create a universe in which the "I would count all the numbers" joke wasn't so thoroughly destroyed. Good job guys. Good job.

Go to advanced search