Search found 292 matches

by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:26 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

It's relevant if you interpret it (as many do) as providing for the right to arm a militia, period. (Of course recent court decisions render the situation more complex than that and the court holds that it *does* provide for an individual right._
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Lulzsec
Replies: 230
Views: 34900

Re: Lulzsec

I understand that. What I don't understand is the assertion that this meme is a unique phrase or that separate instances of its usage imply that the same person/entity is behind both.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Lulzsec
Replies: 230
Views: 34900

Re: Lulzsec

I don't understand their latest blog post, unless they're just being ridiculous. "U Jelly?" is...ummm...not a distinctive phrase. But if calling it one is meant sardonically, I don't understand the humor...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

There were fewer people involved in the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the scope was much more limited. No there weren't, and no it wasn't. Actually, more people signed the Declaration than the Constitution (55 and 39, respectively). I'm not sure what you mean by "the scope was...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists
Replies: 195
Views: 21587

Re: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists

I realize you're making fun of me, but fail to see the inherent humor. It just looks funny because we aren't used to saying it that way.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists
Replies: 195
Views: 21587

Re: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists

I hear boy MUCH less frequently used in this context. For example, it's common in my area to hear the term "office girl"; you will *never* hear "office boy." Boy is simply used far less often to refer to grown, adult males.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: It's illegal to.... dance? In the U.S.?
Replies: 68
Views: 8569

Re: It's illegal to.... dance? In the U.S.?

Shit, Thoreau would be rolling over in his grave. Yes, I agree, Thoreau would be rolling over in his grave if he saw your argument contradicting Civil Disobedience . Since when did Thoreau say anything about it being ok to break laws and resist appropriate punishment? If I recall correctly, he insi...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

Ah! 3 years to ratification. Actually, it WAS a long time - it took forfreaking ever to convince everybody to sign up (kinda had to bully Rhode Island into it - they dragged their feet and dragged their feet until Congress finally got fed up and voted to sever commercial ties with RI, in essence say...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:42 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists
Replies: 195
Views: 21587

Re: How to Stop People From Becoming Rapists

There was a thread on this awhile back. I find "girl" demeaning and insulting when used to refer to actual women rather than, you know, girls; I refuse to use it and correct people who use it to refer to me. I am a woman. I can have sex, drink, drive, sign contracts, and all that other lov...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

aoeu wrote: But the fundamental disagreement here is on whether "blaming" should include people getting themselves hurt.


Being a victim of rape is not "getting yourself hurt." I repeat: being a victim of this kind of assault is not getting yourself hurt. It is someone hurting you.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Actually, no.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:20 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

No, saying anti-rape culture exists is like saying a pro-mudkips culture exists. Not in the world as a whole, it doesn't. It implies a large cultural force, which simply isn't there. So, if I'm walking across the street at a properly labelled crosswalk at a red light, if a drunk driver hits me I sha...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:50 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Okay. I did not realize I was being confusing here. Not confusing at all, merely horrifying. Consider it this way, if there was a common belief that if you are a bad Christian, you are a bad person, and that Good Christians a)help anyone in need, b)consider others before themselves, and c)believe t...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:27 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Concise writing
Replies: 23
Views: 4562

Re: Concise writing

goofy wrote: And why can't he follow his own rule and make an effort to use as few passive clauses as possible?


I think it's safe to assume that the passive voice is used in a partly ironic, partly illustrative way.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:40 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

I am arguing that part of rape culture is not always to be avoided . . . I believe Meaux that I am a part of rape culture, but I disagree that this makes my beliefs wrong. That right there is where you lost me. Thus, I believe that if the goal is to have rape culture be a unilaterally bad and shame...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: It's illegal to.... dance? In the U.S.?
Replies: 68
Views: 8569

Re: It's illegal to.... dance? In the U.S.?

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:
scrovak wrote:Shit, Thoreau would be rolling over in his grave.


Yes, I agree, Thoreau would be rolling over in his grave if he saw your argument contradicting Civil Disobedience.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:00 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Wishing Well
Replies: 52
Views: 6969

Re: Wishing Well

...how would they do that?
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

In other words, it's a different world. I, for one, don't see personal ownership of the most powerful weapons available as a "basic human right". Your mileage, of course, may vary. I don't think anyone is advocating for civilian access to WMDs, but the Founders and their peers had private...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

My meaning was that due to political process, they became amendments, rather than part of the original constitution. My understanding is that they decided to introduce the bill of rights after ratification and that this was a political compromise for expediency. That's all. Ah, okay - sorry for mis...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:09 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

There was a consensus. A unified intent. That's why it was ratified. Yes, there was certainly compromise involved, since almost all politics involve compromise. That's why the amendments we call the bill of rights aren't part of the constitution but are, instead, amendments. A few things. First of ...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:29 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.
Replies: 27389
Views: 3483905

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

I would appreciate the convenience of tampons, but I'm afraid of them. I get nauseous when I even think about putting anything in my vagina. Spoiler for TMI (as though that's really a thing in here, but it makes me feel better) I had a vaginal ultrasound once, and it hurt . The doctor didn't do...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Anyone else think blackmail should be legal?
Replies: 115
Views: 16298

Re: Anyone else think blackmail should be legal?

TimelordSimone wrote:It is more like someone cutting your hair unless you pay them not to.


That would be so annoying. I am now picturing a guy following me around all day snipping chunks of hair off me every time I sat down in class or to eat or surf. D:
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

Ahhh, good old original intent vs. living document . :D Yeah, that's an entirely different kettle of fish. I think that's actually off-topic, but the question was asked, so I thought I'd give answering it a shot. Well, it sort of has to be on-topic if you ask me - how can you answer the question of...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

Ahhh, good old original intent vs. living document . :D Yeah, that's an entirely different kettle of fish. I think that's actually off-topic, but the question was asked, so I thought I'd give answering it a shot. Well, it sort of has to be on-topic if you ask me - how can you answer the question of...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.
Replies: 27389
Views: 3483905

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Also in the non-applicator camp. I wonder about the prevalence of with applicator options in the US. Is this some bizarre prudishness thing? I have read several places that this really *is* the case - that we (Americans) are prudes and don't want to touch ourselves. Yes, really. I've read and heard...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

Fair enough, but 18th Century America was a far different place than early twentieth century America. Adams et al, for example, lived in a country that, while physically smaller, took a much longer time to send personnel or information from one end to the other. The fledgling nation was bordered by...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:53 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: Second Amendment Questions

Yep. Since those decisions, there's not really room to debate what the second amendment covers (if you want to assert that the court made the wrong decision, okay; I even sort of agree - but that's not what the discussion is about).
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:06 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Most excellent times
Replies: 5132
Views: 912934

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

So, speaking of awesome, SurgicalSteel - I've *really* liked your avatar for the longest time. Especially combined with your username, somehow. Just thought you should know. :D
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: The Second Amendment (US Constitution)

I don't agree with what I perceive sourmilk to be saying. I perceive that sourmilk is saying that because it's unlikely that we would be able to overthrow the government with military might alone, and because gun crime is high in the U.S., it's therefore obvious that the second amendment is no long...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Second Amendment Questions
Replies: 165
Views: 14126

Re: The Second Amendment (US Constitution)

Astonishingly, I agree with sourmilk (to a degree - in terms of picking-up-guns-and-overthrowing-our-gubmint, the second amendment is outdated: certainly the US military can outgun armed groups of citizens ( if it feels like it - whether it ever would in modern times is a separate issue and it is im...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Is this evidence that the Bible contains false statements?
Replies: 182
Views: 21415

Re: Is this evidence that the Bible contains false statement

You don't see that one of you saying there were 30 people at a party and another saying there were 20 as contradictory? o_0 One of you is wrong! That's only true if both assert that there were ONLY N number of people. If I say there were 30 people there, and my friend says there were 20, clearly we...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

A) That's not a metaphor. B) Even if it was (and it's not) - the fact that people misuse a word sometimes (or use a word metaphorically) doesn't make it a possible metaphor anytime that word is in a sentence somewhere. C) EVEN IF both A and B are untrue, I still fail to see how the phrase "for...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

A) That's not a metaphor. B) Even if it was (and it's not) - the fact that people misuse a word sometimes (or use a word metaphorically) doesn't make it a possible metaphor anytime that word is in a sentence somewhere. C) EVEN IF both A and B are untrue, I still fail to see how the phrase "for...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

People often say "forced" and literally don't even mean it. A) That's not a metaphor. B) Even if it was (and it's not) - the fact that people misuse a word sometimes (or use a word metaphorically) doesn't make it a possible metaphor anytime that word is in a sentence somewhere. C) EVEN IF...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

Vash, could you not eviscerate posts when you quote them? It breaks up the flow of conversation if you have to scroll halfway up the page to read a post. I also want to know what you're on about with metaphors and whatever that... I don't understand how it follows. Going back to the study though - ...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

If "forced sex" is an ... doesn't equal rape. My point was that the non-metaphorical definition does describe rape, and the metaphorical one does not. Since you were writing literally, we have no disagreement. I thought you might have not been writing so literally. >blinks< Since when can...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3529707

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Dason wrote:I remember those days. Now I'm lucky if I remember to remember to sign up for classes more than a week ahead of time... cause it doesn't matter because I'm going to get the classes I want anyways.


Hate you... :(
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Conspiracy theories and religion
Replies: 74
Views: 8030

Re: Conspiracy theories and religion

Some belongings = normal person
Lots and lots of belongings = hoarder

I think that says a lot about private property ownership as a whole.
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

So, you're arguing that forced sex does not = rape? No. Again, the problem (and the reason I said up to) with the study I was referring to (http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/comm/malamuth/pdf/83JRP17.pdf) was that the wording used in the study was ambiguous. It said "forced sex," which at first ...
by Cheezwhiz Jenkins
Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)
Replies: 608
Views: 97156

Re: Rape Culture (Obvious Trigger Warning)

So, you're arguing that forced sex does not = rape?

Go to advanced search