Search found 8350 matches

by Gelsamel
Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:09 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

>>Ding ding ding!<< I belive phlip had this solution first (though teaspoon had the correct answer first, just with a slighly wrong solution (giving 1 gold to the 49 least fierce pirates). I then made a graph because I have too much free time. I didn't understand your graph honestly, ASCII graphs a...
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:19 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

I'm going to number the pirates in ascending order of fierceness for a change. In the 3-pirate scenario, 3 can take $999 and give 1 $1 because it beats the 0 that 1 would get from the 2-pirate scenario. The 4-pirate scenario has a couple of outcomes. 4 can only guarantee a yes-vote through 2,0,0,99...
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Unfortunately the "optimal" strategy could likely be purporting yourself as being something you're not.

(Lets apply game theory to love, fun :D)
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Lip repetition?
Replies: 43
Views: 14479

So true.
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:55 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

holyyakker wrote:What about my problem? Anyone have an answer for me yet?


Haha, you got totally ignored there.

/pat.
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 am UTC
Forum: Your art and links
Topic: math for laughs...
Replies: 72
Views: 31444

What is 6!?!


Answer: 3
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:58 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

I was being serious... It was a joke. ERROR! ERROR! If I say "I am a god" then say "I am telling the truth" then after a while I say "I was joking" does that make the third statement false? Edit: It was a joke. And we were supposed to know your question was a joke beca...
by Gelsamel
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:27 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

Sitnaltax wrote:True, but although the specifics are different, the core idea--that you need to convince pretty much every other pirate by offering them a pittance--is the same.


Right, I misread that you said it was in a slightly different form. My bad.
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:45 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

Your riddle is different because you need OVER 50%, we just need 50%
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:40 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

The funniest part is this has blossomed into a full blown serious conversation.


~Gelsamel; It was a joke.
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:18 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Re: Probability

-Loves metal music -Hates stupid things/people, pseudoscience and engrish -Hates extreme open-mindedness -Is good at computer games -And most importantly is a decent looking girl? In my lifetime. I love how her being a decent looking girl is most important. Your shallow-ness aside, whether you figu...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Re: Probability

-Loves metal music -Hates stupid things/people, pseudoscience and engrish -Hates extreme open-mindedness -Is good at computer games -And most importantly is a decent looking girl? In my lifetime. I love how her being a decent looking girl is most important. Your shallow-ness aside, whether you figu...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:14 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Hates is too strong a word. To define it more; Does not buy into psuedoscience, if she detests it then that is good too =p. Also destests the use of Engrish (being 'pl0x' etc.) bad grammar and spelling online. Detests extreme open-mindedness (Never had a professor who was so open-minded and would ac...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Frankeinstein wrote:The problem is that you don't provide any numbers or statistics. So INSUFFICIENT DATA.

Recommended reading: http://www.nothingisreal.com/girlfriend/


Those statistics are harsh, however I'm not really asking why I don't have a girlfriend or not.
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:33 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

holyyakker wrote:Serious related question


I was being serious...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Frankeinstein wrote:DATA INSUFFICIENT

INPUT MORE DATA


I tried with a calculator too, it didn't work D:
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Probability
Replies: 78
Views: 23407

Probability

I always sucked at probability, probably the subject in math I hate the most. So if anyone can figure out the answer to this question I'd be greatly obliged. What is the probability of finding someone who is scientific minded and intelligent person who -Loves metal music -Hates stupid things/people,...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0168: "Reverse Euphemisms"
Replies: 43
Views: 22796

Re: There is a word for that

And that word is dysphemism . This little linguistics slut couldn't resist relating his first xkcd post to a semantical issue. :P Thank you! For years I've been saying "the opposite of a euphemism", but I will utter that phrase no longer! Like I said above I've been saying the same thing!...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Carnival of Bad Processors
Replies: 36
Views: 13321

Tsp, you say that the bad processors behave adversarily, and do whatever it takes to fuck you up the most. This means that they are trying to prevent me from reaching my goal of identifying a good processor, correct? Can they strategize together as a group on the best way to prevent me from reachin...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:56 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 651955

18/m/Student from Australia, 1 Month till Finals.

Doing Specialist Math (Calculus), Math methods, English, Chemistry, Biology, and I finnished Physics last year hoping to do a Physics course in Uni.
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0168: "Reverse Euphemisms"
Replies: 43
Views: 22796

Re: There is a word for that

And that word is dysphemism . This little linguistics slut couldn't resist relating his first xkcd post to a semantical issue. :P I've always wanted to know that word. But it doesn't really suit the topic either. Dysphemism is more saying "shit" instead of "dump" or "crap&q...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:57 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

The following is the first step of solving it explained. It sort of gives away the whole thing really because it's just this first step that is hard. If you have 2 people left the situation is split like this 1 is a yes vote, 0 is a no vote. Person:-99-100 Coins: 1000-0 Votes: --1---0 And with 50% n...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:20 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy [Solution]
Replies: 27
Views: 11547

Wait! I've had further thoughts! You can keep all 1000, and have all but one of the other pirates vote in your favour. If everybody rejects your idea, you get thrown overboard and then when the next guy proposes he keeps everything, he gets thrown overboard too. This goes all the way down to the se...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0168: "Reverse Euphemisms"
Replies: 43
Views: 22796

Re: Official "Reverse Euphamisms" Discussion

The word "Euphamisms" looks really weird tonight for some reason... Anyway, I don't get this comic that much, but whatever. Reverse Euphemism is a bad way of describing it. "Drop the kids off at the pool" is a Euphemism for taking a shit. So instead of euphemising something to m...
by Gelsamel
Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:46 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Pirate Democracy
Replies: 52
Views: 15391

This one is a classic
by Gelsamel
Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0167: "Nihilism"
Replies: 54
Views: 28997

Hehehe Squirells!

But I'll stick to my cup of Ignosticism, 'kthx'.
by Gelsamel
Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!
Replies: 9
Views: 4753

I think you might be confusing that with Wave function collapse. Hinsenburg Uncertainty principle is a problem in actually reading the information in a useable way due to uncertainty in how you measure things.


~Gelsamel
by Gelsamel
Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:21 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Nobel Prize
Replies: 13
Views: 5447

My thoughts exactly. The Prize in Medicine went to work on RNA interference, which is also pretty cool. Science. It works, bitches. Too fast! Sure it's good and all but it's not like not getting the nobel prize is going to stop it from saving lives or being further researched. Let it stand the test...
by Gelsamel
Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!
Replies: 9
Views: 4753

Ha, funnily enough I'm just now reading about how they got around the Uncertainty Principle, I'll report back this evening. Where are you reading this from? I may not be a quantum physicist but I understand what they're saying and most, if not all the needed infomation to understand it decently :D....
by Gelsamel
Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!
Replies: 9
Views: 4753

Teleportation of Information using Quantum Entanglement!

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000E9691-0261-1524-826183414B7F0000 (More Dumbed down, and probably a bit inaccurate version) http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10/04/teleportation.reut/index.html :shock: I'm not a quantum physicist so I wanna know how they got around W...

Go to advanced search