Search found 176 matches

by BAReFOOt
Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1037: "Umwelt"
Replies: 478
Views: 313678

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

omni5cience wrote:I just came to say, "OH GOD A HASKELL WEB APP", followed closely by "Where's the source?"


Well, you’re not the only one. :D
And if you can’t inline the source inside the comment (to save as .lhs and run), it’s not worth using. ^^
by BAReFOOt
Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1037: "Umwelt"
Replies: 478
Views: 313678

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

WRONG! “Umwelt” is the German word for “environment”. (In the sense of “the world around us”.) As a punishment, I will torture you by calling a Steak House (a house called “House” that was steak-ized) with my handy , and tell them “I become a steak! And I will a Schüttel-Shake!”. Then a woman with ...
by BAReFOOt
Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1034: "Share Buttons"
Replies: 82
Views: 30495

Re: 1034: "Share Buttons"

What “share buttons”?
With AdBlock Plus and Ghostery <voice like="Picard" while="tortured">THERE ARE NO SHARE BUTTONS!</voice>
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40512

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Angua wrote:Condescending much?


Insecure much? Inferiority complex much?
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40512

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Out of all the things I learned in college, formal logic is probably one of the most useful things I've learned for my daily job. I do a lot of info searching, and being able to know that NOT (A OR B) is the same thing as NOT A AND NOT B really helps me troubleshoot queries. Yep. I think we should ...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40512

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

It also implies: ~(honk & ~you love formal logic) ~(~honk & you love formal logic) ~(honk xor you love formal logic) (honk & you love formal logic) V (~honk & ~you love formal logic) I think you mean: ¬ (honk ∧ ¬ (you love formal logic)) ¬ (¬ honk ∧ (you love formal logic)) ¬ (honk ...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1033: "Formal Logic"
Replies: 132
Views: 40512

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Am I the only one, who doesn’t automatically do everything somebody else tells him to do?
by BAReFOOt
Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1028: "Communication"
Replies: 107
Views: 45050

Re: 1028: "Communication"

coredumperror wrote:hed*.
*I had to misspell it because the forum is intentionally screwing up our communications. That's pretty clever.


With it: h­e­a­d.
Without it: head.

At least it doesn’t try to replace as­sas­sin­ate by “buttbuttinate”. ;)
by BAReFOOt
Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1028: "Communication"
Replies: 107
Views: 45050

Re: 1028: "Communication"

I’m just saying
that I’m good at logic,
but people are fuckin’ retards.

I c­a­n prove it too.
Unfortunately, that also guarantees
that they will never get it.

;)
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

Oh wait, getting a partner by definition involves seduction ...what encyclopedia are you reading from? Seduction is wrong. Manipulation is wrong in general See there’s your problem already. First of all, you think that seduction is “nothing but evil manipulation”. Ignoring the fact that people do s...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

trying to make friends with someone you're in love with What. The. Fuck. How can you be in love with someone you're not even friends with? That makes no sense. Lol, guys, there are many pathologies and non-pathologic states, in which this is possible. If only because love is a different emotion tha...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

Been about 4 years since I read the book, but isn't Tyler the really strange one who Strauss thinks is only interested in playing people? Remember, that this is coming from a individual (Strauss), who has built his whole life on playing people and denying that that’s a bad approach. Also remember, ...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

The amount of people in this thread, who post extremely loudly, but don’t know shit, and openly choose not to know shit, is staggering. It’s like all those men in the USA, discussing female health/sexuality topics. They think they have good arguments, because they chose to ignore everything around t...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SEDUCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, because you never do that, to get a partner. (You also never were single. Or a child.) Riiiight. ^^ Oh wait, getting a partner by definition involves seduction, and that means that you are either a lying ass, or never had a partner in your lif...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SEDUCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn. Is it that hard to grasp? Seduction doesn't have to be a bad thing. Seconded. I, for one, would like to be seduced. ^^ And so do most people. The problem is, when the cake is a lie. Which, with the Mystery method (shown in this comic), it is. ...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

Speaking as someone who has read The Game, is pretty successful with girls (when single) …. […] Some of the other stuff is shallow. Learning parlour tricks to keep people amused isn't a bad thing to do - hell, why not learn something that's fun? […] I think the peacock stuff is interesting, and I'v...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:24 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1027: "Pickup Artist"
Replies: 2030
Views: 275130

Re: 1027: Pickup Artist

Oh boy… the old prejudices about pickup artists again… But I can understand it. All you n00bs see in idiots like Neil Strauss / Mystery and their peers on TV and on their websites, and think that’s what it is. Helpful hint: There are at least three generations of pickup artists ! An the first two ar...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1026: "Compare and Concave"
Replies: 74
Views: 31674

Re: 1026: "Compare and Contrast"

Now if only somebody could tell a non-native speaker, what the hell a “THEE” is…
(And, does „A SUMMER’S EVE“ have a special meaning?)
by BAReFOOt
Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1019: "First Post"
Replies: 76
Views: 21132

Re: 1019: "First Post"

I think I can, with high certainty, say, that I though this through to the end. Really to the end. I was awake the whole night, so I might explain it badly, but I will try anyway… The solution requires accepting that reality is relative. Then you will see, that the quality of a comment can never be...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1011: "Baby Names by Frank Zappa"
Replies: 302
Views: 82299

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

As for good names, how about Stirling Mortlock for you English-speaking folks, and [Oberst] Sturmhard Eisenkeil ([Colonel] Stormhard Ironwedge) for us Germans? ;) Which both are real people. The German one really is in the German military. And about Mortlock I kept this quote: I saw a rugby game dur...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1011: "Baby Names by Frank Zappa"
Replies: 302
Views: 82299

Well, there is always… “Sozialisma”

A friend of mine from former east Germany had a girl in class, that her parents had named… brace yourselves… “ Sozialisma ”! The German version of English folks calling their child “Socialisma”, as you probably guessed. Now old German names generally are pretty horrible, like Brunhilde, Kunigunde or...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0993: "Brand Awareness"
Replies: 232
Views: 69075

Re: 0993: "Brand Awareness"

This exists, and is called „TIP – Toll Im Preis“ in Germany.
It’s a no-name „brand“ from a supermarket chain that focuses on saving the marketing money and focusing on cheaper prices.
by BAReFOOt
Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0981: "Porn Folder"
Replies: 72
Views: 31643

Re: 0981: "Porn Folder"

userxp wrote:In Windows, I enjoy naming my folders "con".

I prefer “$MFT”. Or for images: $Bitmap. :P
by BAReFOOt
Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0981: "Porn Folder"
Replies: 72
Views: 31643

Re: 0981: "Porn Folder"

I always said: If it’s not full graphs, it’s not worth using. ^^

That’s why I replaced all databases, files systems, files, the Internet the hardware abstraction layer, the user interface, Facebook and all trees outside of my apartment with a big unified graph of everything with no root.
by BAReFOOt
Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0979: "Wisdom of the Ancients"
Replies: 219
Views: 87506

Re: 0979: "Wisdom of the Ancients"

Noooo… I just came up with another just as annoying thing nobody here had posted about yet…
And forgot it by the time I had clicked on “Reply” and entered “Another very annoying thing is when”… uuum… wait… GODFUCKINDAMMIT!
by BAReFOOt
Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0979: "Wisdom of the Ancients"
Replies: 219
Views: 87506

Re: 0979: "Wisdom of the Ancients"

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!
I had this problem so often, it’s not even funny anymore.

To generalize it: Every process should have a way to show its current state.

So… what’s the state of this thread? As I don’t see what we’ve found out so far about this.
by BAReFOOt
Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0978: "Citogenesis"
Replies: 179
Views: 61496

Re: 0978: "Citogenesis"

@userxp: Sorry, I have to disagree here. I’ll keep it inside the spoiler tag. No. "Facts", or more appropriately "truth" is information that corresponds with the universe*. For example, "The Eiffel tower is in Paris": this means that the particular collection of subatom...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0978: "Citogenesis"
Replies: 179
Views: 61496

Re: It’s what I always said.

As Philip K. Dick said, "Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing in it". In other words, anything that can be said not to change even if the perceptions of all of the people in the world changed. Nice that you mention that, as I like that statement quite a lot myself....
by BAReFOOt
Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0978: "Citogenesis"
Replies: 179
Views: 61496

It’s what I always said.

There are no “facts”, there is no “objectivity” and most of all, there is no “absolute reality”. It’s unscientific nonsense. “Facts” is what non-scientists use not only for a theory whose predictions were observed enough to be above their very personal trustworthiness threshold, but also everything ...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0949: "File Transfer"
Replies: 194
Views: 84975

Re: 0949: "File Transfer"

Many ISPs bar home servers, either by explicitly prohibiting it in the ToS or blocking all the useful ports. This happens to be the case for my provider. It ticks me off to no end. Uuum, how do they do that, why do you put up with that, and why did you sign a contract with such ToS in the first pla...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0949: "File Transfer"
Replies: 194
Views: 84975

Re: 0949: "File Transfer"

Yeah, that is exactly the problem I would have with your solution. I have no desktop right now, just my laptop, which I do not leave on when I leave the house. I think everyone should have either a small always-on home server (for audio/video playback, including streaming, as an answering machine f...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0949: "File Transfer"
Replies: 194
Views: 84975

Re: 0949: "File Transfer"

bigchiefbc wrote:Really? It's like $3 a month for a domain name and a site on a web server.


More like $0. Your box already is on the web. DynDNS + Opera Unite = problem solved.
(What do you mean, you switched your computer off while I loaded the file from you that you wanted me to have?? ^^)
by BAReFOOt
Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:16 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0949: "File Transfer"
Replies: 194
Views: 84975

Re: 0949: "File Transfer"

PROTIP1: All instant messengers support file transfer. That has been the standard way since 1996 with ICQ. Nowadays everyone has something like a Google mail adress. And with MS there's MSN. Which always means they have an instant messenger account too, and can accept file transfers when loogged in....
by BAReFOOt
Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0941: "Depth Perception"
Replies: 214
Views: 165375

Re: 0941: "Depth Perception"

I'm pretty sure that standard USB or Ethernet cabling can't handle more than about 100 meters without signal repeaters, so you'd need those as well as the power cords for the whole setup--or you'd have to set up a directional antenna for wireless over that distance, or else convert to an optical fi...
by BAReFOOt
Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0941: "Depth Perception"
Replies: 214
Views: 165375

Re: 0941: "Depth Perception"

I have to try that! But I will point my camera to the same position of the camera that is the most far away from me! If that means it’s on Mars, then so be it! I’ll even include a time delay logic that takes the rotation and movement into account. Imagine how it would feel to be a giant, more than 1...
by BAReFOOt
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 317307

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

Again with that RETARDED “longer > complexerererer” straw man argument? *sigh* Why do you anglophones always act like Unicode is NIH for you?? “correct horse battery staple” = [a-z ]^28 = 27^28, or realistically probably [a-zA-Z -]^28 = 54^28, or, at best, 64^28. But in the REAL WORLD, that’s cracke...
by BAReFOOt
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0922: "Fight Club"
Replies: 124
Views: 25696

Re: 0922: "Fight Club"

So, Randall, I’m really disappointed that a person with your intellect employs in ignorance. And on that level. Why do you act, like drinking the industrial-fascist cool-aid would be in any way related to “growing up”, instead of just having given up on life and this world in general? I found that t...
by BAReFOOt
Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: Your art and links
Topic: A Sony fiasco XKCD-like, anyone?
Replies: 2
Views: 3348

Re: A Sony fiasco XKCD-like, anyone?

I didn’t mean it quite that literally. ;)
by BAReFOOt
Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0906: "Advertising Discovery"
Replies: 69
Views: 16423

Re: 0906: "Advertising Discovery"

I have to say this: Only completely blind utter retards fall for the argument from authority . Basically, Wikipedia says: 1. If you are saying it: It’s wrong. 2. If you are saying it on another site: It may be right. 2. If you are saying it on another site that looks like an authority: You are right...
by BAReFOOt
Wed May 25, 2011 3:33 pm UTC
Forum: Your art and links
Topic: A Sony fiasco XKCD-like, anyone?
Replies: 2
Views: 3348

A Sony fiasco XKCD-like, anyone?

I just thought, it would be nice, to have a comic about Sony, going basically like this: 1. Because of every wannabe-hacker in the world trying to hack Sony right now, they pull all cables until the security audit is done. 2. They notice that now, they won’t know when the audit is done, since Sony H...

Go to advanced search