Search found 508 matches

by Woxor
Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Australian School to Redefine "cheating"
Replies: 54
Views: 4662

Re: Australian School to Redefine "cheating"

WARNING: I do not have an education degree or anything to that effect. This is my unprofessional opinion, although I do have limited experience in teaching mathematics. This is good for some subjects and bad for others. Unfortunately, most of the subject matter that needs to be taught in gradeschool...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: matrix manipulation help
Replies: 18
Views: 2697

Re: matrix manipulation help! Urgent!

wuxor, I know your'e trying to shield me from spelling this out but I'm actually working with two 3x3 matricies in the above format. I found this example but I can't follow it so I just posted the two steps in the given example. Again, the matricies I'm "assigned" are 3by3s which I'm not ...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bisexuality passed on by 'hyper-heterosexuals'?
Replies: 8
Views: 1606

Re: Bisexuality passed on by 'hyper-heterosexuals'?

Did anyone else think that this headline was vacuous because you read it in the sense of, "Bisexuality? Oh, I think I'll pass." Yeah, it took me forever.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:45 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability of probability
Replies: 24
Views: 2575

Re: Probability of probability

and conclude they are equal. I would agree with everything up until this; you can assume they are equal, but I don't think there is a valid epistemology behind that assumption. In an abstract thought experiment like this, giving each event an equal probability seems to make sense, but it's inherent...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: John McCain campaign disparages gamers?!
Replies: 29
Views: 4127

Re: John McCain campaign disparages gamers?!

McCain is just a big GURPS fan. We all knew that already; it's a petty rivalry.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: matrix manipulation help
Replies: 18
Views: 2697

Re: matrix manipulation help! Urgent!

Are you having trouble performing the matrix multiplication? In general two 2\times2 matrices can be multiplied together like so: \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b\\ c & d\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}e & f\\ g & h\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}ae...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:28 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability of probability
Replies: 24
Views: 2575

Re: Probability of probability

If you draw balls and keep them out rather than replacing them, the chance of black or white is always 50/50. I don't think that's true at all; it's just a natural assumption one might make, given the essentially equivalent outcomes. For example, if I pick a car on the street and note whether it ha...
by Woxor
Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability of probability
Replies: 24
Views: 2575

Re: Probability of probability

Probability is notorious for its ability to cause even the best mathematicians to make stupid mistakes, but I'll venture an answer: Assuming that you're giving each ball in the bag a 50/50 chance of being black or white, yes. The probability that (the probability of picking a black ball is higher) i...
by Woxor
Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:58 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Robot functions with biological brain
Replies: 62
Views: 5697

Re: Robot functions with biological brain

The brain has a clever structure, but we have the better matter. I'm not saying it won't be done because it can't be done. It won't be done because it would serve no practical purpose. Maybe so, maybe there's no reason to keep it in giant neuronal structures instead of silicon, but I don't know. Ma...
by Woxor
Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:13 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

BoomFrog wrote:can that same math be applied to sound waves

No, apparently the underlying equations are more complicated. But hopefully the math will catch up quickly.
by Woxor
Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:10 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Robot functions with biological brain
Replies: 62
Views: 5697

Re: Robot functions with biological brain

A biological supercomputer will never get here. It would be a computer and it would work, but it would be incredibly slow and far from super. We have bio-analogous semiconductor circuits for this purpose, however even those aren't as popular as digital ones which do the job much more flexibly. The ...
by Woxor
Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: speling iz knot umportint rite!
Replies: 91
Views: 8785

Re: speling iz knot umportint rite!

Okay, okay, [imath]\sqrt{x+y}=\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}[/imath] from now on.
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

you guy do know that right now it's only invisible to radio right? To get invisibility from visible light hey will have to shrink down the thingsies many times smaller. My understanding is that, until somewhat recently, the problem was that the theory (the mathematics behind it) wasn't developed. T...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

And enemy soldiers? As soon as they learn that you have invisible tanks that can only be seen with infra-red goggles, the smart money is on them being kitted out with infra-red goggles. Well, obviously. But hey, at least you're invisible to the naked eye, which counts for something. Truth be told, ...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: stupidest comment ever
Replies: 339
Views: 34161

Re: stupidest comment ever

Iori_Yagami wrote:While USians might find it difficult to understand (as they live in a monolithic country)

EMBRACE THE MONOLITH
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:56 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions
Replies: 4059
Views: 371029

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Sorroth wrote:Misconception- American English "came first".

Seriously, you've heard people say that?

I'm not sure that counts as a misconception. That's an idiocy.
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom
Replies: 44
Views: 5712

Re: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom

I don't think it is insane, it is not part of modern western culture, but I have observed it in action where I lived, and among one social group there it was common practice and in and of itself did not seem to fail, though that social group had a number of cultural shock issues. I suppose my comme...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Bill Gwatney killed
Replies: 33
Views: 3637

Re: Bill Gwatney killed

A normal government can be kicked out without guns. In a proper working democracy, at least. Government should represent their people, and if they dont, change ! You have the choice in November guys ! I'd say a "normal" government is one that can't be kicked out without guns. But yeah, th...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom
Replies: 44
Views: 5712

Re: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom

LE4dGOLEM wrote:IT DOES BUT YOUR IDEA OF IT IS BAD

Haha, we should probably start the issue over in a new thread sometime to avoid the clusterfuck that other one became. But in the meantime it's way more fun to flame.

YOU'RE CRAZY YOU'RE ALL CRAZY








:)
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

First, echo-location works with sound, so it would work to find a cloak, because this one only refracts light and not sound. I took a class from one of the guys behind some of the mathematical theory behind this cloaking stuff, and he says that the analogous mathematical problem behind accoustics (...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom
Replies: 44
Views: 5712

Re: 9 Year Old Arguing with Mom

nadreck wrote:Do not protect the child from painful (but not life threatening) consequences, only be sympathetic for their pain

Oh me yarm Oh me yarm Oh me yarm Oh me yarm Oh me yarm THAT'S INSANE

Waiting for the flame war over whether "building character" exists ...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

Solutions? See in infra-red, but then they can see you in infra-red. Maybe have a map with a GPS allowing you to watch yourself navigate. Or maybe echo-location? Or, you know, a peep-hole. You can see a lot through a small opening that is close to your eye, and others can only see something the siz...
by Woxor
Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:15 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Scientists announce advance in invisibility
Replies: 36
Views: 4136

Re: Scientists announce advance in invisibility

Using special materials, you simulate the "warping of space" around the object so that light travels around the object but appears to have traveled straight through it, kind of like a fluid current around an object.
by Woxor
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Robot functions with biological brain
Replies: 62
Views: 5697

Re: Robot functions with biological brain

Ok science build us a brain the size of a tank go go go!

It will be seriously awesome if "biological supercomputer" gets here before "quantum supercomputer," even though I don't understand either one.
by Woxor
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities
Replies: 58
Views: 4962

Re: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities

GhostWolfe wrote:He wasn't arrested.

/angell

My bad, I jumped to conclusions.
by Woxor
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities
Replies: 58
Views: 4962

Re: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities

And how would you ever tell if people were dumping toxic chemicals down their sink? By sampling their sewage? When someone gets shot, you can usually tell, there happens to be a bloody hole in his body. Therefore, you need the appropriate permits to obtain certain chemicals in certain quantities. I...
by Woxor
Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities
Replies: 58
Views: 4962

Re: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities

I saw "Worcester Telegram" and assumed that this was in the U.K., but then I realized that it's a Massachusetts paper. In that case, I'd say that the philosophy behind the second amendment applies (even if the literal text of it doesn't). All else being equal, citizens are to be trusted wi...
by Woxor
Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: McCain Summarizes US in Three Seconds
Replies: 78
Views: 8992

Re: McCain Summarizes US in Three Seconds

mosc wrote:Wow... I'd hit you in the face if you said this to me.

...

This thread is fucking horrible. Bullshit facts, hypocrites, malicious politician bashing, malicious religious bashing ...

... all of which are much better than threats of physical violence.
by Woxor
Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:21 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Best Video Game
Replies: 122
Views: 11462

Re: Best Video Game

GTA: San Andreas and Ocarina of Time.
by Woxor
Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:29 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions
Replies: 4059
Views: 371029

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Math Teacher Edition! \sqrt{x+y}=\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y} \int{\tan{x}dx}=\sec^2{x}+C \int{e^{x^2}dx}=\frac{1}{2}e^{x^2}+C [\textrm{desired answer}]+[\textrm{nonzero quantity}]=[\textrm{desired answer}] In general: that it is better to write down a fake solution rather than stop when you no longer know wha...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Music taste linked to mental state
Replies: 27
Views: 3353

Re: Music taste linked to mental state

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Wanting to build one's own character?

Just because I have the avatar of a cartoon dad doesn't mean you have to rebel against me.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:13 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Find the 6th number
Replies: 60
Views: 9319

Re: Find the 6th number

The worst example of this sort of thing that I've ever seen was worked out as the sample question in an SAT prep book or something. It was an analogy: "2 is to 4 as 8 is to ___." The "answer" was 16, but that struck me as pretty arbitrary. I mean, yeah, the fractional ratio seems...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: DeBeers: Adding insult to injury.
Replies: 54
Views: 5569

Re: DeBeers: Adding insult to injury.

Haha, that's pretty terrible. I wonder if anyone makes little menorahs out of Nazi gold.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities
Replies: 58
Views: 4962

Re: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities

Heisenberg wrote:bleach, kerosene, and gasoline I keep in my home.

TERRORIST CELL IDENTIFIED
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Music taste linked to mental state
Replies: 27
Views: 3353

Re: Music taste linked to mental state

Have they discovered what kind of mental illness causes you to think that Coldplay is worth listening to?

ba-ZING
by Woxor
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities
Replies: 58
Views: 4962

Re: Home Chemistry Lab Ransacked by Authorities

I seriously doubt that all of those chemicals posed a serious risk to anyone under normal circumstances. Just because they are "Chemicals" doesn't mean that they explode when you shoot them.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Child made ward of court to allow name change
Replies: 81
Views: 6580

Re: Child made ward of court to allow name change

EsotericWombat wrote:He didn't compare it to rape. He showed that the line of reasoning you were using was faulty by applying it to a different case.

Thus comparing the two situations. I'm done here; you're being ridiculous, the lot of you. I'm not wasting any more time responding to fallacious nitpicking.
by Woxor
Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Child made ward of court to allow name change
Replies: 81
Views: 6580

Re: Child made ward of court to allow name change

EsotericWombat wrote:I repeat my question

EmptySet compared it to rape. I said it wasn't comparable. How on Earth is that a straw man?
by Woxor
Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:30 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Child made ward of court to allow name change
Replies: 81
Views: 6580

Re: Child made ward of court to allow name change

As someone who was a victim of all of these things, I believe that you can and do recover from bullying (especially the emotional damage) as you grow up. People can and do recover from the trauma of sexual assault, too. People can also recover from having their leg broken. That doesn't mean parents...
by Woxor
Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:27 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: stupidest comment ever
Replies: 339
Views: 34161

Re: stupidest comment ever

"I think it's funny how poor people apply to college ..."

Overheard at college. No idea what the context was. Total "if it weren't for my horse" moment.

Go to advanced search