Search found 4945 matches

by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:46 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?
Replies: 16
Views: 1999

Re: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?

Also there is wine.
by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:31 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?
Replies: 16
Views: 1999

Re: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?

She is profoundly uninterested in email.
by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

And yeah so Luke, he had the womp rats. Crude, but counts as practice. He's not such a bad pilot himself, you know. And his father was a great Jedi himself, whoever he was and however he got there. So he can arc from a whiny bumpkin to a master, and we can dig. Anakin, alright. What's he got. Midich...
by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:14 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

SecondTalon wrote:You understand you described Luke, yes?

Yeah but he used to bullseye womp rats back home.
by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?
Replies: 16
Views: 1999

Re: Is there somewhere you go to discuss books?

I talk to my mother.
by doogly
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:16 am UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

That said, nobody is really very interested in defending the prequels, so bringing them up is a bit of a strawman. They're cannon, they don't contradict the original trilogy, and multiple people repeatedly mentioned how much worse TFA is than them, so I disagree with that assertion. Yeah, I am happ...
by doogly
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

rawr
by doogly
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:09 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Zohar wrote:What's with the hate towards 7? It loses *a lot* of points for being very much a remake of IV, but other than that it was pretty great.

It loses every point. No points awarded.
We will definitely have to talk to the dean.
by doogly
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

II had "Not like sand." Unacceptable.

But the bottom line is really just that they are both bad, but better than 7.
by doogly
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Replies: 188
Views: 10838

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Liri wrote:I'd rather re-watch Eps. I, II, and III than VII or VIII. I'll admit it.

Yeah. I, II and III are like C, C-, B? But VII was automatic F, we have to talk to the dean about what you did. I am not watching VIII but I read the wikipedia. It appears to be as bad as expected.
by doogly
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post your boat race.
Replies: 20908
Views: 2498030

Re: Post your boat race.

yeah it does, obviously, don't be dense.
get cat pics.
by doogly
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post your boat race.
Replies: 20908
Views: 2498030

Re: Post your boat race.

Or get one. They're great!
by doogly
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Post your boat race.
Replies: 20908
Views: 2498030

Re: Post your boat race.

No cat. Do over.
by doogly
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Tear-jerkers (merged: Fictional Tears)
Replies: 121
Views: 17251

Re: Tear-jerkers (merged: Fictional Tears)

Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest. It is excellent, but egads. There is a good reason why it was designed to have a Totoro chaser. (Though Totoro is also sad if you come in with the knowledge that you are being lied to, and home girl absolutely dies.)
by doogly
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

No that is a completely classical situation you described.

The difference between classical ignorance and quantum indeterminacy is not readily apparent in things like the above situations, but when you include repeated measurements it matters, this is the Bell inequality business.
by doogly
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

Yeah, that seems right.

It's weird. There are good reasons why you can't experimentally get cats into such a state. I'd be really pleased to see like, a couple grains of sand in such a state.
by doogly
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: PhD study of this forum
Replies: 28
Views: 15649

Re: PhD study of this forum

Congrats!
by doogly
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

Let's say Alice is p unreliable. I give her a 50/50 shot. That is classical. It is not then 1/sqrt(2)( |alice does> + |alice don't>). She's not in a quantum state, she's not entangled with anything, I just don't know what she's going to do. Quantum mechanics is about more than just ignorance.
by doogly
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:03 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

Yeah, the cat would need to be in a sufficiently low pressure and temperature box that odds are really good it is dead. Much better than even. I think Ucim is off, above. If you have a cat in a box and your friend Alice is watching the box, but you put Alice in a box of her own, and aren't observing...
by doogly
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

I think for the most part I don't have to yell at Xanthir. I think it just shows that it's important that when you want to use words like "reality," you shouldn't use them for the parts of your story that are the averaged, processed, coarse grained, etc, bits. It's the wacky bits underneat...
by doogly
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Quantum Question
Replies: 110
Views: 8855

Re: Quantum Question

An observer is a Hermitian operator. But yeah so this illustrates a problem with developing an ontology based off of your approximation. The statement "nothing becomes real until it is observed" could be more precisely rephrased as "nothing behaves classically until it interacts with ...
by doogly
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:30 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

Touche! Especially once they pass the tax bill, and all research gets funded via kickstarter. Stupid AI makes better videos so it will probably jump to the fore. (cf Stupid Robot videos. They really are good!) But yeah I think one of the challenges is fleshing out the failure modes. If AI is aiming ...
by doogly
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:42 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

p1t1o wrote:But for now, lets stick with "Can a sentient machine be naturally stupid?"

The group trying to build it isn't going to get much funding, I tell you what.
by doogly
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Math: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 382
Views: 113716

Re: Math: Fleeting Thoughts

Of a radian. Not to steal Qaanol's thunder though.
by doogly
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

I have the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge, so watch out.
by doogly
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Miscellaneous language questions
Replies: 549
Views: 69762

Re: Miscellaneous language questions

gmalivuk wrote:How often should an idiom be used to be considered "remotely common"?

Is "happy as a clam" remotely common?


It's not as good as "happy as a pig in shit" but it'll do.
by doogly
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:48 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

At least people who talk about souls are honest about injecting magic into the conversation. People who object about some essential distinction between a "real mind" and what is even potentially achievable with mechanical AI have equivalent nonsense, but are just not up front about it.
by doogly
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

Alright if a rambling wino counts as evidence, just bad evidence, then sure, there is evidence for the soul. But I think most people like to use the word "evidence" to exclude the category of "hearsay," but maybe that's just me and my crew. I roll pretty tight with Team Evidence ...
by doogly
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:14 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

What? No. No there has been no evidence whatsoever, not a shred. I'm not sure what you are talking about. There is nothing that occurs to me as even being a candidate for evidence that has somehow failed my standards. There is nothing.
by doogly
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:18 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Artificial Stupidity
Replies: 52
Views: 5245

Re: Artificial Stupidity

The current trend is towards AI learning, rather than being programmed to know what it knows from the outset by a programmer. So AI is pretty dumb, and gets smart. Quickly, because it can iterate tasks. Alpha Go is a great example. They recently had one that they programmed with only the rules of th...
by doogly
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Miscellaneous Science Questions
Replies: 2863
Views: 616736

Re: Miscellaneous Science Questions

jewish_scientist wrote:If a species reproduces asexually, then what gender are members of that species?

It's polite to just ask them.
by doogly
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 pm UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: How do you define..."you"?: Question about Infinite Universe
Replies: 22
Views: 2675

Re: How do you define..."you"?: Question about Infinite Universe

andykhang wrote: I just mean a realatively simple situation, in which you discover that you're in a multiverse

do not
by doogly
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 am UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: How do you define..."you"?: Question about Infinite Universe
Replies: 22
Views: 2675

Re: How do you define..."you"?: Question about Infinite Universe

You need something that only a real, veritable you would know. I designate a special handshake, that should I ever meet a putative copy of myself, I know they are actually another self if they know the handshake. There are infinitely many universes that contain another such self, one who knows the h...
by doogly
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Men's Fashion
Replies: 396
Views: 117743

Re: Men's Fashion

pseudoidiot wrote:It also never hurts to just ask before the interview what the dress code there is.

Sounds like an admission of weakness. Risky.
by doogly
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Men's Fashion
Replies: 396
Views: 117743

Re: Men's Fashion

Depends a lot on the company. Some west coast startup, you definitely want a Slayer t shirt. Engineering research for a government contractor, you definitely want a suit. And there is an understanding often that people will kick it up a notch for interviews, so that even if the polo and slacks is no...
by doogly
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Assumptions of Searle’s Chinese Room Thought Experiment
Replies: 64
Views: 6858

Re: The Assumptions of Searle’s Chinese Room Thought Experiment

The Chinese room argument is the purest form of begging the question.
by doogly
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Maximizing 2 Variables
Replies: 19
Views: 2610

Re: Maximizing 2 Variables

Local maxima get a bad rap.
by doogly
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm UTC
Forum: Comics/Graphic Novels
Topic: What word-only novels have been influenced in form or structure by graphic novels
Replies: 5
Views: 1372

Re: What word-only novels have been influenced in form or structure by graphic novels

doogly wrote:The Popol Vuh is an alphabetic-only text based off the original pictorial + glyph based Mayan records. This is pre 1980s though.

Just a little bit prior :)[/quote]
But it is doing exactly the things you are talking about though, which I think is really super neat.
by doogly
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm UTC
Forum: Comics/Graphic Novels
Topic: What word-only novels have been influenced in form or structure by graphic novels
Replies: 5
Views: 1372

Re: What word-only novels have been influenced in form or structure by graphic novels

The Popol Vuh is an alphabetic-only text based off the original pictorial + glyph based Mayan records. This is pre 1980s though.
by doogly
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Maximizing 2 Variables
Replies: 19
Views: 2610

Re: Maximizing 2 Variables

The general, arbitrary case. There is an x, and there is a y.

Go to advanced search