Search found 4313 matches

by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0001: "Relativistic Baseball"
Replies: 157
Views: 71245

Re: What-If 0001: Relativistic Baseball

So what we've really got is a baseball-sized glob of quark-gluon plasma right on the verge of consolidating back into baryonic matter, then? Or is that just what our baseball ends up as somewhere between its magic acceleration and when everything presumable eventually settled back down to baryons ag...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0001: "Relativistic Baseball"
Replies: 157
Views: 71245

Re: What-If 0001: Relativistic Baseball

the total amount of energy required to fission *every* atom in the baseball Is that to split everything all the way down to raw hydrogen, or just to split the carbon into boron, etc? (Odd timing: TMBG's "The Sun" just came on my Pandora. "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a giga...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:37 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0001: "Relativistic Baseball"
Replies: 157
Views: 71245

Re: What-If 0001: Relativistic Baseball

So I've noted that treating things as chemicals is silly. Given that the KE is ~2 orders of magnitude higher than the binding energy of nuclei, should treating the particles as atoms be equally silly? Probably. The energy lost by splitting the nucleus is far below the threshold of the napkin math I...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:00 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0001: "Relativistic Baseball"
Replies: 157
Views: 71245

Re: What-If 0001: Relativistic Baseball

If the ball is moving so fast that the air molecules are effectively stationary for the entire course of its motion, then no thermal energy is going to propagate through the ball and cause chemical reactions like combustion or state changes like vaporization. We're dealing with speeds so fast and pe...
by Pfhorrest
Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1080: "Visual Field"
Replies: 129
Views: 26845

Re: 1080: "Visual Field"

Alright, so the floaters have an explanation. On to another thing that bug me since childhood: Am I the only one, at night (or I guess anytime it's completely dark), to see the dark not uniformly black, but rather composed of a myriad of tiny color pixels on a black background? I mean it's not like...
by Pfhorrest
Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

So, Steve Waterman: I propose analyzing the Galilean equation without any references to geometry concepts such as points, coordinates, Cartesian systems and so on. The only mathematical concepts that must be used, for the abstract analysis I propose, are: Sets; Functions; and Algebra. Geometry shou...
by Pfhorrest
Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0002: "SAT Guessing"
Replies: 62
Views: 17767

Re: What-If 0002: SAT Guessing

As I said earlier, I believe the point of his question was "is there some specific criterion that constitutes 'statistical certainty', or is it just a rough statement of an undefined extremely high probability?" I believe his differentiation from "actual certainty" was just an ob...
by Pfhorrest
Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0001: "Relativistic Baseball"
Replies: 157
Views: 71245

Re: What-If 0001: Relativistic Baseball

jello34543 wrote:It is my understanding that if any part of the ball passes through the strike zone, it is a strike.

Not that this is directly relevant, but: what if the ball deflects off the batter, then through the strike zone?
by Pfhorrest
Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 am UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0002: "SAT Guessing"
Replies: 62
Views: 17767

Re: What It: SAT Guessing – wrong basic assumptions

You still haven't answered my question: how do you determine that something is just a regular certainty? Do you just know? Determining whether something is a member of a set is different from defining that set. For a topical example: we have a clear definition of what a Higgs Boson would be, given ...
by Pfhorrest
Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:17 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

I think KrytenKoro's experiment has failed, seeing as how this thread is full of a bunch of people talking over each other (and Steve ignoring most of them) again. If we're going to start over again some time, might I suggest something like this: We are going to walk through Steve's attempted dispro...
by Pfhorrest
Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

FWIW I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of this (and have even considered asking something similar myself, back when everyone and Steve were putting me forward as the point man).
by Pfhorrest
Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0231: "Cat Proximity"
Replies: 180
Views: 42272

Re: Re:

Parents say this sort of thing because they think society expects them to like taking care of their children, and because they think they would be absolute monsters for thinking taking care of their children is awful. And then they tell researchers that every aspect of their lives was made worse wi...
by Pfhorrest
Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

Global warming deniers are immune to science. [...] You will never get a consensus with them unless you adopt their assumptions, or you somehow persuade them to adopt yours. That's the whole point of reasoned debate. Persuasion. What happened to seeing what you can learn? "I'll show you mine i...
by Pfhorrest
Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

That sounds pleasant. So you figure that you are actually straightening something out in your own mind when you argue with Steve? Something about coordinate systems, maybe? I guess the Hedonist's Creed applies here: If it feels good, do it. Until it stops feeling good. Then quit. when you can expec...
by Pfhorrest
Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:49 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Steve, I notice that you have not replied to anything I have said for quite a while. Have you decided to ignore me as well?
by Pfhorrest
Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Steve, we are not stipulating premises of any sort. We are telling you what ordinary people mean by the words they use, and asking you to speak the same language so we can understand you. If you mean something different by "coordinate system" than everyone else, then things you say about y...
by Pfhorrest
Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

What he's talking about here is setting intellectual climates and ideological hatchet jobs. Mock somebody so that third parties will not take him seriously. Except that I'm not, if you'll read what I'm actually writing. I'm talking about being more patient with somebody than most would say they rea...
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

I agree with everything Hootie said, but also: Why not agree to disagree? What value is there in the argument? I started out with some hope that Waterman might be on to something, but pretty soon it was clear otherwise. He wants relativity to be false, so he argues that its most basic underpinnings ...
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1078: "Knights"
Replies: 164
Views: 50675

Re: 1078: "Knights"

W3ird_N3rd wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:We are the knights who say 'knee'!

No no no it's not that, it's "ni". You're not doing it properly.

Nuuuuu!

Bien sûr, there are also les knights who say "oui".
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

So if we have a blue sock three places to the right of a red sock, are they in the same place? NO. There are no "places". 1 SOCK = RED RED SOCK 1 2 SOCK = BLUE BLUE SOCK 2 1 sock.... 2 sock.... red sock.... blue sock.... so simple WATSON stop it, you'll make him a meme, like Timecube. He'...
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1077: "Home Organization"
Replies: 107
Views: 24976

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

clockworkbookreader wrote:Getting old sucks. Not as bad as the alternative

What's so bad about eternal youth?
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:46 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Steve, in the language of ordinary mathematicians ("with the Galilean premise" as you might say), R RED (2,0,0) = R BLUE (-1,0,0), is true of the scene depicted in your picture #115, whereas R RED (2,0,0) = B BLUE (2,0,0) if only true in the language that you use ("with your premise&q...
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:22 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

steve waterman wrote:Agreed. Using my premise, this is exactly what we get....as per #116,

RRED (2,0,0) CL 2 = RBLUE (-1,0,0) CL -1


So would you agree, in general, that:

PRED (x,0,0) CL N = PBLUE (x-3,0,0) CL N - 3[/quote]

For any P, x, and N?
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:24 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

R RED (2,0,0) CL 2 = R BLUE (-1,0,0) CL -1 B BLUE (2,0,0,) CL 2 = B RED (5,0,0) CL 5 B BLUE CL N = R RED CL N Don't those two examples you give right there show that, in your terms, B BLUE CL N = R RED CL N - 3? Because -1 = 2 - 3, and 2 = 5 - 3, like you just showed.
by Pfhorrest
Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

You're misunderstanding Phorrest's point, Max. The word niggardly isn't related to the racial epithet. The only way that using it would be a good indicator that a person was racist would be if they didn't know what it meant and misued it. No, I didn't. My point is that the word nigger does not make...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

What if xkck never tried a single premise of yours for 30 pages and over 1100 posts? Well, if we accepted the premise that "niggardly" was a racial slur, then it would be true that I'm a racist for using that word. Ok, I considered that premise. I would be a racist if "niggardly"...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:35 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Accepting x' = x-vt, is saying the MOVED RULER CHANGES. because those ARE equals signs. If you believe that, then you should also believe that accepting that Celsius = (Fahrenheit-32)/1.8 changes the temperature of things measured in Celsius. I contend, the galilean coordinate transformation, actua...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Wiki, "in terms of" "means" "relationship" Coordinate transformations which give formulas that equate the coordinates in one system to the coordinates in another system. What is 3 inches in terms of centimeters? 7.62 centimeters. Because 3in = 7.62cm. The scale is diff...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:37 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Not that Wiki is the most reliable source in the world, but quoth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system#Transformations_between_coordinate_systems : "Because there are often many different possible coordinate systems for describing geometrical figures, it is important to understand how...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

This is also kind of my point too. xkcd thinks the Galilean purpose is to represent the relationship between the two fixed systems. So did the people who invented it, and the people who use it every day for exactly that. You may as well contend that screwdrivers suck because they're horrible for po...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0812: "Glass"
Replies: 119
Views: 27134

Re: 0812: "Glass"

Is that what they did? They were ready to detect any anomalous result including those that could come from Higgs decay, and the ones that could come from Higgs decay were all they found? Pretty much, yes. Imagine there are millions or billions of locked safes all over the place. We've smashed a bun...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:43 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1078: "Knights"
Replies: 164
Views: 50675

Re: 1078: "Knights"

...and then Genghis Khan rode in with some mounted archers and everybody was fucked.
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0812: "Glass"
Replies: 119
Views: 27134

Re: 0812: "Glass"

It's not as bleak as you seem to think it is, JT. In other threads about yesterday's discovery I've been following all over the internet, a bunch of people are very disappointed that the Higgs boson was (plausibly) observed, because all that means is "none of the current contender theories are ...
by Pfhorrest
Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Please...why did you move them back again? Start with figure #115...and go red right 3 as the depiction says.. Do not move either system again please, as is your diagram ( not my diagram ), okay? I think the problem is nobody knows what you mean by "go red right 3". Ivnja wrote, right bef...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Most had not accepted the premise, and when i read that, I stopped reading that post. This is the problem. You see that someone disagrees with you, and you ignore them, instead of listening to their arguments why your "premise" is either nonsense or irrelevant, based on a misunderstanding...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0812: "Glass"
Replies: 119
Views: 27134

Re: 0812: "Glass"

Apparently the LHC figured it out. Or rather they figured out how to remove the Higgs field from a tiny mass. Any real physicists feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case. As I understand it, the Higgs mechanism is not about where mass in general , as in the stuff that is e...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:34 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Yes, certainly. hence the symbol => means reading which number on one ruler lines up with a number on another ruler Nobody in the real world uses that symbol to mean that but you, and none of us have agreed to let it mean that for the purposes of this discussion. Everyone else uses the equals sign ...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

I know this is just too simple an explanation. Coincident red and blue rulers and we move a ruler 3 wrt the other. The red and blue rulers are both PHYSICALLY the same as RULERS as they were at coincidence. Comments please. True, but largely irrelevant to the subject of coordinate transformations. ...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:02 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

That is the problem...you are not tracking with enough stuff to make distinction. No, the fact that you think there is more we need to track means you misunderstand the problem at hand and are trying to solve a different problem. A coordinate transformation is a way to find any ONE point's coordina...
by Pfhorrest
Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Relativity or something [Split from "Pressures"]
Replies: 5149
Views: 423269

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Agreed. I just think we should talk about two coordinate systems, call them S and S' and forget for now about either of them being in motion, and just ask how to calculate the coordinates (x',y',z') S' of a point, given some coordinates (x,y,z) S for that same point, and the offset distance d be...

Go to advanced search