Search found 19251 matches

by Belial
Mon May 12, 2014 12:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

You mean the band that interrupted a concert their fans had payed for to preach at them? That wasn't an action they did in private. Well, the fans in London loved them for it. It happened in there. During a London concert ten days before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, lead vocalist Maines said, "w...
by Belial
Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)
Replies: 2102
Views: 295439

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Ixy, what you are doing is rape apologetics. I am not interested in arguing about this. Just hush.
by Belial
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gay Activism & Trans Rights
Replies: 335
Views: 38403

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Oh, I mean, I agree. The way to do it is to support all equality causes and call out anyone who fails to do likewise.

I was just trying to clarify before things got weird.
by Belial
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:09 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gay Activism & Trans Rights
Replies: 335
Views: 38403

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Or maybe not the last sentence? I really don't follow the 'growth of opposition' bit. Brace is, I think, referring to the fact that once people "get theirs" they tend to be much more willing to side with the status quo, so therefore letting cis gay people become part of "the establis...
by Belial
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gay Activism & Trans Rights
Replies: 335
Views: 38403

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

That said, yeah...we can always divide into smaller groups that squabble with each other. In the end, for sufficiently detailed views, everyone is a minority of one. Alliance-building is the only way to accomplish anything. I think Brace's argument is more that cisgays can probably achieve their go...
by Belial
Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:40 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Gay Activism & Trans Rights
Replies: 335
Views: 38403

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Whether or not we consider him a homophobe has very little bearing on what kind of consequences we think he should suffer - those consequences are all about the homophobic actions he took (i.e. his donation). Again, you are assuming that supporting a procreation-oriented vision of marriage over one...
by Belial
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

I've said it many, many times, but I do not care about your deep secret inner heart. I care about the shit you are doing.
by Belial
Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Using the same word for a fear of gays and discrimination against them is extremely imprecise Not really, because basically no one actually uses it for the former definition. There is a time and a place to call a racist a racist, or a homophobe. But not all the time and not all the people who disag...
by Belial
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Sure. It was a fully off-the-cuff example. Though one does not strictly need to be sexual to have a partner, nor does one need to be 'partnered' with someone to be their dance partner.
by Belial
Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Sexualist? Sounds like a really saucy medium. Heteronormative? Refers to a separate and still-useful concept, specifically the idea that our society treats heterosexuality as "assumed". When the announcer at your school dance says "Guys, grab your gal", that's heteronormative. I...
by Belial
Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

And if you can't get past the etymology to realize that "homophobia" is the sexual-minority-equivalent of "racism" or "sexism" and not a literal statement of fear, then I'm not sure how to help you.
by Belial
Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

But I still want my email address back. I do not trust you to protect it under the circumstances. You know how everyone moralizes to tweens about how things they put online can't ever be reliably taken back so they should be careful what they put out there? I hope you've learned the sort of valuabl...
by Belial
Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And where the fuck's the non sequitor? I posted that my online service options are limited for financial reasons since I've developed health problems, lost my job and retirement accounts after the big Crash. That sure as hell's no non sequitor! The reason it's a non sequitur is that people are tell...
by Belial
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

You mean like, zmic believes he has good reasons to feel superior to everyone else having this discussion, and everyone else having this discussion believes they have good reasons to feel superior to zmic? And since you're capable of phrasing them as equal sides of an ultimately meaningless argumen...
by Belial
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

You mean like, zmic believes he has good reasons to feel superior to everyone else having this discussion, and everyone else having this discussion believes they have good reasons to feel superior to zmic? And since you're capable of phrasing them as equal sides of an ultimately meaningless argumen...
by Belial
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Eich believes he has good reasons to do what he does, and you believe you have good reasons to do what you do. And what's important is that you've found a way to abstract yourself from the issue so as to feel superior to both sides. Get this human a medal. Be careful, though, lest you have your sel...
by Belial
Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:03 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

If continued, careful, reasonable discussion doesn't lead anywhere with you, then you are in fact an asshole. We're talking in circles at this point, since I've said these things before, but "if an asshole is unpersuadable by logic, it's unlikely that asshole is persuadable by the addition of ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Also, if calling someone odious is the worst reaction you think an oppressed person can have to oppression, I want to come live in your fluffy puppy paradise. I don't believe I said that. I said, if I'm being odious and bastardly, you're more likely to change my opinion by making a polite and civil...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Image
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The issue I have with this comic is that it seems to assume that might makes right. Sure, going onto Stormfront to argue that black people really aren't inferior may not be the best use of time, and the Stormfronters will probably be happy to "show you the door" (aka ban you), but that do...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:25 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Unfortunately there has never been civility There has been when decent people attempt to stay civil. Rosa Parks, to my knowledge, never called her opponents "odious". The Dalai Lama, I am sure, has never called anyone "a bastard" for disagreeing with him. Unfortunately, today we...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:28 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Could your ISP boycott firefox by refusing service to people who used it, like OK Cupid did? :D First: While they would have been within their rights to, OKC didn't actually "boycott" firefox, they just added a splash page. If you clicked the link at the bottom, you were taken to the OKC ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

the previous mention of a Disney villain in the thread. "I have no clue what anyone has even been talking about", but it's "Disney-villain-level evil. That's over-the-top, caricature-level nonsense. I'm not sure how you can't see that." "Carlington didn't read the thread, s...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:45 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

And I have to admit that I cringed upon registering here when I saw the terms I had to agree to ("You agree that “xkcd” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.") That doesn't inspire me to expect a free exchange of ideas (although I would hop...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

If this was during the prop 8 fight, and some CEO started donating money, well...fight's ongoing. What you do matters a lot. Gonna be perceived differently than bringing up old baggage. For all that you're throwing around claims like "tactically unwise" I'm not sure you've thought this th...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:08 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

gmalivuk wrote:
Weeks wrote:But what about the time we bribed Belial with booze?

...you say that as if it only happened the one time.


There can always be more times. I can't help but notice the lack of a drink in my hand.
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The goal is groupthink and rightthink straight out of Clockwork Orange and 1984, not to mention Saul Alinsky. Dissent is beat down, following the group is safe. Most people aren't even informed enough to actually form their own opinion anyway, they join the groupthink just because they know instinc...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Does traditional debate reinforce White Privilege?
Replies: 96
Views: 19193

Re: Does traditional debate reinforce White Privilege?

when was the last time a Bollywood movie was shown in your local movie theater? Last friday in cambridge, actually. I came out of Winter Soldier at the Apple Cinemas just as the bollywood flick next door was letting out. Ton of happy indian folks getting to see bollywood stuff on the big screen. It...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:04 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

You... don't really get how analogies are supposed to work, do you? Picking something no one today cares about is not useful to anyone, because the whole point of an analogy in the first place was to liken the current situation to another situation about which participants have some intuitions and ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

You... don't really get how analogies are supposed to work, do you? Picking something no one today cares about is not useful to anyone, because the whole point of an analogy in the first place was to liken the current situation to another situation about which participants have some intuitions and ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Almost everything that people have strong disagreements on is framed in terms of both sides having some legitimate grievance with the other. Please use your own ability to think, in order to critically assess those grievances. Can you see why "I'm angry that indigenous peoples are wasting all ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

From my spotty remembrance of english history, it also came down to two sides who were equally zealous about destroying and disempowering each other. There is no "strip rights from straight people" movement in the US. It is impossible to imply that both "sides" of the gay rights ...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

Altereggo wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:We lost you? Oh, that is a shame.


Your tactics are losing everyone


Citation needed.
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:23 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

People keep comparing Eich to someone supporting the Holocaust, as if half of California voted in favour of the holocaust just a few election cycles ago. "Content fucking matters", but so does how widely held a belief is. So it would have been okay if he'd been a Holocaust supporter, just...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

It is entirely possible for somebody to oppose gay rights while not actively hating homosexuals, and this is something that I think many homosexuals are unable or unwilling to accept. No, it just doesn't matter at all. If I smash your car because I hate you, and then I smash your neighbor's car bec...
by Belial
Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:1. I don't think you understand the comic
2. "I shouldn't murder because it's illegal" is a weak argument.


And, to build on what TMT is saying:

3. If 2 is the best reason you can think of not to kill people, you are a deeply scary person.
by Belial
Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

Edit: Note that the comic just talks about the importance of speaking your beliefs and letting your creativity be free- it doesn't say "and it better not cost me any jobs!" Seriously. The point of that comic is that you shouldn't care, not that it shouldn't happen. And I should hope it al...
by Belial
Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I demand that everyone here tolerate my intolerance of intolerance. Yeah, that's right, I said something that only makes a weird recursive sort of sense on paper due to a language trick and some hazy definitions. NOW I'M RIGHT, up until the moment someone realizes they can add another "of intol...
by Belial
Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO
Replies: 874
Views: 73924

Re: Brendan Eich steps down as Mozilla CEO

setzer777 wrote:Edit: Note that the comic just talks about the importance of speaking your beliefs and letting your creativity be free- it doesn't say "and it better not cost me any jobs!"


Seriously. The point of that comic is that you shouldn't care, not that it shouldn't happen.
by Belial
Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1357: "Free Speech"
Replies: 1346
Views: 149746

Re: 1357: "Free Speech"

I feel that much of the discussion in this thread has been along the lines of: A1 (comic). It is okay for private/organizations to: yell at, boycott, cancel the show of, ban from an internet community, ask to resign, oust, discriminate against, or censor people with unpopular "bullshit" o...

Go to advanced search