Search found 6184 matches

by Princess Marzipan
Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Well, I'd like it to happen with as little upset to the status quo as possible. Build recruitment and make money and advance as a society without upsetting the current society, until the minority has enough strength to form its own society where what was its deviance is now the norm. Practically, I...
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Steroid, how do you expect social change to come to pass, if it's wrong to oppose the existing social order? For all your unsubstantiated claims that Christianity has some sort of right-by-victory to enshrine into law its prejudices, you seem to be forgetting that Christianity was once as fringe as ...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

To you, power is the source of oppression. To me, it's evidence of past success. The problem here is that you believe that "success" means an inherent objective superiority across all possible measurements. All we can observe about "success" is that these ideas remained the domi...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:44 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigger)
Replies: 192
Views: 17399

Re: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigge

Aborting a fetus created by a rape has absolutely nothing to do with punishment. At all.

So saying "punish the rapist, not the [fetus]" is a complete non-sequitur.
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:10 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigger)
Replies: 192
Views: 17399

Re: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigge

"But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. You know I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child." What did I just read!? To be honest, I think living your entire life as the product of a rape that your ...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

But no one is seriously calling for christians to be stigmatized or oppressed. Which means it's not the symmetrical struggle that you're trying to paint, it's not two groups trying to oppress each other, it's one group saying "we want to be treated equally" and another group saying "...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:23 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

For the first part, what has the FRC specifically done --not said, preached, or argued,but done--to prevent homosexuals (you used "gays" as a noun! Don't let yurell know!) from brazenly displaying their sexuality, preventing them from getting married*, etc? If the standard is based in the...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:02 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigger)
Replies: 192
Views: 17399

Re: Rep. Akin: Rape doesn't cause pregnancy (possible trigge

yurell wrote:This makes me rage so hard. How can anyone in public office get away with saying shit like that?
There are enough voters who in agreement. :(
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Mad Mike wrote:Rereading that post, I look like an idiot.....
We all do from time to time. Not too many people are able to admit it, though, so you've got more of a chance than most at preventing similar mistakes in the future.
by Princess Marzipan
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

They're trying to "cure" gays. If that is sufficient to be a hate group, then so is wanting to convert Christians, or wanting them to abandon their social and political views. Is there, to you, a difference between "everyone must do things my way" and "everyone must stop pr...
by Princess Marzipan
Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

To clarify the frustration you're seeing, Mike, no one's denying your claim that you've been treated unfairly by the police. That's kind of a thing that they do, far too frequently. But when you say [...] my demographic is often specifically targeted - rather than the local young black population, w...
by Princess Marzipan
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:43 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Your experience as a young white male with all the privilege (and therefore privilege-blindness) thus entailed, yes, just that.
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

http://arnade.tumblr.com/post/28834272034/how-to-get-a-ticket-if-white-in-hunts-point A banker who takes pictures of drug addicts, sex workers, the homeless, and other people for his tumblr shares an anecdote about how cops are petty hypocrites. Wow. That is absolutely absurd, and an example of bla...
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Why shouldn't I, or any of the people at the FRC stand there with the WBC crew and cheer when one of you suffers? Maybe you have an active empathy gland? I mean, YOU clearly don't, but anyone who has one should notice its activation upon hearing about people being beaten or killed because of their ...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13964
Views: 1886000

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

bigglesworth wrote:Because you don't have empathy for parents? That's what this is about.
That's part of what it's about. It's also about the ridiculous and unnecessary stigma against tattoos.
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 13964
Views: 1886000

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo I try to have a good amount of empathy but I just have none here. Put out the bunting, crack open the beers, stand there in the kitchen smiling from ear to ear, because he's home – our student son is home and the fam...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Shooting at Christian organization in DC
Replies: 230
Views: 22710

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

No John, you are the demons guy running around politicizing shootings.
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Community Mafia - D5 - Game Over Town Wins
Replies: 503
Views: 35877

Re: Community Mafia - Pre game

I'm all for lynChang roband.

Confirming!
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: Why must we conjugate verbs in English?
Replies: 17
Views: 6666

Why must we conjugate verbs in English?

This question occurred to me during a conversation with a friend about differences in languages. Conjugating a verb makes sure the verb form matches with the subject performing the verb action. In a language where subjects can be dropped entirely and the conjugation of the verb is a grammatically co...
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:03 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: The Oxford Comma
Replies: 26
Views: 12931

Re: The Oxford Comma

Wow, I never post or even LOOK here and I visit to do so and find a thread about my favorite punctuation mark.

Oh yes, the Oxford Comma is wonderful indeed.
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: College busts student for register service, then yanks idea
Replies: 49
Views: 5283

Re: College busts student for register service, then yanks i

“As we implement our enhanced registration process — one that is free and compatible with our systems — we invite the developer of the outside website, and others, to help us make UCF more efficient ," said Grant Heston, UCF associate vice-president for communications, on the site. "Any i...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: College busts student for register service, then yanks idea
Replies: 49
Views: 5283

Re: College busts student for register service, then yanks i

I didn't say he did so flawlessly. To reiterate what I DID say, blocking his server from accessing the university's systems was sufficient to solve any problems it caused and therefore I don't see what good comes of punishing him. (I wouldn't mind if he were then threatened with sanctions should he ...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:39 am UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Community
Replies: 188
Views: 99773

Re: Community

Here's the post with the game info: viewtopic.php?p=3090875#p3090875

You'll want to head to the LAST page, ctrl+f for community, and reply to the most recent post by quoting the signups and adding your name next to an open number.
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:37 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)
Replies: 7186
Views: 612758

Re: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)

Wow, sure Brita'd that.
Sorry about those quote tags.
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)
Replies: 7186
Views: 612758

Re: Sign-ups (for PLAYERS)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1vi8F9Zh5aU/T7nFtK0phtI/AAAAAAAAAs4/x6e9pbSBB4E/s1600/greendale%2Bflag.png Community mafia You all know something is wrong at greendale lets get together and fix it. General info: This will be a game with reasonably simple mechanics but every role will have a power. As for...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: College busts student for register service, then yanks idea
Replies: 49
Views: 5283

Re: College busts student for register service, then yanks i

The point of my post (I somehow never remember to include points in posts) was that there is a difference between making money off an existing brand by using it as a marketing tool and making money by adding value/convenience to an existing service. This difference makes the McDonald's analogy inapp...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: College busts student for register service, then yanks idea
Replies: 49
Views: 5283

Re: College busts student for register service, then yanks i

He was offering MORE than the school was, though. This is more like selling napkins inside a McDonald's that doesn't have any.
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 3 years in prison for 1 minute demonstration (Pussy Riot)
Replies: 39
Views: 6117

Re: 3 years in prison for 1 minute demonstration (Pussy Riot

CorruptUser wrote:
fifiste wrote:Well looks like I'm a damn seer. I might open my own crystal ball stand :D


...if only he hadn't been calling for leniency last week.
Yeah? We're talking about a crystal ball stand that shows you stuff that happened last week, so if the timing were different it wouldn't make much sense!
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: [Trigger Warning] Rapists Explain Themselves on Reddit
Replies: 41
Views: 11489

Re: [Trigger Warning] Rapists Explain Themselves on Reddit

Because with a public so wholly uneducated on what rape is, it's actually very easily conceivable that someone could commit the act without realizing they're doing it? And maybe if we can admit that there are varying levels of severity and intent, we can finally classify the less severe or intentio...
by Princess Marzipan
Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:46 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: [Trigger Warning] Rapists Explain Themselves on Reddit
Replies: 41
Views: 11489

Re: [Trigger Warning] Rapists Explain Themselves on Reddit

Because with a public so wholly uneducated on what rape is, it's actually very easily conceivable that someone could commit the act without realizing they're doing it? And maybe if we can admit that there are varying levels of severity and intent, we can finally classify the less severe or intention...
by Princess Marzipan
Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Would you mind spoilering some info on the idea of "fatally low" speed limits? It's off topic but I am (and perhaps others are) interested.
by Princess Marzipan
Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Portugal halving number of drug addicts in a decade
Replies: 46
Views: 6646

Re: Portugal halving number of drug addicts in a decade

And it's not even a problematic one, until it begins to override the desire to meet one's social responsibilities.
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:57 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 5322
Views: 730850

Re: Police misbehavior thread

And of course, they're apt to shoot humans as well.

Spoiler:
Image
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Look who else rape culture is hurting
Replies: 88
Views: 13097

Re: Look who else rape culture is hurting

Meaux_Pas wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:In before two page thread derailment.

I am so buying you a beer some time.
Yeah, that was eerily prescient.
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:17 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Texas rejects 'critical thinking skills'
Replies: 75
Views: 7738

Re: Texas rejects 'critical thinking skills'

Max™ wrote:this reminds me of the Louis C.K. sketch about his daughter asking "Why?" endlessly.
Spoiler:
Because SOMETHING has to ISN'T! Things that AREN'T can't BE!
by Princess Marzipan
Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:35 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Texas rejects 'critical thinking skills'
Replies: 75
Views: 7738

Re: Texas rejects 'critical thinking skills'

Max™ wrote:
The Great Hippo wrote:Frankly, if you don't think raising children to challenge every idea they encounter is a good idea, you don't belong anywhere near the education system.

Truth, the Hippo does speak.
I challenge this idea.

:)
by Princess Marzipan
Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:09 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 50177

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Is Stockholm Syndrome not evidence enough of this?
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 50177

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Ghostbear, while I don't think that "calm the fuck down" is warranted (frustration is valid, and simply stating one's frustration does not indicate it is overtaking rational thought), I am going to quote this "For the sake of my culture" is a terrible reason to do something perma...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 50177

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

I wouldn't advocate the practice of infant circumcision, by the way. I'm not advocating the practice. I'm not advocating a ban to the practice. I'm advocating collecting more data on the practice and its consequences, and deriving our position based on that information. I suspect that information w...
by Princess Marzipan
Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:34 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On Boys
Replies: 528
Views: 50177

Re: German Court Rules Religious Circumcision An Assault On

Given that, aren't we then just hurting a baby for the hell of it? I mean, no one would remember if as a baby they had a cigarette put out on their leg, but we still don't do it. Not because it might leave a scar and the person the baby grows into might not like that, but because subjecting a baby ...

Go to advanced search