Search found 589 matches

by GoC
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:04 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

As for the advice that was give to the OP by GoC: I do agree that it is better then simply pirating all your content, however, there are other moral quandaries to be solved. For instance, who do you give your 'content' money to? Do you slowly dole it out over the year, and perhaps attempting to rew...
by GoC
Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:52 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Complete irrelevancy. Entertainment is a luxury, as is beer. You don't get to tell other people how to spend their entertainment money. I don't drink anymore but if I still did, and hypothetically if pirating was not an option, I guarantee I'd still prioritize a fifth of jager over a cd. When you'r...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

The post in question was directly primarily at Meatyochre, as is the following. The argument I made was that if there's no loss of income to Gaga as a result of my download, why shouldn't I download it? You are once again using the 'victim-less crime' theory. But piracy provable has resulted in low...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:35 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

And why is deciding between beers/media any less valid than textbooks/media? If the choice would invariably be beer and textbooks instead of media, it doesn't seem relevant to draw a line between the two items. One is a luxury item while the other is a (sort of) necessity. I can either take your wo...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Media and 2000's Paranoia
Replies: 49
Views: 6655

Re: The Media and 2000's Paranoia

As another example of the media's influence, look at how it's portraying Iran. We're preparing for an invasion of Iran, supposedly because of its attempts to acquire nuclear weapons. However, North Korea already has nuclear weapons , and is even threatening South Korea in response to South Korea's ...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:07 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Yes, all the costs of making a movie are up front. That doesn't make your point valid. There is still a cost. Do you recall my original point? It was that the examples are not equivalent due to running costs and thus might have different moral values in a hypothetical moral system. Your logic is in...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:05 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Gah, I've had too much free time recently... I agree that your example 3 is a pretty good parallel. It's good but not perfect. The difference is that Bob is required to spend money to continue maintaining his shop. And if his shop goes bust neither you nor anyone else will be able to use the bicycl...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

This is such a complex theory... Doesn't rule it out. It does however give it a likelihood of less than one in a google compared to more scientific theories. :P You can explain away any observations with a sufficiently complex theory but that theory far less likely to have the predictive power of t...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Gah, I've had too much free time recently... I agree that your example 3 is a pretty good parallel. It's good but not perfect. The difference is that Bob is required to spend money to continue maintaining his shop. And if his shop goes bust neither you nor anyone else will be able to use the bicycle...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:52 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

There is no knowledge, there is skepticism. Try Bayesian reasoning. You'll like it. :) Isn't that based on the scientific method? Nope. It implies the scientific method but not the other way round. You could sortof say the scientific method is based on Bayesian reasoning if not for history getting ...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

The motivations line was aimed at the OP. Oh yeah, that reminds me that I haven't actually given the OP advice. I'd advise going for one year without piracy and count how much money you spend on IP. Every year afterwards you must spend an amount equivalent* to that on IP and then you're morally fre...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:17 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

The truth is that people who pirate material, do so to avoid paying for it. Completely true, but this is not necessarily wrong. I sincerely hope you obtain the moral fortitude to be honest with yourself about your motivations. Motivations to do what? Pirate things? We all agree that the motive is a...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1588
Views: 366753

Re: My number is bigger!

Raptortech97: Your lvl function is basically the Ackermann function.* Applying that to Graham's number is like doubling a Googleplex. Sure, it's much larger but the difference still doesn't seem very much.

*
lvl(a,b,1)=a+b
lvl(a,b,2)=a*b
lvl(a,b,3)=a^b
ect.
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:05 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

Dark567 wrote:There is no knowledge, there is skepticism.

Try Bayesian reasoning. You'll like it. :)
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Or microsoft windows in a country that has pirated versions pre-installed on all comps (which if bought legally would double the cost of said comps)? In this case the answer is obvious: Yes, you're depriving Microsoft of revenue. However, if the country has educational exemptions, there's no moral ...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

What boundaries? The ones I mentioned in my question. I gave a ton of questions to clarify what I meant by boundaries but it seems you didn't answer them. Can you do so (not meant as a criticism, just a request)? Are you saying that there only are two categories (living and non-living)? This is som...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

btw: Doesn't my buying a Pepsi deprive Coca-Cola of real money? Does me not dropping a few coins in the cup of a hobo deprive him of real money? How are these valid comparisons to piracy? Coca-Cola isn't providing you with a product or service when you buy a Pepsi, so you are just making your choic...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: The Flood versus EVERYTHING
Replies: 184
Views: 46008

Re: The Flood versus EVERYTHING

Lrn2Warhammer40k wrote:*snip*

Flood can violate the laws of physics in numerous ways. For instance they can turn metal into biomass.
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

Ok, see it as a three-step system 1. God knows knows how things really are. He can 'see' their substance directly, and he created them. 2. We fallible beings have to rely on our senses, and only get to see the attributes of things. 3. We use our language and reason to order the world we witness. Th...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Food crisis in Niger
Replies: 78
Views: 6796

Re: Food crisis in Niger

@SquareRootofBlue: Third world debt is a complicated subject which I greatly doubt you are qualified to comment on (though by all means feel free to prove me wrong). @Eyat: Well, for one, many western nations were former colonial holders of these african nations and did quite a number on their agric...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

@Azrael: All pirates deprive producers of real money? I once pirated a piece of software worth $3600 (half my family's annual income at the time) to do a quick model for a hobby I had. I used it for a grand total of two hours before giving up and deleting the program. How the fritz was anyone depri...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Piracy
Replies: 109
Views: 12641

Re: Biological nature of Information and the Morality of Pir

Or you just want a justification for piracy? The closest you will ever get to a justification is saying that you will only pirate something you would never pay for or is impossible to buy legally. iow: People like me with a net worth of $400 USD and an income of $0USD (yay freeloaders!). :D @Azrael...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

So to have free will you need to have an output that does not vary given the input... ie. you must act the same way regardless of what your senses are telling you or what they have told you in the past. Correct? No, to have 'freewill' you need to have an output that is not determined by the input b...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:58 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

But all statements are intended to have meaning, and that is something that can have the property of being true or false. "Colourless..." fails to have meaning because it is not correctly built. "Xrtyies..." is not known to have meaning because the nouns are unfamiliar. Hence fo...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:20 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

No, it's insufficient. I'd define it as something that takes an input and generates an output based on that given input. Pedantic I know but I think the distinction is important. So to have free will you need to have an output that does not vary given the input... ie. you must act the same way rega...
by GoC
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

Now, in connection to your statement in the first post that philosophy or religion may deal in sentences with no connection to reality, I have this to say: words are part of reality, so sentences must be. Even the sentence "colourless green ideas sleep furiously" is part of reality, even ...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

The statement 'Humans have sandbags ' means 'Humans have the ability to freely choose'. The keyword is 'freely', which indicates that the decision isn't determined by an algorithm (in the case of a computer) or a deterministic universe (conceptually similar to an algorithm, just an insanely complex...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

That's because the traditional definition contradicts the deterministic universe, as such, people have been trying to redefine it to something that is compatible with a deterministic universe and portrays us as more than cogs in a machine - it's no surprise that they haven't been successful. Yeah, ...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:07 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

Shouldn't the various philosophy threads (and the religious ones) have done this in the OP then? Yes, but it can be a bit pedantic at times - as you can imagine after 5000 debates of the existence of freewill there is no longer any real need to define what freewill is. Other things such as morality...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

But try looking at it the other way round: what if objects and categories are the most important, and their physical manifestation is the derivative. Doesn't help. Because you're still left with the question about what the objects and categories are. The suggested answer is God's categories. But wh...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Is Java is a bad language for beginners?
Replies: 234
Views: 129285

Re: Is Java is a bad language for beginners?

Xanthir wrote:Right, PE problems typically count as "trivial" in terms of implementation, and so the speed benefits gained from lifting the whole thing to registers, avoiding the stack and the heap, can be substantial.
What are PE problems?
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:25 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Media and 2000's Paranoia
Replies: 49
Views: 6655

Re: The Media and 2000's Paranoia

So look around and find the simplest theory that fits all the evidence (you are likely going to have to include exceptions in the theory length) and use that. [Emphasis added] You mean all the evidence available to a person, all the evidence evaluated, or all the evidence in existence? Available to...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:39 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

I'm still not getting it, so... According to Roman theology, there is more to the definition of a substance than its physical properites, or "accidents." There are properties which, although not subject to empirical, sensory verification, nonetheless define the substance. But where are the...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:08 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: The Media and 2000's Paranoia
Replies: 49
Views: 6655

Re: The Media and 2000's Paranoia

Creationism is a philosophical issue. Everything is a philosophical issue. Are we allowed to call any viewpoints stupid? What does the word "idiot" mean to you? There are also two types of creationism. One believes that the predictions of theories in biology, geology and cosmology are cor...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:53 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

Bread being flesh, but still having the properties of bread? Wine being blood, but still having the properties of blood? How can this be possible? I think that the way the Church describes it is in terms of Aristotle's Metaphysics . Basically Aristotle said that every object has substance and every...
by GoC
Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Re: Understanding philosophy?

SnakesNDMartyrs wrote:Then you poorly misunderstand philosophy, the basis of any philosophical debate should be a definition of terms to remove ambiguity.

Shouldn't the various philosophy threads (and the religious ones) have done this in the OP then?
by GoC
Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:13 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Understanding philosophy?
Replies: 42
Views: 6013

Understanding philosophy?

Am I the only person who often finds philosophy/religious speak incomprehensible? :? For instance philosophical writings on free will often contain sentences I can parse about as well as "Extensions of art generally exist within the rights of a state.". The words are all real words and the...
by GoC
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:59 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Loli Suspect Sentenced
Replies: 85
Views: 12804

Re: Loli Suspect Sentenced

Glmclain wrote:Oh Shitttt

Damn you! Now I'm going to prison. :cry:
by GoC
Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:44 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union?
Replies: 71
Views: 9957

Re: Transubstantiation? Consubstantiation? Sacramental Union

Whimsical Eloquence wrote:Are the two natures, divine and human, distinct and separate? Or are they a unified whole (while still being two natures...)?

Or even: "What does it mean for them to be distinct and separate or a unified whole?" :mrgreen:
by GoC
Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:12 am UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Is Java is a bad language for beginners?
Replies: 234
Views: 129285

Re: Is Java is a bad language for beginners?

My progression was: BASIC, Redcode*, C, Java. No doubt I'm going to get flamed for that last transition. :roll:
Why don't more people write in assembly? I could do boatloads of stuff in Redcode and I've heard C is considerably slower than assembly.

Go to advanced search