SonicWall now blocks XKCD

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

SonicWall now blocks XKCD

Postby YoDon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

As of this week I can no longer see XKCD at my office, due to SonicWall, a content filter service my company subscribes to. It is not blocked as "Adult/Mature Content". As this is the same service some businesses that offer public wifi use (Panera Bread in particular), this may mean XKCD has been dropped from a lot of public places.

I don't blame you, guy. I blame SonicWall. They're most anal about the smallest things. Only recently has my office gotten access again to MySpace, which was also listed as "Adult/Mature". principiadiscordia.com was listed as "Occult"; now it's still blocked, but listed as "Other". My best guess is that what did it for XKCD was the sexual positions strip...as far as I can tell, these people have little brain and less sense of humor.

I don't know if there's an appeal process; their website isn't very revealing. Good luck...
YoDon

Re: SonicWall now blocks XKCD

Postby semicolon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Complaining to the higher-ups is probably going to be more effective, if it all, than complaining to the people at the company. If you can demonstrate that the filtering system is either useless or directly harmful to your ability to get work done (the latter being more convincing), they might just throw the whole thing out altogether. Personally, I think it's disgusting that a bunch of suits think they need to pay a bunch of other suits to filter content, but whatever.
semicolon

Postby Drew_E » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 am UTC

So your only problem is that it blocks something that *you personally* think should not be blocked. I bet there are a hundred other people who think something else should not be filtered, but which both of you think should be (ie you only care about this because it personally affected you, you couldn't give a damn if someone else was having problems with other content you disagreed with)...This is why as many people everywhere should be for free speech/no-censorship. I have noticed online the remarkable willingness of just about anyone to block comments and speech they personally thought/deemed offensive/over the top for them, citing private property.

You have to ask the question: Why do private hosts all over the internet, not support the principles of free speech? I think if you consider this for a minute, it may slowly dawn on you how serious the situation has become if the citizens of all countries do not support these principles. In democratic countries, such opinions could easily feedback into the government, leading to a greater censorship mentality amongst elected officials and bureacrats. And if everything is privately owned...then everything will be privately censored by intolerant people as this topic indicates.
Drew_E

Postby RealGrouchy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:17 am UTC

The Site/Forum issues forum is not for general discussion. New users are suggested to first post in the Introductions thread and to abide by forum rules.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby Drew_E » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:48 am UTC

and to abide by forum rules.

this is my point. no one cares about censoring/silencing people on their "private property" and trashing the principle of free speech...it's rampant online
Drew_E

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 am UTC

Drew_E wrote:
and to abide by forum rules.

this is my point. no one cares about censoring/silencing people on their "private property" and trashing the principle of free speech...it's rampant online

We actually have a forum here that is completely without moderation. To access it, you need to contact Jack Saladin.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=66

Everywhere else, there are rules. Get over it.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:08 am UTC

So it's your fault people keep PMing me about that! Nobody needs to fucking contact me, you can join it through your UCP.

Also S/FI is not for general discussion, etc, lock'd.
Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:etc, lock'd.
Shit, I just realized I'd save myself a lot of time if I made that into my signature...

Hold on...

Sig'd.

Also, some people might be wondering what "UCP" stands for, but can't ask because the thread is locked. UCP is like UUCP, but "U" weren't invited.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Return to Site/Forum issues