Is there math markup here?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fishfry

Is there math markup here?

Postby fishfry » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Sorry if I missed something obvious ... I couldn't get the math tag to work. I found some old posts saying the site supports LaTeX but the examples weren't rendering in my browser.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Is there math markup here?

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 am UTC

What subforums were you on?

Are you using prosilver or subsilver?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

fishfry

Postby fishfry » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What subforums were you on?

Are you using prosilver or subsilver?

Math forum. Don't know what prosilver or subsilver are. Using Chrome on OS X. No problem using LaTeX on other sites.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 am UTC

No, the [math] tags haven't worked since the last update, and probably should be removed from the UI.

I use the TeX the World greasemonkey script, which will mathify anything that ends with ;] and begins with [;
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

fishfry

Postby fishfry » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:No, the [math] tags haven't worked since the last update, and probably should be removed from the UI.

I use the TeX the World greasemonkey script, which will mathify anything that ends with ;] and begins with [;

Sorry, not following. Are you saying I can use a plugin to make math symbols appear in my browser? The requirement is for me to be able to write markup that makes math symbols appear on everyone else's browser.

I recently posted something in the Math forum that required numerous "element of" and "not an element of" set theory symbols. There's no good ascii equivalent for this. I guess I still don't understand if there's math markup on this site and if so, how to use it.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

A browser plugin helps you to see the math stuff correctly but doesn't help others unless they have the plugin too.

However, you're not limited to ASCII here, you can use the math symbols Unicode has, which should work fairly well. Doesn't help with the more complicated layouts some equations have, but I got the impression that doesn't necessarily pose a problem in this case.

You could simply copy the needed symbols from Wikipedia's List of mathematical symbols and paste them into your post, like this: ∋ ⊆ ∩

Edit: I realize this subforum is mostly supposed to have moderators responding to the questions and requests, but I thought this post would still be okay to make.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

fishfry wrote:Sorry, not following. Are you saying I can use a plugin to make math symbols appear in my browser? The requirement is for me to be able to write markup that makes math symbols appear on everyone else's browser.
Yes, and if they care to see the symbols in your post, they can feel free to install the same plugin.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

You could also use something like this and insert the .gif into your post.

This works loads better than the [math] tags ever did.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

regarding set membership, what about "in" and "not in". Its pretty clear what the meaning is.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Yeah, one of the problems when we had jsMath was people using it for things that really didn't need it, and slowing down everyone's page loading times as a result. If you have a lot of integrals and complicated fractions and nested sets of parentheses, markup makes it a lot easier to understand and potential slow loading times are worth it. If you're just talking about simple sets and membership, it probably doesn't help understanding very much, and becomes purely an asthetic issue.
---

(he/him/his)

Schrollini

Postby Schrollini » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 am UTC

I've been getting annoyed at trying to write math markup in BBCode, so I wrote a little javascript converter to turn simple math-mode LaTeX into unicode characters and BBCode. It doesn't handle complicated stuff, but it does enough to turn "F(k) \equiv\ \int dx f(x) e^{ikx}" into F(k) ≡ ∫dx f(x) eikx.

You can try it out here. I hope y'all find it useful.
For your convenience: a LaTeX to BBCode converter

Return to “Site/Forum issues”