What are "spam-like words"?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sudo make me a username

What are "spam-like words"?

Postby sudo make me a username » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

I'm new here and I wrote quite a long introduction post but it was rejected with the message "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied". Reading the FAQ here it says messages with "spam-like words" may be denied with that message if my post count is less than 5, but it doesn't say what are "spam-like words" which could help me edit the post to make it acceptable. And now it ruined my introduction, making this lousy post my first one :roll: . Any tips?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: What are "spam-like words"?

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

No.

Re - Forum Rules, Rule #3's breakdown.

That said, there is a list of acceptable and unacceptable words or fragments that first time posters can and cannot use. www will be immediately flagged as spam, as will .com or http. This means that if you fail to hit space between a period and the word commence, it will be blocked as spam as it hits the ".com" flag. You will get a message stating "This message has been flagged as spam and has been blocked" if you attempt to do so. This will go away once you have a few posts under your belt. We do apologize for this inconvenience, but your momentary inconvenience is outweighed by our convenience of not having to block 500+ spam messages a day.

And no, the list of blocked words will not be made public.

That should give you an idea of what you're looking at. Post in English to start, don't have any links no matter how relevant they appear, and don't talk about footware. Outside of that, we cannot help you.

Your introduction in the intro thread is not meant to be a biography, it's meant to be a short statement about yourself and a couple of likes and dislikes, maybe a reason for joining.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Outside of that, we cannot help you.

More "will not" rather than "cannot". We could publish the spam word list but that would be incredibly stupid counterproductive.

The list has 43 entries. Three of them are http, www, and .com. Don't post links, yo.

There are only a very few that can catch you by surprise -- unless your intro is about erectile dysfunction, trendy teen-girl boots, over priced headphones, poorly filmed amorous encounters, fancy watches or red-soled heels. So, you might have an issue if:

• You're from the Garden State, rather than selling sports-related outerwear
  • Your name is shared by an ex-basketballer of some repute from Chicago
  • You're talking about your favorite computer or video based leisure activity, which happens to be a homograph commonly used for gambling (which you also can't talk about, in any of it's forms)
  • You used another adjective for 'inexpensive', specifically the one that starts with the third letter of the Latin alphabet

This is not an invitation to start guessing the rest of the list. Seriously, whatever any of you are about to type? Just stop. No, I'm not going to lock the thread yet. Yes, this is a trap.

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Yeah, the problem was links. I removed them and the post was accepted. It's not a biography, it's more like a little story about my history with xkcd. I meant to post it as my own thread and then I saw the intro thread so I decided it's a better place. Maybe it's not. I sent it already as reply to the intro thread.
By the way I think you should say something about links in the FAQ or the error message. I don't think new users trying to link to, say, their favourite xkcd comic are very uncommon, and most won't realize what's wrong and just leave the forums.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

It's explicitly described in the rules, both the behavior and that new users are prohibited from posting links before they hit five posts.

The FAQ in this sub-forum also points out that new users are prohibited from posting links.

If a user cannot bother to read the rules, we have literally zero idea of what they will read and cannot plan accordingly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

sudo make me a username wrote:Reading the FAQ here it says messages with "spam-like words" may be denied...

sudo make me a username wrote:By the way I think you should say something about links in the FAQ...

FAQ wrote:8. IF YOUR POST COUNT IS <5: If you have fewer than 5 posts, there's lots of stuff you can't do. Some of it may come back after 2 posts. Who knows.

LINKS: If you can't post links, it's because you have fewer than five posts.
SIGNATURE: ...
IMAGES & ATTACHMENTS: ...
SPAM WORDS: ...

We did say something about links in the FAQ. You just missed it when skimming down to "spam words".

It does not appear that the content of the error message is designed to be variable either, and it's not worth getting our sysadmin involved to play with the code for phpBB's anti-spam mod.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”