Odd old "Quoted by" notifications

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Odd old "Quoted by" notifications

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 am UTC

Today I suddenly receive lots of "Quoted by" notifications from posts from 2014 from various posters.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Re: Odd old "Quoted by" notifications

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:27 am UTC

For example: This morning 09:34 my time I got a notification for this post.
There has been some talk in the 1190:Time thread that this may be due to linking, but there was no post at 0934 this morning in the Time thread (and while not impossible, I consider it unlikely that there is another place on the forums where a random post from the Time thread is linked).

Also I don't see any new old notifications so it seems like the problem has solved itself and it certainly doesn't seem "HELP THE WORLD IS ENDING AND EVERYBODY DIES UNLESS IT IS SOLVED"-critical. I'd even say there is no need to fix anything unless there are more with this issue. But I don't determine priority.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am UTC

To add to the examples, I also received such notifications for this post(09:18 UTC+2), this post(09:44), this post(09:49), and this post(10:11).

All are linked from here where, on rereading the post more carefully, azule mentions having edited the posts to link them together. I suppose editing a post counts as a new submission as far as notifications are concerned.

It's definitely nothing critical, and quite probably too much of a bother to warrant rectifying, still, it's good to know.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:32 am UTC

Last edit time of the post I linked was indeed 0934 (my time) so editing causing it is highly likely.

he/him/his

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am UTC

Edits cause a new notification.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Edits cause a new notification.
... and this is a feature, not a bug. (At least that's how I see it). It brings attention to an edited post where the edit is significant. (Alas, it also brings attention to minor edits; I'm not sure I want the computer to figure out for me what counts as minor and what doesn't. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Edits cause a new notification.

That settles the question, then. I really need to read more carefully before jumping to conclusions >.<
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Return to “Site/Forum issues”