Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Syntax » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

[edited for having an uncommon opinion]
Last edited by Syntax on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Belial » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

I debated moving this to the boneyard, but it can be here instead.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby rachel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Syntax wrote:It seems like one thread in 'General' could have efficiently acted as a catch-all for most of these topics...this just seems to clutter the main page.


Could you imagine the chaos that one big thread of this would be? You don't have to participate if you don't want to. You can even pretend it's not here if that makes you feel better. Don't be a jerk because you don't see the need for something that others (obviously) do. This isn't mandatory, so I don't see how it being there messes your day up any. If it's that big a deal, leave. I'm pretty sure no one would miss you anyway.

In any case I say we make an acne and psoriasis board as well; the two probably afflict more people here and they rest within the "nerdy" theme as well.


Edited (for meanness): Read what Lanicita said, please.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.


j&r-bffl

User avatar
apricity
almost grown-up but not quite
Posts: 3983
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am UTC

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Syntax wrote:In any case I say we make an acne and psoriasis board as well; the two probably afflict more people here and they rest within the "nerdy" theme as well.

As a regular user/mod of Fit Club, a sufferer of occasional breakouts, and a person with psoriasis, I take offense to your post. What, I'm nerdy because I have psoriasis? I'm not nerdy because I want to be in shape? People are using that forum and supporting each other because this is a community. A community that you clearly don't feel it's important to be a part of, considering your whole post was insulting and mocked the entire purpose of the subforum as a positive outlet for people here to use.

For future reference, Fit Club was made so people who are already part of these fora can have the support from the people here, who they already probably know a bit and can trust to be helpful and supportive, in getting healthy, which is hard and requires a lot of motivation. It was decided that it would be a good addition to the fora, so it was added and it will stay. The end.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
Syntax wrote:In any case I say we make an acne and psoriasis board as well; the two probably afflict more people here and they rest within the "nerdy" theme as well.

As a regular user/mod of Fit Club, a sufferer of occasional breakouts, and a person with psoriasis, I take offense to your post. What, I'm nerdy because I have psoriasis? I'm not nerdy because I want to be in shape? People are using that forum and supporting each other because this is a community. A community that you clearly don't feel it's important to be a part of, considering your whole post was insulting and mocked the entire purpose of the subforum as a positive outlet for people here to use.

For future reference, Fit Club was made so people who are already part of these fora can have the support from the people here, who they already probably know a bit and can trust to be helpful and supportive, in getting healthy, which is hard and requires a lot of motivation. It was decided that it would be a good addition to the fora, so it was added and it will stay. The end.


"insulting and mock[ing]"? Way to knock down that straw man. I was merely suggesting that this board was a bit superfluous to the collective interest of this particular site and that it showed no more(less, in fact) warrant for existence than, say, a psoriasis/acne board. I hate to go "slippery slope" on this, but when will we be effecting the "lancita's house is blue" board?

I feel I'm coming off a bit trollish now, so let me say that I'm genuinely sorry if you felt targeted when I brought up the above skin afflictions. Coming from someone who also has both, I assure you I meant no harm in bringing up their comical(and probably nonfactual) correlation with "nerdy-ness". But I still stand by my opinion and personally I think it's silly that this board exists. Show some restraint when considering these things in the future, eh?

User avatar
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: The Ice Pit!
Contact:

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby davef » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Syntax wrote: But I still stand by my opinion and personally I think it's silly that this board exists. Show some restraint when considering these things in the future, eh?


Show some of your own restraint and don't read the Fit Club board.

Jesus, why is this thread even here?
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I'd say this thread has pretty much run its course.


[EDIT] maybe not...I'm going to go ahead a kick a dead horse:


If the mods here feel that it's important to bump pre-existing threads rather than create new ones, why on earth would they be okay with an entire sub-forum of redundant topics? The realm of "Fitness" is not that diverse(at least, not in conversation); every thread on the first page can be said to fit into one of three topics("Exercise", "Diets", "Motivation"), and all of the responses on the first page sum to only about 100. How is this too "chaotic" for one thread? We have threads on the first page of General that have more than ten times this. There's no need for this board.
lanicita wrote:...The end.

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby rachel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 am UTC

[edited for real inappropriateness]
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.


j&r-bffl

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 am UTC

again, with the straw men....


Don't think that just because I feel that this forum doesn't belong here that I'm somehow undervaluing the efforts of those who are trying to lose weight. I have very high respect for those who have the tenacity to try to do something so difficult, so don't try to put words in my mouth towards the ends of eliciting an emotional response out of those who don't agree with me. Also, I can't say I'm too fond of your "if you don't like it, then geeeeeeeeeeet out!" mentality of arguing(the irony that you've posted here is just delicious, though). As you've reverted to name-calling, I think we should sleep on this before continuing.

User avatar
thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess
Posts: 4041
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 am UTC
Location: The-middle-of-bumfuck-nowhere

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby thefiddler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Stop the trolling, Syntax.

It's not funny, it's not appreciated, and you're only making enemies.

Everybody has explained their side, and I'm inclined to say that the reasoning for the board is a fair bit stronger than the reasoning for not having the board.

If it inconveniences you, I'm sure you could just not enter it.

Please, however, refrain from deliberately provoking moderators.

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby Syntax » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:58 am UTC

My bad. Apologies all around.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: Did we really need this board? (Fit Club)

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:29 am UTC

It doesn't affect you. You don't need to take up space in this forum.
lock'd
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting


Return to “Site/Forum issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests