Math markup

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Math markup

Postby Lenary » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:It's TeX LaTeX, so that's what to look around for if anyone else was wondering.

Thanks very much... all is worked out and prettified now...
Last edited by Lenary on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Tumblog

you = me (awesome + clothes)
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes
Lenary

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 am UTC

I wouldn't worry about TeX, I'd head straight to LaTeX if I were you.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Postby b.i.o » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Right. Not sure what I was thinking (or maybe I just wasn't thinking). Fixed my original post so I don't confuse anyone...
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am UTC

So, rather large problem with jsMath. I disabled/enabled it globally testing out options to help the person in this thread.

Now though, whenever I load a thread with jsMath stuff in it, I get what looks like a forum error page that says 'Information: The requested topic cannot be found,' (this thread is only loading for me to post this because noscript is on). Anyone have any ideas?

It flashes the actual thread page for half a second or so, then goes to this url, which is where it gives me the error.
b.i.o

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Indeed. Having clicked on "Go Global", I am now forced to navigate through jsMath/jsMath-global.html?http%3A//forums.xkcd.com/jsMath/test/ instead of through normal url's, when I want to avoid the error b.i.o. just described.

And clicking on "Go Local" doesn't seem to have any effect at all, so I don't see an easy way to undo what I've done. (I'm sure I could fiddle around a bit and change the settings back, but it seems rather bad for there to be one button users can click on which suddenly makes any thread with math markup no longer show up...)

Edit: Okay, if you make the terrible mistake of clicking on "go global", you have to go to the above url and then change "use global" to "never" in the jsMath control panel. Then by going back to the normal forum url you should be back in local mode, which at least doesn't automatically take you to a page that doesn't exist.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby b.i.o » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:05 am UTC

There we go, fixed now, thanks gmalivuk :).
b.i.o

Postby Minerva » Sat May 03, 2008 6:24 am UTC

\hat H \psi\left(\mathbf{r}, t\right) = i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} \left(\mathbf{r}, t\right)

Great Scott, it works!
LaTeX \ \heartsuit
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman
Minerva

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon May 05, 2008 7:49 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Is it going to be compatible with subsilver? I really, *really* don't like prosilver. :(

Seconded. Prosilver is ugly! And wastes so much space in the cell with the username/avatar/etc. Do not want.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby jyripyy » Mon May 05, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Well, jsMath is compatible with subsilver2 in the sense that it doesn't give a crap about skins. It only cares about the math tags, which work fine with both styles. I've made a little greasemonkey script to load it. It's here in case someone wants to have it.
Disclaimer: This is my first greasemonkey script, so there might be some WTFs, but it works, so whatever. :)
jyripyy

Postby Master Gunner » Mon May 05, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Hurrah! It works! You are now my hero.
Master Gunner

Postby ++$_ » Tue May 06, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Give this man a cookie, please!
++$_
Mo' Money

Postby Qoppa » Wed May 07, 2008 1:45 am UTC

oh em gee.

That's incredible and awesome and amazing and...
Spoiler:
Code: Select all
_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}
Qoppa

Postby masher » Wed May 07, 2008 2:14 am UTC

jyripyy wrote:Well, jsMath is compatible with subsilver2 in the sense that it doesn't give a crap about skins. It only cares about the math tags, which work fine with both styles. I've made a little greasemonkey script to load it. It's here in case someone wants to have it.
Disclaimer: This is my first greasemonkey script, so there might be some WTFs, but it works, so whatever. :)

It works for me!

Yay, subsilver and jsMath.... :)
masher

Postby zenten » Wed May 07, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

jyripyy wrote:Well, jsMath is compatible with subsilver2 in the sense that it doesn't give a crap about skins. It only cares about the math tags, which work fine with both styles. I've made a little greasemonkey script to load it. It's here in case someone wants to have it.

Thank you so much!
zenten

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 07, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Too cool.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby btilly » Wed May 07, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

While it is great that it can be made compatible with subsilver, the default for a lot of people is subsilver without the greasemonkey script. For those people the pretty math markup is virtually unreadable.

Is there any chance that subsilver will be edited to include math markup by default?

Edit: I was wrong about what the default is.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.
btilly

Postby Yakk » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Thanks jyripyy! :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby davean » Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 am UTC

btilly wrote:While it is great that it can be made compatible with subsilver, the default for a lot of people is subsilver without the greasemonkey script. For those people the pretty math markup is virtually unreadable.

Is there any chance that subsilver will be edited to include math markup by default?

Edit: I was wrong about what the default is.

No, subsilver2 is too broken to be maintainable.
davean
Site Ninja

Postby Qoppa » Wed May 14, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

jsmath broke for me. The font size dropped back to 100%. Not a big deal I thought, but I can't change it back. I open up the jsmath box in the bottom corner and go options, but nothing happens when I change anything there because what I change doesn't save. All the boxes are unchecked, and I seem to remember there being at least a few checked. Again, if I check any of the boxes, nothing happens and if I go back into the options they've all reverted back to being not checked and 100% math scaling.

Any ideas?

EDIT: The problem seems to be coming from the subsilver greasemonkey script, even when running prosilver. I switched back to prosilver, and that didn't work until I disabled the greasemonkey script. What I find confusing is that it worked fine for a few days before breaking....
Qoppa

Postby jyripyy » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Nice catch, Qoppa.8) I've uploaded a fixed version (same link as the old one). Should work now.
The control panel broke down because the greasemonkey script injected a new instance of jsMath into the control panel's script (loaded in a hidden iframe) causing it to lose the reference to the parent window's jsMath, which isn't a good thing.
Luckily it had a simple solution: Added a new exclude rule for http://forums.xkcd.tld/jsMath/*
jyripyy

Postby Qoppa » Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Excellent, thank you! Let's see if it stays this time.
Qoppa

Postby Random832 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 am UTC

A lot of the stuff at Wikipedia's Help:Math works, since WP also uses LATEX for displaying math.
Random832

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

I noticed that my Firefox updated the Greasemonkey script that jyripyy wrote for this. What was the update exactly?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Yakk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

No, that was greasemonkey getting the update, not the script getting the update.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby hitokiriilh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I'm going to go crazy. I have the jsmath stuff, I downloaded the prosilver style files. I got the typeset to render in Opera ok for a little while then it mysteriously stopped. Everything renders fine in Safari, but I hate Safari. After much googling I'm at wits end: how the junk do I get the LaTex script to render in Opera?

On another note, stuff like bold and italics doesn't show up when I browse the forum. Blargh!
hitokiriilh

Postby davean » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

hitokiriilh wrote:I'm going to go crazy. I have the jsmath stuff, I downloaded the prosilver style files. I got the typeset to render in Opera ok for a little while then it mysteriously stopped. Everything renders fine in Safari, but I hate Safari. After much googling I'm at wits end: how the junk do I get the LaTex script to render in Opera?

On another note, stuff like bold and italics doesn't show up when I browse the forum. Blargh!

Works fine in Opera 9.5 for me ... download the prosilver style files? What do you mean?
davean
Site Ninja

Postby hitokiriilh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Nvm...I'm just an idiot. :lol:
hitokiriilh

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:31 am UTC

So this Echochamber thing has borked the math fonts so that I can't scale them to be bigger, and it makes them somewhat difficult to read. Did/does anybody else have this problem, and can it be fixed?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Mathmagic

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Mathmagic wrote:So this Echochamber thing has borked the math fonts so that I can't scale them to be bigger, and it makes them somewhat difficult to read. Did/does anybody else have this problem, and can it be fixed?

Have you tried going to options and then picking a scaling factor like 150%? I just did that and it worked fine. For sure, your old settings, which were stored on a cookie I believe, aren't going to be in operation, but just reseting your options seems to work fine.
jestingrabbit

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:16 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Mathmagic wrote:So this Echochamber thing has borked the math fonts so that I can't scale them to be bigger, and it makes them somewhat difficult to read. Did/does anybody else have this problem, and can it be fixed?

Have you tried going to options and then picking a scaling factor like 150%? I just did that and it worked fine. For sure, your old settings, which were stored on a cookie I believe, aren't going to be in operation, but just reseting your options seems to work fine.

I tried rescaling them like before, but the settings don't get saved and nothing changes.
Mathmagic

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:22 am UTC

Well that's weird, because I change my options and make them last for longer than a session and they're right there when I come back and the fonts are resized and everything. Do you have cookie settings that might be interfering with jsmath saving your settings?
jestingrabbit

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

I fixed what the problem was. I had to go into the Greasemonkey options and add some inclusions/exclusions to the webpages. I just copied the same inclusions/exclusions as the forums.xkcd.tld/* entries, but used the echochamber domain instead of the forums.xkcd domain.

All the scaling works properly and saves it in the options. Thanks for your help!
Mathmagic

Postby AwesomeJosh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:35 am UTC

I installed the jsmath fonts, but I am still getting small boxes with As inside them for a lot of things. I went back and double checked that I had all of the fonts installed, and I do. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be? I'm on a Mac using Safari 4.
AwesomeJosh

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:17 am UTC

They could be smilies. We're having some problems.
jestingrabbit

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Could you provide a link to some of the posts that are giving you this problem?
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby AwesomeJosh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

Well, I was going to link a post but suddenly, after doing absolutely nothing to my browser or fonts, they started working correctly. I'm perplexed, but the problem appears to have resolved itself, so I'm happy!
AwesomeJosh

Maths Tags not working

Postby GrantSolar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

I was wondering how to fix maths tags showing only the source text. They have been shown all fancily before but no longer.
Any ideas?
GrantSolar

Re: Maths Tags not working

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 am UTC

GrantSolar wrote:I was wondering how to fix maths tags showing only the source text. They have been shown all fancily before but no longer.
Any ideas?

Are you by any chance using subsilver? Try switching to one of the prosilver styles (or just log out, its the default) and look at it again. It works for me when I switch to prosilver.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.
Cynical Idealist

Previous

Return to Site/Forum issues