Free as in Destitute Forum

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Free as in Destitute Forum

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 am UTC

I don't like that the mods felt like they had to make the Free as in Destitute Forum. I thought they were doing a perfectly fine job, and I honestly can't think of anything that I'd want to put there that can't go in any other place. So I'm essentially boycotting them in that I won't post there.

This isn't me sucking up, and I'm not trying to make the forum go away as I realise that some people might actually want to use it. Even though they don't seem to be at the moment.

Just thought I'd say something, as it's just been annoying me for a little while.

Feel free to post your thoughts about it and stuff.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Re: Free as in Destitute Forum

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:28 am UTC

I think this should be in Site/Forum Issues.
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 am UTC

But it isn't a complaint. I'm not suggesting it should be removed or anything. Just saying that it sucks that they had to do that.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Ok. But pretty much any discussion you could have on the topic would get into S/FI territory pretty quickly (why was this necessary, etc.).

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Indeed. This is the forum for discussing the structure and policies of the forums.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:36 am UTC

That is true. Forgive my lack of sense, helen.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Is it just me, or does this thread make no sense?

Probably just me. Carry on.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Is it just me, or does this thread make no sense?

Probably just me. Carry on.

Makes perfect sense to me, what are you confused about.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I cured my confusion. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:22 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:I don't like that the mods felt like they had to make the Free as in Destitute Forum. I thought they were doing a perfectly fine job, and I honestly can't think of anything that I'd want to put there that can't go in any other place. So I'm essentially boycotting them in that I won't post there.

See: What Belial has said many times in the past in far greater detail than I will do here.

ST's Short Version of Belial's Lament - No matter what the hell the administration does, someone thinks it's wrong.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:57 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:But it isn't a complaint. I'm not suggesting it should be removed or anything. Just saying that it sucks that they had to do that.

See what I did there?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:But it isn't a complaint. I'm not suggesting it should be removed or anything. Just saying that it sucks that they had to do that.

See what I did there?

But your first post was a complaint.
michaelandjimi wrote:I don't like that the mods felt like they had to make the Free as in Destitute Forum. I thought they were doing a perfectly fine job, and I honestly can't think of anything that I'd want to put there that can't go in any other place. So I'm essentially boycotting them in that I won't post there.

...How is that not a complaint? Sure, it is a complaint toward the positive, but you're still bemoaning administrative choices.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how people treat this forum.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:32 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how people treat this forum.

Mmm, me too. It could possibly work out well, though people would have to stop just using it as a random text dump for it to be meaningful, in my opinion. I mean, we're keeping our hands out of there to see how people regulate themselves without us, and the forum immediately degenerated into randomness. If that's what you guys want from being unmoderated, I think you can all move along somewhere else.

(Whee! Awesome new discovery, if you select the text you want to quote and hit quote in the topic review it just quotes that text. No more weeding out! Yay!)

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 am UTC

hermaj wrote:(Whee! Awesome new discovery, if you select the text you want to quote and hit quote in the topic review it just quotes that text. No more weeding out! Yay!)

Neat. Although it does +really strange+ things if you have scripts blocked.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 am UTC

hermaj wrote:(Whee! Awesome new discovery, if you select the text you want to quote and hit quote in the topic review it just quotes that text. No more weeding out! Yay!)

Holy crap, so it does!

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 am UTC

Wait, I've known that for ages. :shock: There are things about the forum that I know that the mods don't!

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:42 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Wait, I've known that for ages. :shock: There are things about the forum that I know that the mods don't!

Being a mod doesn't come with a guidebook to phpBB forums, you know... :P

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:46 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Holy crap

@someone with a knowledge of phpBB: Are there any other neat things like this that we don't know about?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Whee! Awesome new discovery
Wow! I left lurkful browsing mode just to say how awesome that is.

Oh, and what forum? FaiD? (Should I put a prophetic L' before the D?) Meh. Out of sight, out of mind. Moderation has already been used with moderation, afaict: don't be stupid and you won't get hurt. Or something like that.

(three ninjas in the time it took to write this? :shock:)

EDIT: Seems to (a) only work in certain situations, (b) behave strangely when you try to quote more than one person at once, and (c) not preserve formatting (like [b]bolded stuff[/b]).
Last edited by Nimz on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LOWA

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:59 am UTC

hyperion wrote:
thefiddler wrote:Holy crap

@someone with a knowledge of phpBB: Are there any other neat things like this that we don't know about?

Awww, but if they tell us, that takes away the fun of discovering them.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 am UTC

[something]
thefiddler wrote:But your first post was a complaint.

...How is that not a complaint? Sure, it is a complaint toward the positive, but you're still bemoaning administrative choices.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how people treat this forum.

But I'm not. I was just saying that I won't post there because I don't feel any need to do that, and that action is similar to boycotting. And I wasn't bemoaning the choice you made in putting it there, I mentioned I can see how some people would want to use it.

I was merely stating that it sucks that you guys felt like you had to do it.

Also, seems like I've gotten a bunch of mods here... I wonder if I can collect them all?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am UTC

I'm surprised (but unaffected) by having been added to the Truly Free group. On one thread in here I tried to differently express others' views for clarity while stating I don't care myself; and in another bemoaned the acceptance of prejudices against a certain group which translates in it's most simplified form to more moderation, not less. I also did on occassion compliment general moderation, which I stand by. I don't mind though, just surprised.

While, like michael and jimi, I don't feel there was a great void in my life where an unmoderated forum should be, I am also interested in seeing which direction it goes. I am going to try participation (at least it gives me the freedom to be a bit more "whoa hold on jerk you don't get to say that to me", which will be therapeutic if nothing else); however I suspect it will just add to my stress problems (I find it easier to stay out of SB than I do not to take things to heart too much).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:07 am UTC

Did I do something bad, or was I added to the group merely because I saw it as it happened and you figured you might as well?
I have an odd feeling (possibly correlatory to the "Have your freedom but lose everything else" bit) that there is bad juju associated with being a member. Either way, I'm probably going to leave.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:17 am UTC

I think some of you are taking the Freedom forum much too seriously. It's not some master plan that we all got together and cooked up. If you don't want to go in it, don't.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 am UTC

Hammer wrote:I think some of you are taking the Freedom forum much too seriously. It's not some master plan that we all got together and cooked up. If you don't want to go in it, don't.

Some of us being me, of course. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

May I ask why editing has been disabled in the free forum and if there is an intention to reintroduce? I must lobby for this most strongly; we are actually having a pretty good and serious discussion on God and it is very frustrating to not be able to correct a small point you may have phrased badly upon inspection.

As an aside, I believe this speaks more to the calibur of people currently posting in that thread currently than to the effectiveness of the experiment, I think it's more coincidental at this point or at least to early to tell. I could of course be wrong too.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

"I misspoke in my earlier post; allow me to clarify: ..."

Where's the problem?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

While I don't know why there isn't the edit ability (if you read the premises it's clear I thought there was), I find it amusing how people are desperate for it in discussions. If you were having a discussion IRL there's no way to take back anything you said. (Which is intensely hypocritical of me, I'll admit, I edit all the time. :P)

I'm not sure if you'll get edit buttons, that's not within my power. I will recommend using the post preview though, it's quite handy to reread your post as it will actually look and I myself have picked up many errors in my own posts by reading the preview.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:38 am UTC

#1 "The mods" didn't have much to do with the FAID forum, davean said "these people are complaining so I'll give them a place to complain in", and lo, it was done.
#2 If you have questions or comments on the function and/or happenings of said forum, feel free to put them in here. If you have something else to say, go somewhere else and say it.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Guys: thefiddler and I are now group leaders for the FAID access group. If you want in, let either of us know and we will arrange it.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:10 am UTC

hermaj wrote:If you want in, let either of us know and we will arrange it.

*snort*
You make it sound like it is some sort of Mafia group and we know all the ins and outs.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
hermaj wrote:If you want in, let either of us know and we will arrange it.

*snort*
You make it sound like it is some sort of Mafia group and we know all the ins and outs.

And then we'll arrange your FACE! :twisted:

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 am UTC

OK, I have been overwhelmed with curiosity and am now going back in. Sorry for being such a [Thinking Person]. I would have put some sort of insult there, but as this thread is populated by mods there is the very real chance that it would have become my title, and I nobody wants that.

So far I have collected:

Belial
davean
SecondTalon
thefiddler
hermaj
Hammer
TheTankengine

and soon I'll have them all. Not including Spitvalve, he isn't one. Or Matt, his appearances are few and far between (though increasing recently). Or Larson, who never leaves his Cave Forum.

I think I should just give up...

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 am UTC

are you looking for the links at the bottom of the screen?

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 am UTC

No. I'm referring to mods in this thread. Unless you were talking to somebody else...

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

What on earth are you talking about collecting? Moreover, we really don't need to be updated as to your participation in the forum. If you want to participate, do. If you don't, don't. We don't need progressive updates. This thread is now pretty much used for questions and updates about the FAID forum, anyway.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:So far I have collected:

Belial
davean
SecondTalon
thefiddler
hermaj
Hammer
TheTankengine

and soon I'll have them all. Not including Spitvalve, he isn't one. Or Matt, his appearances are few and far between (though increasing recently). Or Larson, who never leaves his Cave Forum.

I think I should just give up...

Please remember that this is still Site / Forum Issues and that this post was not on topic.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

I would like to have access to this forum just so I could tell what the hell y'all were TALKING about...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Yes, I'm also curious about this hidden forum place. I've gathered a few things about it form reading the above, but I'm still quite curious.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Um, it's an open group, anyone can apply to join. Go to usergroups in the user control panel.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”